Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Gap closers worth it after patch?

Demra
Demra
✭✭✭
I'm curious about people's thoughts on the upcoming nerf to gap closers and specifically to 2h ones.

On my stam sorc i was constantly debating whether to waste a skill slot for a skill that is mostly used only once during the beggining of the battle and maybe if the openent is running away and i still have stamina left to chase him. Any other dot or dd skill seemed more effective. I would eventually slot it mostly because it looks cool and i would hate when somebody escaped me with 20% hp.

But with the upcoming nerf i just don't see myself using it over any other dot or buff skill. Even retreat manuevar sounds better.

What are your thoughts? Am i exagerating?

(I will fix spelling later when im at the comp)
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭
    Barely worth it before the nerf. After playing my magDK (RIP), I realized they just arent that important and dont provide as much utility as you think. I dropped them on just about all classes and havent missed them yet.

I wouldnt run retreating without some serious recovery. Its 8k stam.
    Edited by Dreth on January 31, 2018 3:30PM
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nerf is definitely needed. The gap-closer did too much damage as it is. In theory a gap-closer shouldn't be a DPS-skill, it should be a utility skill to get close to your target, imo. (No more spambush ;D)

I always find myself a bit "meh" when I don't have a gap-closer. That's probably 'cus I'm maining a templar and well, their spammable skill is jabs. Which is a melee skill. Whilst every other skill it has, is pretty much ranged.

But next patch I'll probably find another spammable skill for my templar and drop the gapcloser. Frees up a spot on my bar anyway.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Magicka Templar, I never did slot a Gap Closer for its damage...

I slot it because it's the only way I can catch those cowardly, running, Nightblades...

As a result, the nerf to Toppling Charges damage will have zero impact on my loadout and playstyle...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nerf is definitely needed. The gap-closer did too much damage as it is. In theory a gap-closer shouldn't be a DPS-skill, it should be a utility skill to get close to your target, imo. (No more spambush ;D)

I always find myself a bit "meh" when I don't have a gap-closer. That's probably 'cus I'm maining a templar and well, their spammable skill is jabs. Which is a melee skill. Whilst every other skill it has, is pretty much ranged.

But next patch I'll probably find another spammable skill for my templar and drop the gapcloser. Frees up a spot on my bar anyway.

It will lessen burst combos using the gap closer (dark flare focused charge, but I agree it is supposed to be a utility spell.

Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They'll be worth it for their main intended use, as a gap closer.
  • Demra
    Demra
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I guess it makes sense. Gap closers might not seem much when used by a single person but when a full group comes and each throws one - it is the quickest death.
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Demra wrote: »
    Yeah I guess it makes sense. Gap closers might not seem much when used by a single person but when a full group comes and each throws one - it is the quickest death.

Agree. That's why I think light attack might need a nerf. I had a group of 20+ all hit me with a LA and I died instantly.
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven’t ran a gap closer in like 2 yrs(aside from my melee magblade a year ago) it’s not that vital as people make it out to be. But has it’s usefulness.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to use them to close a gap, yes, they'll be worth it. Otherwise, there are probably more effective ways to get the effect you want.

For example, if I use a gap-closer to drop an ultimate into the middle of an enemy raid, the gap-closer did its intended function and any extra damage/effects from the gap-closer is the cherry on top of my destro ulti or permafrost sundae.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Magicka Templar, I never did slot a Gap Closer for its damage...

I slot it because it's the only way I can catch those cowardly, running, Nightblades...

As a result, the nerf to Toppling Charges damage will have zero impact on my loadout and playstyle...

Hey were I'm mot a cowardly running nb, I come back, I just run when you hit me. Like an abused dog.
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thedude33 wrote: »

Agree. That's why I think light attack might need a nerf. I had a group of 20+ all hit me with a LA and I died instantly.

Lol I see what you did there. :star:
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crit Rush is dead, it's purpose was damage, and that is pretty much gone.

Take Stampede 100% of the time now, and watch as people cry about the snare.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Kode
    Kode
    ✭✭✭
    Damage, gap close, and often CC is a bit much. I can see why the nerf.

Like others said, if you want to close the gap... use a gap closer.
    Kode Darkstar, Aldmeri Dominion
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    They'll be worth it for their main intended use, as a gap closer.

except they never connect properly on longer ranges, and used as a means to initiate fights when you're like 10 meters away from someone.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on February 1, 2018 12:43PM
  • lao
    lao
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious about people's thoughts on the upcoming nerf to gap closers and specifically to 2h ones.

On my stam sorc i was constantly debating whether to waste a skill slot for a skill that is mostly used only once during the beggining of the battle and maybe if the openent is running away and i still have stamina left to chase him. Any other dot or dd skill seemed more effective. I would eventually slot it mostly because it looks cool and i would hate when somebody escaped me with 20% hp.

But with the upcoming nerf i just don't see myself using it over any other dot or buff skill. Even retreat manuevar sounds better.

What are your thoughts? Am i exagerating?

(I will fix spelling later when im at the comp)

it is kinda a waste of a skill islot in the current patch already as expedition+immovable pots are the meta. if your gap closer doesnt apply valuable secondary effects that are part of your burst window (like ambush f.e.) theres literally no point to run one and even less so in next patch.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I might go for rapid manuever on my stamina builds. It costs nothing if you use it after breaking free from a CC.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

It will lessen burst combos using the gap closer (dark flare focused charge, but I agree it is supposed to be a utility spell.

Only gap-closer nerf that doesn´t make sense is pounce (werewolf skilline). Low damage, no extra snare, high cost (which makes it impossible to spam unless you like having low stamina pool) and medium range. The design of pounce is like a gap-closer should work. Hope ZOS revert the change for pounce specifically.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Qbiken or give pounce a useful secondary effect. Some minor buff for 4 seconds, for example.
  • Demra
    Demra
    ✭✭✭
    thedude33 wrote: »

Lol, thankfully you can outrun a LA.

I don't think i would mind slotting a gap closer only for the sake of gap closing if it didn't cost that much. Otherwise i'm kinda expecting an additional effect.
  • Demra
    Demra
    ✭✭✭
    I might go for rapid manuever on my stamina builds. It costs nothing if you use it after breaking free from a CC.

How long does the immunity lasts?
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck caching streaking sorcs and roll dodgers without a gap closer.
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you play melee-only gap closers are a necessary evil but hardly OP. What makes them unbalanced is the poorly designed snare effect. Ranged players really need to take note that a class requiring a closer can’t begin to damage you without one, and actually put themselves at risk to do so, while ur in the back firing mages wrath or spamming shields or whatever, FYI something to consider
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ Nightblades - Are you dropping Lotus Fan/Ambush after this change?
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam gap closers were the problem because they did 2 or 3 different things at once. Nerfing a next to useless skill like toppling charge is just a death sentence for the skill. Now it's going to see even less use.

They shouldn't go live with the nerf to magicka gap closers.
    Edited by Akinos on February 1, 2018 7:29PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • shinikaze
    shinikaze
    ✭✭✭

i became a nb because of gap closer + stealth. so... never!
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    shinikaze wrote: »

i became a nb because of gap closer + stealth. so... never!

I know, right? LOL
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • Demra
    Demra
    ✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »
    Stam gap closers were the problem because they did 2 or 3 different things at once. Nerfing a next to useless skill like toppling charge is just a death sentence for the skill. Now it's going to see even less use.

They shouldn't go live with the nerf to magicka gap closers.

There are more skills around that are doing a few affects at once. And gaps are not very spamable anyways.

If you use 2h sword for dmg it kinda sucks that you have only dizzying swing for dmg. Critical can't be spammed but at least it helps. Now there is only dizzying swing and good luck to me lending it.
  • AllPlayAndNoWork
    AllPlayAndNoWork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For closing gaps they are very good........
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never been in a fight on either end where the stam closers were a deciding factor. Getting zerged down is getting zerged down, peeps.
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I use ambush to gap close so...I’ll be keeping it. I’m purely melee with DW/2h so a gap closer still does what it’s intended to do for me to be in melee range. Plus ambush still has empower.
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!