Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magden Battlegrounds Burst Build and Game play video - CWC

• Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    After watching your video I think your setup choice is suboptimal: The only time you got focused you instantly died due to no defensive ultimate being slotted and undersustain.

Except storm is a defensive ultimate...

I got focused three distinct times in this match and died once. A defensive ultimate would have made the fight last longer, but I was so far out of position that I never had a chance to disengage regardless and a shieldstack obviously doesn’t hold up under heavy focus from multiple players for prolonged amounts of time. Otherwise you’re correct, the build isn’t for everyone and as I mentioned in the OP it requires great positioning because it’s a glass cannon build. Other magden setups are putting out marginally less damage for marginally more survivability OR are more kiting focused like the builds @Thogard mentions. Neither of those appeals to me, I’m trying to bring the hammer.
    Hutch679 wrote: »
    Why wont this work come march?

Dragon Bones changes BGs to no CP. so far I think I’m swapping a lot of things around. Dropping harness, dropping Necro and spinners and adding some other sets in. I hope to have a no-CP BGs build ready this weekend

I ran necro when it was no CP before, I'll continue to run it next patch. It's just so, so strong.

It’s more efficient to stack spell damage than max mag in no-CP imo. I haven’t fully tested the spec I want to run yet but I’m seeing promising results, with the math so far on a couple of setups.

I consider myself a very experienced magWarden and I'm not impressed at all after watching this vid, sorry. You got focused exactly one time by more than one player and you died instantly because of you being unable to sufficiently manage your ressources even before you got pressure. They just sneezed at you then and you blew up. Your "defensive" ultimate did exactly nothing to help you there.

The rest of the video was a bunch of subdecent melees brawling in the middle waiting to get nuked from range and not even reacting to it.

Edited by Mojomonkeyman on February 2, 2018 7:06PM
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    Nice video!

But how the hell do you console peeps AC with that controller setup?! Everytime I use my PS4 account I feel like I'm holding a rock.

Actually, you’ll see I use B and Y for my spammable and CC. Those are the easiest buttons for me to animation cancel with so I keepother skills on the harder to cancel
    Spots since to mitigate missed weaves.

Which template you console folks use for the button setup? Im trying to use the one that uses Triangle (PS4) when you hold it down to initiate bar swap.

I use the default, just jump to bar swap without losing momentum when it’s that critical
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After watching your video I think your setup choice is suboptimal: The only time you got focused you instantly died due to no defensive ultimate being slotted and undersustain.

I got focused three distinct times in this match and died once. A defensive ultimate would have made the fight last longer, but I was so far out of position that I never had a chance to disengage regardless and a shieldstack obviously doesn’t hold up under heavy focus from multiple players for prolonged amounts of time. Otherwise you’re correct, the build isn’t for everyone and as I mentioned in the OP it requires great positioning because it’s a glass cannon build. Other magden setups are putting out marginally less damage for marginally more survivability OR are more kiting focused like the builds @Thogard mentions. Neither of those appeals to me, I’m trying to bring the hammer.

Dragon Bones changes BGs to no CP. so far I think I’m swapping a lot of things around. Dropping harness, dropping Necro and spinners and adding some other sets in. I hope to have a no-CP BGs build ready this weekend

I ran necro when it was no CP before, I'll continue to run it next patch. It's just so, so strong.

It’s more efficient to stack spell damage than max mag in no-CP imo. I haven’t fully tested the spec I want to run yet but I’m seeing promising results, with the math so far on a couple of setups.

The rest of the video was a bunch of subdecent melees brawling in the middle waiting to get nuked from range and not even reacting to it.

You just described every console vid I’ve ever seen.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s more efficient to stack spell damage than max mag in no-CP imo. I haven’t fully tested the spec I want to run yet but I’m seeing promising results, with the math so far on a couple of setups. BSW for example is more burst than Necro in a CP environment but in non-CP you lose out on 20% max magika modifier from CP and the gap widens

Though your enemy has more of a chance to apply weakening enchants which counter your beserk enchants hard :(.

Additionally, ive yet to see mag builds use backbar Healing Mage against a stam meta (that might be the set to run in nCP BGs next patch for magplar/magwarden/magblade group support). 450 WD + weakening enchants is around 850 WD reduced (21.25% reduction roughly for one target).
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep up the good work Lexxy
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice video!

But how the hell do you console peeps AC with that controller setup?! Everytime I use my PS4 account I feel like I'm holding a rock.

