The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

vMA

• nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭
    you won't learn a single thing in normal maelstrom, but sure, go ahead and do it if thats what you want. Its not a real representation of what maelstrom arena is, and how mechanics work.

On normal vMA you will do critical , fatal mistakes yet still survive. That is bad. that will make you think you got it, while in reality you will be walking for a disaster.

cool story bro. Pretty sure I displayed my intentions on nVA. I'm not really going to go there to "learn" vMA. I'm going to go there for 1. an xp gain and 2. just to simply see where I am at in the game.

I'm not going to go to nVA, and run it over and over and over and over and over until I've learned it so much that going into vMA is going to be an absolute shock.

I will do critical mistakes pretty much no matter where I go. Look, if I go straight to vMA I will utterly and totally, miserably, and absolutely fail immediately and likely never go back. Normal MA isn't a dress rehearsal but it is experience that I can use.

I won't have vMA gear for sometime yet so it's worth starting my research and practice now. If anything I will get to practice my rotation and find out where I need work.

Honestly at this point, and quite frankly, stop suggesting that nMA is a waste of time. This thread wasn't started to hear your opinions on what nMA is good for or isn't good for.

I've watched Alcast's video, read Joy's guide, and even Deltia's (though I don't care much for his content). I thoroughly understand that vMA is an entirely different beast than nMA. The line of thinking that I shouldn't do nMA because it doesn't prep me for vMA is like saying I shouldn't do normal dungeons because they are way easier than vet dungeons. Even if the difficulty spread between normal dungeons and vet dungeons isn't as great as normal and vet maelstrom, they still have their purpose.

So if you have stamina build suggestions, stamina strategies, stamina skills, and other relevant content to input and make this a constructive thread, then by all means, please share. Otherwise, save it. I mean, you can go ahead and type whatever you want but it'll fall on deaf ears and only serve to be off-topic to the OP. What I would like to discuss, hear, and listen to are stamina and DK oriented experiences, strategies, and builds. That's it. Meanwhile, I will be practicing and preparing.

Thank you to those who have topic relevant responses. Oh, and Happy New Year to you all!!

Have you even attempted it yet? Maybe just give it a shot instead of overcomplicating things. By the time you watched all those guides and what not you could have cleared nMA 10 times. I assume you are using a proper build as you mentioned Alcast and that's really all (and even more than) you need.

People are not giving you tips on how to clear nMA because it's not necessary.
    [PC EU][GERMAN][ENGLISH][730~ CP]
    Flawless Conquerer - vHoF HM - vAS+1 - vMoL - vCR
    the Kuhn - Dunmer - MagNB
    Samjuel-EL - Orc - StamNB
    Son Hala - Altmer - MagSorc
    Draxyl - Argonian - Warden
  • boombazookajd
    boombazookajd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stamDK. Basically following Alcast's beginner "Venom" build:

5 piece Hundings w. 5 piece night mothers gaze, Spriggans jewelry for the stamina boost.

@Mister_DMC ^^^^^ Still waiting on a few research pieces to finish, again that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Currently running Sunderflame and odd bits here and there. Hence the research into gear.

@nnargun I'm not asking for tips on nMA. My original question pertained to when I could/should do nMA. Now that was answered, the thread has shifted focus to vMA, or at least I am trying to shift the focus to vMA but folks like you keep dragging up nMA for whatever reason. Whether or not you are even reading the thread is another question entirely.

nMA is a cakewalk. got it. Still gunna go do it. Don't need to talk about it anymore.

What I am concerned with having a discussion about is stamina based experiences as my references are all magicka based.

I would like to know from any staminaDK players what they struggled with in vMA. Did you have an issue with resource management? That is, did you find the demand on stamina to be so great that you needed to run a recovery/reduce glyph?

Those are the kinds of things that will be beneficial to this thread, not getting lost on what nMA is good for, the difference between nMA and vMA, or what I choose to do with my time..maybe my xbox is broken, maybe i've been on holiday and haven't had a chance to play much, or maybe, I don't play the game 24/7. So, please, don't tell me what to do with my time bud.

