The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

PTS Update 16 - Feedback Thread for Transmutation

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for Transmutation. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
  • Were you able to easily find the Transmutation Station?
  • Did you successfully obtain the new currency, Transmutation Crystals?
  • Was the interface easy to understand when transmutating a piece of equipment?
  • Was it clear that you needed to have your target trait researched?
  • Did you purchase a Transmutation Station from the Master Writ Merchant to put in your home?
  • Was it clear when an item had been successfully transmutated?
  • Do you have any other general feedback?
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not played the PTS yet, but this patch note concerns me:

Transmute Crystals are an account wide, capped currency which cannot be banked or traded.

What if our crafter, who knows the traits, is not the one who runs the dungeons? Are we going to be required to learn traits on our non crafting characters in order to transmute?

EDIT Dev Response Below
    The Transmute Crystal is an account-wide currency, and can be used by any character on your account. If your crafting character is not the same as the one with a piece of equipment you wish to transmute, you can transfer the item to them, change the trait, and pass it back through your bank.

Edited by Nestor on September 18, 2017 10:12PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Joshua261
    Joshua261
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Transmute Crystals are an account wide, capped currency which cannot be banked or traded.

What if our crafter, who knows the traits, is not the one who runs the dungeons? Are we going to be required to learn traits on our non crafting characters in order to transmute?

I have to agree with this. My crafter is just that, i don't do any dungeons or trials on him and this could cause some serious issues.
    Joshua Doom- Imperial Templar
    Mr Altmer- High elf sorcerer
    Silent Destroyer- Khajiit nightblade
    Heals-with-scales- Argonian Templar
    Cat Sorc-- Khajiit sorcerer
    The poison expert- Imperial Dragonknight
    Templar Destroyer- High Elf Templar
    Nooby Warden- High Elf Warden
    Poisonous Noob- Redguard Dragonknight
    Death-by-Magicka- Dark Elf Nightblade
    Sinisterblade- Redguard Warden
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is a hefty concern of mine too, only one character knows all traits. I play a lot of characters at this point that will undoubtedly gain these crystals, without the ability to bank them it's wasted space and potential. I don't play my crafting toon every time I sign in.

Waiting to hear what they and others say about this, as I was looking forward to this system for a long time.
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely need a clarification on this question @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom!
    PC-NA
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is indeed concerning.

Also, can anyone on PTS tell us how many crystals it takes for a trait change?

And can @ZOS_GinaBruno define "occasionally" in this instance? Because that's incredibly vague.
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you buy these crystals with tel var?
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Enodoc mentioned they might be account wide like crowns, so they cannot be banked but you'd be able to use them on any character anyway.

If that's the case then I am relieved and looking forward to the system.
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • Eddyble
    Eddyble
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps its a currency similar to crowns, a category of its own in a separate or new part of the ui? I'm at work and will DL PTS this evening but couldn't resist checking notes. As others have said, this could benefit from more detail please.
    Eddyb1e - Xbox One - NA
    Eddyble - PC - NA
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So do these not go into the crafting bag?
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I take it "account wide" means they will be accessible from any character.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on September 18, 2017 7:44PM
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do have a problem with the mechanics of this and will probably be in the minority, but in keeping with the crafting requirements when you research an unknown trait you destroy the equipment.
    So the requirements to retrait should be to know the traits being removed and added or there would be a risk of the equipment being destroyed
  • Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    It sounds to me like they exist on your account like crowns, which also can't be banked or traded, but as long as you earn them on one character, your other characters will have access to them (again, like crowns). It doesn't make sense to limit the availability of stones just to those characters who run the veteran content, as many players have dedicated crafters who don't run veteran content.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were you able to easily find the Transmutation Station?
    - Yes. The one in CWC aswell as the one on Rolis.

Did you successfully obtain the new currency, Transmutation Crystals?
    - No. Didnt try yet, also was at 199/200 on template char.

Was the interface easy to understand when transmutating a piece of equipment?
    - Yes.

Was it clear that you needed to have your target trait researched?
    - Yes. But i knew that already, and would have assumed it.

Did you purchase a Transmutation Station from the Master Writ Merchant to put in your home?
    - No. My "NA"-chars seem to be homeless ;)

Was it clear when an item had been successfully transmutated?
    - Yes.

Do you have any other general feedback?

- The currency cap feels to low, compared on how much a transmuttion costs (max 5 itmes in a row).

- The Station from Rolis feels far to expensive, judged by "how much time will it save me to travel to my home instead of to cwc" and "how long will it take me to get 1250 vouchers".