Actually, you’ll see I use B and Y for my spammable and CC. Those are the easiest buttons for me to animation cancel with so I keepother skills on the harder to cancel

Which template you console folks use for the button setup? Im trying to use the one that uses Triangle (PS4) when you hold it down to initiate bar swap.

I use the default, just jump to bar swap without losing momentum when it’s that critical

I see, so you hold on the bar swap till you need that bar?

I think most PC players don't realize how much more different console playstyle really is till they play it!
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I consider myself a very experienced magWarden and I'm not impressed at all after watching this vid, sorry. You got focused exactly one time by more than one player and you died instantly because of you being unable to sufficiently manage your ressources even before you got pressure. They just sneezed at you then and you blew up. Your "defensive" ultimate did exactly nothing to help you there.

Nobody asked you to be impressed sir. You’re entitled to your opinion, however I think the vast majority of BG players on Xbox NA will tell you the build is quite strong. You may be quite experienced, but I think you’re also not watching the same video as me if you only see me get focused once. I get focused very early in the match and escape, an enemy DK roots the ones focusing me, I reposition and get my burst off. I’m not interested in arguing with you, you’re free to go elsewhere :)
    Thogard wrote: »

I played some BGs against top tier PC players and they weren’t any tougher than guys like @Killset @DirtyWizard @Hutch679 etc. I could counter by saying all the BG videos I see on PC are kite til ulti is up, gap close pugs, ulti, kite again
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice video!

I use an elite controller so I bar swap using a paddle.
    Edited by Hutch679 on February 2, 2018 8:21PM
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody asked you to be impressed sir. You’re entitled to your opinion, however I think the vast majority of BG players on Xbox NA will tell you the build is quite strong. You may be quite experienced, but I think you’re also not watching the same video as me if you only see me get focused once. I get focused very early in the match and escape, an enemy DK roots the ones focusing me, I reposition and get my burst off. I’m not interested in arguing with you, you’re free to go elsewhere :)

I played some BGs against top tier PC players and they weren’t any tougher than guys like @Killset @DirtyWizard @Hutch679 etc. I could counter by saying all the BG videos I see on PC are kite til ulti is up, gap close pugs, ulti, kite again

The PC players are a joke LOL. Everything I've heard about them from top tier console players is that PC is RIDICULOUSLY easy to succeed and that's why a lot are swapping to consoles due to lack of competition.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You misunderstood me. I wasn’t trying to say that one was better than the other. Just that it’s a different play style, and that his criticisms were from the POV of a platform with easy camera rotation.

Console tends to play zone because they can’t keep visibility and awareness due to joystick limitations.

PC tends to play man to man, so visibility and awareness of what’s happening behind you is far more important
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been up against this build, a few times I had to immediately reposition myself because I was getting hit so hard from range.

I’ve played with and against him in bgs; never was under the impression that he thought he was the best although he’s a good player and more knowledgeable than a lot of people.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been up against this build, a few times I had to immediately reposition myself because I was getting hit so hard from range.

I’ve played with and against him in bgs; never was under the impression that he thought he was the best although he’s a good player and more knowledgeable than a lot of people.

Thanks a lot man!

I’m definitely not of the impression that I’m a top tier player, I just try to work with my team, make calls, and make smart play. I get asked numerous times a day for my build so I decided to post it since so many people like it.

I don’t think these guys are wrong about the playstyle/meta differences on platforms effecting build performance, but then if you try to bring a medium armor stam warden on Xbox NA you get melted whereas it’s something @Thogard has tons of success with on PC.

Edit: I am however quite proud I was able to carry a match like that while only 6 pieces of armor, I don’t really care what anyone says, people aren’t dropping those numbers routinely on Xbox NA and that’s why the build is popular. I’m sitting third on the DM leaderboards at ~45k and I’ve only had 8 all week and lack a natural execute
    Edited by Lexxypwns on February 2, 2018 11:12PM
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it be safe to say that this is build is focused on strong solo queueing fights against other solo queues but is vulnerable against coordinated, mobile 4 man groups? For my groups, a magden in light armor is always the priority target because of how much they can just wreck *** when left unpressured.

My favorite thing about this build is the dmg numbers, if you’re left alone you will just destroy things.

My least favorite thing is that two nightblades that queue as a duo would just destroy you with a synchronized incaps.

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The PC players are a joke LOL. Everything I've heard about them from top tier console players is that PC is RIDICULOUSLY easy to succeed and that's why a lot are swapping to consoles due to lack of competition.

