The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How do YOU role play?

• Sy_Tarn
    Sy_Tarn
    Soul Shriven
    I am a veteran D&D player. So i play as i do if i were playing D&D keeping my character in character as himself so to speak. and make decisions based on his way of life. I always tend to lean onto the true neutral side of things he is not good nor evil he does things to benefit himself and the innocent bystanders that are effected by both sides of "good & Evil" because all they want is power over everything. true freedom is the only way to live.

I do like to role play with talking and speech on occasion with on and off line story, story role playing is actually one of my favorites. on forums or games as such. i'm not good with voices so i like to type things out more then anything. role playing is important. especially in games like this.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i am allways roleplaying when i play morrowind and eso.
    all i do is simple, just 1 thing.

"i pretend that i am really my character, and that the world i see ingame is the real thing, and i react as if it was really happening."

This
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    jarnkoldur wrote: »
    Apparently, a common theme within this thread is that most individuals prefer role-playing alone. :/ I thought the purpose of role-playing (in regards to MMORPGs) was to be a part of a collective narrative as opposed to pursuing one's own head canon?

Sad but true. RP was easier in the Ol'days when we were all on a specific server, encountered players easily, often and knew them by reputation.
    I still adore RP but hate the clumsy interface used in most games. There was a time a player could use non-modal chat. Ahhh..those were the days.
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread. I don’t RP at all in game. It might be because I am a professional novelist and I already spend too much time in my fictional characters’ heads. I play ESO to get away from all that :)
  • jarnkoldur
    jarnkoldur
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread. I don’t RP at all in game. It might be because I am a professional novelist and I already spend too much time in my fictional characters’ heads. I play ESO to get away from all that :)

So why post in a ESO role-playing thread in regards to "How do YOU role play?" when you don't role-play on ESO?
    "And when the truth finally dawns, it shall dawn in fire!"
  • jarnkoldur
    jarnkoldur
    ✭✭✭
    Path wrote: »
    Apparently, a common theme within this thread is that most individuals prefer role-playing alone. :/ I thought the purpose of role-playing (in regards to MMORPGs) was to be a part of a collective narrative as opposed to pursuing one's own head canon?

Sad but true. RP was easier in the Ol'days when we were all on a specific server, encountered players easily, often and knew them by reputation.
    I still adore RP but hate the clumsy interface used in most games. There was a time a player could use non-modal chat. Ahhh..those were the days.

Agreed.
    "And when the truth finally dawns, it shall dawn in fire!"
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One day, when I have the wealth of Bruce Wayne and can finance my own MMO, there will be a canon server that's only for roleplayers. Since I will have the wealth of Bruce Wayne, I'll be able to afford paying people to police it so that non-roleplayers aren't trolling on there--even making it a bannable offense, if necessary. The canon server is where all the official storylines will be played out, giving players a chance to interact and become a part of the game's living history. Forever. I would puppeteer main story npcs, give unique rewards. Give folks a real escapist world to inhabit.

That's the dream.
    Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So why post in a ESO role-playing thread in regards to "How do YOU role play?" when you don't role-play on ESO?

Why? Well, I guess one could ask why I’d even read the thread (as I did before posting)? Truth is, I’m a curious person who’s interested in what other folks do in game, even if I don’t do the same stuff myself. RP’ing sounds intriguing to someone who invents characters and stories on a regular basis. If I had the time and extra creative energy for it, I might try it.

Edited by DarcyMardin on October 12, 2017 3:41PM
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    In one of the RP guilds I joined, we thieve and melee with a simplified D&D type dice roll system, treating a plot of game space as a game board. The fun comes from getting to know people and their characters.

In another guild the roleplay always leads to PVE fighting in a dungeon or attacking an overland boss. The details behind the encounter are temporarily changed to fit our story. We'll be RPing our way through a trial soon.

In every case we use text in chat for everything RP related and plan ahead for things in Discord.
  • Patches760
    Patches760
    ✭✭
    I just call everyone I talk to in chat "daddy", usually ends up sparking something interesting.
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We as in my guild and I when we do rp events and stories do our best to incorporate quests and stories already in game and us the environment the way it is in our stories. At times I will create real in game characters just so I can control them and add to the story. Like right now our guild is doing story "house divided" which I created Razem-Dar to give our members a contract to assist a high elf in Khenarthi Roost to investigate the why the Queens ships were being targeted, which led us to Mistral quest line but to add that we change story slightly that the Sea Elves are being back by the rebel elves who are out there to depose of the queen. I think that ZOS created such a rich environment and so many quests that it is a shame and loss to not use them in role playing.

We also conduct military campaigns in the game using the dungeons to signify objectives or events. example is our forces sailing on ship caught in a storm and we have to make land fall and so we role play out the dungeon where you are stuck on the island. Another example is if we send in people to spy on a city or take out a certain individual we incorporate the stealing and blade of woe functions. Or if we are sneaking in forces through the sewers you us the sewer dungeon to signify us traveling through the sewers. lol even when we make camp will have people go out and gather so much wood for building wall and for fire pits, as well as rock/metal for defenses, water for drinking, and even food for eating.

we even incorporate addon's to allow for dice rolling to signify loses in event and we even created magic looking cards on our website that people earn that they can use to influence dice rolls and stuff. I have to say for MMO's at least the ones I've played that currently ESO is one of the most rp friendly areas to role play with so much content in game and way the environment is so open. Our golden rule lol is that we never, ever, ever, never ever, ever do dice rolling and swinging at the air. Not to be disrespectful to other people/guilds that do it we all rp in our own way.
    Edited by rynth on October 17, 2017 6:54PM
    When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • wolfsilver
    wolfsilver
    ✭✭
    While they usually require a great deal of refining afterwards, I like to take culture and game lore into account, craft a backstory based on what I think would be an interesting perspective, try to add in an unusual spin or two , and choose a name I think suits the character. I also like to create flaws for my character that can be used both for comedy and drama.

Take a few of my ESO characters, for example:

Jo'dirr. My Khajit. War veteran. Very world weary character. Often keeps to himself, can usually be found napping somewhere, and has a notable fear of fire. Due to circumstances beyond his control, he was orphaned at a young age, and was forcibly recruited into the Imperial Army, becoming an expert sniper with a bow and arrow, and trained as a Warden. In his old age, he tries to distance himself from politics and the like, and just wants to be left alone.

Davide, my Breton. At a young age, ashamed of himself and considered somewhat of an embarassment for failing to live up to his families legacy of battlemages, ran away, disappearing for several years before reentering the public eye as a Priest of Stendarr, having (apparently) come to terms with his lack of talent and embraced the divines as his true calling, becoming a peace loving and all around comforting figure...provided you aren't an Orc or a Daedra Worshipper, in which case, he will hate your guts.

Gilse Mandalas, my Dark elf. A devout of the tribunal and a magical prodigy at a young age, she has ambitions of being the Arch-Mage of House Telvanni, as well as raising her family from the lowly status of peasant farmers to a nobility She's also one of the most benevolent sorceress' you'll ever meet, with an earnest desire to help Morrowind..and is essentially unaware of the darker machinations of politics and House Telvanni, and has yet to truly grasping the horrors of slavery.