Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Easiest class for vMA clearing?

• Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peekachu99 wrote: »
    Mag Sorc. This isn’t up for debate.

It actually is.

All the sorc nerfs have added up. A no pet build is considerably more difficult than it once was so if people do not like pets, I would recommend another class.

Are you really going to use this opportunity to have a passive-aggressive cry about “sorc nerfs”? No other class can:

- Stack two shields, with one 30% more powerful than any other shield in the game.
    - Has built in Regen, Damage Modifiers, cost reduction, HP buffs, and AN EXECUTE. Built in EXECUTE as in you literally press no buttons.
    - Has the same mobility and cc break.
    - Has a heal as powerful as Dark Deal, which heals TWO RESOURCES—in PVP now, it’s again uninterruptible for a time after the first cast.
    - Has so much CC and defensive CC.
    - Sacrifices little to no defence for offence.

I know I’ve missed a bunch, but the nerfs have done nothing to the overall OPness of the class in their attempts to being the utility and power level in line with others. I have a sorc, I love him, and I can be honest about the class’s strengths.

They’re the easiest and most forgiving class to learn/ clear VMA. Leaderboards and history proves that. If another class were better at VMA, we’d know by now. NB is a close second, but still falls behind in utility and sheer power.

You can get to 40k+ Magicka with tristat glyphs, so I’m not sure why you’d need pets and necropotence.

From what I understood of Joy_Division's point, Magsorc with pets might be easiest, but magsorc with no pets is considerably harder. I believe it, I've been very reliant on my Twilight Matriarch's heals as I'm running VMA for the first time.

But if someone doesn't like using pets, I can certainly see where another class would be easier. I'm finding about the same level of difficulty running a stam sorc through as my pet-build magsorc with a little practice.

Pets are a crutch—an unnecessary one. Try this for baby’s first VMA:

Fortified Brass
    Lich
    Infernal Guardian
    Hardened Ward

40k mag, Infinite sustain, massive shields, next to no damage when they break, and constant healing. I got Flawless on my third try with that setup. And any of the annoying ranged adds you see at once with infernal guardian’s proc.

Are you using 4 piece Lich or 4-piece Fortified?

Probably 5 lich on back bar and 5 brass on front. With how lich works, when you get low on magicka you just bar swap to activate the 5pc bonus and then swap back. Its a common trick for healers who have resource issues.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It actually is.

All the sorc nerfs have added up. A no pet build is considerably more difficult than it once was so if people do not like pets, I would recommend another class.

Are you really going to use this opportunity to have a passive-aggressive cry about “sorc nerfs”? No other class can:

- Stack two shields, with one 30% more powerful than any other shield in the game.
    - Has built in Regen, Damage Modifiers, cost reduction, HP buffs, and AN EXECUTE. Built in EXECUTE as in you literally press no buttons.
    - Has a heal as powerful as Dark Deal, which heals TWO RESOURCES—in PVP now, it’s again uninterruptible for a time after the first cast.

I know I’ve missed a bunch, but the nerfs have done nothing to the overall OPness of the class in their attempts to being the utility and power level in line with others. I have a sorc, I love him, and I can be honest about the class’s strengths.

They’re the easiest and most forgiving class to learn/ clear VMA. Leaderboards and history proves that. If another class were better at VMA, we’d know by now. NB is a close second, but still falls behind in utility and sheer power.

You can get to 40k+ Magicka with tristat glyphs, so I’m not sure why you’d need pets and necropotence.

From what I understood of Joy_Division's point, Magsorc with pets might be easiest, but magsorc with no pets is considerably harder. I believe it, I've been very reliant on my Twilight Matriarch's heals as I'm running VMA for the first time.

But if someone doesn't like using pets, I can certainly see where another class would be easier. I'm finding about the same level of difficulty running a stam sorc through as my pet-build magsorc with a little practice.

Fortified Brass
    Lich
    Infernal Guardian
    Hardened Ward

40k mag, Infinite sustain, massive shields, next to no damage when they break, and constant healing. I got Flawless on my third try with that setup. And any of the annoying ranged adds you see at once with infernal guardian’s proc.

5 lich, sword and board front bar (only four piece but still lots of Regen on your destroyer bar). That’s your bunker bar, which every sorc should have. 5 five Brass. 2 piece monster.
    Edited by Peekachu99 on February 17, 2018 3:36PM
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It actually is.

Fortified Brass
    Lich
    Infernal Guardian
    Hardened Ward

It actually is.

- Has insane mobility and cc break.

Wat? LOL

It seems you have no idea what you are talking about nor how pve or pvp works.
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vahrokh wrote: »

We are in 2018, Dragon Bones patch.

Shift happens.

Highest leaderboard scores are all sorcerers, still. So no shift has occurred. Data speaks for itself.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Shift happens.

Highest leaderboard scores are all sorcerers, still. So no shift has occurred. Data speaks for itself.

Highest is NB with 605k on PC/EU atm (607k on PV/NA last patch)...
    Noobplar
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zer0oo wrote: »

It actually is.

Fortified Brass
    Lich
    Infernal Guardian
    Hardened Ward

It actually is.

- Has insane mobility and cc break.

Wat? LOL

It seems you have no idea what you are talking about nor how pve or pvp works.

You’ve literally not presented any kind of counter argument or facts so I can’t take you seriously. Nothing that I’ve said is incorrect. PVP immunity is a thing now in dragon bones, do keep up. You can only interrupt a channeled ability ONCE, then the target gets immunty for the next for 5s or so.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It actually is.

Fortified Brass
    Lich
    Infernal Guardian
    Hardened Ward

5 lich, sword and board front bar (only four piece but still lots of Regen on your destroyer bar). That’s your bunker bar, which every sorc should have. 5 five Brass. 2 piece monster.

I might have to try it out. I'm still thinking that experience and not gear makes the biggest difference for me, but it'd be nice to be proved wrong. :)
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Destruent wrote: »

Shift happens.

Scores, plural. Not just who is best for this week. I’ll check the overall tally when I logon in a bit. Are all the top 10 NBs? Or is that an outlier?
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Shift happens.

Scores, plural. Not just who is best for this week. I’ll check the overall tally when I logon in a bit. Are all the top 10 NBs? Or is that an outlier?

Check it yourself:
    https://esoleaderboards.com/leaderboards
    Noobplar
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka sorcs are certainly nice in vMA, and it’s an all-around great class to solo content with, but for your first clear, I would recommend to go in with whichever character you are most comfortable playing: if you’ve had a lot of practice playing a stamsorc, then it might be better to just finish his build than changing him to a magsorc. I think having a class that you are well-versed in, an easy rotation, and a reasonable build, will work a lot better than an unfamiliar class, skill rotation, and a BiS build.

Nevertheless, if you do decide to go in with a magsorc, I would advice you to simplify your rotation as much as you can, and chose utility over dps, at least until you learn the arena. The first clear is an exercise in trial, error, and patience; you won't really know what set-up works for you unless you go in and try things for yourself. There are many helpful guides on builds for vMA, but you should always adjust them to your preferences and playstyle. I used a non-pet build for my sorc clear, (and a non-pet, no-frags build for my flawless clear) because for me that was the easiest configuration, even though it was a dps loss.

Good luck, and whatever class you chose, one thing is for sure: you will have learned it very well when you come out of your first clear :smile:
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Shift happens.

Huh, NB just edges out sorc > all the rest (Warden lol). I stand corrected. Thanks for the link, btw.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Shift happens.

Huh, NB just edges out sorc > all the rest (Warden lol). I stand corrected. Thanks for the link, btw.

You're welcome :smiley:
    Noobplar
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry but 5xBrass+5lich+s&b is useless on a sorc in pve
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I really wouldnt use brass on anyone except a tank in pve, though it is a good pvp set especially if made in impen.
    PS4 / NA
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armatesz wrote: »
    A magsorc, specifically pet sorc. It's amazingly OP in vMA. 5xNecro, 5xJulianos, 1xValkyn (for the health).

All you really need to use is LL, Elemental Blockade, Pet, and heavy attack. Use destro staff ulti on the bosses. No other class has a nearly 30k shield and autoheal (power surge) like the pet sorc does. I do recommend getting the undaunted mettle passive first if you haven't already, and use witchmother's brew for infinite sustain.

I'm pretty sure my barrier shield has far more than just 30k shield...

While this is a fair point, it's worth remembering that Barrier is an ultimate. You're giving up your ability to burn the bosses with it if you go that route. That said, I mean, it is an excellent panic button, but it really shines in group content (and PvP) rather than in Maelstrom.

If done right, you know resto staff barrier can hit around 30k as well.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ch4mpTW wrote: »
    A magsorc, specifically pet sorc. It's amazingly OP in vMA. 5xNecro, 5xJulianos, 1xValkyn (for the health).

All you really need to use is LL, Elemental Blockade, Pet, and heavy attack. Use destro staff ulti on the bosses. No other class has a nearly 30k shield and autoheal (power surge) like the pet sorc does. I do recommend getting the undaunted mettle passive first if you haven't already, and use witchmother's brew for infinite sustain.

