The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Questions from a Newbie

WoW_Refugee
WoW_Refugee
✭✭
I've heard good things about the game and it's on sale right now, so I bought the Morrowind Digital Collector's Edition for PC. I have some questions:

1. Do I now have everything that the other editions contain? In other words, is there any benefit to me also buying the Gold Edition while it's on sale, or would that be redundant?

2. When I created a character, I don't recall being given a choice of servers other than NA or EU. Does that mean there are only two servers?

3. How solo-friendly is this game?

4. I've heard there are three factions, each of which has its own origin area, plus a dedicated PVP area. When players from different factions meet outside the designated PVP area, can they fight if they both want to fight? Conversely, if one of them doesn't want to fight, can the other successfully engage in harassment such as killing quest-givers, etc.?

5. In what ways, if any, can members of different factions interact (e.g., talking face-to-face, sending tells, sending mail, trading)?

6. Does this game focus more on the end-game experience or the leveling experience?

7. I've heard that instead of a global auction house there are numerous guild markets. How many of these markets are there and how spread out are they?

8. I understand one has to be a member of the guild to sell something through those markets. Does one also have to be a member of the guild to BUY something through these markets?

9. I've heard there's no cosmetic system of any kind. Does that mean everybody at a certain level looks pretty similar?

10. Is there anything else I should know before I decide whether to invest time and additional money in this game?
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've heard good things about the game and it's on sale right now, so I bought the Morrowind Digital Collector's Edition for PC. I have some questions:

1. Do I now have everything that the other editions contain? In other words, is there any benefit to me also buying the Gold Edition while it's on sale, or would that be redundant?

2. When I created a character, I don't recall being given a choice of servers other than NA or EU. Does that mean there are only two servers?

3. How solo-friendly is this game?

4. I've heard there are three factions, each of which has its own origin area, plus a dedicated PVP area. When players from different factions meet outside the designated PVP area, can they fight if they both want to fight? Conversely, if one of them doesn't want to fight, can the other successfully engage in harassment such as killing quest-givers, etc.?

5. In what ways, if any, can members of different factions interact (e.g., talking face-to-face, sending tells, sending mail, trading)?

6. Does this game focus more on the end-game experience or the leveling experience?

7. I've heard that instead of a global auction house there are numerous guild markets. How many of these markets are there and how spread out are they?

8. I understand one has to be a member of the guild to sell something through those markets. Does one also have to be a member of the guild to BUY something through these markets?

9. I've heard there's no cosmetic system of any kind. Does that mean everybody at a certain level looks pretty similar?

10. Is there anything else I should know before I decide whether to invest time and additional money in this game?

1. I can't answer.
    2. That is correct.
    3. It's quite solo-friendly. Group dungeons and trials are the main content that are oriented around required grouping. World bosses are tough for a lot of people to solo but are readily taken down by a modest number of not particularly coordinated players.
    4. You can duel anyone who agrees in the PvE areas, regardless of what alliance their character belongs to. There's not a lot of harassment possible other than emote/chat spam and mudballs or other visual effects.
    5. Alliance doesn't really make any difference other than in AvA (the major dedicated PvP area).
    6. Hard to answer.
    7. I don't know the exact number, a few hundred I think I've seen? There are clusters in the major cities all over the map, and some other ones that are more widely scattered (small cities, various crossroads, etc).
    8. If a guild has a trader in the open world, then anyone who can get to that trader can buy from it. Getting a trader requires a successful weekly bid though, which is larger in the busier marketplaces and cheaper in remote traders. If a guild doesn't have a trader but still has enough members to qualify, then only guild members can buy from that store.
    9. There's a lot of cosmetic items - costumes, hair/makeup/tattoos, armor can be dyed different colors. A lot of this stuff is in the crown store.
    10. That's a bit too open ended to be very answerable without knowing you.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quoting @WoW_Refugee without quotes. :) Questions in italics, my comments in normal.

When I created a character, I don't recall being given a choice of servers other than NA or EU. Does that mean there are only two servers?

There's six servers altogether, NA and EU for PC, XBox and PS4. So yes, only two for PC. You choose which server to play on in the game launcher. Characters only exist on the respective server and are not linked/copied.

How solo-friendly is this game?

It is very solo friendly. There's certainly more solo content, as in exploration, questing and achievements, than group content. Quests and story are very good too.

I've heard there are three factions, each of which has its own origin area, plus a dedicated PVP area. When players from different factions meet outside the designated PVP area, can they fight if they both want to fight? Conversely, if one of them doesn't want to fight, can the other successfully engage in harassment such as killing quest-givers, etc.?

Outside Cyrodiil, you can fight other players by initiating a "duel". That only lasts though until one is dead, and has to be re-initiated afterwards. Quest givers, merchants and other relevant NPCs cannot be killed. There's not much you can do to other players outside of duels, except for maybe hitting them with mudballs or kamikaze crows (which doesn't do any damage). Or stealing grabbing resources nodes before they can. :)

In what ways, if any, can members of different factions interact (e.g., talking face-to-face, sending tells, sending mail, trading)?

Since One Tamriel, faction separation is basically non-existent outside of Cyrodiil. You can freely travel to any faction zone and interact with players of any faction.

Does this game focus more on the end-game experience or the leveling experience?

While playing your first character, it's more about leveling up. That happens automatically while you do your quests and exploration. Once you reach champion level with one character, and especially once you reach the CP cap, it's more of a horizontal development system though. Levels don't play that much of a role anymore. You go through the phase of (quickly) leveling up new chars to 50 so you can use them in end game. Progress comes from getting and upgrading gear and practicing your skills, timing and rotation.

I've heard that instead of a global auction house there are numerous guild markets. How many of these markets are there and how spread out are they?

Oh there's lots. Like 10 in each major city.

I understand one has to be a member of the guild to sell something through those markets. Does one also have to be a member of the guild to BUY something through these markets?

No, you can walk up to a guild trader, which has been hired by a specific guild, and buy stuff from them without having to be in that guild.

I've heard there's no cosmetic system of any kind. Does that mean everybody at a certain level looks pretty similar?

Absolutely not. There's tons and tons of options to combine each gear piece (head, shoulder, hands, chest, pants, shoes, belt) in heavy, medium and light, in dozens of styles, and you can dye (color) them in dozens of colors. Facial and body customization during character creation (or re-design using crown store tokens) is also quite extensive. In addition there's cosmetic items like costumes, skins, hats, facial/skin markings etc. It rarely happens that I meet a character that look similar to mine. :)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't buy the gold edition as that would be a second account. You can either buy the DLC with crowns or get the ESO+ subscription. Orsinium which is the best if the DLCs is still on sale I think. I think they still have a bundle for four of the DLCs.

A one month subscription to ESO+ can be a great way to try out the DLCs.
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re 1: It depends whether you are going to subscribe or not; to have access to all DLC's you need to buy them in game or pay a subscription (ESO+). So, there are three possibilities, if you want full package:
    1. buy the Morrowind Digital Collector's Edition and pay a monthly sub, which gives you nice bonuses and acces to all DLC's;
    2. buy the Morrowind Digital Collector's Edition and then all the DLC's separately in game, without subbing (pricey);
    3. buy the Gold Edition and the the Morrowind Digital Collector's UPGRADE, what gives you all main DLC's except two "dungeon" expansions (which can be bought separately in game), without need to subscribe.
    The first option is best if you want to play regularly and have all benefits in game; second is good if you want to try the game first and later decide if you want to invest more; third option is best, if you don't plan to play regularly or don't want to sub, but want to have full package.

Edit: As you already bought the Morrowind DCE: if you like the game and want to have all DLC's, I would consider buying this: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/crownstore/item/723?guilds-and-glory-the-4dlc-megapack, or subscribing https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/esoplus
    Edited by Streega on November 23, 2017 8:10PM
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's super solo-friendly. Most of what I do is solo, except on a rare occasion.

• JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    It's super solo-friendly. Most of what I do is solo, except on a rare occasion.

Agreed. Also if on PC NA check out Lone Wolf Help guild. They are extremely helpful when us solo'ers need advice or help with harder boss fights, etc.
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to point out, if you subscribe, ESO+ also includes 1500 free crowns per month so in the end you can sub for a few months and buy any DLC you want with your free crowns and cut subscription at that point, and you'll keep any DLCs you bought.

I'd suggest to do that, and in the meanwhile you have access to all DLCs and the craftbag that would help immensely with inventory management at the start.

Good luck and welcome!
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6. I don’t think of ESO as having classic and distinct “leveling” and “end game” content any more. While more content becomes doable as you level and then earn champion points (vet dungeons, vet trials, etc), 95% of the content can be done just as well at level 3 as vet cp690. In other words, you can play most anything in any order you like. If you skip a quest in a low level zone, you can come back later and it won’t be ridiculously underlevel. Or leap ahead, amd you won’t necessarily get wrecked.

7. And 8. The guild system is a bit complex, let me cover the basics. You may join up to five guilds, and there are benefits to belonging. One is that you can access the store of any guild you belong to at any NPC banker in the world. Tip...another benefit is that you can travel to any online guildie’s location. Go to social...guilds....roster, amd anyone with a green icon is online. Select them and then “travel to player.” They won’t even know you’re doing it...the game will send you to the nearest wayshrine. This is a good way to unlock areas.

As far as guild stores for guilds you don’t belong to, there are also guild Trader spots located all over, usually in cities and towns. The largest cities will usually have 5-7 traders. The way these work is that guilds bid on them once per week in order to win the slot for the week. Any player can access these guild stores at any time. Just wander up to the Trader and their scroll over will show the name of the guild currently renting the spot. You don’t really need to know much about how this system works...just know that for the most part the best traders are in wayrest, mounrhold, Elden root and rawlkha. These are the first places to go when you keep something.

9. As far as cosmetics, you can customize armor, obtain costumes, hats, and many other cosmetic items. A lot are sold for crowns, but there are plenty earned via achievements too.

10. There are probsbly ten thousand things to learn. If you need a broad guild for anything, ESO Academy is a good resource. Or for specific questions, these forums are great.

Welcome to the game!
  • WoW_Refugee
    WoW_Refugee
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for your answers as well as the warm welcome to the game. :smile:
  • yoco007
    yoco007
    Hey! I hope you don't mind me "borrowing" your topic. :)
    I'm lvl 50, 100 cp, and I'm wondering how do I gear up now? Do I have to craft it, do group things? If so which one? Can I start with Veteran dungeons with my "pleb" setup? I still have to do Coldharbour main story. I'm currently focusing on other regions for now.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even at 100 CP I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting gear, as you will still be outleveling it significantly. CP160 is the top level for gear; once you're there then it's worth putting in a longer term effort. Along the way - crafting is possible especially if you have the materials and access to someone else who has already put in the time, otherwise I'd just use what makes sense out of what drops. If you're adventuring primarily in one zone, then it can be worthwhile to focus on getting enough of one of the sets from that zone to get a 5 piece bonus (assuming that one of those sets makes sense for you). Dungeons - some vet dungeons might be trickier, and again it'll be hard to get a full set (and the main advantage of vet dungeons is that stuff drops in purple quality mainly, especially the jewelry which can't be improved). You can get a fair amount of body pieces if you're combining it that way.
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @yoco007, as @kringled_1 said... do not bother too much with gear at this point. Focus on getting those last 60 CPs to get to the cap and then after that you can start thinking in getting your definitive gear.

In the meanwhile, you can get someone to craft you a generic set so your gear is not too much under-leveled for you, or simply grab any drops you receive while questing... overworld content is balanced such way that you don't need a full build to complete it.

You can do zone's dolmens for updating your jewelry and then use quest rewards and/or kill delve/public dungeon bosses for getting the other set pieces you need.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>