The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

asylum resto staff & nightblades

Lynx7386
Lynx7386
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So I got an asylum resto staff tonight (finally) and was going to use it on my nightblade healer, who makes use of combat prayer far more frequently as a burst heal than my templar healer does, only to realize that the reduced cost for magicka and stamina healing abilities does not apply to funnel health, sap essence, or refreshing path. Very disappointed...
PS4 / NA
M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it explicitly says "healing abilities" and those skills damage as well as heal. Manage your expectations better and you will be less disappointed in life.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it explicitly says "healing abilities" and those skills damage as well as heal. Manage your expectations better and you will be less disappointed in life.

So they are healing AND damaging abilities? They're still in parts healing abilities so I don't see why your argument has anything to do with expectations...
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • jimijac0me
    jimijac0me
    ✭✭✭
    Hahahaha Ikr, Temp sweeps procs on heal abilities, SO SILLY to presume the same on other classes lol
    Edited by jimijac0me on February 27, 2018 1:06PM
    Guild Leader Rats of Tobruk (RoT) DC PVP Guild
    Jacome Enakis (DC NB)
    Jacome Dibella (DC Sorc)
    Tealc Enakis (DC DK)
    Jacome Lightbringer (DC Templar)
    Jacome Gro-Longenfirm (DC Sorc)
    Baron Humbert Von Gikken (DC Warden)
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

So they are healing AND damaging abilities? They're still in parts healing abilities so I don't see why your argument has anything to do with expectations...
    No, they are damaging abilities that also happen to heal.

After a while you learn to navigate the subtleties in ZoSspeak, because they are very, very important.

Every skill in the game has a primary function. Unless it's a blanket buff (% increased healing, for instance), the secondary effects of the skill don't come into play.

Another way to look at it is that the staff does work for those aspects, reducing their already zero cost (for the heal portion) by 45%.

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on February 27, 2018 1:18PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    So I got an asylum resto staff tonight (finally) and was going to use it on my nightblade healer, who makes use of combat prayer far more frequently as a burst heal than my templar healer does, only to realize that the reduced cost for magicka and stamina healing abilities does not apply to funnel health, sap essence, or refreshing path. Very disappointed...

I mean... for dungeons, combat prayer for a burst heal isnt really necessary. Healing output between path, funnel health ticks and mutagen is all the healing you need, which makes maelstrom the better resto staff for 4 man and even some trials. For most trials, where springs takes mutagens spot, master resto staff is slightly better. Nb sustain is perfectly fine, the reduced cost from the asylum staff is almost a non factor.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess ill run it on my templar then.
    PS4 / NA
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter whether they are arbitrarily damage or heal skills.

The Asylum Resto staff, at least according to the wiki, only reduces the cost of Resto Staff skills.http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Asylum+Weapons

I noticed that the cost of Energy Orb wasn't getting reduced when I tried using it on my healer.

Though honestly, even if it did reduce the cost of all heal skills, I can't see using it over the Master Resto Staff.
    Kiss the chaos.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It definitely works for breath of life, probably other templar heals but not for ritual
    PS4 / NA
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It definitely works for breath of life, probably other templar heals but not for ritual

I'll test it out when I can. Either way, I can't see the Asylum Resto replacing the Master Resto. In 4 man content you'd probably even get better results from the vMA Resto than Asylum.
    Kiss the chaos.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Illurian wrote: »

I'll test it out when I can. Either way, I can't see the Asylum Resto replacing the Master Resto. In 4 man content you'd probably even get better results from the vMA Resto than Asylum.

Well I don't have any of those yet, asylum resto is my first weapon set drop, so I'm just trying to benefit from it where I can.
    PS4 / NA
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I don't have any of those yet, asylum resto is my first weapon set drop, so I'm just trying to benefit from it where I can.

Oh, well it's certainly better than a random staff. Just as long as it isn't your final destination.
    Kiss the chaos.
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭

None of those are healing abilities. They are siphoning and shadow abilities.

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter whether they are arbitrarily damage or heal skills.
    It absolutely matters. It's the defining point.

It's the difference between a healing skill that happens to damage (Ritual of Retribution) and a damage skill that happens to heal (Funnel Health). Primary function determines the main purpose of the skill.

If it didn't matter, every skill that you crit with while Surge is active would also get discounted cost. Can you see why that would make zero sense?

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »

I mean... for dungeons, combat prayer for a burst heal isnt really necessary. Healing output between path, funnel health ticks and mutagen is all the healing you need, which makes maelstrom the better resto staff for 4 man and even some trials. For most trials, where springs takes mutagens spot, master resto staff is slightly better. Nb sustain is perfectly fine, the reduced cost from the asylum staff is almost a non factor.

This CAN be true, but not necessarily... I think the thing that makes these HOT ticks really work is when they CRIT, which is obviously depended on both high crit chance and boosts to crit damage. Then it's a truly beautiful thing.

It seems like it's more important to put into CP for crit damage boost than blessed for healing... you get a nice DPS boost as well. Luv REFRESHING PATH :)