Why would you use Witchmorher’s on a heavy attack build...? The heavy attacks assist with your resource sustain as is. If anything, I’d recommend a CP150 blue food that increases max health and max magicka. That way your pets will hit harder, and your wards will be stronger. Your resource recovery is pretty much irrelevant, as the constant heavy attacks take care of all that.

Also, I personally wouldn’t run Power Surge or any of the Surges. There’s no need for it. But again, that right there is entirely dependent upon a player’s comfort in their build. Twilight Matriarch is more than good enough, although I have been known to use Mutagen with a Maelstrom’s Restoration Staff on my back bar (if going the “Destro-Resto” route).

The reason I recommended it is because I understand how much of a struggle it is for people who aren't perfect doing vMA for their first time. If you haven't fully learned the timing, mechanics, spawns, rotation, etc., then it's really easy to mess up and forget about things. You might be in the middle of a heavy attack when some hard hitting mechanic comes at you and you need to block or dodge roll - so no resource return from the interrupted heavy attack.

Obviously I wouldn't recommend witchmother's to someone who's been through vMA many times and wants to optimize their pet sorc. But here OP is talking about struggling a lot with getting through it the first time, so I think that the huge sustain from witchmother's + large shields + autoheal (power surge) would be more beneficial to a first time than squeezing out the absolute highest damage. And I say this as someone who's recently helped "guide" a couple friends through vMA for their first time, so I've heard what they've struggled with. Sustain and missing things on your rotation is really a big problem on your first time through.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't think there's really such a thing as a VMA class, a VMA build or a VMA meta. I've found that you can only "build" your way through the first four stages, the last five can't be beat with theorycrafting. The key to VMA is learning mechanics, target priorities and spawn locations. Once you learn all that stuff, you can complete VMA easily on any class - there are plenty of videos on YouTube to prove it.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • DRAGON_KILLER_HUNTER
    DRAGON_KILLER_HUNTER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    argonian stamblade it is
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been trying and I still just suck at vma. Even with hardened ward and 20k health (20k wards too), I"m getting flattened and finding that I'm spending 90% of my time just trying to recast ward, which means i have low damage output.

Right now i'm stuck on seht's arena, with all the damn spinning blades and the three centurions at the end you have to fight all at once. Each of those blades that hits me drops my shield almost instantly, and if I get hit by another I'm pretty much dead.

The build I'm using:

5x Necropotence
    3x ancient grace (dont have willpower yet, it's pricey these days)
    2x maw of the infernal / ilambris (tried both, better results with maw, but still terrible, need to get infernal guardian still)

I have between 48-51k max magicka depending on whether i use maw or ilambris, ilambris gives better stats due to undaunted passives while my maw set is all light.

My skill bars:

front bar (lightning staff):
    daedric prey
    hardened ward
    volatile familiar
    bound aegis
    twilight matriarch
    greater storm atronach

back bar (lightning staff):
    liquid lightning
    elemental blockade
    volatile familiar
    bound aegis
    twilight matriarch
    Suppression field

I've tried using inner light in place of either the matriarch (bad idea, i lose my main heal then) or bound aegis, but neither seems to yield better results. I dont have inner light maxxed yet and my mage's guild rank is too low to make use of the passives, so I get more max magicka out of bound aegis right now, in addition to the spell power from sorc passives and extra resistance.

I hardly ever get to use my back bar because I'm always stuck on the front bar spamming the hell out of ward to stay alive.
    PS4 / NA
  • hondelink
    hondelink
    ✭✭✭
    @lynxx24_ESO quick thoughts, have you tried using power surge, that and ward should be enough to keep you alive. know healing with the twilight costs a lot of magicka.
  • hondelink
    hondelink
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by hondelink on February 22, 2018 12:04AM
  • hondelink
    hondelink
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by hondelink on February 22, 2018 12:04AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    I've been trying and I still just suck at vma. Even with hardened ward and 20k health (20k wards too), I"m getting flattened and finding that I'm spending 90% of my time just trying to recast ward, which means i have low damage output.

Right now i'm stuck on seht's arena, with all the damn spinning blades and the three centurions at the end you have to fight all at once. Each of those blades that hits me drops my shield almost instantly, and if I get hit by another I'm pretty much dead.

The build I'm using:

5x Necropotence
    3x ancient grace (dont have willpower yet, it's pricey these days)
    2x maw of the infernal / ilambris (tried both, better results with maw, but still terrible, need to get infernal guardian still)

I have between 48-51k max magicka depending on whether i use maw or ilambris, ilambris gives better stats due to undaunted passives while my maw set is all light.

