Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MAGBLADE pvp theorycrafting

• Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adenoma wrote: »
    @Subversus , what's your feeling on light vs. heavy armor in no-CP? I'm weighing the merits of 5L or 5H when running 5x overwhelming, 5x durok's. I feel like I'm starting to err on the side of running 5x heavy - with siphoning attacks and elemental drain you can get by with the lower regens. You miss the penetration and spell crit of light armor though.

Edited to add that I'm a vampire and I'm using skoria over TK.

I don't have as much experience with no CP, but we can take this the logical way. Heavy magblade is played by using hots and tankyness to your advantage, whereas light is used as a kite playstyle where you stack shields and rely on your shade/cloak to get you out of trouble.

I was playing heavy juli/riposte back when BGs were no CP and it was great, but I really feel like light might be the go to without CP. Light pushes out more damage than heavy, that's for sure, but at the cost of being squishy. This squishyness is diminished in no CP, however, since everyone does less damage and is less tanky overall.

The sustain on heavy shouldn't be affected by cp, since we don't have cost reduction anymore, but heavy might also get squishier and deal less damage/heal less due to lack of cp. Meanwhile light can bypass all that due to shields being still relatively strong, and the kite ability being unchanged.

I'll probably run with my shackle/riposte/vMA resto/domi setup in no CP BGs, since I have enormous sustain on that and it seems like that's the most important thing in no CP.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    @Subversus so I got bored with my normal shackle/necro/skoria light armor setup and I had a heavy Julianos set hanging out in my bank. Decided to give your setup a run and I gotta say I really like it.

I was a little off at the start, it was hard to look at my max mag being alot lower than my other setup, plus I couldn't run spell mundus so I went atro to get to 1700 regen. So 1700 regen then ele drain and siphon I'm sitting pretty on sustain. Plus I'm still at 2.2k spell damage unbuffed with gold spell enchants and nirn staff, so damage isn't lacking.

I was pretty suprised with how well that build works openworld. It was a very nice change of pace. Getting hit by shalks and dawnbreaker with no shield up and not melting was a welcomed change.

But now I'm all conflicted, as if I wasn't conflicted before. I love my light armor setup, won some great duels in that gear. But giving your setup a run the last couple days I'm rethinking my opinion on heavy armor.

Yeah it's a great setup. I also swap between regen mundus or no depending how how it feels like that day, if I feel like I'll be in long drawn out fights or I can end them fast thanks to damage. I more often than not find myself using the regen though since everyone is playing the 2 tank damage sets build nowadays....
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Subversus I assume you are running your shadow when you where necro. What other skills do you run - just curious.

I have to say I only recently started running my mag NB in cyro and I really think she is one of my faves now.
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VirtualElizabeth on my necro/shackle setup? Was running the basics hahaha:

1st bar:
    Drain, strife (morph is preference), Cloak (double take for duels, again it's preference), merciless, fear/reach (depending on if I run domihaus or 1 master destro/1 vMA resto), incap or soul tether

2nd bar:
    Syphoning attacks, crippling grasp, ward, harness, shade, resto ult.

You can run finisher instead of drain, but I feel like the sustain drain gives is enormous, and if you meet a tankier opponent the finisher will do you almost no good compared to drain. You can also put mark there if you want, it's not really my thing though as I just cloak away if some stamblade decides to do the stealth dance with me.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Subversus Thank you!!!

<3
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    Maulkin wrote: »
    Exodium wrote: »
    Trashs1 wrote: »
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    Since friday i run 5 light, 1 heavy (chest) and 1 medium pants. I was always 7 Light. But survivability went up.

Also i added extra health by wearing 1 piece of skoria and switched Julianos 5 piece with Krangnerac 5 pience. Kragnerac gives +health, + magicka, mag regeneration and extra damage (and faster rezzing). My other set it still warmaiden.

I now have 25k healh.

