Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MAGBLADE pvp theorycrafting

• Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    technohic wrote: »
    Speaking of that. How much do you guys see the shield go up for a full 5 piece Necro compared to the 4 piece? I seem to see about 1200 base points higher shield or so just rough estimate (not able to go pop shades out to confirm right now from work) I suppose with bastion that will inflate it/round up to around 1500? In Cyrodiil thats 750 points.

Just bad estimations here but I guess what I am getting at is; is the 5th piece necro worth it when you can use that piece for an extra monster set piece or master/VMA weapon?

Why not both?

Yes, Necro 5pc adds a marginal amount to your shield size, but it also adds a decentamount if damage as well.
    You could drop the Necro 5pc for something that would add more defense(wizards, trans) or more offense(spinners, BSW) but there isn’t a set that gives the balance of both.

I personally hate 5 Necro on mageblade, outside of duels, while others swear by it, since shade requires a target so you don’t get the bonus sustain that a larger magika pool would usually give. I think 5 shackle 4 Necro 1 Domi vma+masters is superior to 5 Necro 5 shackle + staves. It’s not better than 3 willpower 1 domi 1 Max mag/spell damage with the staves though.

So you're giving up ~2k mag (from the set bonus alone, ignoring multipliers) for ~1k stam? I mean yeah the domi mag is active at all times, but face to face against a 5p necro I can't see domi doing as good tbf.

Speaking of which, I've also tried shackle/necro/staves today. It's a great setup, very strong!
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    So @Adenoma @Lexxypwns

I had been kinda torn on what sets to run with my 2h build. Had been running 5 juli 5 riposte 2 zaan because why not, give me some tank to stand and proc zaan. I had a full set of shackle and spinners (no vma resto :( ) so I figure what the hell and I go craft myself a shackle 2h. Been running it the last couple nights and I'm really impressed with it. I obviously don't have the defense like my other setup, have to be alot more elusive which is perfect with image working. The burst potential is awesome, I'm definitely having my opinion changed on post nerf spinners.

The thing about spinners is the 5pc is a bit weaker than some sets, but 2x max mag and 1x spell damage is great for pvp. As long as you have decent base damage levels you’ll be good with spinners, I don’t think it shines as your only offensive set though. However with Shackle adding a bit of damage as well and the nice overall burst of mageblade the extra pen is really really nice imo
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »
    Speaking of that. How much do you guys see the shield go up for a full 5 piece Necro compared to the 4 piece? I seem to see about 1200 base points higher shield or so just rough estimate (not able to go pop shades out to confirm right now from work) I suppose with bastion that will inflate it/round up to around 1500? In Cyrodiil thats 750 points.

Just bad estimations here but I guess what I am getting at is; is the 5th piece necro worth it when you can use that piece for an extra monster set piece or master/VMA weapon?

Why not both?

Yes, Necro 5pc adds a marginal amount to your shield size, but it also adds a decentamount if damage as well.
    You could drop the Necro 5pc for something that would add more defense(wizards, trans) or more offense(spinners, BSW) but there isn’t a set that gives the balance of both.

I personally hate 5 Necro on mageblade, outside of duels, while others swear by it, since shade requires a target so you don’t get the bonus sustain that a larger magika pool would usually give. I think 5 shackle 4 Necro 1 Domi vma+masters is superior to 5 Necro 5 shackle + staves. It’s not better than 3 willpower 1 domi 1 Max mag/spell damage with the staves though.

So you're giving up ~2k mag (from the set bonus alone, ignoring multipliers) for ~1k stam? I mean yeah the domi mag is active at all times, but face to face against a 5p necro I can't see domi doing as good tbf.

Speaking of which, I've also tried shackle/necro/staves today. It's a great setup, very strong!

Well; I am running 5-5-1 now; 2h and resto double barring both Shackle and necro/spinners/warmaiden and 1 piece grothdar depending on my mood so I was thinking of a 2 piece monster set.
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    guys, i play verry successful my mageblade as a destro bomb in my cryo guild group.

where i struggle is bgs

i tried now several specs, all with golden weapons:

2h/restro caluurions spinners 1 domi (was my best results FM is too good, but it feels kinda same as my stamblade)

dw/restro caluurions amberplasm 2 skoria (slowed to dead.. unplayable)

destro restro spinners front lich back 2 skoria (okeyish my sorc feels alot stronger... its kinda weak sorc)

what is the probably best build for solo/premade bgs?