Let's try to stay on topic folks, and have a discussion about a stamina approach to vMA. I understand it's rather difficult compared to a magicka approach. Thoughts?
    Drathus Delenu- Dunmer magDk: Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Stormproof, Peak Scaler, Clockwork Confounder, Orderly, Master Wizard, Cloudrest Hero, Undaunted, Dragonstar Arena Champion
    Thoronir Rolston- Breton petsorc: Stormproof
    Zaakazha-Redguard stamblade: Boethia's Scythe, Clockwork Confounder, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Dragonstar Arena Champion

Scrubs:
    Justinius Maximus Decimus- Altmer magblade
    Agronak gro'Mashul- Orc DK Tank
    Valerya Hawkcroft- Breton healer
    Zaaka- Imperial stamDK/crafter

✭✭✭✭✭
    For StamDK, use dragon fire scale and corrosive armor. Makes vMA much easier. Corrosive let's you do straight burns on some round bosses and helps on some add waves. Combined with blade cloak and vigor your survivability should be there.

Following a pure PvE trials setup on a DK won't be helpful, as vMA favors burst over dot setups. I recommend dropping a dot for shrouded dagger or steel tornado to give you a spammable of sorts.

Also, run some normal craglorn trials to put together a vicious ophidian set. That is super good in vMA. Pair it with night mothers gaze (crafted) or spriggans (dropped) with a monster set of your choice (kragh is easily obtainable).
  • boombazookajd
    boombazookajd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For StamDK, use dragon fire scale and corrosive armor. Makes vMA much easier. Corrosive let's you do straight burns on some round bosses and helps on some add waves. Combined with blade cloak and vigor your survivability should be there.

Following a pure PvE trials setup on a DK won't be helpful, as vMA favors burst over dot setups. I recommend dropping a dot for shrouded dagger or steel tornado to give you a spammable of sorts.

Also, run some normal craglorn trials to put together a vicious ophidian set. That is super good in vMA. Pair it with night mothers gaze (crafted) or spriggans (dropped) with a monster set of your choice (kragh is easily obtainable).

Ok so burst is a new term for me, whats a burst setup compared to a dot setup. I know I have a heavy dot set up now with endless hail, venomous claw, noxious breath, flames of oblivion, etc.. is venomous claw worth dropping for a burst?
    Drathus Delenu- Dunmer magDk: Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Stormproof, Peak Scaler, Clockwork Confounder, Orderly, Master Wizard, Cloudrest Hero, Undaunted, Dragonstar Arena Champion
    Zaakazha-Redguard stamblade: Boethia's Scythe, Clockwork Confounder, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Dragonstar Arena Champion

Scrubs:

✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just did my first run ever in vMA on a stamina toon.

Even though I stink at it and did not even have things like Dawnbreaker, I was able to grind out the complete without too much stress, though I did die a lot cuz I stink :smiley:

The crawl before you walk method the OP is advocating can work; I mean because I have the mechanics memorized and know how the arena works is why I was able to beat this playing on a toon I'm not even very good at.

The big difference I noticed, aside from the higher damage my stam toon was pulling, is that stamina seems to need more of a plan and be more disciplined at maintaining their HoTs since there is no harness magicka. Normal MA does not have a lot of incoming damage, don't fall into bad habits not doing the things you ought to.

If you don't have vigor, get it. Took me about 3 hours of just the regular weekend zergfests on vivec.

In my newest guide, I uploaded a video of me doing vMA with 300 CPs in the 4th post. While it's a magicka DK and thus not going to help with specific class/mag-stam strategies, I have to do most of vMA's intended general mechanics because of the low CP (i.e. I can't just burn DPS through stuff), stuff that a lot of the newer videos of 690 CP players won't have.
    Edited by Joy_Division on January 1, 2018 4:24PM
  • boombazookajd
    boombazookajd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always @Joy_Division you're insight is always great. I'll check out the video. I will head over and zerg surf for vigor this upcoming weekend. I have no clue what I am doing in PvP and I'll likely be that noob with a bow but oh well.

I'm looking forward to the challenge!

Scrubs: