Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Video] Tay's MagDK: Gameplay ~ Build ~ Class Discussion (yet another MagDK thread)

Taylor_MB
Taylor_MB
✭✭✭✭✭
Presenting the very uniquely named MagDK build:
~~~ Firestarter ~~~ TM (C)
- super creative name, no stealsies!

Outnumbered Gameplay - CWC
*all Cyrodiil clips no-CP

Outnumbered Gameplay - DnB

Outnumbered Gameplay - DnB vid #2

Build

2x Valkyn Skoria
5x Wizard's Riposte (4 body)
5x Rattlecage (1 body)

Statsheet from no-CP Cyrodiil with alliance Emperorship HP bonus:
CtQrABW.png
*there is a unique Rattlecage charged lightening staff drop from Grothdarr named "Despair" - would be better then Maelstrom

Class Discussion
(focusing on what strengths I chose to build around)

Offensive Healing
Offensive heals are by far one of the strongest types of abilities in the game, and this build takes full advantage of them.

Power Lash
iOqRkUZ.png
Definitely a contender for the most unique skill in the game. The bonus damage and superb healing remains un-nerfed because of the off-balance condition attached to it. In a standard MagDK setup PL is proc'd from Fossilize'ing + FL, or Talons + FL when target is CC immune. This build adds a charged lightening staff with a shock enchant and Wall of Elements for additional off-balance. This works by:
1) Shock attacks have a chance to proc concussed (its status effect which applies minor vulnerability increasing targets damage taken by 8%)
2) Charged trait increases this chance by 220% and destruction staff passive by 100%
3) Shock weapon enchant has a base chance to apply of 20%, the above modifiers take this to 84% (in the video I said guaranteed, correct value is 84%)
4) Blockade of Storms (as an AoE DoT) has a base chance to apply of 1%, the above modifiers take this to 4.2%
5) Blockade of Storms automatically sets concussed enemies off-balance

All of the above culminates in a very high minor vulnerability and off-balance uptime which means almost constant bonus damage and healing from Flame Lash, greatly increasing the offensive pressure and survivability of the build.

Burning Embers
9YR9ALA.png
Can stack on infinite opponents providing an amazing burst heal when expired, reapplied or purged. Heals for percentage of damage done, so heal is diminished if removed early or target is a mist form junky.

Devouring Swarm (not a class skill)
fUT3k6b.png
Decent AoE damage to pressure all those around you whilst keeping you alive in a zerg for its duration.

Damage Over Time Skills
Magicka Dragonknights have a solid array of class based DoT's with easy access to Reach and Entropy if the build requires. As such Valkyn Skoria works amazingly to proc from the DoT's and to add burst damage.

Engulfing Flames
zrSqE6h.png
Increases targets damage taken from flame abilities (which any MagDK build would be using a significant amount of) and it's an AoE DoT that sticks to the players, so kiting won't help them avoid the damage. Proc's Warmth passive snaring enemies by 30%, keeping them within your reach. Can be tricky to use if you play with high ping.

Flames of Oblivion
jBWppY8.png
Passively grants Major Prophecy, so always benefiting you even if you don't get a chance to activate. Unique burst style DoT only ticking every 5 seconds, useful to line your other burst up with. Proc's Warmth passive snaring enemies by 30%, keeping them within your reach.

Burning Talons
2BgHja3.png
Soft CC for when target(s) have immunity, use to proc Power Lash, decent damage.

Volatile Armour
KyNSQnU.png
Major resistance buffs, alright damage and gives 12% healing received through the Burning Heart passive.

Burning Embers
as above

Utility Skills
Only using 2 pure utility skills on this build, but they both serve very important survivability functions.

Dragon Fire Scales
qC0CwHP.png
Getting hit by someone outside your range whilst already engaged in melee combat? Just wing it! Stun your opponent, pop wings, wait as long as you can to reflect the greatest amount of projectiles, then use Ferocious Leap!

Elusive Mist
nqDy7W1.png
This is your only repositioning tool as a MagDK. With 75% damage reduction and major expedition it does its job effectively, but especially when playing in no-CP you have to be mindful of the halted magicka regeneration, line of sight quickly.

Summary
I've achieved the most success through building around high off-balance uptime and utilising a large array of DoT abilities. To accomplish this I chose Rattlecage to free up a skill slot and Wizard's Riposte to remain tanky whilst getting the important cost reduction of light armour to offset the prohibitively high cost of DK's skills. Valkyn Skoria was chosen for its effectiveness with many DoT abilities. This build does sacrifice raw stats for utility and flexibility.

Laters
- Tay

Edited by Taylor_MB on April 19, 2018 1:49AM
PvP Defensive Set Comparison
Firestarter MagDK 1vX
- build and gamplay!
LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
- build and gamplay!
ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
- build and gamplay!
Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
My YouTube Chanel

• Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY interesting setup. I know of another very good magdk on PC EU that plays without dragon blood this patch. I love it!
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    roffl i actually plan something similar for mine ...

seems like 2 ppl with the same idea^^ im just lvling the destro staff skilline
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is your max mag so low.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Taylor_MB How are your thoughts about off-balance the upcoming patch (regarding your build)? Will the changes affect it somehow? On the PTS you can at the moment spam those whips like there´s no tomorrow, and since I doubt it´s intended I´m just curious how it might affect the build.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zParallaxz wrote: »
    It’s non Cp, and he’s using tristat glyphs on all gear which helps his health and stamina to the detriment of his magicka. Really just a playstyle choice, I run a little less health and stam to have more magic — essentially a couple less tristat glyphs in favor of plain magicka glyphs.

I run a similar build with Riposte but with it I have Burning Spellweave and Grothdarr. I also like the sword and board gap closer and must use molten armaments for major sorcery. It seems to work pretty well so far but I’m more into small group play with it than trying to 1vX like Tay.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't Charged only work while you're on that bar?

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The staff can be trait changed, I have been using a decisive lightning staff on back bar myself. Despair is charged by default but the point is not to lose major sorcery on the back bar.
    Edited by Kartalin on January 15, 2018 6:26PM
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    @Taylor_MB How are your thoughts about off-balance the upcoming patch (regarding your build)? Will the changes affect it somehow? On the PTS you can at the moment spam those whips like there´s no tomorrow, and since I doubt it´s intended I´m just curious how it might affect the build.
    I simply cannot believe this change will go live, at least not for PvP. It would be a horrendously overpowered buff for MagDK.

zParallaxz wrote: »
    Tri-stat everything. Balance to how you feel comfortable.

Doesn't Charged only work while you're on that bar?
    Probably? Never needed to test. Even if I'm laying down WoE preemptively I still stay on my back to 1) pop wings while they close the gap and 2) wait until they are in range of engulfing flames. It would be interesting to know for certain, but doesn't really effect my playstyle so never did test.

Trashs1 wrote: »

Great minds think alike... but fools seldom differ ;)

Edited by Taylor_MB on January 17, 2018 5:17AM
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I use something similar but frost staff, plus frost/weakening enchant, with the frost staff backbar/dual weld front bar on my Magplar.

Idea was to proc AOE chilled with enchant procs+Light Attack procs for the target I want to focus on, get minor maim, and lay down pressure where I don't have to do anything but try to fight in the WoE.

Backbar destro is very strong. Especially if you can fit ele drain and/or are using a more defensive front bar.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

RIP this build next patch.

Ran almost exact same build last guild duel night we did.
    PC EU
  • Sylphie
    Sylphie
    ✭✭✭
    Nice build, I'm glad to see more people are picking up the blockade backbar playstyle.
    Edited by Sylphie on January 16, 2018 3:17AM
    @Curie
    Làin - MagDK
    1vX and outnumbered pvp compliations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0gPPFOdjYCuyuuog7QcjJg
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

I use something similar but frost staff, plus frost/weakening enchant, with the frost staff backbar/dual weld front bar on my Magplar.

Idea was to proc AOE chilled with enchant procs+Light Attack procs for the target I want to focus on, get minor maim, and lay down pressure where I don't have to do anything but try to fight in the WoE.

Backbar destro is very strong. Especially if you can fit ele drain and/or are using a more defensive front bar.

i know your 2h/froststaff build, was verry creative; also entertaining bg video :)

@Taylor_MB im relatively new to mag dk (char is verry old but never went into dept with him)

after testing him a bit and watching some videos i have a question regarding to engulfing flames.

some youtuber use it some not. it gives a big 10% dmg bonus on al flame abilitys but the dot is barley noticable.

when i play my mdk it feels kinda cluncy to aply engulfing flames+burning embers before i can start whiping^^ and since u are one of the most powerful theorycrafters in general here i asume u also did some indept thinking on this skill worth slotting or not^^

what do u think?
    Edited by Trashs1 on January 16, 2018 1:19PM
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Trashs1
    Engulfing flames only just made the cut over Coagulating Blood or Entropy.

Pros:
    • 10% extra flame damage
    - increases damage of Lash
    - increases heal from Burning Embers
    - increases damage of Leap
    - (and more!)
    • another DoT (even if small) to help keep all that layered damage going
    • helps proc Skoria

Cons:
    • It misses very frequently

So purely theoretically it is an amazing skill and definitely should be slotted. But you are right, it is very clunky to use, and my 300 ping makes it miss almost enough to drop it off my bar. Despite this, I still think it's worth slotting because of all the pros listed above, but that is a very subjective recommendation. If you find it doesn't quite work into your rotation and it is missing too much, then by all means drop it out for something else.
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    thx a lot :)