Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PVP is not easy

• CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nahtal wrote: »
    Like to play PVP but always as healer (not good with tank and DPS) trying to play with it, but suck at it. Main story now playing with Warden class (also as healer) still think this class can be improved. Seems also in dungeons with warden class healing feels like buggy (any experience that?)

They tell warden class is not good when want play PVP with it. Any thoughts on that?

"Like to play PVP but always as healer (not good with tank and DPS)" ... I personally think in PVP roles cannot be put in to tank, healer, DPS category.

You sort of need to think out side of the usual play style framework. And the roles will change depending on how many ppl are in your team.

For example.. if you are solo than you are tank, dps, and healer. If you are in duo then you become more more dps, less healer and less tank.

THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • Krayzie
    Krayzie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CavalryPK wrote: »
    Like to play PVP but always as healer (not good with tank and DPS) trying to play with it, but suck at it. Main story now playing with Warden class (also as healer) still think this class can be improved. Seems also in dungeons with warden class healing feels like buggy (any experience that?)

They tell warden class is not good when want play PVP with it. Any thoughts on that?

"Like to play PVP but always as healer (not good with tank and DPS)" ... I personally think in PVP roles cannot be put in to tank, healer, DPS category.

You sort of need to think out side of the usual play style framework. And the roles will change depending on how many ppl are in your team.

For example.. if you are solo than you are tank, dps, and healer. If you are in duo then you become more more dps, less healer and less tank.

I'd absolutely never go full healer lmao, what if you're caught alone without your zerg.
    Krayzie wrote: »
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    What is even winning in PVP?
    Killing other players?
    Getting AP?

Honestly I enjoy PVP on a higher level than the actual fighting. Zergs crashing into each other, 2 shot ganks and lag of both the network and FPS varities makes actual combat a mess.

It isn't about living or dying or killing, its about pulling the enemy around to gave advantages to your team on the otherside of the map. I mean you have to hope your efforts work, you can't really know unless you start seeing keeps lighting up.

Zergs have this kind of predicability to them due to the nature of large numbers of people you can exploit, you can waste there time you can pull them away from where they should be.

You and your three buddies take a bunch of resources and they send 12 people to stop you... you win.. even if they kill you all.. They used 12 on your 4.

There's an end of campaign reward and a scoring system and 1st through 3rd place..... Have you ever been to Cyrodiil? I assume you can grasp in BGs that there's always a winning team.

Sometimes its not about "winning" or "losing". My team might die miserably to a full raid on Aleswell, but if we pulled a group of defenders from somewhere else on the map that our faction then captured, we'll count that as a win for the faction and a win for us. What?! We lost, we died miserably! BUT, we accomplished our grander goal.

That's part of the strategy of Cyrodiil, where your individual deaths or victories mean something beyond your individual efforts and start to count for the faction and for your teammates in the faction.

We can count winning as being the emperor and being on the leaderboards, but not everyone wants to be that kind of winner. Some people prefer to play the map and play for the faction, and so when the faction wins, we all win, even if our small part in that faction push was a death that enabled a victory.

To repeat the example given by Narvuntien, if your small force pulls away the larger forces of the enemy to a place you want and where they are not at a more important location, your force won in terms of strategy and accomplishing your goal, even if you wipe to a man. That's not necessarily going to get you on the leaderboards or the emperorship or even a reputation as a good 1v1/small group PVPer. It does mean that you are effective at supporting your faction, your faction's players, and that is a long-term, sustained effort sort of winning that may not win every battle, but it does win campaigns.

Long story short, there's lots of ways to win at PVP. Some of them are individual, others are about the faction, and some of them turn what looks like a "loss" into a strategic victory.

That's cool, I was just making sure that guy understood that there is a purpose to winning a campaign and there are rewards as well as the satisfaction of killing other players with your honed skills.

What you said is cool, just unrelated to the point I was making.

You can win however you personally feel like winning is in Cyrodiil, I could win if winning to me was riding from one faction gate to another.

