The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Warden Healer and dk magicka dps question

djogani
djogani
✭✭
First question I bought Morrowind like a week ago and instantly i made a warden for whom i want to be a healer (magicka healer btw altthough i know warden stamina healer is viable too as i heard). With that in mind i know generic light armor is usually for magicka users but i wanted to make warden healer in full heavy armor and i know i will get health and damage reduction things which is for tanks and not magicka buffs from light armor. Btw at least i did pick up Breton with nice racial magicka buffs to compensate that to some degree so is this build viable? If it is for what role could it fill and for what is it most suitable i mean like pvp, trials, vets and that stuff.

Second question If the answer to the first question is positive i guess the answer to second will be too (i guess again lol). I wanted to make magicka dps dk and to go with dunmer for obvious reasons and awesome fire damage buffs from race and class but AGAIN to wear medium armor which i know boost stamina, sneak etc. which is kinda useless for magicka dps expect maybe weapon damage boost which would count for destro staff.

I know a little unotrhodox builds in mind but im kinda sick of generic builds and would like to know are those viable or i would be jack of all trades which i kinda dont like but ah well......

Thx for answers ina dvance.

Best Answer

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warden healer in heavy armor, assuming you have the resource pool to do the healing you want it to, will be most viable in group dungeons and PVP. The heavy armor is probably unnecessary in dungeons (except perhaps to boost you health higher for certain warden skills), unless you want to run a healer/tank, which wardens do very well. If you want to go pure healer, I do suggest light armor or a 5light/1med/1heavy mix for the undaunted passive. The general idea here is that nearly any build will work in a normal dungeon. Veteran dungeons put more pressure on the healer, so if you try veteran dungeons and find yourself pressured for resources, you can make changes like using magicka regen enchantments or switching to a few pieces of light armor.

In PVP, having a tanky healer can be lots of fun. I've got a magDK healer who's tanky enough to be the last one standing (and then I die because I can't kill anyone :) )

As for trials, most trials groups run two healers with light armor. Preferred sets are spell power cure, sanctuary, worm's raiment, and healing mage. The focus there is on buffing the group and keeping everyone topped off with healing for SPC procs. I'm sure others who run trials can give you a better idea of viability for a heavy armor healer in trials, but my gut instict is that its not the build trial groups are looking for.

As for the medium armor Dunmer DK using magicka...well, sunderflame sounds like a good medium armor set for that. However, the flame staff damage will scale with spell damage, not weapon damage. Honestly, the medium armor isn't going to do anything for the magicka, so if I were doing this as a hybrid build, I'd probably go DW/Destro. Destro Staff gives the nice AOEs from Wall of Elements and more flame spells, where the Dual Wield gives me the weapons to take advantage of those nice armor buffs. As for viability, it'd be fine in normal dungeons, probably fine in vet dungeons, and whether or not you could hit trials-level DPS is more dependent on your skill with the rotation than it is on the build itself. I don't know how satisfying this would be to play, but it sounds like a really interesting build.

My general rule of thumb for viability is:
    1. Any build can work in a normal dungeon, assuming you know what you are doing. It will probably work even if you don't know what you are doing.
    2. Any build can work in a veteran dungeon, assuming you know what you are doing. But you do, in fact, have to know what you are doing.
    3. Any build can work in PVP because player skill can compensate for a lot of weakness and lack of skill can take an amazing build and fail with it. Just be prepared to die. A lot. It happens to the best and the worst of us alike. Know what you want to do out there in Cyrodiil/Battlegrounds and practice until you can do what you want to do.
    4. The trials meta for tanks and healers is pretty established, though there are always exceptions to the rule. Determining DPS viability tends to depend more on your DPS count than your actual playstyle, subject to the requirements of the trial group. Personally, I've found that DPS counts are more about how well you can do your rotation to squeeze every bit of effective DPS out of it. The best bet for determining viability for trials is to join a trials group or guild and judge off of the standards of the people you'll actually be running with since guild standards for trials do vary.
    Answer ✓
  • Dakmor_Kavu
    Dakmor_Kavu
    ✭✭✭
    Warden healer here. For most stuff you'll benefit more from the magika boost from light armor. A number of things scale off max resource so more magika is a plus for that, and as a warden you have so much raw healing output that survivability if never really an issue on 4 man content be it normal or vet.

For trials you'll want light 100% to maximize the benefits you can provide to the group and your tank and team should be coordinated enough to help mitigate the damage you take as a healer.

Heavy armor will serve you well in PvP though. I use it both in cyrodil and battlegrounds and between the healing output and protection from heavy armor you can be very very hard to take down.
    Edited by Dakmor_Kavu on September 28, 2017 7:03PM