The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

DPS Que As Tanks

• Bryong9ub17_ESO
    Bryong9ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    In a normal dungeon i wouldn't care, but i don't do normal dungeons.

Vet dungeons i vote kick immediately, I'm done giving chances.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the ideal tank? I'm a bit new to dungeons etc... and I'm not generally a fan of queuing because I have had the worst luck with useless players... sorry to say... So I don't tend to do dungeons because of this... a little lonely and sad on ESO lol.

If you want a good idea of what experienced tanks are advising players new to tanking to do, check out this thread: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/377221/tanking-university

Otherwise, I'm going to repeat my usual statement:
    Here's the basics (applicable for normal and veteran dungeons)
    The basic job of a tank is to taunt the boss, hold boss aggro, and don't die. If you can do that, you are a tank.
    A good tank taunts the boss, holds, boss aggro, doesn't die, holds the boss more or less still, debuffs the boss, buffs the group, and provides crowd control.
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im a dedicated tank in all mmo ive played. A tank is important in runs these days especially with dps that are strong. The resson is add management and controlled pulls fast that allow the dps to burn baby burn. Having a tank in these situations helps speed the run. Also in boss fights that are harder its a breeze.

Dont discount that some of us put serious effort in setups to do our roles
  • onemoxygirl
    What is the ideal tank? I'm a bit new to dungeons etc... and I'm not generally a fan of queuing because I have had the worst luck with useless players... sorry to say... So I don't tend to do dungeons because of this... a little lonely and sad on ESO lol.

If you want a good idea of what experienced tanks are advising players new to tanking to do, check out this thread: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/377221/tanking-university

Otherwise, I'm going to repeat my usual statement:
    Here's the basics (applicable for normal and veteran dungeons)
    The basic job of a tank is to taunt the boss, hold boss aggro, and don't die. If you can do that, you are a tank.
    A good tank taunts the boss, holds, boss aggro, doesn't die, holds the boss more or less still, debuffs the boss, buffs the group, and provides crowd control.

Thanks for the info... I guess it also depends on how people like to play as well. Personally I have to have heavy armor and inflict as much damage as possible as fast as possible... but the health number is important too. So what about class and race? What role would a Nord Templar be best for? I figured healing, but it seems a toss up between all things considered... does the race or class make a huge difference? I've not played many different classes or races. All I know is if I don't play a Nord Templar I die too fast and can't inflict much damage or heal myself which is huge. I"m rambling now :blush:
    Thanks again!
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a pocket tank and healer. I don't need to queue as a "fake" tank to get a group. It's called having "friends".
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever since these threads started coming up, I've seen an increased influx of DDs queing as tanks :neutral:

When I saw that our 'tank' had 11k health I commented and asked if he can really tank the dungeon, the guy was decent enough to leave group, we que again and again another 14k DD posing as tank, asked the same question again and got the reply that he does it all the time...I told that it's good and they can enjoy their run, I left the group asked in guild chat and ran with a regular team to finish my dungeons for the day.

Moral of the story...Don't use PUGs, it will only waste your time, take the effort to join a good guild and enjoy the game.
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever since these threads started coming up, i deliberately stop playing my 60k+ health tank characters, and only queue as tank with my 17k health stamsorc.
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    akl77 wrote: »
    All I can say is blame it on ZOS, bad and long dps queue, plus no tutorial on what’s tank job and how to tank.
    So noobs and dps have no choices.
    It’s ZOS that’s trolling us.

Ah, no! If people choose to beat the queue by falsely presenting themselves as tanks that isn't ZOS's fault
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know what's really bad?
    A tank who forget to select his role and the healer is who dictated to healing.
    It's get really bad when he taunts and runs around so the ground aoe of the single dps are wasted too.

You will feel asleep during the dungeon.
  • Argah
    Argah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just had the misfortune of a real tank in normal dungeon, two dps under level 30 me at 34 half healing half dps a max level tank standing blocking...

Took about 45 minutes to complete, absolute joke bosses taking 5-10 minutes to burn down, why the tank needs to do that crap in normal dungeon is beyond me.
    Edited by Argah on October 28, 2017 12:33PM
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have low levels in group with the new dungeon system you don't need tank at all when someone is under level 45 and atleast 1 DD is decent. People who know what to do, what skills to use in tough situations can do normal even without healer. I did WGT, ICP with level 10 people and maybe someone was around 30. You never know maybe they have CP and very experienced. It's all about experience and skills.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you aren't a Tank or Healer then don't que as one. If you don't want to wait for the queue then do runs with friends/guildies or just solo them since they are so "easy" etc. I know many dungeons are easy especially in Normal. That isn't the point. Don't queue for something you aren't.

I've left several dungeons when the Tank wasn't a Tank but was a DPS. Random Vet dungeon....we get sent to White Gold Tower. Hmm...Tank? Nope. He was a Mag Sorc with 16K DPS. When we asked if he was a Tank he said yep. Uh huh. He died instantly at the first boss. Group disbanded.

Same thing has happened several times. Healer too. I've seen fake Healers kicked out of group quite a few times in COS, Bloodroot Forge, etc. You guys doing this Fake Tank/Fake Healer thing are wasting the time of others when this happens.

• BlanketFort
    BlanketFort
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, it is not a great experience.
    DD queues are long so I went and rolled a healer so I can farm dungeons faster.

What I usually do when pugging the random queue on the healer and a fake tank pops up:

I wait on first few trash pulls to see if this fake tank is good enough to skip the queue.
    -If he keeps aggro on most mobs, stacks them up nicely and doesn't die, then okay.
    -no aggro, adds are scattered all over the place, dies to an add's sneeze, not okay.

If the fake tank can fulfill the role, then all is good and well. At least he respects the tank's role and what value a tank brings (namely, less chaos) to a group.

If he can't, then I completely withdraw heals on the first boss and watch as the chaos unfolds. Boss aggroes on DDs and is being kited out of AoEs, people are being one-shotted and drained out of resources, bodies dropping left and right... oh what a glorious day!
    Fake tank starts complaining about heals. I tell him the irony and hypocrisy of him skipping the queue and being reliant on being grouped with an actual healer to heal him through it.

Then I leave group because I never get the crown in random PUGs and can't vote kick. Could we have finished the dungeon? Yeah of course! But all it says to these players is that we are all okay with it and that this is acceptable. It's not.

I grab a nice cup of coffee and have a smoke, waiting for the 15 min penalty to end. Rinse and repeat.

Want your fast run in dungeons with 4 DDs? Then do the dungeon finder a favour and do it with your pre-made groups!
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then I leave group because I never get the crown in random PUGs and can't vote kick.

just to let you know you can still start a vote to kick a player you don't need a crown , even with it you can vote only to kick a player in PUG, however if you make you own group outside and then port in the dungeon and you wish to kick somebody then if you have a crown you can without voting and you can also disband the group.
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."