Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Increase Furnishing Cap [HOUSING]

• curreh
    curreh
    Soul Shriven
    Yes
    I purchased Amaya Lake Lodge the 600 cap hardly allows me to add all of the finishing touches that I deem necessary for “living”. The place is HUGE, first of all. It’s basically two houses in one, plus an extra storage room outside, and even a patio area. I have maxed out the normal furnishings, and have hardly anything furnished in the upper level suite, and had to remove so much foliage and rocks from the outside (which I hated having to do because I need a beautiful garden, dammit.)
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real issue is only with large houses. It's about 100 to short. Also this issue would be allievated if we had a way to wayshire or something to other houses. We could move some aspirations to other houses.
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The big issue is the lack of usable and creative structural items. If you want a stairs you have to build it yourself from 10-20 items. If you want a decent floor you have to assemble a few dozen orcish platforms. I accept that increasing item caps may affect server performance but if they gave us a wider variety of single piece complete structures it would alleviate much of the problem.
    Example - to put in an upper floor on my house took 12 pieces to make stairs and 22 pieces to make the floor! A fireplace can take 20 items and these are just basic creations that already exist in game.
    People have been saying it for months - stairs, walls & floor pieces. Introducing these would go a long way to alleviating item cap issues without stressing servers.
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Mannix1958
    Mannix1958
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    For all you saying "Less is More"...nothing stops you or anyone from using under the max. Just because you find it excessive why limit others who want more and there is plenty of space in the large homes for so much more than 700 objects.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Acrolas wrote: »
    Anyone who's even briefly studied design has heard the saying, "Less is More."

And it's true. While the limits could be raised a little bit, I'm sure it would just lead to more cluttered designs. And even though you get a cap of 350 in the manors as opposed to 300 in a large house, that's 600 and 700 with ESO+. I've used 300 just outside a house. The double furnishings is an excellent optional perk.

I could see maybe 375/750 on the manor. But you'd have to show me it's for good layout design and not just sky parkour mazes.

I looked at the various craft station configurations people have been using. Every single one basically crams the attunements into a row/column formation. When I used their stations, I got the feeling I was in one of those Indian sewing factories. I decided I would make my crafting area a bit more pleasant.

WJmau7G.jpg

I'm capped now. I have 13 durable good crafting stations out of 123... My construct approaches Frank Lloyd Wright levels of austerity with respect to amenities. No furniture to speak of, some lighting, no vegetation, maybe 30 spaces of crafting area props. It's big, yes, so that I can eventually accommodate all the stations. However, by and large, I'm capped without having finished the structural work.

NX61pgh.jpg

I have made many compromises just to get to this point. I was using upside down statue bases merged to form brick pathways and platforms. I had to replace them with crown purchased plates to lower item count. The effect is bad. The statue bases were nice and thick. My middle platform looks like paper from a distance. Not sure how to fix that.

VhvXNUN.jpg

Part of the item count problem is the lack of proper building materials, something ZoS could probably solve much more quickly than the item count. The item count exists because each item is an independent draw, so bigger items are a workable solution. If I could specify the dimensions of a platform (including perforations) and have it generated as one item, I'd save over a hundred spaces per platform.

In any event, I will still have to tear out 110 items to fit the remaining stations, and of course, they will add more stations.

The only really groundbreaking thing ZoS has done with ESO is housing. It's fantastic. Just not worth building something that you can't finish. If the cap doesn't increase, I am not going to do any more designs.

KlUUYAD.jpg

• Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    This has been requested many times and they said they would look into it.
    Increasing the furnishing cap may impact performance.

My suggestion of increasing the furnishings cap(new values below):
    1. Notable home - No ESO Plus: 1,000 furnishings, ESO Plus: 2,000
    2. Large home - No ESO Plus: 600 furnishings, ESO Plus: 1,200
    3. Medium home - No ESO Plus: 400 furnishings, ESO Plus: 800
    4. Small home - No ESO Plus: 200 furnishings, ESO Plus: 400
    5. Apartment home - No ESO Plus: 100 furnishings, ESO Plus: 200
    6. Inn home - No ESO Plus: 30 furnishings, ESO Plus: 60

*Notable homes are much larger than Large homes so their furnishings cap needs to be much higher.
    Edited by Universe on January 20, 2018 1:19PM
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    For starters they need to DOUBLE both the item cap AND the player cap in housing. I've passed on most of the Notable Homes due to the player cap. And if a medium home can hold 600 items why is it a notable home, which is easily twice as large, can only hold 100 more? If this is REALLY causing "performance issues" ZOS needs to come clean with us and tell us what those issues are and how they were tested... and what they are trying to do to compensate for them. I guarantee I'd be a lot more patient if it didn't feel like they were just blowing smoke on this issue.

Also:

We need a time of day setting in player housing. These are instanced places and the owner should be able to choose between morning/afternoon/evening/night settings at will. At a minimum between day and night.

INCREASE the light radius of ALL lighting sources. Seriously, it's really obvious that the structures in the game world do NOT have the same problems with lighting that ZOS has saddled us players with. FIX THIS PLEASE.

We need a Dwemer Music Box that will allow us to select zone music to play in our homes. We also need a bard NPC placeable that we can select either acoustic only songs or have them actually sing. Because, you know, some maniac might actually WANT to hear Red Diamond at will...
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    In particular, the collectible cap. At Ample Domicile, I can only put out 6 special collectibles, and this includes assistants--I want a guar garden in the courtyard, but 5-4 guars is not enough!!!
    PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Im not really into housing for vanity reasons. To me a house should provide a function in game, such as:
    * A place to store larger amounts of stuff than a bank
    * Logging out at a house gives well rested which gives you double XP when you kill stuff
    * Crafting stations that give a slight bonus to what is made there( because its your station and its set up perfectly for you rather than a public station)
    * The ability to have farm animals and gardens( some houses only)
    * Etc

I realize that the houses do provide a bit of function now. But with that said, i understand people wanting to be able to create their own little space and if someone wants to toss a couple of crafting stations in a house and thats it, that should be fine. If someone else wants their house to look like an episode of hoarders, then they should be able to do that.

Id take 6 houses with a really high cap( like cant go any higher because it will break the game) over 30 houses with a low cap. Besides if Zenimax sold space upgrade for crowns, they would make a fortune off peoples vanity.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Baranthus wrote: »
    Less is more. Comes down to aesthetics but mostly it's because I think there's 1000s of useful things ZoS could be doing than messing about with housing something that is fluff and not essential...

If you're worrying about such things as lag or balancing or the like, worry not. The team that works on housing is not going to be the same team that works on the other issues.

As for "fluff" and "non-essential", you are, of course, speaking for yourself, right?

I quite enjoy "fluff" and "non-essential" given especially that this is a GAME, a pastime so I'm not full tilt boogie into "only the essentials". :)

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    At least 1000 items
    Self-proclaimed Vampire Lord, or in this case, Blood Sion. º,...,º
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the reasoning Zos has presented is correct, that it is about server load, then polls like this are rather moot. We do not see how our homes and their decos affect the load. The question then becomes, is it worth it for Zos to add more servers for housing. A cost issue that OP does not take into account.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    How would people react if the furnishing limit was changed to be account based, rather than home based? Currently there seems to be around 8,000 Furnishing slots (non ESO+) available shared among many of the homes. If there was a visibly made Account Cap, I could easily see allowing players to have no per-house limit.

Personal performance when entering houses that try to place 8,000 furnishing items into one area though would be a concern, however. Would players need to open a Support ticket to scrub their furnishings if they Crash To Desktop or face increasingly longer load times because of this absurdly vast amount of placed items?

Would this cause wasted resources or an increased workload onto the staff?
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on January 20, 2018 4:19PM
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Double the limit. Problem solved, whiners (me incl.) calmed.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Mannix1958 wrote: »
    For all you saying "Less is More"...nothing stops you or anyone from using under the max. Just because you find it excessive why limit others who want more and there is plenty of space in the large homes for so much more than 700 objects.

Agreed!! ^^^^^

I just want the cap doubled at least.
    I have only one Manor that I care about, and that is our Guild Hall. (Or as close to a Guild Hall as Housing Limits will let us).
    I mean, just look at readable books for housing. To have a "Library" with all the books is 300+ slots! That is with out the book cases!! So 350 slots, or about half of max, is just books!!!
    "Special" slots?? There are only 10 slots available! If I want to add another pet or assistant, I can't because of the only 10 limit.
    Crafting Tables? To have them all for guildies + Mundas stones, would take 3/4 of slots available now.

TL:DR.... Please double the Housing Slot Cap! Make "Guild Halls" a viable thing! @ZOS_RichLambert
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Dystopia2020
    Dystopia2020
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

I realize that the houses do provide a bit of function now. But with that said, i understand people wanting to be able to create their own little space and if someone wants to toss a couple of crafting stations in a house and thats it, that should be fine. If someone else wants their house to look like an episode of hoarders, then they should be able to do that.

This gave me a good laugh; I am really not a hoarder, I just would like a few spoons and glasses on the tables, knick-knacks on the shelves, proper rugs, nice garden and lighting in a large house along with the crafting stations.
    Apotheosis Priori~ EP Altmer Vamplar
    Illumanatus Priori~ EP Altmer Mag Sorc
    Apostate Priori~ EP Altmer Mag DK
    Apostate De'Void~ (retired) AD Altmer crafter
    PC/ NA, Vivec
    This is the Spiral Skein. The tower is One. The strands are Eight. The lessons are Forever.
    "No really, I AM an Ayleid".
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    MornaBaine wrote: »

We need a time of day setting in player housing. These are instanced places and the owner should be able to choose between morning/afternoon/evening/night settings at will. At a minimum between day and night.

Totally agree. Most of the houses I have visited are tailored to either day or night, only a few to both. I personally use several lighting effects that you can't really see during the day. People who visit usually say they are going to duplicate my lighting effects (e.g., purple light brazier) than anything else.
  • Nibelaja
    Nibelaja
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone hear some news about this topic?
  • Charity164
    Charity164
    ✭✭
    Yes
    MornaBaine wrote: »

Totally agree. Most of the houses I have visited are tailored to either day or night, only a few to both. I personally use several lighting effects that you can't really see during the day. People who visit usually say they are going to duplicate my lighting effects (e.g., purple light brazier) than anything else.

I would love to have this setting since most of my homes look better at night.

Wreuntzylla, do you have videos of your lighting effects? I would love to get some ideas.
    AD Breton templar healer