Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stuck at Infinite loading screen or Requesting character load.

Kot
Kot
Problem: see title
CS helpfullness: close to zero
Level of frustration: extreme
Problem description:
So, after 1.4.6 the game became completelly unplayable for me. I either stuck at Requesting character load or (if I got lucky and got into the game) I stuck at eternal loading screen when I try to teleport somewhere. In the best cases I can change location up to 2 times, but 3rd teleport will lead to infinite loading screen in 100% of cases. Sometimes after 3-5 minutes of showing me the loading screen it just boots me to the log-in screen with "An error has occurred" message, sometimes it is not and I need to close the game with alt-f4. On very rare occasions I can play for couple of hours especially when I don't change zones too often. I tried to delete addons, repaired the game several times, contacted my ISP support and they didn't find any issues with my connection. I made a support ticked in the game and got 2 answers, it was general useless stuff about addons and running as administrator and in compatibility mode. I do run ESO and launcher as administrator, both launcher and eso.exe are exceptions in firewall and anti-virus software and compatibility mode causes fps to drop 1.5-2 times so I won't use it. anyone has any ideas what can I do to get this sorted?

Update: forgot to say I have zero problems with another online games wich I have 3 installed. They are world of tanks, guild wars and guild wars 2. I don't have problems with downloading stuff and browsing web pages as well, it is only ESO that have issues.
Edited by Kot on October 18, 2014 5:32PM
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive had this for over a week bro, not much help from eso to be honest, they refuse to accept its a problem at their end and keep asking me to do generic fixes to my pc.
    I had a phone call but again no joy, so they 'passed' me on again.
    Ive unsubbed, im willing to over look a lot as i enjoy this game but i cant even install it at the min so thats where im at. yaay.
    Hope you have better luck than me.
  • seancrowne
    seancrowne
    Soul Shriven
    I am having the same issue, exactly, only i cant teleport anywhere, any load screen will boot me. its been since the 1.4.6 update we are already at 7 and they haven't addressed this issue. i wish we could roll back the update because before this i was a happy customer. now i cant do anything. at this point i am thinking of deleting the game and saying better luck next year. the tech support hasn't been helpful, and realistically , the problem is on their end. lots of people have been having this issue. IF ANY ONE FIGURES OUT A WORK AROUND! let me know!
  • Lacplesis
    Lacplesis
    The same here. Sometimes when I run eso launcher i get error 209.
    Anyway, I can run the game , even login, then at character selection screen I can even press play on my char. Next step should be me playing the game, but no. I get stuck in the loading screen, and the game is simply not responding.... so ctrl+alt+delete and end process.
    I have followed all the instructions eso support gave me. NO results. I HAVE EVEN REINSTALLED the game for 3 times ! no eso for me for about 5 days now.
  • Kot
    Kot
    After a week of extencive communication with customers support still nothing. I'll wait for 1.5 and check if something changes.
  • Ra1ne
    Ra1ne
    ✭✭
    I've had two similar issues to this

The first being that I couldn't get past char load if shadow settings were set to anything but high - makes no sense to me, but for some reason it happened, Geforce experience had it set at high and I'd tried changing to get a bit of an fps increase.

The second being that it also wouldn't load past char select when it was set to run in D3D9 in usersettings.INI - changing to D3D11 solved this. You may even be set to opengl as others have experienced in this forum
    Edited by Ra1ne on October 28, 2014 8:56AM
  • Ra1ne
    Ra1ne
    ✭✭
    Double post fail, above was meant for another topic, editing apparently made a second post...can always give them a try though
    Edited by Ra1ne on October 28, 2014 8:57AM
  • coplannb16_ESO
    coplannb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you by chance use the Esohead-addon? Or any other addon that stores excessive amount of data in your addon-saved variables folder?

I started to get the loading screen of doom a month or two ago. Obviously support and forum does not help really, so I investigated on my own. I found that the esohead-saved variable file (an xml file) was larger than 20 MB. Now, as a programmer, I know that using large xml's in all the wrong ways can severely impact performance and memory.

I removed esohead and the xml-file and instantly got back ingame and load times got 10 times faster.

Root-cause analysis: the ESO addon management/interface cannot handle many addons and/or many saved variables (for instance I ran into "out of memory"-error ingame where it told me to disable addons and reloadui). Obviously on login the game loads all addons and parses and loads all addon-data, however if this exceeds a) a certain amount of memory reserved for addons and/or b) a certain amount of load time you wont make it into the game (b might be related to a timeout of the login-servers).

Might not solve everyones issues, but certainly solved mine.
    max level: mDK, stamBlade, stamSorc, magPlar, mDen, stamDen, magBlade, stamCro
    ESO+
    # of mules: 4 (FULL)
    maxed bank: FULL -_-
    Stop the grind! Get rid of stupid events and daily-quest gallore. Get rid of "have a chance of 1 in a million to get a piece of 1 in 30 to get a stupid motif or pet... wtf..."
    And at this point just remove all classes and have everyone choose their set of skills. then balance accordingly to skills always used vs. skills never used.
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was happening a lot several patches ago and it was fixed. It's been happening again since last patch. I'm not sure if it's the same because last time you would load forever and this time it seems to just take an exceptionally long time to load but eventually does. Though a couple times I have quit to desktop because I waited so long.
  • Midvaineb17_ESO
    Midvaineb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Stuck on "Requesting Character load" for any of my characters for 2 days of my gametime since November 13, and still there is no solution for this problem. Trying to use everything people wrote on the forum with same issue, but it doesn't work for me. Contacted CS team, but their answering is to slow. So, is there any REALY WORK idea for this, because i'm paying and i don't want to see "logging in" forever, i want to spend some time after work in the ESO world, and i completelly cannot doing this. Is there a problem on the servers or what? And why CS team are responding to slow, and on the other side, their advices are really useless. Why, and WTH!!???
    123.jpg 327.9K
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there folks,

As mentioned earlier in the thread by @coplannb16_ESO, please ensure that all add ons are disabled prior to launching the game. If that doesn't help, please let us know.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • betinahejhejrwb17_ESO
    betinahejhejrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I uninstalled all addons, and I still can't get ingame because of infinite loading screens.
  • Savinder
    Savinder
    ✭✭✭
    Friend of mine has the same issue.
    He has a ticked opened that hasn't helped yet and he would prost on the forums, but despite having a valid game account, apparently he can't register on the official game's forums.
    Var var var
  • C3N50R3D
    C3N50R3D
    ✭✭✭
    Try increasing LUA memory from 64 to 256 in your settings file.
  • PeriPeri05
    PeriPeri05
    Soul Shriven
    Just wondering if anyone here had any luck getting the issue fixed?

Just started experiencing infinite character load screens last two days, nothing seems to fix it (no I don't have add-ons) and have done all other basic things suggested like disabling firewall etc. It all started happening after I created a new character and now i cant access any of my 3 characters. :neutral_face:

Submitted a ticket and still waiting for a response from CS :(
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The native UI is not equipped with necessary features. For example as a tank you need to know that a taunt is on an enemy so that you know when to refresh it and so that you don't spam it and make it immune to taunts.

There is nothing in the native UI that will indicate that and so an add on is necessary. Disabling an addon is good for debugging but this games UI is being held up by addon's right now. The game is just not properly equipped without addons. The native UI really needs some major development before the removal of addon's can be considered a real solution.

______
    I am having the same problem as the OP. Over a third of my travels end in infinite loads, also walking results in infinite loads at the same locations. I had slow world object loads before 1.5 but since 1.5 I have slow object loads and infinite loads despite an SSD.
    Edited by Armitas on November 30, 2014 3:49PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • nyan.overlordeb17_ESO
    nyan.overlordeb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Same here. Got this problem on launch, stopped playing because of it.
    Thought this issue would be fixed by now and re-subbed, oh well. Clean install, no addons, everything is fine with firewall and everything. EVERY other MMO or online game is working fine...except this one.
  • Markuseb17_ESO15
    Same here. I am waiting for about 20 minutes now for a character load which was still working yesterday night. It is an alt (level 9, Stonefalls). All other chars do work, only this one, had a couple of error messages (try login in a couple of minutes ...) and now is waiting for 20 minutes. It cannot be the game on my PC. Another info: This char had a disconnect yesterday and had the "problem" that I tried to disassemble a void steel weapon ("You do not have the necessary skills to retrieve ...). After this, it refused to work. My problem is that this char is the border of all apparel and weapons to be analyzed by other chars. So the game is not working for me, as I used to play it before.
  • Markuseb17_ESO15
    Now it is even worse. The first try with my main to use a wayshrine from Craglorn to Alikr's Desert results in the same never ending loading screen. How can I play now? Yesterday everything still worked? I did some crafting quest in Craglorn and now I cannot go back to quest in Alikr? I am really annoyed.
  • saryc
    saryc
    its not only you, if that makes ur life easier. There are some problems with servers and all are affected.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/142382/did-the-eu-server-just-die#latest
  • Guerilla_Frank
    Guerilla_Frank
    Soul Shriven
    ***B.U.M.P.***

I had this issue some time after the game launch if I remember correctly. After every maintenance, patch or graphics readjusting I got stick in an endless loading screen, can't access characters. This was about 3-4 attempts at first, mounted up to 8-9 later on. I contacted the C/S. I sent them a report for which I had an answer that it seems my router drops connections these times, although it seemed strange that my router chose to drop only after aforementioned circumstances. After going through a different issue with accessing my router I had to resign that everything was fine there, and the problem indeed had to be with the game. This issue partly lead me to leave the game for a half year, I was done paying and not getting proper help with my difficulty.

Now that I've returned with hopes that several updates has solved this already I carried on from where I left off. At least I don't have to pay the subscription now. I tried to revive the ticket since it was still unsolved. Had a reply in 3-4 days, stating something like "we see you managed get in game, so have fun". Seriously... No further comment...

As it usually does, it takes one random person from the other side of the world to help you out. I should have had a more thorough web research and shouldn't have trusted the "professionals". See below, dear staff, the kind of help that I was expecting from you.
    Here's an extremely simple solution to solve the "infinite load screen" issue:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp1bQIFLpqQ

After the latest maintenance and 3 attempts to log in I deleted the file described in the video. Behold, I got to character screen right away. I hope this helps more people than myself.
  • pierre708b16_ESO
    pierre708b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    C3N50R3D wrote: »
    Try increasing LUA memory from 64 to 256 in your settings file.

This worked! Thanks alot!

For the ones who wonder where the settings file is, go to your documents folder and there should be an elder scrolls online folder with a file called usersettings. Open it with notepad and find the line SET LuaMemoryLimitMB "64".
    Change the 64 to 256.
  • breezybealleub17_ESO
    breezybealleub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I watched the video and removed the ZO_Ingame.lua file.... Did not work.

I also increased the LUA memory described in usersettings from 64 to 256.... Did not work.

After about 45 seconds stuck on the loading screen, my sound also starts to fade in and out. Very very frustrating. I've tried several things to fix it, ran the repair from the launcher, last resort is to uninstall & reinstall but from what everyone says I doubt that will work. I literally just bought the game after playing the "Welcome Back Weekend" and had no problems until 2.0.6. The first time I tried to login after that was when I couldn't make it to the character screen after entering my password.

Sigh.
  • davidautry_ESO
    All plugins disabled. Infinite load screen on dungeon finder.

Added bonus: 15 minute wait timer even after stupid load screen hang forever

Fix this please.

/thread resurrect
  • jason95821
    you would think that after 3 years they would fix this issue

infite loading screen for me
    no add ons
    have to relog 3 to 5 times for it to finaly get to char selection
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We are closing this thread since its three years old and a necro. Please start a new thread if you are having this issue.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.