Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

If they were to kill one of the characters in ESO ...

JD2013
JD2013
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Okay so I had a thought. If they were to kill off a character in ESO, who's death would actually matter?

Like, there's lots of characters in the game. Who's death would actually cause an impact?

Perhaps Queen Ayrenn, King Emeric or Jorunn? Naryu? Sir Cadwell?
Edited by JD2013 on October 8, 2017 3:35PM
Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
Order of Sithis
The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Sekero
    Sekero
    ✭✭✭
    Stuga!
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose it would depend - who should it matter to, and when are they dying? The death of any of the faction leaders would certainly matter to their faction, but the other two are unlikely to care much. If we're talking someone's death that would impact of all of Nirn, then if either Vanus Galerion or King Dynar died BEFORE the invasion of Coldharbour, it would likely matter a great deal to a great many people, but afterwards not so much since...yeah.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    Okay so I had a thought. If they were to kill off a character in ESO, who's death would actually matter?

You've finished the main quest, right?
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy in daggerfall or wherever that abuses his horse.

Never liked that guy.
    Master Debater
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Like, there's lots of characters in the game. Who's death would actually cause an impact?

Perhaps Queen Ayrenn, King Emeric or Jorunn? Naryu? Sir Cadwell?
    A character, that is not attempting to destroy or take over Nirn, is destroyed. We actually get to choose from a group of characters.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only one that would really matter is our character. We are the ones who save every faction, defeat Molag Bal, find everyone's loved ones, cleanup every mess, etc, etc, etc!
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any and everyone posting baseless nerf threads.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lady Laurent .

Stibbons would lose the rest of his hair but would finally become a man . Maybe even a badass action hero bent on revenge . Could even change his name to Stibbs and wear an eye patch . Searching the country side for the killers , saving villagers from evil and villainous scum . A cold man no longer polite and of few words , only actions . He would need a montage after her death to show his transformation into a buff stone cold killer . Only question would be is Tamriel ready for The Stibbonator ?

maybe .
    Edited by Rohamad_Ali on October 8, 2017 11:33PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lady Laurent .

Stibbons would lose the rest of his hair but would finally become a man .

He sounds like he was neutered long ago :)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Lady Laurent .

Stibbons would lose the rest of his hair but would finally become a man .

He sounds like he was neutered long ago :)

I edited to show it could be the best new story of Daggerfall .
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Queen Ayreen. Evil witch!
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done the main story (several times) and know a character dies. This is for possible future content. I feel like we can safely get rid of a character or two :D
    Edited by JD2013 on October 9, 2017 4:23PM
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every dunmer related to Dres and Telvanii.
    PC/EU
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I quantify "making a difference" as in having a significant impact on future games, I would suggest killing one or all of the Tribunal members. Alternatively, wiping out some of Tiber Septim's ancestors should do the trick.
    Unfortunately, Vivec has plot armor as big as Vvardenfell. ZOS wasn't really going to drop Baar Dau early. :(
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every dunmer related to Dres and Telvanii.

This is a good point. If Divayth Fyr dies, there will never be a Corprusarium. Even if the Nerevarine never gets infected, Yagrum Bagarn won't be there to walk us through how to use Wraithguard. And this is assuming we're done with him in ESO.
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    City Solicitor after I've done [Orsinium Patron] achievement. Why should I seek her if SHE needs my money?
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of these characters, and their deeds, will ultimately mean nothing. This is the dark age of the second era where just about all recorded history of it will be destroyed or lost.

The only thing that really remains is the formation of the First Aldemri Dominion that the second is modeled after in the fourth era.

Regardless of who dies the results will be the same: more chaos, more war, more factions rising and falling.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have done the main story (several times) and know a character dies. This is for possible future content. I feel like we can safely get rid of a character or two :D

It's not just the main quest. A variety of non-evil characters die, at least in the DC.
  • BrianDavion
    BrianDavion
    ✭✭✭✭
    All of these characters, and their deeds, will ultimately mean nothing. This is the dark age of the second era where just about all recorded history of it will be destroyed or lost.

The only thing that really remains is the formation of the First Aldemri Dominion that the second is modeled after in the fourth era.

Regardless of who dies the results will be the same: more chaos, more war, more factions rising and falling.

Actually the dominion in 4E is the third one.

Yes a bunch of racial supremists running a "third X" wonder where Beth got THAT idea from
    Edited by BrianDavion on October 10, 2017 8:50PM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Second Aldmeri Dominion is running around by Tiber Septim's time, and they seemed to be more along the lines of Dominion #3. But there had to be a first before there could be a second, so yes, the existence of the First Aldmeri Dominion manages to get recorded somewhere.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That Khajiit judge or guard person who sentences that dude to the stocks in Rawl’kha. If she were dead, I wouldn’t have to keep listening to her irritating voice.
  • DarkMasterJMK
    DarkMasterJMK
    ✭✭✭
    If I quantify "making a difference" as in having a significant impact on future games, I would suggest killing one or all of the Tribunal members. Alternatively, wiping out some of Tiber Septim's ancestors should do the trick.
    Unfortunately, Vivec has plot armor as big as Vvardenfell. ZOS wasn't really going to drop Baar Dau early. :(

I take it you've never played The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind? The Tribunal appears in that game, and the first of the two expansions for TES III: Morrowind is called Tribunal, and not to get too much into spoilers, but the Tribunal in that game is less plot-armored than in ESO.