Yesterday some stamblade using shieldbreaker sniped me, but didn't kill me instant. So i popped a ward and heard that annoying sound of shieldbreaker. I was so happy i had a bit more health then before and swallow soul saved my ass. Healing me and killing the stamblade.

Although maybe not the best sets, i do really love Kragnerac because it's also craftable. I do wish i had my lich set complete so i could put that on my backbar and a damage set on my front bar so i could wear a full monsterset.

i needed 78 runs of coh1 for my lich restro...

If it's any consolation, I've been hunting the Rattlecage Inferno staff and I'm around 110 runs deep so far with no luck. I currently have:
    - 2 Restos
    - 2 Lightning staves
    - 1 Ice staff
    - 2 Greatswords
    - 3 swords
    - 2 Daggers
    ...and I've decon'ed quite a few shields and bows too. That's excluding all the oblivion and worm cult trash I've picked during those runs and all the jewellery.

In other words, you got off lightly.

I've got a rattlecage inferno that I always thought might be useful for something but never exactly realised what haha. How would you incorporate it in a build though? So many sources of major sorcerer

You have precisely 3 other possible sources of Major Sorcery: pots, entropy, sap essence.

Sap is out since I play pretty much only BGs and prefer to go for single target build. Pots are out cause I need tri-pots more often than not for either stamina, or for an emergency heal or both. That leaves entropy, that most people slot. Which I could slot too, but using Rattlecage means I can slot Magelight instead and thus get more magicka and more damage-heals through higher crit chance.

The build I have planned is Necro, Rattle, Domi, 6-1 light. And the 5% magicka from Magelight works really well for an Altmer MageBlade build with Necro. In fact you end up with more Max Mag, Spell Damage and Crit than a Shackle, Necro, Domi set up that uses Entropy. Although you do sacrifice something in Max Regen, that's I suppose is the trade off.

Though another possible build is Rattle & Lich on front/back staves (since all your damage is on the front bar) and then you can slot a 2p monster set like skoria which works pretty well if you use double dot poisons. You have lower magicka on that build but higher spell damage, because you can lean on Lich for sustain and put more dmg on the enchants.

Yeah you have the right mindset here, and should disregard most that try to tell you rattlecage is a terrible set, which is absolute nonsense.

Heavy armor Argonian Magblades that emphasize hot uptime and sustained ranged fights generally rock tri stat or immovable pots. Entropy is a great choice for sure, but rattlecage actually offers near the same spell damage as julianos and affords you a slot on your bar which is a godsend for magblades, be it mark, execute etc etc.

I can safely say that I've played a heavy magblade for a long time now, and I can't think of any situation where rattlecage would win over setups like julianos/riposte or alch/warmaiden. Rattlecage is an absolute waste of a set. There is NO situation where a bar slot is worth more than a 5p.

Also, you mentioned that heavy argonian magblades play with 3 stat pots?????? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, I've played with a high elf in heavy and 0 (absolutely 0) stam regen sources and I sustained my stam just fine, let alone in an argonian where every pot is a tri-stat?

@Maulkin The build you mentioned, necro/rattle/domi will get absolutely outclassed by necro/shackle/domi, especially if you play an argonian. No offense, it's just plain facts.

I dont know who you are but i assure you i know very well what im talking about. I would suggest doing a little more homework.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of you guys/girls just need to get on pc na so we can settle this "my build is best/your build is trash/I know better than you" in open world cyrodiil

If people really swap over/make toons ill help you grind, get gear & we'll all make a magblade contest out of this!
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since friday i run 5 light, 1 heavy (chest) and 1 medium pants. I was always 7 Light. But survivability went up.

Also i added extra health by wearing 1 piece of skoria and switched Julianos 5 piece with Krangnerac 5 pience. Kragnerac gives +health, + magicka, mag regeneration and extra damage (and faster rezzing). My other set it still warmaiden.

I now have 25k healh.

Yesterday some stamblade using shieldbreaker sniped me, but didn't kill me instant. So i popped a ward and heard that annoying sound of shieldbreaker. I was so happy i had a bit more health then before and swallow soul saved my ass. Healing me and killing the stamblade.

