Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Rate this niche ice magnb build

Exodium
Exodium
✭✭✭✭
Hi guys
I've had a master ice staff in my bank for a while so I thought I'd theory craft a pvp aoe/root build around it with the potential for burst.

Still need to farm 1 more winterborn piece but let me know how this set up would go and if you've had experience with an ice build before.

Race: High Elf
Mundus: Mage (or atronarch if mag recovery is an issue)
Vampire
Set 1: winterborn 5 piece
Set 2: 3 willpower jewellery (mag recovery)
Set 3: Valkyn
Destro: Master Ice staff
Resto: random resto staff

Skill bar 1: destructive reach (spammable), dampen magicka, Merciless, elemental drain, ice blockade, soul tether ultimate

Skill bar 2: shadow image, healing ward, entropy, mass hysteria, double take, resto ultimate

Basically rotation will be open with entropy, pop buffs, put elemental blockade and spam the crap out of destructive reach to keep people immobilised and distant. With all the cold damage and dots I should be able to constantly proc winterborn and Valkyn. Spectral bow can act as an execute and soul tether will compliment my aoe burst.

I was thinking of slotting swallow soul but tbh I find that with a master ice staff the damage won't be far off.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? As I said this is a niche build and I've seen some people pull off mag Nb with ice staves well so yeah give me suggestions!
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As far as RP builds go this isn't bad. Just make sure to use impen. Your sustain will likely be garbage though so slot Siphoning attacks. I would also use apprentice over Mage. Winterborn is a rather not very good set, Julianos would be better
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • ajaxtheboss
    ajaxtheboss
    ✭✭
    Baharas curse with masters ice staff is always fun.
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hollery wrote: »
    As far as RP builds go this isn't bad. Just make sure to use impen. Your sustain will likely be garbage though so slot Siphoning attacks. I would also use apprentice over Mage. Winterborn is a rather not very good set, Julianos would be better

I've calculated that with mag recovery glyphs, high elf passive and light armour passive that my mag recovery should get close to 2k. That's not including major intellec from potions. But yeah might consider Siphoning or atronarch if that doesn't work out.

See winterborn has a decent tooltip (8k?) and it's aoe. It's much stronger than baharas which hits for 1k and it's 2-4 piece bonuses are really good.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exodium wrote: »

I've calculated that with mag recovery glyphs, high elf passive and light armour passive that my mag recovery should get close to 2k. That's not including major intellec from potions. But yeah might consider Siphoning or atronarch if that doesn't work out.

See winterborn has a decent tooltip (8k?) and it's aoe. It's much stronger than baharas which hits for 1k and it's 2-4 piece bonuses are really good.

Good luck finishing that last ring.

40 runs, 1 ring...

Anyway...

It'll be fun, you should have a good time. Just don't go into BGs Xbox and we're golden
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, a cool thing about winterborn is that it has no cooldown. That makes it a usable set in BGs imo, where you can drop an ice blockade on a stack of players and have it proc often, giving you the damage, snare, and potentially applying chilled status effect(minor maim)
    Edited by Lexxypwns on December 30, 2017 9:13PM
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭

40 runs, 1 ring...

Anyway...

It'll be fun, you should have a good time. Just don't go into BGs Xbox and we're golden

Haha I'm doing 5 piece body :P I purposely tried to avoid the rings. My jewellery will be willpower.
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    So, a cool thing about winterborn is that it has no cooldown. That makes it a usable set in BGs imo, where you can drop an ice blockade on a stack of players and have it proc often, giving you the damage, snare, and potentially applying chilled status effect(minor maim)

Exactly! The tool tip for me says like 9k too which isn't bad considering valkyn says 11k, and that is hitting all people in the radius. Plus the 60% snare and constant immobilisation from my frost reach skill. This just seems so fun

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

40 runs, 1 ring...

Anyway...

Haha I'm doing 5 piece body :P I purposely tried to avoid the rings. My jewellery will be willpower.

Exactly! The tool tip for me says like 9k too which isn't bad considering valkyn says 11k, and that is hitting all people in the radius. Plus the 60% snare and constant immobilisation from my frost reach skill. This just seems so fun

The snare and roots is really cool. Imo the problem lies in killing tanky opponents. (Pretty much anything can kill a squishy target)

Will this build stop a permablocker from running the relic?
    Can you GTFO of a bad situation when 3 players focus on you?
    Can you have access to snare removal?
    Can you run the relic?
    Can your snares/roots prevent reinforcements?

If you can answer yes to all of those with your build you're ready for BGs.

Getting kills is the last on the list imo
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. So basically a perma root build. How will this work on stambuilds ? You cannot keep them rooted that much.
    THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CavalryPK wrote: »
    Hmm. So basically a perma root build. How will this work on stambuilds ? You cannot keep them rooted that much.

It's also very susceptible to FM and shuffle. Which kinda hard counters the build and is common.