i do pretty well on my stamden stamblade mageplar stamplar and magsorc. i feel magnb is the hardest class to learn properly. any advices to how to improove myself? any pro tipps here?^^

/Edit. Since this topic is highly overloaded i create a new one with my questions.
    Edited by Trashs1 on February 21, 2018 7:49AM
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • MrDenimChicken
    MrDenimChicken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abstraqt wrote: »
    Just scrolling through and thought of throw in my opinions, I only play mag nb so I hope it helps (they are just opinions, run whatever you like I'm just saying what I personally think)

Spinners is a waste, go warmaiden

Wizards reposte is a waste, you get the same thing from fear and shade (I saw the "what if you've got 5 people on you?" Argument and let's face it, you're dead either way.)

All you need is necropotence, willpower and a monster set

Dual wield does work but it's only alright for duels

Shacklebreaker is also really good

Whatever you're doing you need between 1.8-2.2k regen

Stacking into max mag is your best bet as it's super easy on a NB

Amber plasm > lich

Spell damage doesn't matter just get high max mag

Skoria or infernal for monster set

If you go destro get the masters inferno staff

Light armour all the way, heavy armour nb's had their time but it's gone now

If you want to go one piece undaunted sets just stack max mag again

The new gold clockwork city food or witchmothers brew for food/drink

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

Soul tether or soul harvest for ult front bar & resto ult back

Spam cripple to control people

Questions? I have various build vids on my channel and lots of vids showcasing them in various situations.

I play on ps4 EU so my answers are tailored for the players on that system, feel free to ask questions :)

v - one of my vids.

https://youtu.be/PBTT7-yQAUM

Awesome points. quick questions:

Out of these builds, what do you think would be best? (all using destro/resto)

1) Warmaiden / Lich / Skoria

2) Warmaiden / Amberplasm / Domihaus

3) Shacklebreaker / Necro (5 piece)/domihaus

4) Shacklebreaker / Necro (4 piece) / Skoria

5) Shacklebreaker / Amberplasm / Domihaus
    Edited by MrDenimChicken on February 22, 2018 4:27AM
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just scrolling through and thought of throw in my opinions, I only play mag nb so I hope it helps (they are just opinions, run whatever you like I'm just saying what I personally think)

Wizards reposte is a waste, you get the same thing from fear and shade (I saw the "what if you've got 5 people on you?" Argument and let's face it, you're dead either way.)

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

Questions? I have various build vids on my channel and lots of vids showcasing them in various situations.

I play on ps4 EU so my answers are tailored for the players on that system, feel free to ask questions :)

v - one of my vids.

Depends on bar setup
    Edited by kaithuzar on February 22, 2018 6:23AM
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

v - one of my vids.

"Awesome points"

He didn't make a single good point. For someone that claims he's the best magblade on the platform, he was extremely narrow minded (and his videos weren't even impressive so I either question the other players on his platform or his claim on being the "best")
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Amber plasm > lich

Atro mundus

2k - 2.5k crit resist

v - one of my vids.

It depends on how you play. It doesn't matter if a build is best for someone else. For example for my playstyle war maiden/ amberplasm would be best. But for others who like to play with damage shields necro/shackle would be better. If you are someone who loves to be really aggressive and spam attacks Maybe lich would be better. There are also other good builds out there like spinner/transmutation which offer more passive defenses than the build listed
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so range magblades, or I guess any magblade really. I really have to delay the light attack weave with swallow soul and cripple. I am thinking going less recovery, more damage and just applying my swallow soul to keep the HOT going rather than weave it, just apply cripple for the DOT/Root, but then rushing my light attacks back to back to get to the bow proc faster so less spamming pressure and hurry to a burst window. Thoughts?

I just really am disliking the Swallow Soul weave.
    Edited by technohic on February 23, 2018 2:33AM
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so range magblades, or I guess any magblade really. I really have to delay the light attack weave with swallow soul and cripple. I am thinking going less recovery, more damage and just applying my swallow soul to keep the HOT going rather than weave it, just apply cripple for the DOT/Root, but then rushing my light attacks back to back to get to the bow proc faster so less spamming pressure and hurry to a burst window. Thoughts?

Yeah the weave is a clunky *** show. Probably the most awkward weave in game, which is funny being on the class that heavily relies on a weave. I have totally done that but you're always gonna come up a little short on damage without the weave.

You could build for it using like torugs, knight slayer, shield breaker, elegant or kena 2pc. I've run a build with elegant and knightslayer with a lightning staff, it was actually pretty fun and trolly because you're a magblade who can escape easilly. Never figured out how to deal with shield stack sorcs but it would wreck people if I caught them without shields up.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I was thinking has anyone tried zaan paired with soul assault? My comment above has me wanting to try another fun cheese build. It might work but I'm wondering if the channel movement speed will ruin it
    Edited by Datthaw on February 23, 2018 12:12PM
  • NoFlash
    NoFlash
    ✭✭✭
    Trashs1 wrote: »
    guys, i play verry successful my mageblade as a destro bomb in my cryo guild group.

where i struggle is bgs

i tried now several specs, all with golden weapons:

2h/restro caluurions spinners 1 domi (was my best results FM is too good, but it feels kinda same as my stamblade)

dw/restro caluurions amberplasm 2 skoria (slowed to dead.. unplayable)

destro restro spinners front lich back 2 skoria (okeyish my sorc feels alot stronger... its kinda weak sorc)

what is the probably best build for solo/premade bgs?

i do pretty well on my stamden stamblade mageplar stamplar and magsorc. i feel magnb is the hardest class to learn properly. any advices to how to improove myself? any pro tipps here?^^

/Edit. Since this topic is highly overloaded i create a new one with my questions.

What is your group destro bomb build/setup if you don't mind me asking?
    Daggerfall Covenant

The Ninja Squirrels
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »
    I use fear trap on both my bowblade & melee magblade - after you get used to it you'll never want to swap back to the morph that fears only two targets & triggers GCD when you need to burst down your opponent.

It’s funny how I was called insane when I listed that as a NB buff at the time it got introduced.
    Edited by Feanor on February 23, 2018 12:21PM
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My suggestion is just practice with the strife weave. It's not clunky really it's just different. I been playing magblade so long that I can weave strife no problem but suck at weaving on other classes lol. I don't think just light attacking would be viable. You wouldn't be able to apply enough pressure to kill anyone competent. A burst window doesn't do any good if you aren't applying pressure
  • runningtings
    runningtings
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running 5 Shackle, 4 Necro, 2 Skoria at the moment.
    I don't feel its optimum for my playstyle, Skoria doesn't proc often enough for a start.

Think I need to try and update my build for more damage, so swapping out Necro for a damage set and using 1 piece Grothdarr or Kena
    // DC / EU PC// Garión<< The Black >>
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »

Yeah the weave is a clunky *** show. Probably the most awkward weave in game, which is funny being on the class that heavily relies on a weave. I have totally done that but you're always gonna come up a little short on damage without the weave.

You could build for it using like torugs, knight slayer, shield breaker, elegant or kena 2pc. I've run a build with elegant and knightslayer with a lightning staff, it was actually pretty fun and trolly because you're a magblade who can escape easilly. Never figured out how to deal with shield stack sorcs but it would wreck people if I caught them without shields up.

I had tried 2 piece Kena on a sorc overload build and was pretty funny. Might be even better on a magblade. You can buff in cloak then cripple-la-strife-LA-strife-LA-LA->burst combo I suppose and at least shorten the weave cycle.

My suggestion is just practice with the strife weave. It's not clunky really it's just different. I been playing magblade so long that I can weave strife no problem but suck at weaving on other classes lol. I don't think just light attacking would be viable. You wouldn't be able to apply enough pressure to kill anyone competent. A burst window doesn't do any good if you aren't applying pressure

Yeah. I was practicing last night on mammoths and giants. I can do it but it’s not nearly as quick as if I run force pulse and weave that. In PVP; that short delay I have to allow is enough to where I can take pressure and may have to rotate a shield in. I’ve thought about giving up resto 2h to go back full range with resto- destro and actually replace strife with force pulse.
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy - vicious death and phoenix sets, magicka detonation, destro ultimate and stealth.......boom!
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    Currently trying Spell Power Cure backbar with Wizard Riposte frontbar and Valkyn Skoria (destro/resto).

Reason for SPC is that i want a backbar set that affects my frontbar too. Did not pick Lich as i dont really need the sustain from it, and did not put Wizars Riposte on my backbar, as that is my cloak/kite bar and i dont expect to be hit much on that bar.

Have only done a couple of rounds with this setup, but so far im very pleased with it.
    Edited by Dudis on February 23, 2018 3:50PM
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dudis wrote: »
    Currently trying Spell Power Cure backbar with Wizard Riposte frontbar and Valkyn Skoria (destro/resto).

Reason for SPC is that i want a backbar set that affects my frontbar too. Did not pick Lich as i dont really need the sustain from it, and did not put Wizars Riposte on my backbar, as that is my cloak/kite bar and i dont expect to be hit much on that bar.

Have only done a couple of rounds with this setup, but so far im very pleased with it.

On destro/resto mageblade putting wizards front bar is a smart call if you’re choosing to run wizards because it lends itself to staying aggressive
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lexxypwns how would you sustain stamina on lich/riposte/skoria? I assume you'd run tristat but even then I feel like you'd need another source of stam rec, heck I'm having trouble sustaining stam in noCP with amber/shackle... (albeit when I'm "having trouble" it's usually cause I try to carry a ball/flag)

EDIT: *** wrong thread, meant to post this in the other noCP BGs thread :lol:
    Edited by Subversus on February 23, 2018 4:29PM
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Lexxypwns how would you sustain stamina on lich/riposte/skoria? I assume you'd run tristat but even then I feel like you'd need another source of stam rec, heck I'm having trouble sustaining stam in noCP with amber/shackle... (albeit when I'm "having trouble" it's usually cause I try to carry a ball/flag)

Leeching, tri-pots, argonian
    Edited by Lexxypwns on February 23, 2018 4:31PM
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Leeching, tri-pots, argonian

Tripots might be the ace in the sleeve here. I'm too cheap for em, using regular mag pots :( I probably won't use leeching as I like to duel with my character as well, and thanks to addons all I have to do is click a single button and my builds change within seconds.
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heavy armour. Riposte. Zaan.

:trollface::trollface::trollface:
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vermintide wrote: »
    Heavy armour. Riposte. Zaan.

:trollface::trollface::trollface:

You forgot acuity for Templar, elf bane for DK, hrm shackle for Warden?, And go f yourself for sorc
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heavy for zaan why? You lose out on the free light armor pen
    Edited by Lexxypwns on February 23, 2018 10:31PM
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

General conseus is that you build for tankyness and let zaan do the job for you. Every person that I've dueled that was wearing zaan had the set as their nr1 damage source (around 40% of their total damage done) according to my addon. Same thing works with skoria or troll king imo (at least for duels).

Build for tankyness and skoria does most of the job. Build for damage (maiden/alch for example) and troll king does the survivability. That's usually how it is in my eyes.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

General conseus is that you build for tankyness and let zaan do the job for you. Every person that I've dueled that was wearing zaan had the set as their nr1 damage source (around 40% of their total damage done) according to my addon. Same thing works with skoria or troll king imo (at least for duels).

Build for tankyness and skoria does most of the job. Build for damage (maiden/alch for example) and troll king does the survivability. That's usually how it is in my eyes.

But penetration is the most efficient way to build for zaan damage and the bests source of that: light armor 5pc.

I’m not saying you can’t run it on whatever, I just can’t see why you would give up that free bonus zaan damage on a mageblade when you can just kite throughout the cooldown
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But penetration is the most efficient way to build for zaan damage and the bests source of that: light armor 5pc.

I’m not saying you can’t run it on whatever, I just can’t see why you would give up that free bonus zaan damage on a mageblade when you can just kite throughout the cooldown

I haven't actually used zaan, it was just a thought I guess. I really don't have many problems with zaan (at least on magblade) now that I figured it out. It almost never procs if you're st range, and if it hasn't procced in a while and the enemy comes in melee range then you can expect a proc within a few GCDs, so just set up for a long distance teleport to your shade. Magblade (/stamblade) is arguably the best class you can use to counter zaan. You can also purge it as a templar, so that's pretty much useless against them as well.

The set is still beast against stationary tanks and stam builds though. Idk tbf, my opinions on it have changed one week into the patch.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I haven't actually used zaan, it was just a thought I guess. I really don't have many problems with zaan (at least on magblade) now that I figured it out. It almost never procs if you're st range, and if it hasn't procced in a while and the enemy comes in melee range then you can expect a proc within a few GCDs, so just set up for a long distance teleport to your shade. Magblade (/stamblade) is arguably the best class you can use to counter zaan. You can also purge it as a templar, so that's pretty much useless against them as well.

The set is still beast against stationary tanks and stam builds though. Idk tbf, my opinions on it have changed one week into the patch.

“Purge it” doesn’t work against mageblade. With mark, incap, DoTs the odds you purge zaan on first GCD aren’t great.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on February 23, 2018 11:15PM
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭

Because it's a melee range proc set. You want to stay alive long enough for it to proc in the first place.

Also because it's trollier that way, hence the trollfaces.