My skill bars:

front bar (lightning staff):
    daedric prey
    hardened ward
    volatile familiar
    bound aegis
    twilight matriarch
    greater storm atronach

back bar (lightning staff):
    liquid lightning
    elemental blockade
    volatile familiar
    bound aegis
    twilight matriarch
    Suppression field

I've tried using inner light in place of either the matriarch (bad idea, i lose my main heal then) or bound aegis, but neither seems to yield better results. I dont have inner light maxxed yet and my mage's guild rank is too low to make use of the passives, so I get more max magicka out of bound aegis right now, in addition to the spell power from sorc passives and extra resistance.

I hardly ever get to use my back bar because I'm always stuck on the front bar spamming the hell out of ward to stay alive.

For my first clear of arena 2 I pretty much just stayed on one bar, using ward, liquid lightning, wall of elements, and twilight matriarch and heavy attacks. I stayed to the outer edge of the the 2nd arena and kite the centurions.

Generally speaking, if you find yourself spamming ward, put all the skills you want to use a lot on the same bar.
  • beetleklee
    beetleklee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you're comfortable playing. Most will say PetSorc because it's forgiving but I had a way easier time with MagDK and StamDK, because I never touch my Sorc but play DK's all the time.

Wasn't just because the DK's were my 2nd and 3rd runs, it was a huge difference. Stages that took me days to beat suddenly only took 15 minutes. Stuff died quicker because I was more comfortable with the rotations and know the skills inside and out.

I beat vMA 5 times so far and 3 of them have been on StamDK and I will continue to use it. I die a lot less, I preemptively pop Vigor for the HoT and use Dragon Fire Scales on rounds with a lot of ranged adds (mostly Arena 5.) Corrosive Armor can be a lifesaver too.
    PC NA
    CP 690

EP Dunmer MagDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer MagSorc Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Argonian DK Tank Level 50, Boethiah's Scythe
    EP Breton Templar Healer Level 50
    EP Khajiit StamDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer Magblade Level 50, Assistant Alienist
    EP Argonian Stamden Level 50, Lady of Misrule (pvp)
    EP Dunmer Stamblade Level 50
    DC Redguard Stamplar
    AD Altmer Magwarden Healer

vMA, vDSA, vSO HM, vHRC HM, vAA, vAS+1, vMoL
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam sorc ez mode
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screw this place, I give up. Ive tried every build I can think of for Magsorc and nothing works, even with 50k magicka my hardened ward gets taken down almost instantly, I never even have time to heavy attack to regain magicka, I'm frustrated out of my mind with this *** arena.
    PS4 / NA
  • ShadowProc
    ShadowProc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screw this place, I give up. Ive tried every build I can think of for Magsorc and nothing works, even with 50k magicka my hardened ward gets taken down almost instantly, I never even have time to heavy attack to regain magicka, I'm frustrated out of my mind with this *** arena.

Don't give up. Stick to the pet sorc build for your first clears. It is the most forgiving. Keep crit surge up with Twilight for oh crap heal. You cannot forget to refresh your shield. You will be one shot. The heavy attack build is the easiest there is.

Farm Moon dancer jewelry and body pieces on Normal.

Necropotence and Illambris and you will melt everything.

Watch videos of each round before you do it to learn the mechanics. You will get there! I am a pvper and I must say when I got my first clear after like 8 hours or something stupid I was amped! Before I got all my weapons I was down to about an hour. :)
  • Gargis
    Gargis
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Mistress has a vid build on pet sorc that is running Necro and Plague Dr.

Essentialy 49K magica and 30K health.

Its what I'm running right now and it got me through. High health, big pet heals and a ward. Very forgiving build to help learn the mecnahics.

Check out; Mistress of Apocrypha ESO. Vid shows the build and a clear and he is very good at explaining all the mechanics. I still reference it now and then. He makes it look easy with a heavy attack build. I'm not nearly as good, but it got me though 20x.

Got a no death run on my 5th try. Now I'm back to sucking and die on poison.
  • SvariBK
    SvariBK
    ✭✭
    Mag night blade with swallow soul as spammable. I did it with Julianos spinners and skoria, you could do it with mothers sorrow and bsw anything like that. Good sustain and healing but also enough dps if played well
    BK-22 PC EU Player
    Tank & DD
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What round you stuck on?

Want a simple suggestion? Stop relying on your shield. Try to avoid more damage instead of hoping your shield will save you. It's there to help take pressure off, not for you to stand there and god more through.

What build you using?
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd