Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Starting from scratch (PS4), need suggestions!

rikimm16_ESO
rikimm16_ESO
✭✭✭
Hey guys, I’m thinking about taking advantage of the Black Friday deal and buy ESO for PS4. I played the PC beta and the PC version for a few, right before Tamriel Unlimited and had about 200ish CP. So I would be starting from scratch.

Please help me figure this out to get started. I used to consider myself a PvP person but now I like to PvE just as much and would like to select an appropriate class that could be consider noob friendly and powerful since I forgot most of the mechanics and will have 0 CP (that could do PvP and PvE just as good).

1- how important are the CPs for PvEing? Will groups invite me if I don’t have any CPs? What can I do to to get competitive quickly if this is not the case?
2- how’s the population in PS4? Is it worth it to invest time, money and energy on this server (PS4 NA)? I wouldn’t buy if the server is considered “dead”.
3- I used to have all 4 classes before quitting, but now I would only have the time to focus in only one. Across all 5 classes, which one would you recommend?hopefully one that is considered above average for PvP as well as PvE.

Any other advice is welcome!

Thanks!
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well then, welcome (back) to the game! :)

I personally found the most "noob friendly" class to be Magicka Nightblade. You have great self-healing AoE and single-target damage skills and your execute, and you get your light armor shield. Especially when starting a new char, you quickly get the Tri-Focus passive that lets you do AoE damage with a lightning staff for zero magicka cost (actually you restore magicka).

You start out without CP, no matter what. But having a strong character is only one side of the medal. Knowing your class and skills, i.e. playing skill, is the other. So once you get re-acquainted with that, you're good to go for Normal dungeons. You can start with that as soon as you get your second weapon bar at level 15 I'd say.

Otherwise, please elaborate "competitive". :)

Sorry, I only play on PC, so can't say anything about that.

What role do you intend to play in PVE? For healer and tank, there's some combos that are better suited for the task than others. E.g. Imperial or Argonian DK for tank, Breton or Argonian Templar for healer. Wardens make good off-tanks or secondary healers in trials too.

For DD, no class is really "considered above average" compared to other classes. Maybe except for the Warden which is a bit sub-par. But a good player can do (equally) decent damage with any class/resource combination. It's more about finding your preferred playing style.

Do you prefer melee or ranged? Do you rather prefer to avoid damage by blocking and roll-dodging around, or mitigate damage through shields? Questions like that determine the recommended class.
    Edited by Loc2262 on November 25, 2017 1:13AM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • rikimm16_ESO
    rikimm16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. By competitive I really meant attractive to groups... once I’m Max level with 0 cp what can I do to be more appealing to groups looking for more.

Regarding the role for PvE groups, I don’t mind if I’m healing, tanking or just dps although I would say my preference is dps > tank > heal. Since I think it’s easier to dps than it is to heal... I’m a bit lazy.

For PvP, I really get annoyed by people strafing/dancing around me while I try to face him to dps. They usually have better reaction time than me. So maybe a class that can CC, have good defense or get some distance quick.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, you'll never be "max level with 0 CP", because you get 10 CP for free once your first character reaches level 50. ;) Also you get maximum enlightenment, thus your first roughly 100 CP are earned very quickly.

To be "appealing" to groups, you primarily should be able to fulfill your role to a point that the dungeon run is smooth. Not necessarily turbo-fast, or immediately with speedrun, nodeath, hardmode, all that stuff, but smooth.

I.e. tank should taunt, survive, chain and CC adds, buff the group as good as possible. Healer should keep themselves and the group alive and buff as good as possible. DD should do decent damage and how to survive things the healer cannot compensate for. And everyone should know mechanics, so familiarize yourself with them on normal level before going vet. That's especially true for DLC dungeons.

To give you an example what makes you unattractive to groups: Just the other day as a DD I got into a group for vet Wayrest Sewers 1 (which was pledge that day). The healer had 15k health and got one-shot all the time by the simplest random boss attacks. Tank lost aggro repeatedly, and was unable to survive for more than 10 seconds without the healer. The second DD, even though they had 800+CP, must have had less than 10k DPS, since I did 70+% of the group's damage. You might want to avoid going into vet dungeons when you play like that. ;) Take your time and train properly in normal dungeons.
    Edited by Loc2262 on November 25, 2017 12:11PM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • rikimm16_ESO
    rikimm16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think warden is a good choice to start? All classes can perform all roles, but do you know in what the warden shines?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think warden is a good choice to start? All classes can perform all roles, but do you know in what the warden shines?

Wardens are good in all roles except PvE DPS ... tank, heals, and PvP they are fine.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes they're supposed to be really good in PvP, due to being "allrounders". I don't do PvP myself, so can't personally confirm that. They're indeed good for PvE tanks and healers. There's ongoing debate whether they're as good DKs/templars for solo tank/healer, but they're certainly good as supporting tanks / in combination with a templar healer.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • rikimm16_ESO
    rikimm16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm since this will probably be my only character, I would like a class that could be above average in all 3 PvE roles and be above average in PvP.
    Maybe the warden is not THE class for me. Btw, I bought the ps4 version last night... a bit overwhelmed with all there is to do.
  • rikimm16_ESO
    rikimm16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Also, what makes Warden so good in PvP but not so much in PvE dps?
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd strongly suggest to not try and put everything into one character. You'll end up with a char that does everything, but nothing really good.

Especially for DD, heal and tank you definitely should make multiple characters, otherwise you'll end up respeccing all over the place to switch roles (if you want to be above average). You need to set your attributes and CPs differently for the three roles.

Wardens are good in PvP because there you HAVE to be good at all roles. You need to be tanky so you don't die after two hits, can heal well because you need to rely on yourself in many occasions, and still do decent damage.

Wardens, especially magicka, currently lack the skills though to be good PvE DDs. Note that Zenimax can't make the Warden the "overall perfect class", otherwise it'd be serious pay-to-win, since it's a class you only get if you buy the Morrowind chapter.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • rikimm16_ESO
    rikimm16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Update:
    I rolled a DC Redguard Stamden, inspired by Kodi... Got him to lvl 34ish and off I went to PvP. I quickly realized I have no where the reflects/skills that kodi has. I sucked big time.

Decided to roll a DC Breton Magblade. Fun to play, more dps, quick getaways but found out that in no CP campaign I didn’t have the burst to kill other players and the overall PvP dps was a bit low IMO.

Rolled an AD Altmer MagSorc. Just dinged 14ish last night and still trying to get the class shield before trying no-CP PvP. Hopefully this will be the one. Going with a pet build... maybe I can kite while my pets slowly kill the target.

Lame and cowardly? Probably, but what Can I say? I have no PvP skill even thou I love it!