The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

In light of the block nerf how will you adapt?

Knowledge
Knowledge
✭✭✭✭✭
Block Cost with 100 points in Shadow Ward + Full Sturdy + Shieldplay currently reduces block cost to 88. After the patch it will raise to 336. Will you be changing your gear to compensate for the change? A few good ideas have been to run Potion Speed glyphs on jewelry in lieu of shieldplay(if Argonian) and to able to counter the immense sustain issues with pots.
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My Magicka Characters only Block when an enemy is charging up one of the gold-shiny attacks in PvE.

If that cost becomes prohibitive to blocking only during those times, and/or I find that the cost is too high and even blocking that attack staggers my Magicka Characters; then I'll switch to using dodge roll, and work on my timing.

Then I'll use that in place of Blocking.

If this was a thread designed/focused towards PvP, then I have no comment.

I never PvP, so...

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

• Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does stamina regen if you're blocking with an ice staff? Maybe an ice staff back bar will help.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll adapt by increasing the potency and reducing the cooldown of my popcorn.

nW9piyS.jpg?1
    signing off
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My young tank will just wait and see how things go once the change goes live. If it is too hard, we'll abandon tanking. The role is already limiting enough if done properly and to make the basics of it too hard will certainly drive me away from it.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭
    Frost staff on back bar is really nice.
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well.. while being scared and checking ow much sturdy I wear... only 4 pieces.... tansmute everything to sturdy, enjoy live and do just fine in the next patch
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
  • BlanketFort
    BlanketFort
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did calculations to see how much my block will cost with next update, and simulated it on live. My current block cost is at 317, increasing to 454 next patch.

I gathered my friends, dragged them to HotR and Hist dungeons on HM and we smashed it out for testing. My initial reaction was anger, as I found that my stamina was draining way too fast. Turns out I made a mistake and was running with 788 block cost instead of the 454 I was aiming for, that brought in a lot of LOLs. Quickly re-adjusted and closest I could get to was just shy of 500, I ran with that again in DLC HM dungeons and vHRC and vAA.

My conclusion from my experience simulating the increase in block cost:
    It was fine, the stamina drain wasn’t that noticeable and I wasn’t hungry for shards (which is what I was afraid of). I continue to run with the same increased block cost now to get used to it until it hits live, and hitting up some random vets to see how it holds up with an unoptimized/less experienced group. So far, I haven’t felt the need to increase my stamina beyond what I currently have (18-19k).

This is with Torug’s + Ebon + 1pc Shadowrend and Chokethorn all through-out and making use of Equilibrium (without driving the healer insane, of course).

ATM, I’m just keeping an eye on block cost on PTS. If there are changes to the formula, I’ll just simulate on live and take the new block cost through another spin.

EDIT: typo
    Edited by BlanketFort on January 30, 2018 8:51PM
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the real change is not to nerf a build but rather to get people using frost staves and capping armor. That said ill likely only block when needed rather than all the time since in many cases the block cost will now be greater than the health cost.
    Edited by Rungar on January 30, 2018 8:55PM
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowledge wrote: »
    Block Cost with 100 points in Shadow Ward + Full Sturdy + Shieldplay currently reduces block cost to 88. After the patch it will raise to 336. Will you be changing your gear to compensate for the change? A few good ideas have been to run Potion Speed glyphs on jewelry in lieu of shieldplay(if Argonian) and to able to counter the immense sustain issues with pots.

Since I'm not a "perma-blocker" there's nothing for me to adapt to. On my tank, I'm debuffing the boss, interrupting cast abilities, and only block for the boss special.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :p I was a buff if you didn't use shield play glyphs.

My health tank is enjoying!

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/alanarres-invincible-dk-shieldtank/page/12/

• josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ::Shrug:: I don't perma-block anyway, this makes no difference to my style of tanking, since I only block the attacks I need to, my resistances and shields handle attacks not worth my attention. I am sure people will cry in PvP though.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll just be grumpier as I do my tanking job, which is saying something as I'm naturally grumpy and already enhanced by past tanking nerfs.

Though on certain hard mode vet fights, the change will mean I just can't do what I need to do in my role for no other reason than zos being too lazy to rework a few mechanics. Any player with a top team that burns though mechanics or that doesn't do newest hard mode vet stuff won't see those issues though.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Kode
    Kode
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it will be nice to see that permablocking is even more difficult to maintain.
    Kode Darkstar, Aldmeri Dominion
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will probably adapt by drinking my sorrows away for the loss of my 72 tempering alloy, 16 Rosin, 9 Haikajo, and 14 Kuta that I blew last month updating my tank build which will almost certainly need tweaking if not rebuilding as its all sturdy/blockcost.

