The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Help me to fix my game (heavy stuttering, things dont load in time)

Soris
Soris
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi first of all i have to say i have a potato pc, but i've been playing this game just fine in the past years.Then this problem has started to happen for some time ago. It starts stuttering when a lot of players and npcs around such as in cities and it doesn't load textures properly. (it takes time to load and it stutter while loading) It doesn't happen when im in nature, empty places, quest zones etc. And by the way the usersettings file is the default one, i did not change anything there.

Please watch the video, you can see exactly what is happening. I know i should upgrade my pc, but idk which part exactly. Could you tell me please why is this happening and what part of my pc needs upgrading and if there is a workaround in the ini files without upgrading anything, how?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXdEIWHp5KQ

(I have lightweight addons like skyshards and inventory filtering. And currently just 5 of them are active and all up to date. No heavy addons like master merchant)
Edited by Soris on September 28, 2017 6:47PM
Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about you give us your system specs?
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very old potato pc

i7 870 2.93GHZ
    4GB RAM
    AMD 6570
    64bit

Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF the game played OK at some point in the past, then you have to look at what has changed.

Did you install or change your Anti Virus?
    Turn on Windows Firewall?
    Any new software you installed that wants to load with Windows?

Do a strict clean boot and see if the game plays any better?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Did you ever open the ports on your firewall? Were they ever opened?

Are you using Wireless/WiFi? If yes, get an Ethernet cable, NOW.

Speaking of Routers, are people leached onto your router sucking up your bandwidth?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Soris wrote: »
    Very old potato pc

i7 870 2.93GHZ
    4GB RAM
    AMD 6570
    64bit

@Soris

There's nothing wrong with your processor.

Upgrade to 8GB RAM asap
    Upgrade your video card to an RX550 or better.
    Get an SSD hard drive

Having said that, my game stutters sometimes for no apparent reason and then settles back down. Sometimes apparent (Cyrodiil big fight, Lots of eye candy on the screen / Big fights in Trials)

If I could only do ONE THING $$wise with your build, I would upgrade the RAM asap. I would then bump down to medium video quality, possibly lower.
    Edited by parkham on September 28, 2017 7:09PM

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Greybeards & Gals Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    @Nestor I left the game for about six months. When I came back, my previously very fine computer could not play the game as well as it could when I left. My pure desktop computer still did fine. Just my experience.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nestor No none of this above. I use ethernet already and just my gf using youtube in her tablet. No other people using my internet.

Right now im in craglorn spellscar, killing those monsters and my game is just fine no problems at all. Like i said, only in cities and in cyrodiil i have this problem. And also the first couple seconds in veteran dungeons until it loads everything. Then it becomes just fine
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    dup
    Edited by parkham on September 28, 2017 7:08PM

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @parkham
    The game runs around 800ish mb ram normally and i have left 1 gb of free ram with it. Would adding 4gb of more ram fix this issue really?
    Edited by Soris on September 28, 2017 7:16PM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I don't see how. My ESO uses almost 5GB of RAM when it's running. Not sure how you get away with < 1 GB RAM usage. I'm running everything on high, but still.
    Edited by parkham on September 28, 2017 7:27PM

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5gb? Wow. Max i saw was 1.5-2gb in cyro lots of people around. I use medium to low settings tho.

Btw forgot to add, my game usually uses 100% of disk useage. Dunno what is that means
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The memory is obviously the first thing to upgrade, and it will make a difference. Upgrading the graphics card is probably also essential. You might get away with running the game on the lowest settings but is it worth it? The game is better than that and deserves to be enjoyed - assuming the budget allows it.

People tend to base their expectations on how a game used to run, expecting it to remain the same but forgetting that with every game update comes new content often of a higher quality or depth and which will test borderline systems. That's fine with offline single-player games that remain pretty much as they were with only the odd mod, but online MMOs are constantly evolving and every update imposes new demands on a system. Compare the minimum specs on the back of the original ESO box with that on the later Tamriel Unlimited box and you'll see what I mean - and there have been several updates since then! I believe ZOS update the requirements on the website from time to time so you may want to check that out. I always reckon on aiming for the recommended specs rather than the minimum required ones.

You might also want to ensure that you're using a reasonable OS - Windows 7 or later - and that you have at least 20% of your hard disk free for OS and other requirements. Is that what you mean by 100% disk useage? You should also be using a cabled internet connection, not wireless, for smooth gaming. Lastly, if you're running a borderline system then you probably shouldn't be using some of the game addons and certainly not the trading ones as they are a drag on performance. Any you do use must be updated or disabled whenever there's a game update or it's inviting a performance hit.

When you do upgrade your system I suggest you start on low game settings and gradually tweak them up until you hit the right balance between quality and performance. Doing it the other way and starting on higher settings and then dropping them individually until you hit that balance is never as effective. If you search the forum you will find tips on which settings to keep low in any event for performance optimisation.
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Soris wrote: »
    5gb? Wow. Max i saw was 1.5-2gb in cyro lots of people around. I use medium to low settings tho.

Btw forgot to add, my game usually uses 100% of disk useage. Dunno what is that means

100% disk usage means it's loading and unloading the game in and out of RAM.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    parkham wrote: »
    @Nestor I left the game for about six months. When I came back, my previously very fine computer could not play the game as well as it could when I left. My pure desktop computer still did fine. Just my experience.

@parkham

People have reported that a file can get corrupted over time if you do not play the game, and can result in issues. I wonder if that was it? I think it was one of the shader files but not sure. I have not seen a post on it in months.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    If I may ask, what is your GPU usage and temperature like when running the game?
  • UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely upgrade your RAM. It's not just how much memory the game needs, but also keeping enough available for Windows to do its thing as well. 8GB of RAM is a good general-purpose amount.

Your video card may be a bit underpowered, especially since ESO switched to requiring DirectX 11 to run. Their minimum spec for an AMD graphics card is a 6850 now. (Geforce 460 for Nvidia) Basically, you probably need something with better DX11 performance. A minimum-spec GPU won't get you terribly far on graphics settings, though. The "recommended" spec is now a Radeon 7850 or a GTX 750. Still advisable to be careful on the graphics eye candy settings.
    Edited by UnseenCat on September 29, 2017 12:04PM
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    parkham wrote: »

@parkham

People have reported that a file can get corrupted over time if you do not play the game, and can result in issues. I wonder if that was it? I think it was one of the shader files but not sure. I have not seen a post on it in months.

send us a link?

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you guys, I'm gonna buy 8gb ram(total of 12)next week. We'll see how it pans out
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    @Soris Let us know how it pans out.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your system supports 16GB I'd recommend that. Here's my system resources while running ESO (had to use phone because I could not take a desktop screenshot with the game running). You can see I'm using 10GB of RAM.

phpPSr9.jpg
    tWVoNGr.jpg