Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do slotted effects of weapon skills work with other weapons equipped?

Marginis
Marginis
✭✭✭✭✭
The question is in the title. Some active abilities have passive effects when they are slotted - for example a nightblade gets minor vitality for simply having Swallow Soul slotted, or one can gets additional max magicka when they have Inner Light slotted. The abilities I'm curious about however are weapon active abilities, like Absorb Magic under the one-handed and shield skills, when you have another weapon, like a frost staff, equipped. Absorb Magic gives you more damage blocked and reduced block cost while slotted. Now I know that you would not be able to activate the ability to absorb a projectile attack and heal from it, but would the passive slot effect still be there if I had a frost staff instead of a one-handed weapon and shield equipped? I don't think this will affect most builds, but I feel like this could be useful for some builds out there (specifically one I'm working on right now that's a little bit... unique). Does anyone have the answer or ability to test this for me?
Edited by Marginis on January 30, 2018 12:06AM
@Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it doesn't say "while you have sword/shield slotted" then that particular passive will work whenever that ability is slotted. As it is from the skill. I haven't tested it with a frost staff but see no reason why it won't reduce the block cost and increase the AMT you can block
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yamenstein wrote: »
    If it doesn't say "while you have sword/shield slotted" then that particular passive will work whenever that ability is slotted. As it is from the skill. I haven't tested it with a frost staff but see no reason why it won't reduce the block cost and increase the AMT you can block

It does say that, see here, http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Defensive_Posture, the relevant part here, "While you have a shield equipped and this ability slotted, the amount of damage you can block is increased by [5 / 6 / 7 / 8]% and the cost of blocking is reduced by [5 / 6 / 7 / 8]%.", So no, what the op is asking will not work.

Generally with weapon Skills you need that weapon sloted or a skill from that weapon sloted to get the benefit. Guild skills, world skills and class skills are different and will work with any weapon slotted and give the bonuses from the skill.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on January 30, 2018 11:12AM
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yamenstein wrote: »

It does say that, see here, http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Defensive_Posture, the relevant part here, "While you have a shield equipped and this ability slotted, the amount of damage you can block is increased by [5 / 6 / 7 / 8]% and the cost of blocking is reduced by [5 / 6 / 7 / 8]%.", So no, what the op is asking will not work.

Generally with weapon Skills you need that weapon sloted or a skill from that weapon sloted to get the benefit. Guild skills, world skills and class skills are different and will work with any weapon slotted and give the bonuses from the skill.

Yes, that specific caveat text was missing from the tooltip I was reading. Feels like when the game first came out and tooltips in different places were inconsistent even though the effects were the same. Regardless, I think what I'll have to do is assume the intent (weapon skills only work with that weapon equipped) unless I can test it in live personally.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good rule of thumb, you need the weapon equipped to gain any benefit from the Active or Passive Weapon skill. I can't think of a passive that gives benefit or an active that can be used if you don't have the weapon slotted, but one might have slipped through.

Except, you can level a weapon skill line just by having a weapon skill slotted. So, good way to level something like Resto Staff when your otherwise doing damage is to have a resto skill or two on the bar while questing or grinding mobs.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"