In ESO, the Tribunal is plot-armored since it's set far earlier than any of the other games in the Elder Scrolls series.
    Edited by DarkMasterJMK on October 18, 2017 5:32AM
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narsis Dren
    Locking him in a sarcophagus and leaving him to die at the bottom of a well did not stop him from returning to the land of the living. I want to tie him to a tree in a particularly vampire-infested piece of land. Or very hungry Daedra. Or maybe I can get him to sacrifice himself to a deity or two if I convince him there's shiny loot involved? Trampled by a pack of rabid Guar would also be a fitting end for our not-so-adventurous-adventurer.

Don't know if it'd matter in the grand scheme of things, but it would certainly make me feel a whole lot better.
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I take it you've never played The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind? The Tribunal appears in that game, and the first of the two expansions for TES III: Morrowind is called Tribunal, and not to get too much into spoilers, but the Tribunal in that game is less plot-armored than in ESO.

In ESO, the Tribunal is plot-armored since it's set far earlier than any of the other games in the Elder Scrolls series.

This is exactly why I suggested killing them. The OP asked who's death would actually matter. Killing off the Tribunal or wiping out Tiber Septim's ancestors absolutely would matter. It's not going to happen because they have plot armor...because Tiber Septim has to start the Septim Dynasty and become Talos and the Tribunal has to be around for TES III: Morrowind and Tribunal, which yes, I have played. I'm fully aware of WHY they have plot armor, I'm just pointing out that if you want deaths that matter in the future beyond this period of history that really has no lore specifics because very little info survived, you kill off the people who we know survived. But ZOS can't, because of the aforementioned plot armor.

My mal-theistic Dunmer Vestige would gladly bring Almalexia or Vivec down a peg or two if she could, though. Jury's still out on Sotha Sil.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swear to S'rendarr if anything happens to my drinking buddy Jimila...
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • BrianDavion
    BrianDavion
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the best canidate among major characters would be Jorrun. why? simple, we've already Met the man's son. so his death would allow some evolution of another character etc
  • Walks_With_Kagouti
    Im personally all fir the story Arc of "The Stibbonator" later to become a warrior of pure legend and eventual start a school of pure awesomeness and be known as Master Stibb Conqueror of Tamerial

"Bend your knee to me, I'll give you a minion for each enemy you've slain. You will have an army.
    -Lord Molag Bal

The armies of Molag Bal are upon you! Submit to my masters rule!
  • Kharnis
    Kharnis
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Laurent .

Stibbons would lose the rest of his hair but would finally become a man . Maybe even a badass action hero bent on revenge . Could even change his name to Stibbs and wear an eye patch . Searching the country side for the killers , saving villagers from evil and villainous scum . A cold man no longer polite and of few words , only actions . He would need a montage after her death to show his transformation into a buff stone cold killer . Only question would be is Tamriel ready for The Stibbonator ?

maybe .

Other way around, I would say. Leave Laurent alive, but kill Stibbons. It would be much more meaningful. Spoilers for those who haven't finished the main story in Coldharbour; don't read the rest of this post if you don't want to know a small portion of what happens there.

The reason I think Stibbons should be the one to die rather than Laurent is because of what she goes through as you progress through the game. When you first meet her, she's a selfish person who is only interested in acquiring knowledge to increase her own status. Stibbons (and, by extension, your character) are there strictly to advance that increase. She quite openly admits that she's lost a lot of assistants in the past (though she will, of course, insist that it was all their fault, and not hers), and poor Stibbons is usually the one who has to deal with the aftermath of whatever it is she's looking for. He gets better, of course, but he is so doggedly loyal to her that, although he's fatalistic of what will happen to him, he never even considers leaving her service.

And then we get to Coldharbour, and the Hidden City. There, we meet up with Laurent again, but this time Stibbons is missing. And, to her surprise, she's upset, though she will deny the reason why and claim it's because she's out a good servant that took her years to train properly. When you finally rescue him, and bring him back, she scolds him and chastises him, but it's quite clear that she was more upset at his disappearance and more relieved at his return than she's willing to admit, even to herself.

So, imagine how much of a gut punch it would be if, for once, she decided to do something that had nothing to do with her and an increase in her status but rather had everything to do with acting selflessly (for once) for the greater good. And imagine what that would do to her when that one act of real, genuine altruism is the one act that kills Stibbons.

What would that do to her, I wonder?
    "Technology today is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof devices, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

- Rich Cook
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only Naryu and Raz really matter. The rest? They can die.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Dystopia2020
    Dystopia2020
    ✭✭✭
    Narsis Dren, Lady Laurent, Sun in Shadows would be the first ones I think of. Neramo is possibly the only one I wouldn't kill.
    As for someone who "matters" I would NOT kill King Dynar or Vanus Galarion, I have some scruples.
    Edited by Dystopia2020 on October 21, 2017 7:02PM
    Apotheosis Priori~ EP Altmer Vamplar
    Illumanatus Priori~ EP Altmer Mag Sorc
    Apostate Priori~ EP Altmer Mag DK
    Apostate De'Void~ (retired) AD Altmer crafter
    PC/ NA, Vivec
    This is the Spiral Skein. The tower is One. The strands are Eight. The lessons are Forever.
    "No really, I AM an Ayleid".