Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magblade builds without cloak

Datthaw
Datthaw
✭✭✭✭✭
So I'm making this thread to see what kinda builds people have without cloak.

After dueling in wayrest with another magblade I received some odd and rather eye opening advice.... drop cloak. So ever since outside of cyro where I will still run cloak or mist I have abandoned it from my bar.

Reason being for no cloak is its really just a crutch. I always knew this, but used it to reset fights when I was about to go down. Once I started fighting the more experienced players I found they are on to that cat and mouse game. They consistently pulled me from cloak.

So I'm making this thread for other magblades to share and discuss no cloak builds.

My build so far, I am testing 3 different gear setup atm but the bar stays the same

Bar1 - magharness, mercy, elemental drain, funnel health, flame reach, incap
Bar2 - healing ward, mirage, leeching strikes, degeneration, refreshing path.

Gear setups in testing are
5 warmaiden 3 willpower 2 skoria (oddball staffs, master inferno would be my bis)
5 Julianos 5 transmutation 2 skoria
5 wizard reposte 5 transmutation 2 skoria

Interested to see what other magblade players have to say on this topic
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    So I'm making this thread to see what kinda builds people have without cloak.

After dueling in wayrest with another magblade I received some odd and rather eye opening advice.... drop cloak. So ever since outside of cyro where I will still run cloak or mist I have abandoned it from my bar.

Reason being for no cloak is its really just a crutch. I always knew this, but used it to reset fights when I was about to go down. Once I started fighting the more experienced players I found they are on to that cat and mouse game. They consistently pulled me from cloak.

So I'm making this thread for other magblades to share and discuss no cloak builds.

My build so far, I am testing 3 different gear setup atm but the bar stays the same

Bar1 - magharness, mercy, elemental drain, funnel health, flame reach, incap
    Bar2 - healing ward, mirage, leeching strikes, degeneration, refreshing path.

Gear setups in testing are
    5 warmaiden 3 willpower 2 skoria (oddball staffs, master inferno would be my bis)
    5 Julianos 5 transmutation 2 skoria
    5 wizard reposte 5 transmutation 2 skoria

Interested to see what other magblade players have to say on this topic

Without getting into the finer details, nightblades are not inherently exclusivley a stealth class. Cloak has never been mandatory nor is it considered unorthadox to not use it. Magblades have other tools like a heavy emphasis on self healing increase and hots on top of positioning tools like shade. Eventually you realize that there is nothing "eye opening" about not using cloak. A life stealing "blood magic" esque caster has nothing to do with stealth.

The sets you have listed are all good options. Personally heavy julianos + trans skoria and WR + trans skoria are my top 2 pics.

• Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's my take. Imo stealth is bar none the best defense this game has to offer. The next being pure speed; it is true Magicka nightblades excel at both.. In a duelling setting one might argue neither are very important. But for a mage blade to forego both stealth and speed seems against its nature. I notice you are running skoria but not cripple, for example. So while perfectly viable without cloak I would focus on being in control of the fight via hard cc, debuffing and selfbuffing, constantly pilfering health from the opponent -- these being your layers of defense even over whatever armor you decide to wear -- and last but not least developing a handful of kill combos.

For duels I would try Amber/Shackle(in heavy?) /1pc monster/ice staff. You can dang near perma freeze an opponent with reach and cripple and fear all together. Then they eat all your fully buffed attacks.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imo, necro is hard to pass in a 1v1 for no cloak builds. With the defile+befoul meta running rampant and the fact that it increases your harness shield it gives you an extra window for your native healing to top you off.

With cloak you can manage the heal debuffs without a second shield or heavy armor. Without cloak I think you need one or the other.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on November 28, 2017 8:01PM
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see all of you kinda leaning towards heavy armor, im just not sure about this though. The passives just seem so weak for a little hp and resist, I feel I would forfeit much of my dps. But its worth a try I guess.

@Lexxypwns I do have a necro set I ran for a while, but shade is still bugged right? Idk I haven't tried since new patch. But that skill was always one of my favorite. I do really enjoy the trans/ reposte build, I feel alot more tanky but the damage just isn't the same compared to the other sets I use it when I'm running in always group in cyro mainly.

@exeeter702 yeah I know I dont have cripple on a bar atm and it disappoints me also. I just don't know what to drop for it besides elemental drain. But there goes my major breech and a big chuck of mag sustain... it's always the give and take and 1 slot short with builds I've found lol
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did do a dueling event last night, had some good battles with hard fought wins and losses. Some of those guys though would just blow me the hell up. Just eat through my shields and stam from trying to block their unrelenting assault. Had a magsorc blow me up in about two seconds hit harness mag, blocked then I just crumble... just shows me I have alot to learn.
  • SlowMetabolism
    SlowMetabolism
    ✭✭✭
    I see all of you kinda leaning towards heavy armor, im just not sure about this though. The passives just seem so weak for a little hp and resist, I feel I would forfeit much of my dps. But its worth a try I guess.

@Lexxypwns I do have a necro set I ran for a while, but shade is still bugged right? Idk I haven't tried since new patch. But that skill was always one of my favorite. I do really enjoy the trans/ reposte build, I feel alot more tanky but the damage just isn't the same compared to the other sets I use it when I'm running in always group in cyro mainly.

@exeeter702 yeah I know I dont have cripple on a bar atm and it disappoints me also. I just don't know what to drop for it besides elemental drain. But there goes my major breech and a big chuck of mag sustain... it's always the give and take and 1 slot short with builds I've found lol

Cripple is a must have, huge dot and spammable root (if you want to be that guy) + gives you movement speed and snares. Allows you to slow down stam builds or make them spam there shuffle which takes a toll on their rss sustain. Roots mag builds and allows you to run circles around them and apply constant pressure.
    Day one Xbox player
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Cripple is a must have, huge dot and spammable root (if you want to be that guy) + gives you movement speed and snares. Allows you to slow down stam builds or make them spam there shuffle which takes a toll on their rss sustain. Roots mag builds and allows you to run circles around them and apply constant pressure.

Yeah, cripple is needed for ranged mageblade for sure, it helps give you all sorts of small windows to relieve pressure while also adding to your own pressure.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I could always drop mirage for cripple, more dps and a cc at the cost of evasion. Idk lol I always just want 1 more skill slot with magblade. I could even drop degeneration and just use sp pots but I already use cc pots so then I have no cc break.

Fml
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess I could always drop mirage for cripple, more dps and a cc at the cost of evasion. Idk lol I always just want 1 more skill slot with magblade. I could even drop degeneration and just use sp pots but I already use cc pots so then I have no cc break.

Fml

Enter rattlecage front bar trans back bar 2pc skoria.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use cloak more for the guaranteed crit on my magblade. Nothing like fearing, hitting cloak and dropping a meteor.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »

Fml

I tried rattlecage and wasn't toO happy, I have to run it as 5 heavy which I'm trying to avoid because I feel the light passives are so much better. If it went jewelry then I have hp rings which really hurt my mag pool
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »

Fml

I tried rattlecage and wasn't toO happy, I have to run it as 5 heavy which I'm trying to avoid because I feel the light passives are so much better. If it went jewelry then I have hp rings which really hurt my mag pool

Rattlecage has all arcane accessories via unique drops.
    Edited by exeeter702 on November 30, 2017 7:30PM