The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Kind of new. Any classes/builds to completely avoid?

Pr0jectseph
Pr0jectseph
✭✭
Hey all,

I am returning to ESO from a long time off. (And even then, honestly, when I did play I didn't dive right into the game.)
The plan is to just play whatever kind of race/class I want, regardless of 'What is currently OP/most desired in groups'. I am a strong proponent of people doing awesome things with unexpected/odd builds.

BUT, that all being said, I'd like to avoid wasting time if I were to unknowingly choose just a completely garbage build.
Are there particular builds/weapons I should just stay clear of? As in "Bows suck, and stay clear of <this variant> of NB. Here's why..."

I will play PvE and PvP. Not interested in Sorcerer/Warden class.

Thanks, and all the best!
Edited by Pr0jectseph on October 23, 2017 11:11AM
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely stay away from sorcs, purely because I dislike them for hiding behind shields etc. They're just my personal arch enemy and I don't want people joining the sorc army.

Be a stamina nightblade, and wreck some havoc with good proc sets and build around that. Use sets which abilities fit to your liking. Forget using what everyone else uses and be you.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as you choose to focus on either stamina or magicka, and use the correct weapons/skills for that focus, any class is going to be fine. Nothing is terrible or useless for PVE content (short of trials) as long as you know what you are doing.

As you want to PVP, I suggest you think about what role you want in PVP, such as 1vX, Xv1, solo, small group, ganker, bomber, zerg surfer, healer, tank, DPS, and plan your class accordingly.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcs are fun, and can do quite a bit of damage. Their other advantage is there are several different play-styles you can do with sorcerors depending on what skills you choose for them, so they never get boring. Don't listen to Chrysa.
    Other than that, the only advice I can give you is to not use bows in group dungeons.* They're relatively weak in a face-to-face fight, but great for using from stealth. I have bows on several of my characters, but I use them from stealth as quick poison damage-over-time, then quickly switch to my dual wield daggers. I do some great damage that way. Also, there are a few bosses where it's preferable to fight ranged if you can (Urfon Ice-Heart in the Orsinium quest-line comes to mind).
    *EDIT* I meant as your only weapon.

Edited by SydneyGrey on October 25, 2017 5:05AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't use a bow in a group dungeon?

Use a bow in a group dungeon as your back bar weapon if you are a stamina character. Most stam builds will use endless hail and poison arrow at least to give yourself DOTs while you switch to your main weapon for single target damage.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Use a bow in a group dungeon as your back bar weapon if you are a stamina character. Most stam builds will use endless hail and poison arrow at least to give yourself DOTs while you switch to your main weapon for single target damage.

This you can also add other ranged damage over time effects on bow bar, caltrops is very nice. you can also put sef buffs here. HA with bow to restore stamina is only exception.
    My standard for clearing mobs in public dungeons is endless hail, caltrops, then spam steel tornado.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Kahina
    Kahina
    ✭✭✭
    Just play how you want and screw what other people think. Anything can be made to work well enough.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right. I meant don't use it as your main and only weapon.