Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stam Sorc Build for Battlegrounds - Unfathomably Tanky

Sixty5
Sixty5
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Greetings, I've been playing around with this build for a little while in anticipation of the cancer known as champion points being once more striken from out beloved battlegrounds.

Since the changes to disallow the use of Shuffle with heavy armour, I've been playing around with the idea of running a set like Armour Master or Fortified Brass in order to maintain durability, while still having access to snare removal and Rally. The end result being a build that feels pretty well balanced in terms of durability, mobility and damage output.

As far as stats go, fully buffed you are looking at:
unknown.png
Buffs used
Hurricane, Rally, Weapon Enchant, BloodSpawn and potion proc.

Unbuffed stats are as follows
unknown.png

So first of all the gear, 5 Fortified Brass, 2 Blood Spawn, 5 Unfathomable Darkness and an Asylum Battleaxe.

Fortified Brass
We run 5 pieces of Fortified Brass in the main body slots. Optimally you will want to run a heavy chest and legs to maximise your defenses, but really it doesn't matter too much as we will already be overcapping resists with our other gear.
As far as other options go, you can run Armour Master, but I'm not a massive fan of it, given that it forces you to recast Shuffle every 10 seconds to retain the resists, which hurts your overall durability and sustain.

Unfathomable Darkness:
We run 3 pieces of Unfathomable Darkness Jewellery and a Sword and Shield on our front bar. This is where we are getting a lot of our damage from. Crit, Penetration and Weapon damage is about the best possible 4 piece you could ever ask for in terms of raw offensive stats, and the proc from the set is going to give us a nice chunk of extra damage that does not require resources. The proc also sticks around if you bar swap, meaning that when you switch over to your back bar to finish someone off, your birds are going to stick around. Additionally physical damage from the birds works well with our passives.
As far as other options go, pretty much any medium 5 piece proc set can work, but honestly I'd say Unfathomable is probably your best bet.

Blood Spawn
I run Blood Spawn here for a number of reasons. Firstly, unique one hand an shields are pretty mediocre, so a monster set is going to be better. Secondly this set offers you so much here. The one piece stamina recovery helps to fill out our build sustainwise, and the proc on the two piece is going to boost us up to the resistance cap, and will help to generate a bunch of ultimate. Honestly, you can run pretty much whatever monster set you like here, but I feel like Blood Spawn is the best all round option for this build.
Asylum Battleaxe
This is our back bar weapon, and what we use to kill people. I like the Asylum weapon for the extra ultimate generation, letting me get my ults up faster, which is especially useful, given that we are pretty reliant on them to pick up kills, given that we are not a super high damage build. Again, in all honesty, any one piece two hander works here, just use whichever you feel most comfortable with. Sword, Axe or Mace is also personal preference, I just like having access to a bleed to help proc Implosion a bit more frequently.

Abilities

Front Bar:

Heroic Slash
Reverb Bash
Shuffle
Hurricane
Dark Deal
Absorbsion Field
Heroic Slash is pretty much our spammable in this build. It hits pretty hard, has a fairly low cost, reduces enemy damage by 15% from minor maim, snares, and gives us more ultimate. This ability is disgustingly overloaded, and even weaves pretty well with heavy attacks
Reverb Bash is our on demand stun for the build. It also exists to backhand scumbag healers and infect them with major defile to help cut down their healing and make them less obnoxious. Use it whenever someone needs to be put in their place.

Shuffle is one of the cornerstones of the build. 15% to dodge incomming hits is fantastic in of itself, especially given our base durability, along with Minor Maim from Heroic Slash. However, the real reason we take this skill is for the snare removal and immunity. Snares are disgusting, and playing without a way to mitigate them is an exercise in frustration.

Hurricane is one of the reasons that you play a Stam Sorc. AOE damage, resists and move speed, all rolled into a single ability is frankly amazing. This will also proc implosion and pull Nightblades out of stealth. If you don't run this on a Stam Sorc there is something wrong with you.

Dark Deal rounds out our front bar, as a tool to help us sustain. This skill gives us 4k health and 5k stamina per cast, for the low cost of a bit of magicka. It is the reason we can get away with running lower levels of recovery on this build than other non-cp builds. However, this skill can be interrupted, leading to you being stunned and put off-balance, so careful use is needed. Popping a couple of Dark Deals between fights tends to be more than enough to keep you topped up, and stunning someone with Reverb will also give you a second or two to Dark Deal up.

Absorbsion Field is our front bar ultimate, and acts as our defensive ultimate, and a way to disrupt the enemy. The healing offered by this ability is actually pretty underated, given that it will apply to every ally in the bubble, and ticks every half second. Aditionally using this ability will remove all ground effects, so it's a nice way to get rid of things like Corrupting Pollen or Caltrops that can make fighting on an area annoying. Finally the silence this ability applies turns pretty much all magicka builds into useless sacks of health, so dropping it when you have a Mag DK spamming Talons onto you, or over a couple of Templars spamming breath can turn a fight around. People also don't like fighting in your bubble, so it can serve as a way to get people off of you to allow for recovery. You can run Shield Wall or Overload here instead, but honestly, I feel like Absorbsion Field offers more.

Back Bar:

Crit Charge
Reverse Slice
Streak
Resolving Vigor
Rally
Dawnbreaker of Smiting
Crit Charge is our gap closer. I haven't listed a morph here, because honestly it is up to you to choose which you prefer. Stampede is probably the better morph at this point, but I have always valued the extra damage from Crit Rush, given how you can use it in combination with a heavy attack as a psuedo spammable burst combo. Either way, this ability is here to let us dive into the thick of things, and to run down fleeing foes.

Reverse Slice kills people. Do I need to say more?
In all seriousness, this ability gives us ultimate for executing people with our Asylum two handed, and the splash damage in melees can net you some neat kills, especially in conjunction with Implosion. The extra damage from Executioner is not really worth it.

Streak is the other reason to play a Stam Sorc. It gives us unparalleled mobility when paired with dodge-rolls as well as major and minor expedition. Our Magicka pool lets us cast two consecutive streaks, but after that we are pretty much running OOM, so careful use is important. Streak over Ball Lightning since projectiles tend not to be too much of an issue, and the stun can make slipping out of a bad fight that much easier.

Resolving Vigor is a nice big meaty stamina heal. It is also a useful tool for helping allies. Crit rushing an enemy and then popping a Vigor or two is a really nice way to ruin a 1v1 for the guy who isn't on your team.

Rally gives us Major Brutality, buffing up our weapon damage. It also gives a small heal over time, along with an on-demand burst heal. The entire point of this build was to be able to run Shuffle and Rally together without losing durability, so it would be silly not to run it.

Dawnbreaker of Smiting smites people. It's a hard hitting, undodgeable AOE stun. This is what we use to drop people along with Reverse Slice. At a cost of 107 ultimate, we tend to have this available to us most the time due to all the ultimate generation we have. The damage over time portion of this ability is also fantastic for us as it too will proc our implosion passive. Oh an the ability gives you more weapon damage just for slotting.

Traits and Enchants:

Personally, I run Infused on my body and legs with Prismatic glyphs, with Impen on the remaining pieces with Stamina glyphs, though dropping the Infused pieces for more Impen, or a well-fitted piece is up to you. Prismatic Glyphs on the armour are rather nice, given that 2 Infused Prismatic glyphs are equal to a regular health, stamina and magicka glyph, though based on how much you are willing to spend, again it is up to you.

On my jewelry I run two Weapon Damage Glyphs and a Stamina recovery Glyph, though depending on how good you are at weaving heavy attacks and managing Dark Deal, I'd say you could get away with an extra Weapon Damage Glyph.

For weapons, I run an Infused Sword and a Sturdy Shield. A weapon damage enchant is probably the optimal choice for the sword, but ultimately that is up to you. As for the back bar, I run Precise for a bit more reliability in crits with Reverse Slice, Dawnbreaker and Rally, though Nirnhoned is probably the more optimal choice. An Oblivion damage enchant is nice to have here to help deal with Sorcs, though running poisons is more likely the optimal setup.

As for consumables, run Dubious for your food, and go with Immov/Speed/Stam pots, though having other potions available is nice
Mundus stone is Warrior for more damage.

Questions for dummies:
  • How u sustain??? 1570 Recovery along with Potions and Dark Deal has been more than enough. For everything else, weave heavy attacks.
  • Ur Damage looks bad! Yes, that is to be expected on a balanced build in non-CP. However, it seems to be enough.
  • Wat race?? Any stam based race works, I go Bosmer because I have butterlegs so the fall damage reduction is good.
  • How u kill ppl??? Rotate buffs, Heroic Slash plus Heavy weave to drain enemy resources, then reverb, Dawnbreaker, Reverse Slice.