Was just making sure that there's a clear winning a campaign and not winning a campaign. But yea, if whatever you said makes you feel like you won, more power to you, but there's always a clear 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
    Edited by Krayzie on October 26, 2017 5:08PM
    I'm a PVE roleplayer concerned about my vampires stage 4 skin tone and keep getting load screens so I came here to distract people from major issues with a rant thread about my characters cosmetic appearance.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    CavalryPK wrote: »

This guy knows things.

The only reason the MMO trinity comes into play in PVP is if you have a seasoned enough group who can all work in synergy with each other. Easy enough in a 4 man dungeon but REALLY hard in the middle of 57 people spamming Jesus Beams.

For the other 99.9999% of people if you cannot, at the drop of a hat, achieve a B minus level of competence at healing, tanking or DPSing you’re gonna have trouble. If you want to go solo better be at least a B plus at them. If you’re riding solo into Cyrodiil as an A+ tank, DPS or healer you’re probably gonna be more of a hinderance to your side than helpful in most battles.
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanzen wrote: »
    Get a NB

Ambush/Surprise attack/Incapacitaing strike/Fear/Execute

Cloak if failed

Rinse and repeat

Think you r a skilled player

Ruin pvp

Lmao forgot come to the forums and say ur playstyle takes the most skill
    @FloppyTouch
    I Challenge u to do vmsa on a stblade then on a sorc then tell me whats easier. Yeh PvP is easy on stbl but it can be hellisch im pve endgame. We have to have a easy Time someshere. And btw sorc Rotation= crushing shock spamm till frag procs , mages wrath x3(warning you a ult is incoming), dbos, frag streak away repeat if needed, and keep your massive 55k Max Magika shields up 24/7
    Think yur a skilled player
    Ruin PvP
    Or even better destroult/soul assault a person getting zerged ,
    Think your a skilled player
    Ruin pvp
    Edited by IlCanis_LupuslI on October 26, 2017 5:21PM
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is it that the people who keep saying “PvP isn’t skill based” never are good at PvP? You’d think that if it isn’t skill based then they could get these magical items and these “meta builds” and run around dominating everyone. But that’s never what happens.

Is gear important? Yes. But thankfully this game makes getting good gear very easy compared to other MMOs. There’s no “best” gear, but certain gear sets do tend to work better for certain play styles. I run hundings and automatons and 1 pc Molag Kena on my stamplar. It isn’t a secret and it’s an extremely generic build. But it works and I still tend to do really well in the small group vs small group fights I prefer.

If it had taken me a month to farm those sets then I’d be whining about gear. But it took an afternoon.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    Why is it that the people who keep saying “PvP isn’t skill based” never are good at PvP? You’d think that if it isn’t skill based then they could get these magical items and these “meta builds” and run around dominating everyone. But that’s never what happens.

Is gear important? Yes. But thankfully this game makes getting good gear very easy compared to other MMOs. There’s no “best” gear, but certain gear sets do tend to work better for certain play styles. I run hundings and automatons and 1 pc Molag Kena on my stamplar. It isn’t a secret and it’s an extremely generic build. But it works and I still tend to do really well in the small group vs small group fights I prefer.

If it had taken me a month to farm those sets then I’d be whining about gear. But it took an afternoon.

As a player who is not very good at 1v1 PVP and is so-so at small group PVP but has trained to be pretty good at doing what my organized raid needs, I find this idea the "PVP isn't skill based" to be hilarious. Skilled players with experience in their builds will wipe me 10 times out of 10 no matter how meta the build is I bring to the table, because they have skill and practice at a 1v1 or small group and I have less. Where I see the increase in my own skill is that at least I last longer before dying than I used to. :)
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

If I use it to kill someone it’s skill. If you use it to kill me it’s cheese. That’s pretty much why.

In all seriousness people who complain that there is no skill involved have a pretty myopic view of skill usually equating to “I can push this combo of buttons in the correct order faster than you can” but fail to understand that you can PVP at the highest levels with like 3 offensive moves total.

If you have a 10 button rotation you’re not skilled in Cyrodiil, you’re just inefficient.
    Edited by THEDKEXPERIENCE on October 26, 2017 7:00PM
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Get a NB

Cloak if failed

Rinse and repeat

Ruin pvp

@FloppyTouch
    I Challenge u to do vmsa on a stblade then on a sorc then tell me whats easier. Yeh PvP is easy on stbl but it can be hellisch im pve endgame. We have to have a easy Time someshere. And btw sorc Rotation= crushing shock spamm till frag procs , mages wrath x3(warning you a ult is incoming), dbos, frag streak away repeat if needed, and keep your massive 55k Max Magika shields up 24/7
    Ruin PvP
    Ruin pvp

I play mdk this topic is about pvp u have no point
  • JonnytheKing
    JonnytheKing
    ✭✭✭✭
    ***_allard wrote: »
    PvP sucks! I have never liked PvP and hate the fact that game developers cater to them that do.

you really are missing something up top if you think zos caters for pvp , and the fact that you say it sucks probable mean that you suck at pvp , put some time in to it and its fun.
    TWITCH jtk__gaming
    GM of Elder-Skills DC PVP Guild NA
    Main Toons
    MagSorc
    MagTemp
  • JonnytheKing
    JonnytheKing
    ✭✭✭✭
    PvP sucks! I have never liked PvP and hate the fact that game developers cater to them that do.

you really are missing something up top if you think zos caters for pvp , and the fact that you say it sucks probable mean that you suck at pvp , put some time in to it and its fun.

link ?
    TWITCH jtk__gaming
    Main Toons
    MagSorc
    MagTemp
  • JonnytheKing
    JonnytheKing
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kahina wrote: »
    Smasherx74 wrote: »
    Gear is one thing, knowing how to use that gear and your skills to their best whilst using LoS to control fights is a lot of what PvP is about, all of which is player skill.

It's about having the better ping. It's rarely about anything more. Be a real community ambassador and campaign for latency equalization to be built into the server and client. Then let's talk.

i have around 400 ping all the time and still can beat most poeple sooooooooo
    TWITCH jtk__gaming
    Main Toons
    MagSorc
    MagTemp
  • Kahina
    Kahina
    ✭✭✭
    I have around 400 ping all the time and still can beat most poeple sooooooooo

I'm awaiting your video with the included latency display with eager anticipation. I'm also not expecting you to post that which does not exist. Please note that obvious charades are obvious.
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a NB

Cloak if failed

Rinse and repeat

Ruin pvp

@FloppyTouch
    Ruin PvP
    Ruin pvp

@FloppyTouch
    Even worse mag dks= dot, taleons, whip repeat
    Think your a good player
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the point was= PvP is literally One of the few Things a stamblade can exell at and you want to take that from them as Well???
    Edited by IlCanis_LupuslI on October 27, 2017 8:16AM
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play pvp sometimes.
    It is fun.
    I once chased a magplar half way across cyrodiil, I couldn't out dps their heals.
    Eventually, they made the mistake of heading towards one of the bridges.
    That was entertaining.
    I also enjoy zergs. Two massive groups of people charging at each other is fun.
    Sieges are fun too. Except for when a wall comes down and the game has to load in the new map state. I am usually dead when it has finished loading.
    Small group pvp/solo pvp can be fun too. I hate it when that one elf I'm fighting hits me with 23 different skills in 2 seconds, though. I tried to do that once, but I just ended up flailing around like a lost jellyfish.
    Maybe I will be better at it one day.
    Pvp is fun, but it has a few problems. It is still enjoyable, but I think it shouldn't be taken seriously.
    I forgot what this thread was about.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Get a NB

Cloak if failed

Rinse and repeat

Ruin pvp

@FloppyTouch
    Ruin PvP
    Ruin pvp

@FloppyTouch
    Think your a good player

Nope I don’t if fact I think I’m terrible. But you bring up VMA an sorcs like I play one. Comparing and easy mode VMA class to anything can make another class look weak that why I said you have no point.

Mdk in solo pvp is a lot harder then a Stamblade at least a Stamblade can run away and their combo is a set rotation. Mdk has to stand there beating up a guy and hold there ground. Stam NB is the well this didn’t work end fight bye

When I switched from mdk to stam NB after years of playing mdk I could not believe how easy it was to play. This was also during the proc meta Stamblade
    And the point was= PvP is literally One of the few Things a stamblade can exell at and you want to take that from them as Well???

Never said I wanted anything taken away from them don’t know where you read that. You seem very confused. Simple reply to some one saying that NB think they are the most skillful class in pvp when they really are not they are very easy to play.
    Edited by FloppyTouch on October 27, 2017 10:11AM
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play pvp sometimes.
    It is fun.
    I once chased a magplar half way across cyrodiil, I couldn't out dps their heals.
    That was entertaining.
    Sieges are fun too. Except for when a wall comes down and the game has to load in the new map state. I am usually dead when it has finished loading.
    Small group pvp/solo pvp can be fun too. I hate it when that one elf I'm fighting hits me with 23 different skills in 2 seconds, though. I tried to do that once, but I just ended up flailing around like a lost jellyfish.
    Pvp is fun, but it has a few problems. It is still enjoyable, but I think it shouldn't be taken seriously.

That's an awaesome just for that line :lol:
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a NB

Cloak if failed

Rinse and repeat

Ruin pvp

@FloppyTouch
    Ruin PvP
    Ruin pvp

@FloppyTouch
    Think your a good player

Nope I don’t if fact I think I’m terrible. But you bring up VMA an sorcs like I play one. Comparing and easy mode VMA class to anything can make another class look weak that why I said you have no point.

Mdk in solo pvp is a lot harder then a Stamblade at least a Stamblade can run away and their combo is a set rotation. Mdk has to stand there beating up a guy and hold there ground. Stam NB is the well this didn’t work end fight bye

When I switched from mdk to stam NB after years of playing mdk I could not believe how easy it was to play. This was also during the proc meta Stamblade
    Get a NB

Cloak if failed

Rinse and repeat

Ruin pvp

@FloppyTouch
    Ruin PvP
    Ruin pvp

@FloppyTouch
    Think your a good player

Ok
    Get a NB

Cloak if failed

Rinse and repeat

Ruin pvp

@FloppyTouch
    Ruin PvP
    Ruin pvp

@FloppyTouch
    Think your a good player

Funny i had the same experience as i tested mag dks(that was the mag dk epidemic after sypher released his build) I could believe how easy it was toplay. Literally endless substain and hard hitting plus endless mistform and op tankyness. You think cloak is strong??? Well there are 30+ skills that can pull you put on stealth. Mist Form??? 0 skills that pull you out. And thats not even mentioning the superb cc the mag dk has.
    My advice try without that proc [snip] that carried you only Noobs need those and im comfident your Not.. No other magica Class can permablock 10 min strait while blockcasting 90% of the abilities. I personally thought it was so disgustingly easy I made him back into a pve tank. While the burst combo on as stamblade is as easy as any clss, surviving in medium while fighting people who wear 90% heavy or permashield while hhaving insane burst potential involves a huge amount of situational awareness and movement skills, literally 1 mistake and your dead. On a mag dk 1 mistake??? Just mistform away pull a pot, use a ulti and your as good as new.
    @FloppyTouch

[Edited to remove profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on October 27, 2017 8:33PM
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play pvp sometimes.
    It is fun.
    That was entertaining.

/thread
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billy2112 wrote: »
    So smasher by your perspective we could put a total noob in gear and he will #win?

This is facts.

I've put noobs in basic PVP gear and they destroy those who aren't in gear.

A pro PVPer in PVE gear/bars will lose to a noob in PVP gear. That's how this game works, and every MMO I played works. If you have better gear, you win. Sure there is some room for error or potential, but in general having higher tier gear automatically means you win. Especially if you consider you have not only higher tier gear, but skills PVP locked.

I honestly believe Archeage has PVP equality than this game... that may sound 100% false to any archeage player but consider this. ESO is just as bad, maybe you don't have to play since day 1 to be the highest gear score, but if you specifically level up PVP skills and grind for PVP sets then you can easily beat anyone who doesn't have good gear or PVP skills unlocked.

That is utterly untrue. When i first rolled a magicka sorc on console I was wearing seducers and 4pc necro which I obtained in a day farming dolemns.....cp 200 something and was destroying people just fine.

A good player can farm potatoes all day long in whatever gear sets.

Archage is a cesspool of 15 yr olds and hackers that rewards those who spend all day grinding, just as all those Korean mmos do.
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billy2112 wrote: »
    So smasher by your perspective we could put a total noob in gear and he will #win?

This is facts.

I've put noobs in basic PVP gear and they destroy those who aren't in gear.

A pro PVPer in PVE gear/bars will lose to a noob in PVP gear. That's how this game works, and every MMO I played works. If you have better gear, you win. Sure there is some room for error or potential, but in general having higher tier gear automatically means you win. Especially if you consider you have not only higher tier gear, but skills PVP locked.

I honestly believe Archeage has PVP equality than this game... that may sound 100% false to any archeage player but consider this. ESO is just as bad, maybe you don't have to play since day 1 to be the highest gear score, but if you specifically level up PVP skills and grind for PVP sets then you can easily beat anyone who doesn't have good gear or PVP skills unlocked.
    There is no such a thing as "high tier gear" in this game. Gear progression in this game is really short and the only hard gear to get are the Maelstrom weapons.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, to test out some of your theories, I took my poor girlfriend (who had leveled to level 11 all by herself), logged her on my toon, grouped her up with some of the best BG players in PC NA, and recorded it.

So to those who say you can take a beginner and gear them out and put them on a good team and they’ll dominate, let me present “taking a beginner and gearing her out and putting her on a good team”

https://youtu.be/K8qGMJZMGo8
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    By the way, to test out some of your theories, I took my poor girlfriend (who had leveled to level 11 all by herself), logged her on my toon, grouped her up with some of the best BG players in PC NA, and recorded it.

So to those who say you can take a beginner and gear them out and put them on a good team and they’ll dominate, let me present “taking a beginner and gearing her out and putting her on a good team”

This was awesome and so completely accurate. The lack of speed between her moves was great. If you’re not comfortable enough with the controls where you can rattle off an attack sequence while anticipating your opponent’s next move you’re gonna get got even if you are equipped with the best gear imaginable.

There is no substitute for experience.
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVP in this game sucks because it's not skill based enough.

Sure you can spend hundreds of hours figuring out what would be best gear to use, maybe you even change gear/slots for duels, bg, and cyrodill... but what is it that relaly makes you good? Well 99.9999999% of the time it's gear, nto your skill. Perhaps sometimes you get an even fight, then it lasts 2 hours.

Defeatist mentality. I’ll at least agree gear matters more in this game than most others I have played but you could put some in BIS gear that has no skill and a really good player in crap gear and the better player will still win. The day everyone starts blaming gear sets on why they die is the day they should maybe reassess their own skills. Not saying you’re bad as I don’t know you and won’t judge, but I see others wit this mentality too and there is a common theme.

I know right? All this PvP content over the last three years is just way too much! I wish there would be PvE oriented DLC for once! *end sarcasm*

If you wear *** gear in PVP, even a noob can destroy you if they got really good gear. A noob in 5fps spamming biting jabs and jesus beam will absolutely murder you every time. Why? Because you literally can't kill them. That noob could be the worst player in the game, and all he has to do is spam 2 abilities. One damage and one heals. If you're really playing in *** gear and he realy has good gear, he's just going to destroy you every time no matter how much you run or how good your movement is.

This si why I compared this game to Archeage. In that game the people with best gear have played / grinded for years or paid thousands of dollars for the character. Starting off as a noob in AA you will never get even close to top GS. You'll literally be grinding every single day just to get a little bit better GS, and then after about 3-5 years you might have a high GS relative to the top. Now you can get 3k gs (about the minimum required for end game) and play absolutely *** PERFECT but if your enemy has 8k gs, they will literally 2 shot you or just stand there while you do tons of damage and they haven't even lost a % of health.

You know what other game is like that? ESO.... I can go duel someone right now and even if they're a GOOD if their gear isn't good enough I can just stand there typing in chat about how they suck, while I just throw some buffs and vigor myself every once in a while. That player can be a former emp and still get his ass handed to him without me having to play skillful at all. As long as I got better gear for the situation (like dueling) I will always win.

Just because you would die to a noob with good gear doesn't mean everybody else would.

One thing I want to point out is that claiming that gear is more important than skill is too vague of a statement to actually be meaningful. Sure, if you have somebody with all white non-set gear fight somebody with fully gold BIS gear, then gear is likely going to be a bigger factor than skill. However, there is a huge difference between not having good gear, and having gear so bad that you have to try to not have any better options. More realistically, if you want to talk about how much gear impacts performance, you want to compare "budget" gear, which anybody who wants to PVP should be able to obtain fairly easily, to BIS gear. I think I can safely say that blue crafted or overland sets are easy enough to obtain that you could reasonably use that as a baseline to compare BIS gear to. While the difference in quality of gear will have an impact, give me blue crafted sets and I'll take down a noob wearing gold BIS gear anytime.

Thanks for the blatant insult, but I was speaking objectively not based on my own ancedotal experience.

If I'm an experienced vet played since beta but I'm wearing regular gear, then some noob wears gold BiS gear for OP build.

Guess what? I can't magically clutch a win by "playing good". Killing them is literally impossible, and tanking them is also impossible. So what do I do? Maybe I can try to knock them out fo bounds in a duel but what if it's cyordill? Does running away count as winning? Sorry but what I said wasn't vague it was absolutely true.

But hey let's try to address the argument from your perspective. Picture this, i'm using blue crafted gear with average build. Now some noob has just got all gold BiS gear for a really good PVP build. He plays like absolute crap, but I play absolutely perfect. He doesn't apply his abilities or burst, doesn't dodge or block, just buttom mashes an ability or two standing still. While I'm running around him so he can't hit me, stunning and controlling him, kiting, etc... But for some reason the noob isn't dying! I mean, I'm playing my absolute best. I play this way with good gear and destroy everyone, so whats going on? It's not my skill, and it certainly isn't the noob's skill. It's the gear...

Don't treat this game like it's a fair competition because it's not. Gear easily makes up for 75% of the capability to win. 25% could arguably be skill related.
    Edited by Smasherx74 on October 27, 2017 9:20PM
    Master Debater
  • Ihatenightblades
    Ihatenightblades
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those who dont like pvp just simply dont enjoy it im not mad at em.

But for those who enjoy it including myself couldn't imagine this game without pvp.

Pve is fun but pvp keeps me here
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This was awesome and so completely accurate. The lack of speed between her moves was great. If you’re not comfortable enough with the controls where you can rattle off an attack sequence while anticipating your opponent’s next move you’re gonna get got even if you are equipped with the best gear imaginable.

There is no substitute for experience.

My thoughts exactly. I had her use jabs instead of dizzy swing because I knew there was no way she would be able to land a DS on a skilled player in the BGs. Anticipating player movements and positioning is something that many PvE players don’t do very well and it isn’t something that can be learned overnight.

• Bakkagami
    Bakkagami
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta love when people resort to the "this game is all gear, no skill" argument, with the prevalence of people running around in "meta" builds that still get destroyed in a few seconds. If you lose and it looks like you didn't stand a chance, more than likely, you can swap gear with whoever killed you and you still wouldn't stand a chance. Gear will make a difference only if there isn't a significant skill gap (as it should or there wouldn't be a point to having any gear). Rather than resort to pointless arguments like that why not just learn ways to counter whatever is killing you and generally just get good?
  • Bakkagami
    Bakkagami
    ✭✭✭
    PVP in this game sucks because it's not skill based enough.

Sure you can spend hundreds of hours figuring out what would be best gear to use, maybe you even change gear/slots for duels, bg, and cyrodill... but what is it that relaly makes you good? Well 99.9999999% of the time it's gear, nto your skill. Perhaps sometimes you get an even fight, then it lasts 2 hours.

Defeatist mentality. I’ll at least agree gear matters more in this game than most others I have played but you could put some in BIS gear that has no skill and a really good player in crap gear and the better player will still win. The day everyone starts blaming gear sets on why they die is the day they should maybe reassess their own skills. Not saying you’re bad as I don’t know you and won’t judge, but I see others wit this mentality too and there is a common theme.

I know right? All this PvP content over the last three years is just way too much! I wish there would be PvE oriented DLC for once! *end sarcasm*

If you wear *** gear in PVP, even a noob can destroy you if they got really good gear. A noob in 5fps spamming biting jabs and jesus beam will absolutely murder you every time. Why? Because you literally can't kill them. That noob could be the worst player in the game, and all he has to do is spam 2 abilities. One damage and one heals. If you're really playing in *** gear and he realy has good gear, he's just going to destroy you every time no matter how much you run or how good your movement is.

This si why I compared this game to Archeage. In that game the people with best gear have played / grinded for years or paid thousands of dollars for the character. Starting off as a noob in AA you will never get even close to top GS. You'll literally be grinding every single day just to get a little bit better GS, and then after about 3-5 years you might have a high GS relative to the top. Now you can get 3k gs (about the minimum required for end game) and play absolutely *** PERFECT but if your enemy has 8k gs, they will literally 2 shot you or just stand there while you do tons of damage and they haven't even lost a % of health.

You know what other game is like that? ESO.... I can go duel someone right now and even if they're a GOOD if their gear isn't good enough I can just stand there typing in chat about how they suck, while I just throw some buffs and vigor myself every once in a while. That player can be a former emp and still get his ass handed to him without me having to play skillful at all. As long as I got better gear for the situation (like dueling) I will always win.

Just because you would die to a noob with good gear doesn't mean everybody else would.

One thing I want to point out is that claiming that gear is more important than skill is too vague of a statement to actually be meaningful. Sure, if you have somebody with all white non-set gear fight somebody with fully gold BIS gear, then gear is likely going to be a bigger factor than skill. However, there is a huge difference between not having good gear, and having gear so bad that you have to try to not have any better options. More realistically, if you want to talk about how much gear impacts performance, you want to compare "budget" gear, which anybody who wants to PVP should be able to obtain fairly easily, to BIS gear. I think I can safely say that blue crafted or overland sets are easy enough to obtain that you could reasonably use that as a baseline to compare BIS gear to. While the difference in quality of gear will have an impact, give me blue crafted sets and I'll take down a noob wearing gold BIS gear anytime.

Thanks for the blatant insult, but I was speaking objectively not based on my own ancedotal experience.

If I'm an experienced vet played since beta but I'm wearing regular gear, then some noob wears gold BiS gear for OP build.

Guess what? I can't magically clutch a win by "playing good". Killing them is literally impossible, and tanking them is also impossible. So what do I do? Maybe I can try to knock them out fo bounds in a duel but what if it's cyordill? Does running away count as winning? Sorry but what I said wasn't vague it was absolutely true.

But hey let's try to address the argument from your perspective. Picture this, i'm using blue crafted gear with average build. Now some noob has just got all gold BiS gear for a really good PVP build. He plays like absolute crap, but I play absolutely perfect. He doesn't apply his abilities or burst, doesn't dodge or block, just buttom mashes an ability or two standing still. While I'm running around him so he can't hit me, stunning and controlling him, kiting, etc... But for some reason the noob isn't dying! I mean, I'm playing my absolute best. I play this way with good gear and destroy everyone, so whats going on? It's not my skill, and it certainly isn't the noob's skill. It's the gear...

Don't treat this game like it's a fair competition because it's not. Gear easily makes up for 75% of the capability to win. 25% could arguably be skill related.

I would disagree that there exists a build that can't be beaten, especially by a better player. One of the great things about PvP atm is that everything has a counter and nothing can counter everything. What people with your mentality often don't realize is a change in strategy and playstyles will go further to counter these "OP"and "BiS" builds than having the same gear. Don't face tank a build that excels at facetanking, don't get into a dps race against a build with higher dps, etc.

Also, your example simply will not happen. If you lose to a guy that can just stand there and press a couple buttons no amount of gear will change the fact that you will lose as clearly he knows which buttons to press and when to do it and you, quite simply, do not.