The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ground aoe Abilities expire before their duration ends

makreth
makreth
✭✭✭✭✭
Why does this happen? When I cast a ground ability and I also have a target if that target dies then the ground aoe expires even if the duration hasn't. Huh? It doesn't make sense. Is this intented? I noticed this 3months ago and just had to ask this now that I came back.
Edited by makreth on October 29, 2017 9:51AM
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your target already died why do you need the effect to last for more. You cast the ability to kill enemy and once its killed the job's done :).
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    But what if it’s a large trash pull in a dungeon? The tank taunts in the mobiles you drop caltrops as well as other aoe’s the mobiles die as the tank chains in the ranged archers and mages but your ground effects are gone so you have to reapply
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who skills does this affect, can not think of any ground based aoe who does.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Kaliki
    Kaliki
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been aware of this for a long time too and can’t say I like it.
    It also happens at dolmens where your initial target dies and all ground based effects just disappear even though new enemies have spawned or would have spawnen while the effect is still active.
    - Templars: Slower by Design® -
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep I know what you mean. Very annoying feature. It makes things tricky especially with Ults.

Not fun to cast a Destro Ult or DK Standard, only for it to disappear 2 seconds later just so that next wave of adds can rush you immediately after :unamused:
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭
    It affects wall of elements, but doesn't seem to affect eg. caltrops. There are times when it's annoying.

One example is steam pipes in dwarven ruins/delves. You cast it, first mob dies, wall of elements disappears, another pops out you have to recast.

On the other hand I don't recall it ever happening in places like vMA but I've seen it happening in dungeons.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It happens for me specfically on the steam pipes that spawn multiple dwarven spiders. I lay it down to kill the first couple then it goes away before the next bunch spawn.
  • makreth
    makreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    Yep I know what you mean. Very annoying feature. It makes things tricky especially with Ults.

Not fun to cast a Destro Ult or DK Standard, only for it to disappear 2 seconds later just so that next wave of adds can rush you immediately after :unamused:

I know right.... it seems to happen when there is no other enemies at present i.e. the last one died. But this is the issue. What happens when you have enemies aroudn that spawn every 2 seconds for example? Why should I be casting the ground aoe again and again... A person above gave dolmen as a good example this happens. It's one of those situations.

Caltrops also disappear. All of the ground abilities behave similarly. Even ultimate abilities. Battle standard, Destro ulti anything!
    Edited by makreth on October 29, 2017 10:58AM
  • ashl3y44
    ashl3y44
    ✭✭
    Yes this is very annoying with the standard in a trial. You drop it for an add pull and it dissapears before you even used it.
    660 High elf mag sorc, Argonian templar healer, & Dark elf mag Dk.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I am not sure when it began but it is a fairly recent change. Like within the last month or so.

As soon as you go out of combat, all your effects cast when you were in combat disappear.
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swarming "NPC's" in delves etc, cast wall of elements and once the first 2 npc's die (1-2 seconds) wall of elements disappears then more enemies spawn. Not the hardest trash in the game but I'd like the full duration on my abilities (and those archers who get rooted but are still able to Moonwalk™ at high speed to range).
  • DeathHouseInc
    DeathHouseInc
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed this is garbage.
  • makreth
    makreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like an official statement on this issue if it's possible. Is it even acknowledged? Is this intented? Is there a reason for happening?

@ZOS_GinaBruno - Not calling you to pressure. But you're doing a great job around here :)

Thanks
    Edited by makreth on October 29, 2017 4:19PM
  • getemshauna
    getemshauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it happens to my destro ult I'm always wondering what's the point of this idiotic feature xD
    Founder of Call of the Undaunted
    Youtube Channel
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it may be intended so that you can exit combat quickly after the last mob dies. And yes, I really don't want to wait 10s to get out of combat because I dropped LL just as the last mob was about to expire. But just as with everyone else, it also really annoys me with those respawning mob nodes! I wish they could fix those skills so they would work "properly" in both cases.
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    This was like that for like a year - zos just don't care. So adapt - use impulse for trash or something like this.

-vovus
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vovus69 wrote: »
    This was like that for like a year - zos just don't care. So adapt - use impulse for trash or something like this.

-vovus

What? You mean I SHOULDN'T spam my ground target dot?
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • makreth
    makreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    smacx250 wrote: »
    I think it may be intended so that you can exit combat quickly after the last mob dies. And yes, I really don't want to wait 10s to get out of combat because I dropped LL just as the last mob was about to expire. But just as with everyone else, it also really annoys me with those respawning mob nodes! I wish they could fix those skills so they would work "properly" in both cases.

If the mob dies and there is nothing left to be hit by your ground AOE then you will get out of combat. There's no difference. If by any chance you want to get out of combat and your AOE is your problem then you have the benefit of calculating the duration an AOE takes, it's in your hands.

This system with the AOEs expiring is just wrong. Hands down.
    vovus69 wrote: »

-vovus

lol We are talking about broken effects, a bug. Something that needs to be fixed. When an ability description says the duration is 10 seconds I expect it to last 10 seconds and not 3. It costs resources.

If I cast my ground AOE on the ground out of combat it will last for the whole duration. So is it so difficult to fix this?
    Edited by makreth on November 1, 2017 11:54PM