And because people like that kind of thing, have a video of the build in action.
It isn't the cleanest gameplay, because I am rusty, and not that great of a player, but it shows off what you can do with the build pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx8h0-Ku9WM

If there are any question, feel free to ask below.
Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally like anything new and exciting, meaning I love what you've done here.

I've wanted to see a fathom build for a long time.

Is it me or is the bird animation really hard to see?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I personally like anything new and exciting, meaning I love what you've done here.

I've wanted to see a fathom build for a long time.

Is it me or is the bird animation really hard to see?

Thanks man. It might help to slow the vid down to 0.75 speed, since I sped up the footage to fit a bit better.

Unfathomable is actually kinda hard to notice, but it definitely is proccing pretty frequently. Plus because the effects are kinda hard to see it makes it easier to land the damage without people dodging or blocking them birdies.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice! Hoping to publish a couple of no-CP BG builds this week.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Thanks! It feels so good to be back in no-CP again, and actually being able to pressure resources, kill tanks and not have to deal with Defile cutting my healing in half.

• Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sixty5 wrote: »

Thanks! It feels so good to be back in no-CP again, and actually being able to pressure resources, kill tanks and not have to deal with Defile cutting my healing in half.

I’m stoked.

Kinda sad that damage procs are so essential and poisons are so strong, but I think it’s the better of the two choices.

I really like the distinction you make about low damage and it’s a common theme in effective no-CP builds imo, you only need 10-12k burst tbh as long as you’re hard to kill and sustain well. How are the interrupt changes effecting dark deal as a sustain tool? Getting a free shuffle cast and CC immunity plus multiple dark deals in a row just because I interrupt you seems wild...
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I’m stoked.

Kinda sad that damage procs are so essential and poisons are so strong, but I think it’s the better of the two choices.

I really like the distinction you make about low damage and it’s a common theme in effective no-CP builds imo, you only need 10-12k burst tbh as long as you’re hard to kill and sustain well. How are the interrupt changes effecting dark deal as a sustain tool? Getting a free shuffle cast and CC immunity plus multiple dark deals in a row just because I interrupt you seems wild...

The thing about no-cp is that Time to Kill is very much evened out. You can't do huge amounts of damage and you can't be stupidly tanky, so having consistent low damage with options to burst is enough to get by. I actually tried this build out in CP Battlegrounds before the patch, and it was just garbage. I didn't hit hard enough to pressure people, and with 23k HP, I still got instagibbed even with capped resistances.

I haven't actually been interrupted casting Dark Deal yet. Mostly because I don't tend to use it in combat because of how it opens me up. Especially after the patch, being set off balance is actually a huge debuff to you. Taking 70% bonus damage from a heavy attack, and giving your opponent a massive burst of resources isn't worth the free time to spam the ability. Especially since if I am in a position to need to use Dark Deal, I am already at a disadvantage.

• Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fun fact that I feel I should point out.

The proc from Unfathomable Darkness can crit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEIdrUgEqVs

• Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks pretty cool stuff for nocp, testing it and so far i like it

Any good advise for cp pvp ?
  • datgladiatah
    datgladiatah
    ✭✭✭
    Is that working as intended o_O i wish all procs could again
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »

In CP I'd run something different.
    You really just don't have enough amage to really threaten a good player, and you will need to heavily invest CP in Impen, so you aren't going to have the same level of durability as you have in no-cp.

Honestly, I'd drop a stam regen on a jewelry piece or drop Dubious for blue food, just because you'd need more damage.

In duels I just go for blue food, and it tends to work ok. High HP targets still give me trouble though, just because I don't have anything invested into healng reduction.

It's been critting since Clockwork City PTS. The theory we came up with to explain it is that the proc is providing a buff which deals damage, rather than acting as a damage proc in the normal sense.

• Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You really just don't have enough amage to really threaten a good player, and you will need to heavily invest CP in Impen, so you aren't going to have the same level of durability as you have in no-cp.

Honestly, I'd drop a stam regen on a jewelry piece or drop Dubious for blue food, just because you'd need more damage.

