The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Access to storage trunks and coffers in other people's houses?

cyberjanet
cyberjanet
✭✭✭✭✭
So, on the PTS I got all the storage trunks and coffers I could, and put them in my primary residence (which is also the guild hall).
My husband got them all too, and put them in his house.
When he goes into the guild house, he can see all the coffers and is given the option to use them.
Except when he tries, he gets a message "You are not allowed to open storage you don't own."

I believe that with the fence, you can use one in someone else's home if you already have a fence.

My question is, will storage in someone else's home be usable if you have a similar coffer, or not? It is shown as usable, but I'm not sure if the non-usability is a bug, or not yet implemented, or just put there to annoy.
Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are designed only to be accessible by the owner of the container and no one else.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »
    They are designed only to be accessible by the owner of the container and no one else.

Ok, so the option for someone else to use them is there only to annoy. Damn! I guess I'll have to hide them then.
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »

Ok, so the option for someone else to use them is there only to annoy. Damn! I guess I'll have to hide them then.
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just did a check. It seems it's easy enough to hide them. Just put them in any old house you have room in, and when you want to use one, just place it in the house you're in. It comes up fully-stocked. When finished, you can put it away again.
    Edited by cyberjanet on February 9, 2018 6:26PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    cyberjanet wrote: »
    Just did a check. It seems it's easy enough to hide them. Just put them in any old house you have room in, and when you want to use one, just place it in the house you're in. It comes up fully-stocked. When finished, you can put it away again.

Yep! It's great that they function this way so that you don't even have to own anything other than one of the free inn rooms. You can put out each storage container one at a time and fill them up then put them away. Since they're collectibles, they don't take up inventory space!

ETA: Though it is a bummer that you can't use these to share things with other players. I think guild halls especially would benefit from this, but I'd love to just be able to share things with my spouse without having to send an in-game mail or be online at the same time.

Maybe they'll add guild coffers/chests in the future, whereby you can set certain access permissions.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on February 9, 2018 6:58PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't say I'm surprised that ZOS didn't let us give permission to other people to use our storage. People complain enough about trusting people who clear out their guild banks.
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't say I'm surprised that ZOS didn't let us give permission to other people to use our storage. People complain enough about trusting people who clear out their guild banks.

The idea is not that they use our storage. The idea is that it's like the banker: when they access the banker in our house, they get the stuff they have stored in their bank. So if they own a sturdy oaken chest, and we own a sturdy oaken chest, they can access what they have in their own chest when they use the one in our house. Not ours.