Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

40k on a test dummy?

• jakeedmundson
    jakeedmundson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Izaki wrote: »
    Ugh why is everyone talking about 3mil dummies? Burst fight where you don't need to even care about your resources and the whole parse depends on the crit chance luck. 6mil dummies are the real thing.

a majority of the content in this game does not require each dps to do 6 million + damage
    Think of every single vet dungeon (even hard modes) - each dps does approx. half damage to a boss with 4 to 7 million health
    If you're preparing your build for trials (which the OP doesn't sound like he/she is) then sure, practice on the 6 mil dummy.

Edited by jakeedmundson on February 16, 2018 1:15PM
    CP690
    Lv 50 Dunmer DragonKnight Tank/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Sorcerer Dps
    Lv 50 Breton Templar Healer/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Nightblade Dps
    Lv 50 Redguard Sorcerer Dps
    PS4 - DC
    vSOHM - vAAHM - vHRC - vMA Flawless

My version of a Heavy Attack Sorc build
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/294724/magicka-sorc-heavy-attack-build-homestead-ready/p1?new=1
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »
    Can you guys please, please stop showing this guy 3 million dummy burst parses? This is really annoying me, you can't tell someone who is has yet to get into rotations and endgame dps burst parses that completely drain their magicka within 80 seconds.

What he needs is longer videos with sustainable rotations that you can actually fully sustain.

For newer players in trials the magicka drain is usually a lot higher than for experienced players on magicka builds because they tend to shield themselves a lot more. So what they need is a decent buildt that makes it easy to adapt to mechanics, basically an endgame starter build. pet sorcs qualify for that the best because they have a lot of passive damage and can simply heavy attack as a spammable skill..

The rotation that @Liquidpony showed above is probably the best advice in here.

Here's what I do when I want to get a toon trial ready:

1. Conceptualise a build. Look at the duration of damage over time effects, ground aoes and think of the best way to align them.
    2. Fill the gaps with either a spammable skill or heavy attacks.
    3. Stand in front of a centurion dummy and kill it. Only way to see whether what you do is sustainable within a trial and 20 minutes of the same rotation will nail it into your head...

Right, the beautiful thing about that magsorc build is that resources are basically infinite, even without Ele Drain or Worm.

However, I would say that anything beyond the 6mil skeleton solo is a bit ridiculous ... not like you're asked to fight for 5 minutes straight in real game scenarios without shards or orbs or other synergies or support buffs.

Plus, for someone just starting to try to get their DPS up, the 3mil dummy is in fact a good way to practice and a good way to see results quickly. And this guy isn't trying to get a character "Trial ready" anyway; he's talking about getting his DPS up to a spot to do vet dungeons, so I think 3mil parses are totally appropriate here frankly.
    Edited by LiquidPony on February 16, 2018 3:00PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One mistake I see a lot of people do is not use weapon power pots or spell power pots.
    Unless of course you already have 100% uptime on those buffs in which case weapon/spell power pots are completely and utterly useless ...
    shades.gif
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just bcz some skills deal big damage on the tooltip, doesnt mean they work to raise your dps.

A skill that hits for 25k but takes 5 seconds to land is only 5k dps and is hard to use in a rotation.

Yet skills that hit for 4k and do 11k damage over 5 seconds, yet are instant cast times can be used in combination with other skills to do around 15k-20k dps. Ultimates can get it around 25k.

Then get really good with animation cancellation and your over 30k dps
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna see someone without any trial gear or support using only trash pots get 30k dps.

And then I'd be happy to see it (say a sorc) with only 1 toggle
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh why is everyone talking about 3mil dummies? Burst fight where you don't need to even care about your resources and the whole parse depends on the crit chance luck. 6mil dummies are the real thing.

Pretty much everyone uses heavy attacks in their rotation, so sustain is not much of an issue. So 3 mil dummies are fine for numbers. 6 mil is better, but 3 mil is still acceptable. In the days of no heavy attacks, you would be correct. Most rotations on a 3 mil dummy would end with 0 magicka/stamina right at the end. Try to do this on a 6 mil dummy and the DPS would drop significantly.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wanna see someone without any trial gear or support using only trash pots get 30k dps.

And then I'd be happy to see it (say a sorc) with only 1 toggle

@Waffennacht the sorc build I posted in this thread uses no Trials gear. Mechanical Acuity is craftable and Necropotence is overland. 40k on a completely solo parse with all Purple gear (not all in ideal traits either, believe I had to use an Infused shoulder to make it work on live) except the staves.

Not sure why the trash pot requirement, but just swap out the Twilight for Power Surge on the back bar and Inner Light on the front bar, I would guess 35k+ no problems with trash pots.

There are zero toggles on the build as well.

Similar DPS can be achieved with some combination of those sets above along with Netch's Touch or Julianos.
    Edited by LiquidPony on February 16, 2018 8:16PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LiquidPony I see two pets I see spell power pots.

Edit: pets are toggles imo, anything that requires double slots is a toggle

And vMA staff is a trial gear item. vMA is a solo trial

I also assume all gear is purp or blue except main weapon

Edit: also no solo build runs without shields or power surge

With my truly solo build, I pull in above 25k dps
    Edited by Waffennacht on February 16, 2018 8:49PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    One mistake I see a lot of people do is not use weapon power pots or spell power pots.
    Unless of course you already have 100% uptime on those buffs in which case weapon/spell power pots are completely and utterly useless ...
    shades.gif

Which you won't.
    DKs can give you Sorcery, and solo Surge is there. But Entropy is a big loss, as is Surge with a competent healer around. The same is true for Momentum.
    And Prophecy/Savagery do not come easily at all times. While I can maybe see a magsorc double bar Inner Light, there's is no chance in hell stam toons would slot Expert Hunter. And of course, dedicating a five piece to it is probably worse than not taking the crit bonus at all.
    No way around pots. Go collecting reagents!
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    shades.gif

Which you won't.
    DKs can give you Sorcery, and solo Surge is there. But Entropy is a big loss, as is Surge with a competent healer around. The same is true for Momentum.
    And Prophecy/Savagery do not come easily at all times. While I can maybe see a magsorc double bar Inner Light, there's is no chance in hell stam toons would slot Expert Hunter. And of course, dedicating a five piece to it is probably worse than not taking the crit bonus at all.

No
    Edit: I most certainly will not! I'll attain the required dps without a substantial loss to my inventory thank you!
    Edited by Waffennacht on February 16, 2018 8:57PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    shades.gif

Which you won't.

No
    Edit: I most certainly will not! I'll attain the required dps without a substantial loss to my inventory thank you!

Look at it from the bright side:
    You get some fresh air while gathering, and you can bundle the flowers you don't use to present to your favorite High Elven girl!
    ;3
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @LiquidPony I see two pets I see spell power pots and I'm curious as to how you get minor slayer?

@Waffennacht

I don't have Minor Slayer in that build. I'm using 5 x Necropotence (all purple), 5 x Mechanical Acuity (all purple), 1 x Molag Kena (purple), and vMA staff. No Minor Slayer there.

But anyway ...

https://i.imgur.com/xi0GhTd.jpg

That's with trash pots, no vMA staff (dead gold staff backbar), and just one "toggle" (Volatile Familiar). I believe all of these silly requirements have been met. ;-P

Gear: 5 x Necropotence, 5 x Mechanical Acuity, 1 x Kena, 1 x Netch's Touch backbar (the only dead staff I had on hand)

Front bar: Daedric Prey, Shock Clench, Volatile Familiar, Inner Light, Mage's Wrath. Greater Storm Atro.
    Back bar: Liquid Lightning, Blockade of Storms, Power Surge, Volatile Familiar, Elemental Susceptibility. Destro Ulti.

Same rotation as before:

LA Liquid Lightning, LA Blockade, swap
    LA Curse, HA Clench, HA Pet Pulse, swap
    repeat

I hit 30k on my first attempt. All parses were between 30.5k and 32k.

I then swapped out Necropotence for Netch's Touch, the pet for Bound Aegis, and Daedric Prey for Force Pulse, and hit 30k+ on several attempts with a slightly modified rotation:

LA Force Pulse, LA Force Pulse, LA Force Pulse, HA Clench, swap
    LA Force Pulse, HA Clench, HA Force Pulse, swap
    repeat

CP probably could use optimization as this was all optimized pre-Dragon Bones. Rotations and gear may not be ideal either. Still, 30k no problem with trash pots and no Trials gear and some super-simple rotations that I just made up.
    Edited by LiquidPony on February 16, 2018 9:45PM
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »
    Vahrokh wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes too high.
    In this game, regardless of gear and CP, you get:

- sub 20k DPS people
    - sub 30k DPS people
    - 40k and above people.

Going from one step to the next is simple to some - even with bad gear - and impossible to the most. Gear, weaving etc. help, but that accounts for 3-4k, not 10-15k.

It's totally possible and witnessed to see people with identical build and gear (and high CPs), using the same rotation and still some stay below 20k DPS even with trial gear and vMA staff.
    Most hang at about 25-27k. and NEVER go above that (solo parse).
    Then there's a sort of "magic hole" and the next you meet, are the 37k-42k people. Even if they spend a month explaining how they do that, you won't be able to replicate their performance and that's it.

Oy.

OP, do not listen to this fatalist nonsense.

Those categories are better stated as:

- people who don't practice at all
    - people who practice a little bit
    - people who practice a lot

And the right gear (and glyphs and potions and poisons and CP) along with weaving will easily make a 5-10k difference for some people.

10 cheese parsing youtubers don't represent anyone.

Overall players performance is represented by a gaussian curve of the whole playerbase, whose sigma and bell top points match what I say much more than what you believe.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LiquidPony I see two pets I see spell power pots and I'm curious as to how you get minor slayer?

@Waffennacht

I don't have Minor Slayer in that build. I'm using 5 x Necropotence (all purple), 5 x Mechanical Acuity (all purple), 1 x Molag Kena (purple), and vMA staff. No Minor Slayer there.

But anyway ...

That's with trash pots, no vMA staff (dead gold staff backbar), and just one "toggle" (Volatile Familiar). I believe all of these silly requirements have been met. ;-P

Gear: 5 x Necropotence, 5 x Mechanical Acuity, 1 x Kena, 1 x Netch's Touch backbar (the only dead staff I had on hand)

Front bar: Daedric Curse, Shock Clench, Volatile Familiar, Inner Light, Mage's Wrath. Greater Storm Atro.
    Back bar: Liquid Lightning, Blockade of Storms, Power Surge, Volatile Familiar, Elemental Susceptibility. Destro Ulti.

Same rotation as before:

repeat

I then swapped out Necropotence for Netch's Touch, the pet for Bound Aegis, and Daedric Prey for Force Pulse, and hit 30k+ on several attempts with a slightly modified rotation:

repeat

CP probably could use optimization as this was all optimized pre-Dragon Bones. Rotations and gear may not be ideal either. Still, 30k no problem with trash pots and no Trials gear and some super-simple rotations that I just made up.

I read the post below yours accidentally and that's where I saw slayer, I was REALLY hoping you wouldn't catch that before I edited my post! Lmfao.

Anyway! Innerlight!!!!!! Jk (kinda) this is what I'm looking for, ty. (It wasn't a challenge, it was an actual request lmfao)

Force Pulse and clench? I haven't tried both together before...

Do you have room for shields on your bar? I would run wrath but I don't have room

Edit: I read it again, no shields. You don't PuG a lot do you? Lol

Edit again: I swear to God I'm gonna do something about auto correct...
    Edited by Waffennacht on February 16, 2018 9:50PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@Waffennacht

But anyway ...

Front bar: Daedric Curse, Shock Clench, Volatile Familiar, Inner Light, Mage's Wrath. Greater Storm Atro.

Same rotation as before:

repeat

repeat

I read the post below yours accidentally and that's where I saw slayer, I was REALLY hoping you wouldn't catch that before I edited my post! Lmfao.

Anyway! Innerlight!!!!!! Jk (kinda) this is what I'm looking for, ty. (It wasn't a challenge, it was an actual request lmfao)

Do you have room for shields on your bar? I would run wrath but I don't have room

Sure, Elemental Susceptibility would be the flex spot where I'd put a shield, shouldn't need it in dungeons or anything anyway.

And regarding Force Pulse and Clench, I just threw something in there since Daedric Prey was useless without the pet and ran with it. Certainly not optimal or well thought-out. Might be better off using Haunting Curse instead but I don't have that morph.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Waffennacht

But anyway ...

Same rotation as before:

repeat

repeat

Sure, Elemental Susceptibility would be the flex spot where I'd put a shield, shouldn't need it in dungeons or anything anyway.

And regarding Force Pulse and Clench, I just threw something in there since Daedric Prey was useless without the pet and ran with it. Certainly not optimal or well thought-out. Might be better off using Haunting Curse instead but I don't have that morph.

Does Prey lose dps when not running more than 1 pet? That's actually something I didn't even consider
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@Waffennacht

But anyway ...

Same rotation as before:

repeat

repeat

You can do more or less 26-27k with trash pots, no vMA staff and a real, non cheese build that includes Surge and Hardened ward.
    Edited by Vahrokh on February 16, 2018 9:57PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Waffennacht

But anyway ...

Same rotation as before:

repeat

repeat

You can do more or less 26-27k with trash pots, no vMA staff and a real, non cheese build that includes Surge and Hardened ward.

That's exactly what I pull. Which is kinda the point. Your average PvE player, should only be expected to pull in these numbers and not the 30-40k
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get your hopes too high.
    In this game, regardless of gear and CP, you get:

- sub 20k DPS people
    - sub 30k DPS people
    - 40k and above people.

Going from one step to the next is simple to some - even with bad gear - and impossible to the most. Gear, weaving etc. help, but that accounts for 3-4k, not 10-15k.

It's totally possible and witnessed to see people with identical build and gear (and high CPs), using the same rotation and still some stay below 20k DPS even with trial gear and vMA staff.
    Most hang at about 25-27k. and NEVER go above that (solo parse).
    Then there's a sort of "magic hole" and the next you meet, are the 37k-42k people. Even if they spend a month explaining how they do that, you won't be able to replicate their performance and that's it.

Oy.

OP, do not listen to this fatalist nonsense.

Those categories are better stated as:

- people who don't practice at all
    - people who practice a little bit
    - people who practice a lot

And the right gear (and glyphs and potions and poisons and CP) along with weaving will easily make a 5-10k difference for some people.

10 cheese parsing youtubers don't represent anyone.

Overall players performance is represented by a gaussian curve of the whole playerbase, whose sigma and bell top points match what I say much more than what you believe.

@Vahrokh

My comment has nothing to do with the distribution of DPS in the player population, but rather, the reason why some people have low DPS and other people have high DPS.

It's practice. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Unless you have some sort of physical or mental disability that literally prevents you from pressing LMB and one button every second, there's no excuse to have low DPS. You can literally just copy a build from Alcast or a hundred other sources on YouTube or here or Reddit or Tamriel Foundry and hit high numbers with enough practice. There's no "can't." You either just don't care or you don't want to put in the effort. Which is fine. Everyone plays the game for a different reason and I'm quite certain a huge chunk of the playerbase has no interest in achieving really high DPS because they simply don't need or want to do so.

And if you think the population of people who can hit 40k (or whatever the high-end numbers are for a given build ... say 45k on a stamblade, 35k on a stamsorc, 40k on a magsorc, 40k on a stamDK, etc.) are limited to "10 cheese parsing youtubers," then I've got a bridge to sell you. I've got nearly 100 people in my guild alone on XB1 that can hit those numbers, and most of them can do it on multiple builds at any given time.

Those people are also all parked in front of a target skeleton half the time they're online. And before target skeletons were a thing, they were parked behind Bloodspawn doing the same thing with a stopwatch.

This game is not hard to play. We have a GCD. This isn't Starcraft or some other game where elite players are executing 500 APM.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@Waffennacht

But anyway ...