Honestly, I think one of the biggest problems tanks face in this game is the cost it takes to gold out your gear, and this is coming from someone with stacks of temp alloy.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowledge wrote: »
    Will you be changing your gear to compensate for the change?
    No
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I already transmuted the small armor pieces I was using from divines to sturdy.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • pauli133
    pauli133
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Block Costs
    Decreased the base cost of Block to 1730 from 2160.
    Jewelry enchantments that reduce the cost of Block are now subtracted from this base cost first, then percentage reductions to the cost of Block are applied. This means stacking Jewelry enchantments and block cost reduction passives will now be less effective than before.
    So, those of us who weren't using block cost reduction from jewelry and were happy with block costs will be... even happier?
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blocking is for sissies.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably stay hybrid for a warden tank.

1h/shield front bar, frost staff back bar. Block with the shield until stamina gets low, then block with the staff using magicka while recovery and bull netch recharge your stamina pool, rinse and repeat. Same as before the nerf, just less effective.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • DKsUnite
    DKsUnite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Increase my stamina
    Vyr Cor | Magicka Dragonknight | DC
    Vir Cor | Stamina Dragonknight | DC

Latest Videos:
    Magicka Dragonknight: Vyr Cor | "A Dragon's Fury" | Magicka Dragonknight PvP
    Stamina Dragonknight: Vir Cor | "Heathen" | Stamina Dragonknight PvP

Youtube: CorGaming
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Blocking? You mean the thing that exists in order to animation cancel offensive abilities?
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    4 x stam burn = 4 x magicka burn
    Frost Staff won't help , tank will lose both resource quickly if u do it.

Maybe I have to ask shard or orb after patched :/
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccfeeling wrote: »

Dont think you took my meaning.

A hybrid tank using both shield and staff will be able to block with one resource while the other regenerates. On the shield bar you're using stamina to block incoming damage, on the staff bar you're using magicka to block damage. While using either or, the opposite resource will recover (and you'll have both recovery, abilities like the netch which restore resources, and things like constitution/black rose all working together to restore the resource pool you're not actively using).

PS4 / NA
  • Thealteregoroman
    Thealteregoroman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just started playing a stamina tank character and can someone put into plain English what this means after update and why some people will be grumpy?

Will this mean that tanking will be harder?

Also as a tank what is a good ratio for attribute points?
    ****Master Healer...****
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

A hybrid tank using both shield and staff will be able to block with one resource while the other regenerates. On the shield bar you're using stamina to block incoming damage, on the staff bar you're using magicka to block damage. While using either or, the opposite resource will recover (and you'll have both recovery, abilities like the netch which restore resources, and things like constitution/black rose all working together to restore the resource pool you're not actively using).

This is basically how I run my DK tank, S&B front, Frost staff back. Also lets me use stamina for movement for those fights where I have to dodgeroll/break-free a lot and magica for blocking.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Gotcha, but what i worry is about the recovey speed :D
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will probably adapt by drinking my sorrows away for the loss of my 72 tempering alloy, 16 Rosin, 9 Haikajo, and 14 Kuta that I blew last month updating my tank build which will almost certainly need tweaking if not rebuilding as its all sturdy/blockcost.

Honestly, I think one of the biggest problems tanks face in this game is the cost it takes to gold out your gear, and this is coming from someone with stacks of temp alloy.

But you can transmute already upgraded gear. I did just that last week, using the crystals gained as I was leveling AvA skills on Warden. 50 crystals are easy to get.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Magicka Characters only Block when an enemy is charging up one of the gold-shiny attacks in PvE.

If that cost becomes prohibitive to blocking only during those times, and/or I find that the cost is too high and even blocking that attack staggers my Magicka Characters; then I'll switch to using dodge roll, and work on my timing.

Then I'll use that in place of Blocking.

If this was a thread designed/focused towards PvP, then I have no comment.

I never PvP, so...

It is actually a buff for players that didn't fully spec into cost reduction since they reduced the base block cost by ~23%. For a magicka char that only has block reduction from CP in Shadow Ward, that will almost be fully felt.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotcha, but what i worry is about the recovey speed :D

Should be fine. For my warden, anyways, while on the frost staff bar my stamina will recharge from: Base recovery, constitution passive (boosted by black rose if wearing it), and bull netch. While on the shield bar, magicka recharges from constitution passive and recovery food/drink (usually run red frothgar).
    PS4 / NA