- The price for transmuting and the currency feel...wrong and exploitable. It feels to easy to transmute a bunch of trash-items to nirnhoned to sell for research. Edit: stuff gets bound on transmute, so that wont work. Otoh, it costs 40/200 per transmutation, not being able to transmute a full gearset in a row, doesnt feel right either. Also, with a cap inplace, it feels like u have to transmute items every once in a while, so u dont waste stones, even if u dont need to.

Edited by eso_nya on September 19, 2017 9:53AM
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you buy these crystals with tel var?

That would be an awesome idea!
  • Astraous
    Astraous
    ✭✭

You quoted account-wide and yet somehow ignored it.

The implication of something being account-wide is that it can be accessed by your entire account.

Mounts are account-wide, costumes are account-wide, crowns are account-wide, why do you think this means anything other than what it said? Of course you won't have to learn the traits on other characters because you can just use the account-wide currency on your crafter.

This isn't just a reply to you but almost the entire front page that seemed to forget what that term meant.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Astraous wrote: »

The implication of something being account-wide is that it can be accessed by your entire account.

Mounts are account-wide, costumes are account-wide, crowns are account-wide, why do you think this means anything other than what it said? Of course you won't have to learn the traits on other characters because you can just use the account-wide currency on your crafter.

This isn't just a reply to you but almost the entire front page that seemed to forget what that term meant.

I mean, what you say makes sense. It is confusing the way it's worded. It must act like crowns rather than AP or master writs (which are account wide by being bankable).
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

it really does read as if these are somehow locked to a specific character but it also says account wide without any clarification....perhaps words aren't what's needed but patch notes should use pictures and gifs @ZOS_GinaBruno
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One would hope that is what it means.

However, no currency in the game can be used by a character, unless that currency is in the character's inventory. Crowns are the only exception, but these are not something that is earned in the game, but paid for in an interface outside of the game then applied to the account.

So, some clarification is needed on this statement me and other people are concerned about.

• Astraous
    Astraous
    ✭✭

One would hope that is what it means.

However, no currency in the game can be used by a character, unless that currency is in the character's inventory. Crowns are the only exception, but these are not something that is earned in the game, but paid for in an interface outside of the game then applied to the account.

So, some clarification is needed on this statement me and other people are concerned about.

No other currency is defined as account-wide.
  • ZOS_Bel_Shezzar
    ZOS_Bel_Shezzar
    ✭✭✭
    The Transmute Crystal is an account-wide currency, and can be used by any character on your account. If your crafting character is not the same as the one with a piece of equipment you wish to transmute, you can transfer the item to them, change the trait, and pass it back through your bank.
    Chris Balser
    Systems Team - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Staff Post
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why can't we transmute the style?
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the clarification.

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rex-Umbra wrote: »
    Why can't we transmute the style?

@Rex-Umbra That's transmog, and is said to being worked on and will come in a later update. They are different systems.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question for those on PTS - does transmuting an item bind it to you?
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso_nya wrote: »
    It feels to easy to transmute a bunch of trash-items to nirnhoned to sell for research.
    Transmuted items are bound, so not sellable. They are also not researchable. Although I didn't try it yet, I suspect that a transmuted-to-Nirnhoned item will not yield Nirncrux upon decon.

Transmutation applies an overriding trait to the item--it does not alter the underlying item trait (which would require altering the item ID).

Jaeysa wrote: »
    Question for those on PTS - does transmuting an item bind it to you?
    Yes.
    Edited by code65536 on September 18, 2017 10:26PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, on the PTS, I noticed that the UI for my transmutation crystals said "xxx/200".

Why is the "/200" there? Is that a limit on the number of crystals that we can have? If so, why would such a limit exist, esp. when it costs 40 gems to transmute an item? We can only save up enough to transmute 5 items?!
    Edited by code65536 on September 18, 2017 10:21PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Transmuting on PTS requires 40 of the transmutation crystals per item you wan to transmute.

2. The transmutation process make the item bound to you.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1250 vouchers...?

Please tell me I read that wrong.

That is EXTREMELY restrictive to those that cannot or do not want to get the DLC.
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    WHY DOES IT TAKE 40 TO RETRAIT!!! That is way to much, can we cut it down to 20, even then that is still a lot. Otherwise why the hell are these crystals stuck to our character? Many people's crafters are Just the first character they made and never really use
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hollery wrote: »
    WHY DOES IT TAKE 40 TO RETRAIT!!! That is way to much, can we cut it down to 20, even then that is still a lot. Otherwise why the hell are these crystals stuck to our character? Many people's crafters are Just the first character they made and never really use

Any of your characters can use the crystals...