Same rotation as before:

repeat

repeat

Does Prey lose dps when not running more than 1 pet? That's actually something I didn't even consider

I'm saying that in the Force Pulse rotation, which has no pet (Familiar was replaced with Bound Aegis, Twilight with Power Surge on the backbar and Inner Light on the front bar), Daedric Prey wouldn't do much good. Although, since I am using Greater Storm Atro there, it would buff the ulti. I suspect Haunting Curse would be better but I really have no idea.

I was using Daedric Prey in the version with Volatile Familiar.

And as I said previously, I'm using Elemental Susceptibility in the parse but that's where the shield goes. Even PUG groups should be able to keep Major Breach on bosses.

I PUG plenty. I use the double pet build in PUG groups and use the Twilight Matriarch for heals rather than Power Surge, though, since it's a huge burst heal that's good for the group. I also prefer Empowered Ward to Hardened Ward because Minor Intellect is a nice group buff that isn't readily available to most builds, and in most cases Hardened Ward is overkill.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    And if you think the population of people who can hit 40k (or whatever the high-end numbers are for a given build ... say 45k on a stamblade, 35k on a stamsorc, 40k on a magsorc, 40k on a stamDK, etc.) are limited to "10 cheese parsing youtubers," then I've got a bridge to sell you. I've got nearly 100 people in my guild alone on XB1 that can hit those numbers, and most of them can do it on multiple builds at any given time.

Those people are also all parked in front of a target skeleton half the time they're online. And before target skeletons were a thing, they were parked behind Bloodspawn doing the same thing with a stopwatch.

This game is not hard to play. We have a GCD. This isn't Starcraft or some other game where elite players are executing 500 APM.

Bolded the portion where you lost 99% of the players.

Normal people don't have hours a day to sit reharsing the same 10 buttons sequence like a top hard core guild of WoW times.

I did the same in 2007 when I was in a competitive top 100 WoW guild and played up to 14h a day, reharsing. I could not fail, I was the 2nd main tank and all would die if I failed.

Got really burned and since then I play non crucial roles (i.e. DPS) and truly don't care any more.

Going out of personal motivations, I've also noticed how to get to 35k I need to put my graphics resolution to 1980 Mario Bros mode (despite having 24GB RAM and nVidia 1060) and PRAY HARD to get < 200ms latency. Otherwise, good luck getting the various DoTs to match end to end. A game where you need some very high end rig and latency is (ofc) beyond your control is not a game where I (and many) am going to care.
    Edited by Vahrokh on February 16, 2018 10:32PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Waffennacht

But anyway ...

Same rotation as before:

repeat

repeat

I'm saying that in the Force Pulse rotation, which has no pet (Familiar was replaced with Bound Aegis, Twilight with Power Surge on the backbar and Inner Light on the front bar), Daedric Prey wouldn't do much good. Although, since I am using Greater Storm Atro there, it would buff the ulti. I suspect Haunting Curse would be better but I really have no idea.

I was using Daedric Prey in the version with Volatile Familiar.

And as I said previously, I'm using Elemental Susceptibility in the parse but that's where the shield goes. Even PUG groups should be able to keep Major Breach on bosses.

I PUG plenty. I use the double pet build in PUG groups and use the Twilight Matriarch for heals rather than Power Surge, though, since it's a huge burst heal that's good for the group. I also prefer Empowered Ward to Hardened Ward because Minor Intellect is a nice group buff that isn't readily available to most builds, and in most cases Hardened Ward is overkill.

I was joking about the PuGs lol, and I find people whom have a PvE guild that does trials to be admired (well that's how I feel)

I've being doing PvP for years so I get people's confusion with dps numbers. Recently I started to try and find out what those goals are and you read answers ranging from 20k-40k. Then very little information about where and why those numbers exist.

Like as a new player, you get the impression that you should be able to slot necro, acuity, familiar and hit 40k. So the new player figures when he hits 15k that he blows harder than anyone ever and gets depressed.

The fact is, that player's 15k isn't really bad at all, which some practice and tweaks he'll be where he's expected to be under his circumstances he will not be joining a group that has worm, or Akatosh, or war horn, he will have a group consisting of snipe spammers, "selfish" tanks, 50% will be good, and "healers"

And I'm personally trying to find the top end of the builds this kind of player has access to. Mainly because anyone pulling in 30k doesn't need any help
    Edited by Waffennacht on February 16, 2018 10:42PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Bolded the portion where you lost 99% of the players.

Normal people don't have hours a day to sit reharsing the same 10 buttons sequence like a top hard core guild of WoW times.

I did the same in 2007 when I was in a competitive top 100 WoW guild and played up to 14h a day, reharsing. I could not fail, I was the 2nd main tank and all would die if I failed.

Got really burned and since then I play non crucial roles (i.e. DPS) and truly don't care any more.

Going out of personal motivations, I've also noticed how to get to 35k I need to put my graphics resolution to 1980 Mario Bros mode (despite having 24GB RAM and nVidia 1060) and PRAY HARD to get < 200ms latency. Otherwise, good luck getting the various DoTs to match end to end. A game where you need some very high end rig and latency is (ofc) beyond your control is not a game where I am going to care.

I'm old (relatively). I have a serious career, a family, a mortgage, a life. I raid 3 nights a week for about 2-2.5 hours per night. Most of the people I raid with have jobs and families and lives. We're not one of the no-lifer groups who raid until 5 AM every day of the week. Monday through Wednesday, 9PM - 11:30PM and we call it quits because most of us have to get up and go to work in the morning, or get the kids on the bus to go to school, or whatever. But when I do get on outside of raid times (which is usually just a few hours every week), I'm hitting the target skeleton, keeping my rotation fresh, experimenting with different gear or glyphs or whatever.

And PC performance is a poor excuse. People hit these numbers on the glorified potato that is the original XB1 using a vastly inferior input device.

You say you don't care anymore. That's fine. I don't expect most people to really care about their DPS. But that's exactly my point. The reason that people can't hit 40k or whatever is because of exactly that. There's no special skill involved in doing so. There's no magic to it. It is purely down to whether you care enough to get there or not. You don't. No big deal.

A few hours of practice for a few weeks will get most people up into fairly high DPS numbers as long as they've got a solid build and gear and a good-enough CP setup. I've helped dozens of people get there. But I mean real practice, not just smacking the skeleton aimlessly. Record the parses. Watch them in slow motion. Are the light attack weaves actually firing? Is there DoT downtime? Buff downtime? Get someone to stand there with you and watch it closely, they'll have feedback, and take it seriously without taking it personally (a lot of people don't like to be told that their weave sucks, or that their swap cancels are late, or that they keep forgetting to cast [insert skill here] at the right time, or that they started execute too early or too late, etc).
    Edited by LiquidPony on February 16, 2018 11:05PM
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭

because if you can't get over 25k on a 3 million dummy whats the point of trying on a 6 million. dah
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Waffennacht

But anyway ...

Front bar: Daedric Prey, Shock Clench, Volatile Familiar, Inner Light, Mage's Wrath. Greater Storm Atro.

Same rotation as before:

repeat

repeat

This is pretty much my setup except fire staff front bar and i can only hit 22k. I'm thinking that there must be some CP setup that I'm not maximizing. I do use haunting curse which could explain a bit of the DPS lose on my pet build but I don't wanna respect every day as I'm more of a PVPer.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    And PC performance is a poor excuse. People hit these numbers on the glorified potato that is the original XB1 using a vastly inferior input device.

I get this behavior: if I play solo / vs training dummy, I get maxed (vsync) 60 FPS and... gameplay is terrible. I press abilities and they don't "feel right", it's like there's a layer of gum between the key and the actual skill going off. Sometimes an ability won't fire and I have to press it again. Of course the whole rotation breaks. Ping is at 70 (symmetric, optic fiber connection).

Then other days, same ping. I might even have less than 60 FPS (best results achieved at... 18 FPS!) due to other people's effects or whatever... and abilities are smooth like silk and I get 5k DPS more (but never above 35k anyway). Same ping, 6GB (or more) nVidia 1060 that can run every other game at max settings.

Maybe XB1 is a potato, but it lets you play every day in the same way. I have to change the time I press abilities at every login.