It's not that we are a joke, its that there is a reason consoles can't cross-platform with PC for a reason (mouse+keyboard is really superior due to it's easier 360 degree rotation via the mouse and custom button mapping on the keyboard.)

I really wish games let you control whats on your controller more (and graphics settings).
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not that we are a joke, its that there is a reason consoles can't cross-platform with PC for a reason (mouse+keyboard is really superior due to it's easier 360 degree rotation via the mouse and custom button mapping on the keyboard.)

I really wish games let you control whats on your controller more (and graphics settings).

I agree with this. Did you know there is an adapter to allow you to use a keyboard and mouse on an Xbox One x? ;)
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it be safe to say that this is build is focused on strong solo queueing fights against other solo queues but is vulnerable against coordinated, mobile 4 man groups? For my groups, a magden in light armor is always the priority target because of how much they can just wreck *** when left unpressured.

My favorite thing about this build is the dmg numbers, if you’re left alone you will just destroy things.

My least favorite thing is that two nightblades that queue as a duo would just destroy you with a synchronized incaps.

Light armor wardens can still be a pain to kill even when you Xv1 them.

First off ice fortress is awesome, living trellis is super strong, nature's embrace ticking is rather strong, then add in harness magicka, blue betty, and shimmering shield and they have amazing sustain. Argonian to boot and its just ridiculous sustain...
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, it’s pure glass. No question about it. But two top tier players focusing anyone has the same effect imo. It removes you from the fight by either forcing you to kite, turtle, or die. It’s very rare when I have 5+ deaths in a BG unless I’m drinking. @Killset alone can force me off my position and immediately grab all my attention and set me defensive, but at the same time, my biggest threats are also currently hard countered by the biggest on demand offensive burst around

However, 4 man vs 4 man I think there’s no way to apply enough pressure to me with 3 competent team members present and my own burst that you won’t come out on the bottom end of the fight, unless you’re significantly more skilled as a team. Sure you can sell out your 4 stack to secure a kill on me, but you can’t focus that hard unless I’m out of position(I’ve repeatedly stated the importance of position in this guide) OR you open yourself up to burst. This means you first have to bait enough ultis that you can’t be burst and get the kill before there’s a defensive ult available. Imo, there are very few more impactful setups that this in a 4man pre-made because you can overcome all the shortcomings of the build with coordination.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on February 2, 2018 11:28PM
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If any of you guys ever want a BG partner, I'm usually on in the evenings. I'm usually solo or duo with Berserk Botz in open world. BGs would be a welcome change of pace.

GT: Ron Burgundy 79
    Edited by Ron_Burgundy_79 on February 2, 2018 11:56PM
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If any of you guys ever want a BG partner, I'm usually on in the evenings. I'm usually solo or duo with Berserk Botz in open world. BGs would be a welcome change of pace.

I think I've played with Bezerk Botz. Stam sorc right?
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I've played with Bezerk Botz. Stam sorc right?

That's him.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with this. Did you know there is an adapter to allow you to use a keyboard and mouse on an Xbox One x? ;)

that's what i get for buying a PS4! ugggggggg.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ne1 that does better than me on my team is good.

Lexxy is good.

Just as good as any emperor, or #1 BG, or Dueler out there.

The ONLY reason player like him or parallax or Gessner etc do better or worse is the difference in builds they have decided to go with.

They are all top tier players even though most of them never get along.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely build, looks really stronk according to the video :)

Couple of questions though. Do you have every armor piece enchanted with Tri-Stat glyphs? And wouldn't it be better to run different ultimates instead of Northern Storm twice?
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ne1 that does better than me on my team is good.

Lexxy is good.

Just as good as any emperor, or #1 BG, or Dueler out there.

The ONLY reason player like him or parallax or Gessner etc do better or worse is the difference in builds they have decided to go with.

They are all top tier players even though most of them never get along.

Gessner is just a magplar that spams jabs and breath of life with other magplars that do the same. Dunno if he is really as good as people think. He just plays decent with his group. 1v1 idk if he is anything special tbh.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, it’s pure glass. No question about it. But two top tier players focusing anyone has the same effect imo. It removes you from the fight by either forcing you to kite, turtle, or die. It’s very rare when I have 5+ deaths in a BG unless I’m drinking. @Killset alone can force me off my position and immediately grab all my attention and set me defensive, but at the same time, my biggest threats are also currently hard countered by the biggest on demand offensive burst around

However, 4 man vs 4 man I think there’s no way to apply enough pressure to me with 3 competent team members present and my own burst that you won’t come out on the bottom end of the fight, unless you’re significantly more skilled as a team. Sure you can sell out your 4 stack to secure a kill on me, but you can’t focus that hard unless I’m out of position(I’ve repeatedly stated the importance of position in this guide) OR you open yourself up to burst. This means you first have to bait enough ultis that you can’t be burst and get the kill before there’s a defensive ult available. Imo, there are very few more impactful setups that this in a 4man pre-made because you can overcome all the shortcomings of the build with coordination.

No, against a top tier Stam 4 man you would be dead in 12 seconds and there would be nothing you could do about it with this build. You don’t have the Stam to break free x 3 and roll dodge. The Stam DPS’s immovs will last longer than your teammate’s resto, and they can kill you through your ice storm (which is what you’d pop when resto wears off). 3 Stam toons hitting you with beetles / potl / 3 dizzies / execute will be able to kill you in between your magplar’s spam heals. They would gap close you, get behind you, and you would not be able to apply pressure to their healer and to them at the same time.

In the 4v4 tournament even mag sorcs wearing wizard’s Riposte with a healer in trans were getting one rounded as soon as resto wore off and their healer got javelined by the Stam team’s healer.

At the high level groups are starting to run magdens in heavy and playing them like Templars, and using Spider-Man vines for mobility.

I don’t think that means anything is wrong with the build though. I think it’s a great build. I just wouldn’t want to fight a top 4 man running gap closers unless I was either in heavy or had a group with 3 restos for ~100% uptime during the opponebt’s Immov pot duration.

• Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

No, against a top tier Stam 4 man you would be dead in 12 seconds and there would be nothing you could do about it with this build. You don’t have the Stam to break free x 3 and roll dodge. The Stam DPS’s immovs will last longer than your teammate’s resto, and they can kill you through your ice storm (which is what you’d pop when resto wears off). 3 Stam toons hitting you with beetles / potl / 3 dizzies / execute will be able to kill you in between your magplar’s spam heals. They would gap close you, get behind you, and you would not be able to apply pressure to their healer and to them at the same time.

In the 4v4 tournament even mag sorcs wearing wizard’s Riposte with a healer in trans were getting one rounded as soon as resto wore off and their healer got javelined by the Stam team’s healer.

At the high level groups are starting to run magdens in heavy and playing them like Templars, and using Spider-Man vines for mobility.

I don’t think that means anything is wrong with the build though. I think it’s a great build. I just wouldn’t want to fight a top 4 man running gap closers unless I was either in heavy or had a group with 3 restos for ~100% uptime during the opponebt’s Immov pot duration.

We can play hypotheticals all day. I pop Storm when first pressured then dump 3 offensive ultis for a clean wipe because 4 medium stam with no healers can’t recover from warden burst.

It’s the same analogy as the playstyle differences. You bring 4 medium stam builds into BGs on Xbox NA and any of our regular 4 mans feast on it

Also, 2 restos counters the entirety of an immovable pot and then some.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on February 3, 2018 2:26AM
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We can play hypotheticals all day. I pop Storm when first pressured then dump 3 offensive ultis for a clean wipe because 4 medium stam with no healers can’t recover from warden burst.

It’s the same analogy as the playstyle differences. You bring 4 medium stam builds into BGs on Xbox NA and any of our regular 4 mans feast on it

Idk about that. My group went up against 4 stam builds one was a stam warden running invasion and I'm not kidding they were killing our group like it was nothing. I believe it was a stam warden, stam blade, stam dk, and stamplar. Was super cancer. They all just gap closed to the same target and waxed them. The invasion is what kept screwing us. As soon as they all gap closed and we got stunned, they just whomped us... seemed cheese though.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

no against a premade the stam toons would be in heavy. 3 stam DPS stacking vigors and a magplar or magden in heavy on heals

not talking hypothetical though, just saying what's actually happening on PC.

• Volckodav
    Volckodav
    ✭✭✭
    This build is interesting, even if max magika as you said is not the best for NO CP BG.
    Have you test and update this build on PTS for the upcoming DLC?
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volckodav wrote: »
    This build is interesting, even if max magika as you said is not the best for NO CP BG.
    Have you test and update this build on PTS for the upcoming DLC?

Run caluurions instead of spinners. Monster set could be bloodspawn, 1 domihaus 1 max magic, shadowrend 2 piece, earthgore 2 piece, troll king 2 piece w the clockwork citrus filet food, or 1 domihaus 1 max stamina for the bonus stam. All work decently. Still difficult to play because no stun (unless you run clench). I find it too expensive to run clench though. I just run soul assault. It rapes.