Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Starting a magic sorc

Unfadingsilence
Unfadingsilence
✭✭✭✭✭
So I have been playing Magic NB for pve since day one and Stam NB for pvp as well, but I really never played a magic class in pvp and thought I would try magic sorcerer but have NO clue as to what gear sets to farm for and or to run. Any help would be great thanks
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Shacklebreaker is crafted and absolutely fantastic. Alternatively, you could farm Amberplasm in Ruins of Mazzatun.

Monster sets are underwhelming, except Shadowrend in small scale, Engine Guardian, and maybe Pirate Skeleton if you get lucky on the proc. One piece Domihaus is really good, as well.

The second five piece defines your utility. Lich for sustain, but imo two sustain sets are a bit too much. Spinner's for good damage, especially against heavy armor. Wizard's Riposte for more defense. If you wanna run Necropotence, you can only backbar your sustain set, as proccing it with Shadowrend or Engine Guardian is better than slotting an unreliable pet.

Special mention to the Master's Inferno. Since the removal of Frag CC, Destructive Reach with this staff equipped can serve as your spammable just like Force Pulse, plus it can CC without spending time on Rune Cage, keeping the pressure up.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go with amber/shackle/master staff as a beginner build. It has great sustain and allows you to run spell dmg glyphs. Use destro reach instead of shock as spammable, rest of the bars should remain the same (curse finisher frags streak 3 shields mines dark deal).
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »
    I'd go with amber/shackle/master staff as a beginner build. It has great sustain and allows you to run spell dmg glyphs. Use destro reach instead of shock as spammable, rest of the bars should remain the same (curse finisher frags streak 3 shields mines dark deal).

Where's your Major Sorcery coming from? You need Power Surge or Entropy ahead of Mines.

The gear and the rest of the skills are the most beginner friendly, agreed.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »

Where's your Major Sorcery coming from? You need Power Surge or Entropy ahead of Mines.

Pot. Also gives you Major Prophecy.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

That means pre-buffing your self with pots and losing the ability to use an emergency tri-pot to escape execute range or get stamina/magicka back during a long fight.

I would never trade that safety net to get Mines on the bar, and I certainly would not recommend it for new players.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I always use spell power pots on sorc, have done so since I made her when TG launched. I don't have bar space for it as I find overload bar clunky af...

Edit: here you go mate https://youtu.be/FFsT79bwgkk

1vX from arguably the best mag sorc on PC EU. He uses spell power pots ;)
    Edited by Subversus on December 29, 2017 4:35PM
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I always use spell power pots on sorc, have done so since I made her when TG launched. I don't have bar space for it as I find overload bar clunky af...

Except for the part where he doesn't, you mean? There's 3 clips in that video and he has to resort to using tri-pots in at least two of them. Not exactly the best endorsement of spell power pots if you ask me.

He might be very very skilled, bu that doesn't mean the build is ideal or that it's necessarily a good one for new players now, does it?
    EU | PC | AD
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except for the part where he doesn't, you mean? There's 3 clips in that video and he has to resort to using tri-pots in at least two of them. Not exactly the best endorsement of spell power pots if you ask me.

He might be very very skilled, bu that doesn't mean the build is ideal or that it's necessarily a good one for new players now, does it?

I didn't mean to point out his use (or lack thereof) of sorcery but how he plays without a sorcery skill on his bar.

The build is actually BiS for magsorc if you use reach IMO, but that's another story. Sorcs already have high tooltips, major sorcery is not very needed especially when other skills are far more vital.
  • TarrNokk
    TarrNokk
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why you set master destro staff for a beginner sorc. 1. Not everyone has a toon who manage vArena. 2.for beginner sorc is master staff not useful, it's only useful in pvp which means endgame not beginner.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That means pre-buffing your self with pots and losing the ability to use an emergency tri-pot to escape execute range or get stamina/magicka back during a long fight.

I would never trade that safety net to get Mines on the bar, and I certainly would not recommend it for new players.

Of course not. You trade that safety to slot Rune Cage, to deal with dodgers and blockers and force your Meteorcursefragfury burst to hit for that juicy 30k.
    >;3
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TarrNokk wrote: »
    I don't understand why you set master destro staff for a beginner sorc. 1. Not everyone has a toon who manage vArena. 2.for beginner sorc is master staff not useful, it's only useful in pvp which means endgame not beginner.

Beginner sorc could mean he's a beginner as a sorc, not as a player ;)
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmm
    Ward front bar for that extra 700 ward size. I get that.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Irylia wrote: »
    hmmm

It's not for that at all. The reason many people prefer Hardened on the front bar is because it allows them to stay aggressive without having to dip into the back bar too often.