Although maybe not the best sets, i do really love Kragnerac because it's also craftable. I do wish i had my lich set complete so i could put that on my backbar and a damage set on my front bar so i could wear a full monsterset.

If it's any consolation, I've been hunting the Rattlecage Inferno staff and I'm around 110 runs deep so far with no luck. I currently have:
    - 2 Restos
    - 2 Lightning staves
    - 1 Ice staff
    - 2 Greatswords
    - 3 swords
    - 2 Daggers
    ...and I've decon'ed quite a few shields and bows too. That's excluding all the oblivion and worm cult trash I've picked during those runs and all the jewellery.

I've got a rattlecage inferno that I always thought might be useful for something but never exactly realised what haha. How would you incorporate it in a build though? So many sources of major sorcerer

You have precisely 3 other possible sources of Major Sorcery: pots, entropy, sap essence.

Sap is out since I play pretty much only BGs and prefer to go for single target build. Pots are out cause I need tri-pots more often than not for either stamina, or for an emergency heal or both. That leaves entropy, that most people slot. Which I could slot too, but using Rattlecage means I can slot Magelight instead and thus get more magicka and more damage-heals through higher crit chance.

The build I have planned is Necro, Rattle, Domi, 6-1 light. And the 5% magicka from Magelight works really well for an Altmer MageBlade build with Necro. In fact you end up with more Max Mag, Spell Damage and Crit than a Shackle, Necro, Domi set up that uses Entropy. Although you do sacrifice something in Max Regen, that's I suppose is the trade off.

Though another possible build is Rattle & Lich on front/back staves (since all your damage is on the front bar) and then you can slot a 2p monster set like skoria which works pretty well if you use double dot poisons. You have lower magicka on that build but higher spell damage, because you can lean on Lich for sustain and put more dmg on the enchants.

Yeah you have the right mindset here, and should disregard most that try to tell you rattlecage is a terrible set, which is absolute nonsense.

Heavy armor Argonian Magblades that emphasize hot uptime and sustained ranged fights generally rock tri stat or immovable pots. Entropy is a great choice for sure, but rattlecage actually offers near the same spell damage as julianos and affords you a slot on your bar which is a godsend for magblades, be it mark, execute etc etc.

I can safely say that I've played a heavy magblade for a long time now, and I can't think of any situation where rattlecage would win over setups like julianos/riposte or alch/warmaiden. Rattlecage is an absolute waste of a set. There is NO situation where a bar slot is worth more than a 5p.

Also, you mentioned that heavy argonian magblades play with 3 stat pots?????? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, I've played with a high elf in heavy and 0 (absolutely 0) stam regen sources and I sustained my stam just fine, let alone in an argonian where every pot is a tri-stat?

@Maulkin The build you mentioned, necro/rattle/domi will get absolutely outclassed by necro/shackle/domi, especially if you play an argonian. No offense, it's just plain facts.

I dont know who you are but i assure you i know very well what im talking about. I would suggest doing a little more homework.

Same goes for you lmao, I have no clue who tf you are but you obviously have no idea what you're saying. I stopped taking you seriously when you said that argonians need to chug tri pots :lol:

What platform you on? I'd gladly take you up on that homework offer.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I now have 25k healh.

- 2 Restos
    - 2 Lightning staves
    - 1 Ice staff
    - 2 Greatswords
    - 3 swords
    - 2 Daggers

Same goes for you lmao, I have no clue who tf you are but you obviously have no idea what you're saying. I stopped taking you seriously when you said that argonians need to chug tri pots :lol:

Flag pole, 3:30, front of the school. It's go time

Q ('.'Q)
    Edited by Datthaw on February 10, 2018 12:04PM
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I now have 25k healh.

- 2 Restos
    - 2 Lightning staves
    - 1 Ice staff
    - 2 Greatswords
    - 3 swords
    - 2 Daggers

You respond with a hyperbolic comment such as every pot for an argonian is a tri pot and attempt to belittle anyone that challenges your opinion, in this case regarding the potential use of a particular set. Obviously the only thing on the line here is your ego.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I now have 25k healh.

- 2 Restos
    - 2 Lightning staves
    - 1 Ice staff
    - 2 Greatswords
    - 3 swords
    - 2 Daggers

You respond with a hyperbolic comment such as every pot for an argonian is a tri pot and attempt to belittle anyone that challenges your opinion, in this case regarding the potential use of a particular set. Obviously the only thing on the line here is your ego.

You got me. I'll give you a respectful "insightful" as a token of peace so we can go back to theorycrafting!
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how you guys use shade? It doesn't work like 8 times out of 10 as it is now. I only use it to activate Necropotence, is there something I've missed here? Heard it's supposedly being fixed next update, but that remains to see. If it's a fix or a "fix".
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raudgrani wrote: »
    I don't know how you guys use shade? It doesn't work like 8 times out of 10 as it is now. I only use it to activate Necropotence, is there something I've missed here? Heard it's supposedly being fixed next update, but that remains to see. If it's a fix or a "fix".

I’ve had to change from using it as a kite tool and way to escape focus; to just a single target maim/not use it and run Wizards. Hoping it truly is fixed since even mostly going ranged; I prefer fear for cc and need it to get back to range.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To be fair, I still use it. I mean yeah it doesn't work in cyro and like 50% chance for it to work in duels, but I legit have no problems with it in battlegrounds. Heck even IC works just fine. I still use both shade and cloak on my shieldstack build, just can't get used to anything else tbf.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I use it for duels out of cyro. In cyro yeah it's broken as hell.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is broken about shade?
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wanna try shadowrend and the other morph of shade on a necropotence build to see if the pets can actually apply some pressure in a 1v1.

Btw the range on teleport has been finicky and sometimes when you set the shade you teleport to it immediately. But I haven't had problems with the teleport bugs too too much, as others have reported.

So now I am trying to come up with a build that is dw/destro or 2h, that involves use of swallow soul, some heavy armor, refreshing path, vigor, and the new skill that replaced agony (qq) instead of a resto staff. The other morph of tether is an amazing oh crap burst heal and is worth considering. Here's what I come up with so far .

Dunmer, Amber/shackle/ trifood, 10 points into stamina (get as close to 20k max Stam as possible without sacrificing too greatly the other stats). Mage mundus. Full impen.

Using harness over top the hots. Mass hysteria for maim. Mist or fm or purge to remove snares. This allows us to run both swallow soul and concealed weapon without any loss of damage . The higher stamina pool means excellent mobility.
    In bgs I was able to hit 750k damage and 200k+ healing. So while not the most impressive numbers pretty good for a start. I noticed that a 2h with shackle has a nice base weapon damage which means a higher vigor tick, which adds onto fm,path, strife hots.
    Edited by Metemsycosis on February 11, 2018 8:52PM
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Shade has had different bugs for a while now. Atm it's just completely broken in cyro. A majority of time you attempt to return to your image it doesn't cast. Your just standing there spamming return like a dingle berry casting nothing and get killed.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭

Shade has had different bugs for a while now. Atm it's just completely broken in cyro. A majority of time you attempt to return to your image it doesn't cast. Your just standing there spamming return like a dingle berry casting nothing and get killed.

I generally return to it when I don't want too LOL. So it casts but you cant tp back. Gotcha!
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Have this bug aswell recently and often. Feels like shade has a 50% chance on working or less around towers and LOS.

I press teleport, my hands does the animation but it "teleports" me to where I am already standing instead of to the shade. Hopefully fixed in this patch :disappointed:

On topic: 5 shackle, 4 necro, 2 skoria feels solid. Probably not BIS but still ^^
    Edited by Master_Kas on February 12, 2018 7:44PM
    EU | PC
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone use a lightning staff? Thought I'd try one for a longer stun than just a KB on reach when running ranged but the LA weave is atrocious. It was always bad with NB but on lightning, a hair to quick and you get no stack, a hair to long and my character actually gets stuck with a lightning heavy attack animation.
  • bubbygink
    bubbygink
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been running Skoria for a long, long time but wondering if Zaan may be more effective. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Anyone give this a go? Is it worth getting and using over the classic magblade bread-and-butter of Skoria?
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭
    bubbygink wrote: »
    Been running Skoria for a long, long time but wondering if Zaan may be more effective. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Anyone give this a go? Is it worth getting and using over the classic magblade bread-and-butter of Skoria?

The thing I've always liked about skoria is that it's telegraphed. On ps4 I can feel my controller vibrate when it's falling so what I do is time my incap with it for extra burst. Zaan will add more pressure for sure but I think burst potential is more valuable on a magnb.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m having a lot of success with 5 Spinners 5 Shackle 1 Domi 2h/resto.

Forward momentum is insane and once shadow image fixes go live on console it’s gonna be even stronger.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Forward momentum is insane and once shadow image fixes go live on console it’s gonna be even stronger.

Thats what I am running but heavy. I am assuming you're running light?
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the same build I'm running. Honestly you don't need shadow image with the build though. Lol that's almost a trolling amount of mobility
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

Yeah, light. 13k pen and stack heavy into elfborn. The playstyle is just kite and build merciless stacks then 1 bang someone with incap+will and go back to kiting

@thankyourat I can’t full commit to melee mageblade without shadow image, there’s times where you have to get instant LoS to survive in light and if you don’t have a resto up and image fails then it’s gg
    Edited by Lexxypwns on February 13, 2018 9:12PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, light. 13k pen and stack heavy into elfborn. The playstyle is just kite and build merciless stacks then 1 bang someone with incap+will and go back to kiting

Sounds like what I've been trying to do on my melee-ranged hybrid build. I was running all ranged but got tired of having to pretty much abandon fights on DKs and Wardens and not to mention having people block reach and meteor and not to mention destro resto and shadow image not working makes kiting not very effective. So I built to instead get the proc for will up, use lotus fan, fear, incap+will, shadow image out and forward momentum will help the kiting.

I need to practice at it more, particularly since shadow image hadn't been working for me but 1 in 10 times and I just stuck to my destro resto yesterday as I felt out the patch. Might try to pull it off tonight and may switch to light. Felt a lot lately that heavy survivability isnt as good as being the one who's putting out the pressure rather than trying to weather the pressure anyway.
    Edited by technohic on February 13, 2018 9:20PM
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like what I've been trying to do on my melee-ranged hybrid build. I was running all ranged but got tired of having to pretty much abandon fights on DKs and Wardens and not to mention having people block reach and meteor and not to mention destro resto and shadow image not working makes kiting not very effective. So I built to instead get the proc for will up, use lotus fan, fear, incap+will, shadow image out and forward momentum will help the kiting.

I need to practice at it more, particularly since shadow image hadn't been working for me but 1 in 10 times and I just stuck to my destro resto yesterday as I felt out the patch. Might try to pull it off tonight and may switch to light. Felt a lot lately that heavy survivability isnt as good as being the one who's putting out the pressure rather than trying to weather the pressure anyway.

You don’t need lotus with Forward momentum. If you build it, they will come... especially once you start nuking their friends. Just use LoS+cripple+cloak/conceal speed and get the incap-will off that way. I hit a 19k crit yesterday with will
    Edited by Lexxypwns on February 13, 2018 9:25PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You don’t need lotus with Forward momentum. If you build it, they will come... especially once you start nuking their friends. Just use LoS+cripple+cloak/conceal speed and get the incap-will off that way. I hit a 19k crit yesterday with will

Thanks for the tip. Started thinking about it and I really only had lotus on there for sorcs when they want to streak away. Theres really not a lot of them left out there though that will streak more than a couple times. Will give it a try.