The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Really need help picking a main

seipher09
seipher09
✭✭✭✭
So I have come and gone from this game a huge huge amount of times because one reason which is kinda my fault....

I'm 100% a solo player and love soloing dungeons and public dungeons and the questing. So I picked a magika templar. They have nice damage and are really tough to kill with spear spamming. But the spear spam is the most boring skill ever to use over and over so I usually lose interest and leave. I tried a summoner build once but really disliked the familiars a lot and hated using staff as I prefer melee play style.

So other then templar are there any fun builds out there mostly focused on melee gameplay that can still hit as hard as a templar while still having a ton of healing/defence like they do?
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since you already have a Sorc you could try playing him on Stamina. Stamsorcs are great for solo and have in my opinion a very fast and fun play-style. You could either play dual wield/bow or twohander/bow, bother are good options for solo.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka nightblades have a ton of self healing
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your Champion Point level will affect things...if you have a pile, the classes get closer together and weaknesses aren't as pronounced.

I personally like stamina builds for your main issue (repetitive play). I find the staff skills dull, so a magic toon relies on class skills...which usually means 1-2 possible viable builds. I find the weapon skills fun...some people don't...but if these are fun for you, a stamina build can have a lot of variations. I mix up using bow, dual and 2h on all of my stam toons...then class skills can be brought in to further change them up.

Notes on classes in terms of wanting variety focusing on melee:

Stam Warden: this is a great class for this. They have some awesome tools from class skills that make them really versatile. For example, netch gives them major brutality and savagery...with this slotted they can use any weapons they like, even a bow/bow build. I don't personally use bow/bow, but I do have two different dual wield melee attack bars, a 2h setup and a bow attack setup.

Stam DK: This is probably the least viable class for what you want. Their class skills are a lot like the magic skills you find boring, and personally I find this the dullest possible stam class.

Stam Templar: similar comments to warden. The difference is that Templars trade out damage in exchange for powerful heals/resource management. They don't have easy access to major brutality and savagery without relying on specific weapon skills. But repentance offers so much resource return that they more than make up for it, imo. The downside for Templar for you is you're already bored of magplars...this wouldn't be that different. However, because you have an existing Templar you can try stamplar easier by recasting and trying it out. If you love it, roll a new toon approrpoatemto a stam build. If not, recast back to magic and you've only spent a couple thousand gold.

Stam sorc: this is a fun class to play and totally aimed at melee. I love my stam sorc. The downside is that they use only 3-5 class skills, and because they rely so heavily on weapon skills there are fewer variations. But I still have a couple of pretty distinct setups I run mine with.

Stam blade: this is my favorite class. Be aware this is the polar opposite from your Templar, lol. Stamblades give up healing and protective buffs for sneak and incredible dps. For a long time in the game, I played my stamblade and magplar in rotation as two mains...it helped keep things fresh. But stamblades take a while to master, especially for players experienced in other classes. A nightblade will feel very vulnerable to you until you learn it and change your playstyle a bit. But melee blades can be really fun. Where other classes stupidly charge head first into battle (dolts, lol), a melee blade kites and gets around behind enemies, then unloads massive damage and kites off to confuse then reposition. Players have to get this approach if they're going to succeed as a stamblade...fight like a DK and they're awful to play.

Wardens come with a powerful self heal. But the other four classes really benefit from Vigor...nightblades rely on it. It takes 85,000 AP to unlock it...which isn't as bad as it sounds given that keep captures award 6k and resources 1.5k each. If you follow your team around on a busy night and assist retaking territory, you'll unlock it really fast.