Quite a lot of people prefer Streak on the front bar too as it's used as part of an offensive rotation to stun before a curse/meteor hits while also being on the right bar to apply a frag/fury to finish the target off.

It's a playstyle. Don't knock it till you've at least tried it.

Edited by Maulkin on December 29, 2017 8:43PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on how you play. Sustain sets like Shacklebreaker and Amberplasm are great 1vX, if that's what you're going to do. If you usually play in groups, you could go with ulti-gen/cost gear like Shalk's, Dragonguard, Bloodspawn and be a negate factory to support the group. Or you could go with VD and high spell damage and use Mage's Wrath to steal kills and get that VD proc.

My advice is to not gold-out any gear, but try a bunch of different stuff with your Sorc until you find a groove that works for you.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry didn’t see what section this post was in from the recent category. Disregard.
    Edited by Bryanonymous on December 29, 2017 9:20PM
  • Unfadingsilence
    Unfadingsilence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TarrNokk wrote: »

Beginner sorc could mean he's a beginner as a sorc, not as a player ;)

This thank you I have played eso for many years I have 8 toons over 1000 CP just never played a magic sorcerer
  • King_Thelon
    King_Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Commit yourself to THE KING with all that you are, and trust naught in your own understanding

• Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm

It's not for that at all. The reason many people prefer Hardened on the front bar is because it allows them to stay aggressive without having to dip into the back bar too often.

Quite a lot of people prefer Streak on the front bar too as it's used as part of an offensive rotation to stun before a curse/meteor hits while also being on the right bar to apply a frag/fury to finish the target off.

And for the Daedric Protection passive. I got Curse on the backbar to start my combo with LA-Curse, proccing my infused weapon damage glyph. So I need another Daedric Summoning skill on the front.

Also good to proc a Frag, especially when the enemy is cloaked or LoS'ing and stuff.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmm

And for the Daedric Protection passive. I got Curse on the backbar to start my combo with LA-Curse, proccing my infused weapon damage glyph. So I need another Daedric Summoning skill on the front.

Also good to proc a Frag, especially when the enemy is cloaked or LoS'ing and stuff.

I also run curse backbar and streak frontbar, I've been doing so for ages now. Proccing the dmg infused glyph when applying curse is quite strong. I wonder if that's optimal though, if it shouldn't be better to swap them out. Hmmmm
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm

To be fair those that don't have Hardened on the front bar, they have Curse instead. So they get the Daedric Protection passive on both bars anyway. People split Curse and Hardened over the two bars, pretty much always. However, the Infused Resto backbar with weapon enchant glyph is a good reason to keep your Curse at the backbar and proc it every 4-5" when you reapply Curse.

I've been very tempted lately to move Streak on the backbar to have Rune Cage on the front for the guaranteed burst damage. Cause the Streak->Meteor combo gets blocked by competent players or potato block-holders. If I do that I'll ditch Streak in favour of BoL and have it as a purely defensive/re-positioning move.

Problem is finding bar space, as always.

Edited by Maulkin on December 30, 2017 12:26PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, yes, forcing your whole burst to hit with Rune Cage is reaaally powerful. I narrowed it down to replacing Mines with it. Mines are very situational and standing your ground can get you killed easily, and they're EXPENSIVE.

Streak or BoL... Streak is still useful, despite Rune Cage. Knocking people out of stealth, being undodgable, and it's an AoE stun.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Use Overload and be rewarded for not falling back on Light's Champion with extra skill slots!
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    Use Overload and be rewarded for not falling back on Light's Champion with extra skill slots!

If you use overload and not lights champion then you have much to learn, young padawan. :P
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or not, but the rare times that I step into Cyrodiil, I find the Overload bar more useful than Resto Ult. So I agree. I tend to keep everything from Mines to Rapid Manoeuvres on that bar.

However in the BGs where I have to hold flags or carry relics, Resto Ult reigns supreme. An essential skill for Sorc “tanking”.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or not, but the rare times that I step into Cyrodiil, I find the Overload bar more useful than Resto Ult. So I agree. I tend to keep everything from Mines to Rapid Manoeuvres on that bar.

However in the BGs where I have to hold flags or carry relics, Resto Ult reigns supreme. An essential skill for Sorc “tanking”.

As I said, to use overload bar and not just as well use resto ult on top of it is foolish. No reason not to kind of situation.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

As I said, to use overload bar and not just as well use resto ult on top of it is foolish. No reason not to kind of situation.

They patched out the third ulti slot?
    (o_ô)