Edited by Vahrokh on February 16, 2018 11:59PM
  • fossildawg
    fossildawg
    ✭✭
    bardx86 wrote: »
    Shantu wrote: »
    God I'm sick of hearing game demi-gods claiming this is easy. I can trash mobs at 40-60k, kick dolmens and public dungeons solo, do some Craglorn group content solo (yeah, yeah, I know some of you can do this blindfolded), so I've got a few skills, but put be in front of a 3 ml test dummy and I can stand there buffing, de-buffing, laying down DoT's, and blasting with everything I've got while maintaining my resources and can still only manage about 10-12k at most. After 1700+ hours and a couple of DPS toons at 700+ CP, gold gear and staff, decent rotation skills, animation canceling (though I'm not really great at it) and I still comparably suck. Put me a vet dungeon where I'm running around trying to stay alive and my suckage meter goes up even further. As a result, I don't even try vet and any HM content as I'm tired of guys getting pissed and kicking me. Honestly, I'm doing the very best I can, but apparently there's something I'm missing? I have no clue how anyone can get even 20k out of a test dummy let alone maintain that level in a dungeon and/or trial. Am I forever doomed to an ESO life of suckage? :(

Ya im not sure how these guys claim 40k dps solo on a dummy. Someone show me a video of that. I feel like a have a decent handle on this game, meta gear, read just about the entire web on how to DPS on that stupid dummy. I can't get over 22k and I'm AC and weaving on my sorc. I could maybe squeak out another 2-3k dps if I was perfect in my rotation but getting over 30k doesn't seem possible. I was in the 10-12 range a few weeks ago, only ever PVP'ed in this game, but changing my skills to damage over time skills on top of direct damage made the difference to get to 20k.The trick is to have 2-3 damage over time skills always on the dummy then direct damage. Also make sure you have around 50% crit. Alcast site is a good starting point for PVE builds, at least it was for me.

I just tested my own DPS and got 37k. I don't consider this super impressive because it's essentially burst damage, but nonetheless, some people may have crazy burst but low DPS maintenance (like me : ' ( ......) and will brag about that, but in a vet dungeon figure things out the hard way.

My best advice is to follow a particular (and up to date!!) build. I used to be awful at the game until I discovered the awesome world of builds. Learning a build also helped me learn a lot about the game (trading, dungeons, mechanics, crafting, etc).
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is the best DPS thread in quite some time. Definitely worth saving.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok, 2 DPS toons. 1 a Breton Templar mag, the other a High Elf sorc.

Gear on the Templar is 5 Gold Juliano, 2 purple War Maidens, all 7 are Divines, jewelry is purple War Maiden (gold magicka recovery on each as I have issues with sustain), Staffs are both gold Julianos lighting (one Sharpened, one Nirhoned). Mundus stone Mage. Rotation is Elemental Drain, Purifying Light, swap, Structured Entropy, Unstable Wall of Storms, Blazing Spear, then spamming Puncturing Sweep, weaving in light attacks and heavy when resources dips. Rinse repeat.

Juliano.png
    War_Maiden.png
    Templar_stats.png

Gear on Sorc is 5 Gold Twice Born Star, 2 purple Spinners, all Divines, jewelry is purple Spinners (gold magicka recovery on each). Staffs are both gold Julianos lighting (one Sharpened, one Nirhoned). Mundus are Lover and Thief. Rotation is Bound Aegis(always on), Power Surge, Elemental Drain, Structured Entropy, swap, Unstable Wall of Storms, Liquid lighting, spam Force Pulse, weaving in light attacks and heavy when resources dips.

TBS.png
    Spinners.png
    Sorc_Stats.png

CP is now 707. My Sorc sucks. I can barely reach 9k on a 3 ml. Templar does better, hits about 11-12k. I'll be honest, I'm not good yet on a tight rotation but I do work it in, certainly more than the numbers would indicate.

I know you guys are saying practice, practice, practice. I do. But even in short bursts on a single rotation throwing everything I've got I can only hit about 17k with the Templar and 12k on the Sorc. What that the heck am I missing?
  • Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    id be willing to give you some tips in game :) Its not gear shantu its abilities and timing.