In duels I just go for blue food, and it tends to work ok. High HP targets still give me trouble though, just because I don't have anything invested into healng reduction.

It's been critting since Clockwork City PTS. The theory we came up with to explain it is that the proc is providing a buff which deals damage, rather than acting as a damage proc in the normal sense.

Its gotta be a bug. Unfathomable is basically just the Stam equivalent of Overwhelming Surge and Surge can’t crit
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Its gotta be a bug. Unfathomable is basically just the Stam equivalent of Overwhelming Surge and Surge can’t crit

I'd assume so too, but the set has been critting since the Clockwork City PTS, and I am assuming that other people have reported this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUifTdRBAd4

Either way, It isn't nearly as bad as Selenes and such critting, given the lower damage and slower projectile.

• Dyride
    Dyride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice build.

Personally, I like have Vigor on my main damage bar for less bar swapping, so I would swap Dark Deal with Vigor.

This also puts Dark Deal on the same bar as Streak, and increases your 2H damage by having another sorc ability (is that why you have it on SnB?).

Regarding Crit Rush vs Stampede, I think you get it right. I pair Stampede with Ransack and Crit Rush with Heroic Slash. That way you can have a reliable snare ability.
    V Є H Є M Є И C Є
      Ḍ̼̭͔yride

Revenge of the Bear

ØMNI
      Solongandthanksforallthef
      Revenge of the Hist
      Revenge of the Deer

Remember the Great Burn of of the Blackwater War!

#FreeArgonia
    1. Sixty5
      Sixty5
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Dyride wrote: »
      Nice build.

Personally, I like have Vigor on my main damage bar for less bar swapping, so I would swap Dark Deal with Vigor.

This also puts Dark Deal on the same bar as Streak, and increases your 2H damage by having another sorc ability (is that why you have it on SnB?).

Regarding Crit Rush vs Stampede, I think you get it right. I pair Stampede with Ransack and Crit Rush with Heroic Slash. That way you can have a reliable snare ability.

Dark Deal heal doesn't scale, so I'd rather have it on the bar with less weapon damage, and then Vigor on the bar with higher weapon damage.
      Plus I like having Dark Deal on my brawly/run around bar, for easier access, and Crit Rush into Vigor is a good way to save a termmate.

2. Dyride
      Dyride
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Nice build.

Dark Deal heal doesn't scale, so I'd rather have it on the bar with less weapon damage, and then Vigor on the bar with higher weapon damage.
      Plus I like having Dark Deal on my brawly/run around bar, for easier access, and Crit Rush into Vigor is a good way to save a termmate.

Fair enough.

I know Dark Deal doesn't scale, I was referring to the Expert Mage passive giving more weapon damage to make your Crit Rush/DBOS/Executioner hit harder if Dark Deal was there.

Having the Vigor tick harder also works, plus helping out teammates as you said.
      V Є H Є M Є И C Є
        Ḍ̼̭͔yride

Revenge of the Bear

ØMNI
        Solongandthanksforallthef
        Revenge of the Hist
        Revenge of the Deer

Remember the Great Burn of of the Blackwater War!

#FreeArgonia
      1. Sixty5
        Sixty5
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        Nice build.

Fair enough.

I know Dark Deal doesn't scale, I was referring to the Expert Mage passive giving more weapon damage to make your Crit Rush/DBOS/Executioner hit harder if Dark Deal was there.

Having the Vigor tick harder also works, plus helping out teammates as you said.

I tested it out, and the difference when fully buffed is a whopping ~50 weapon damage, so I really don't think it is worth it.

2. Aznox
        Aznox
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        How can you even slot Rally instead of Critical Surge that has twice the healing potential ? o.O'
        Aznox
        PC EU
        Khajiit Orc Bosmer Stamina Sorcerer and Werewolf Stage 3 Vampire
        I live in Battlegrounds
        Theorycrafting enthusiast
        Official Cheese Lord
        CP1500+ club
      3. Sixty5
        Sixty5
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        Aznox wrote: »
        How can you even slot Rally instead of Critical Surge that has twice the healing potential ? o.O'

Because I am sitting at like 26% Crit, and I am not running a bunch of dots like on a bleed build, so I can't rely on it ticking.

Rally also has the nice big pop at the end or on reactivaton, so overall the skill is going to give me more of the heals I actually need.