I really am a fan of the idea, as I had a similar build (why I wanted that GD ring...) But when I realized most players have the hard counter I gave it up. The frost destro ult is pretty awesome on someone with out a counter, even though it's stationary they can't get out.

Drop frost barricade on em for the snare too, it's great till it's not
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah a permaroot build with the potential for burst. Yeah the Forward momentum/shuffle builds kinda scare me cause it negates my setup significantly but I should still be able to do some damage on them I'd hope
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭

It's also very susceptible to FM and shuffle. Which kinda hard counters the build and is common.

I really am a fan of the idea, as I had a similar build (why I wanted that GD ring...) But when I realized most players have the hard counter I gave it up. The frost destro ult is pretty awesome on someone with out a counter, even though it's stationary they can't get out.

Drop frost barricade on em for the snare too, it's great till it's not

Frost blockade is definitely going on my bar :) Didn't think about using destro ult that could actually work
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Realistically, the amount of builds that can use Forward momentum and have adequate healing against heavy focused pressure is really small
    Edited by Lexxypwns on December 30, 2017 10:54PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Realistically, the amount of builds that can use Forward momentum and have adequate healing against heavy focused pressure is really small

But if you're running FM and have access to major Expedition, heavy focused pressure doesn't exist
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running a very similar build atm based around asylum ice staff and crushing, the aoe helps proc winterborn and it alot of fun.

I have found though thay I like the 3 piece necro jewelry over the willpower with all tri glyphs on armor besides 2 big pieces. Brought my max stats up a good bit. Also I like to use mist form over image atm, being bugged aND all. Plus that cc break is pretty nice

Just food for thought

Q ('.'Q) give em hell
    Edited by Datthaw on December 30, 2017 11:58PM
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    I'm running a very similar build atm based around asylum ice staff and crushing, the aoe helps proc winterborn and it alot of fun.

I have found though thay I like the 3 piece necro jewelry over the willpower with all tri glyphs on armor besides 2 big pieces. Brought my max stats up a good bit. Also I like to use mist form over image atm, being bugged aND all. Plus that cc break is pretty nice

Just food for thought

Q ('.'Q) give em hell

Ah awesome how are you finding your mag sustain? What's your recovery sitting at atm?
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guys quick dilemma. Which morph of wall of elements is better for pvp? Elemental blockade or Unstable wall of elements?
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »

Just food for thought

Q ('.'Q) give em hell

Ah awesome how are you finding your mag sustain? What's your recovery sitting at atm?

Its ok, I could normally get by with just siphon strikes with strife but I've added elemental drain also. I'm sitting at 1800 regen atm biggest thing I'm having problems adjusting to is no heal from spammable, sallow soul has me spoiled
    Edited by Datthaw on December 31, 2017 2:09AM
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm quite interesting. Could be a good build for area denial builds. I can imagine using something like that in a duo/3m group scenario where you kite the zergs then set up in a small tunnel or space.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Subversus wrote: »

Hmmm quite interesting. Could be a good build for area denial builds. I can imagine using something like that in a duo/3m group scenario where you kite the zergs then set up in a small tunnel or space.

I’ve used winterborn a bit in BGs and on flags, where you can get groups of people clustered you’ll see it proc a whole lot. It’s on the low end of viable, partially because in some situations you can’t ensure multiple procs and partially because there’s so many superior magika sets
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    Use maelstrom ice in group and masters ice in solo. Reach isnt viable as a spammable. You need to use swallow soul. Winterborn will proc alot just from either reach or wall of elements plus light attack weave and a frost glyph.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    lynog85 wrote: »
    Use maelstrom ice in group and masters ice in solo. Reach isnt viable as a spammable. You need to use swallow soul. Winterborn will proc alot just from either reach or wall of elements plus light attack weave and a frost glyph.

Since we're min/maxing this setup, you should use a shock glyph instead of ice. The concussion proc will increase the damage of winterborn in such a way that its superior to the extra proc chance every couple of seconds.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did this when procsets could crit with ysgramors 5pc and winterborn with a masters frost staff...ice destro ground bases ultimate is fun to drop on zergs...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭

Reach with a master ice staff actually has a tooltip just off of swallow soul (plus its a DoT so extra damage that can proc skoria more consistently). Also it immobilises, which isn't a hard CC meaning I can keep people rooted/distant then go in with soul tether or incap...

I would never use reach without a master staff though tbh. I do know a lot of sorcerers are now using flame reach as their spammable with master staves
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭

Since we're min/maxing this setup, you should use a shock glyph instead of ice. The concussion proc will increase the damage of winterborn in such a way that its superior to the extra proc chance every couple of seconds.

Yeah was going to use concussion or disease. Major defile is a fun status effect to put on people lol
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using an infused master ice staff? That's what I would use & make up the penetration & dmg elsewhere.
    I would probably put dampen on back bar & sap on front.
    Remove double take & use blessing of resto, I think it's buffed by asylum staff, then you wouldn't need to just use a random one.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg