Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A humble Orc asking for a favor

Ghettokid
Ghettokid
✭✭✭✭✭
It's been a while(atleast in orc-years) since I've last visited Tamriel. Before my possible comeback I still have one important task to do. The baccalaureate of english. Success in that will measure my value as an orc and thats why I'm willing to take help from native english speakers even from the inferior races like nords.

So I want to gather some very important, respected idioms and phrases used in english. Something that you maybe rarely hear foreigners saying so I can impress the orc-jury. Tell me also most common grammar mistakes in your language with example sentences . But to give this more context value, transform all these phrases to fit the Elder scrolls universe. Thank you!
Edited by Ghettokid on September 13, 2017 8:01PM
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Yet the wicked and foolish are not doomed, for in their infinite mercies, the Nine have said, "Repent, and do Good Works, and the Fountains of Grace shall once more spill forth upon you." — The Ten Commands of the Nine Divines

What kind of places do you plan on visiting?
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The order of words in a sentence often catches out those of an alien tongue. For example, someone may want to buy a lockpick for nefarious purposes, and may wrongly ask "Someone can sell me a lockpick" when really they mean "Can someone sell me a lockpick?" Manners are always important to those races you consider inferior, so "please" should also be added to such a request.

You may also want to research the proper use of apostrophes, if you are to achieve success in your aims.

Good luck with the orc-jury!
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    an orc is a slightly better version of a goblin, by the skin of their teeth...thankfully most of them though are very down to earth...

although it is a piece of cake for most khajits, it really seems like orcs just need to lighten up, and, learn to relax...

i'm sure that orc must have thought it was for the birds to bath every few weeks or so, but, when pressed about orc hygiene all they kept replying was that they plead the fifth...
    Edited by geonsocal on September 13, 2017 8:00PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    The order of words in a sentence often catches out those of an alien tongue. For example, someone may want to buy a lockpick for nefarious purposes, and may wrongly ask "Someone can sell me a lockpick" when really they mean "Can someone sell me a lockpick?" Manners are always important to those races you consider inferior, so "please" should also be added to such a request.

You may also want to research the proper use of apostrophes, if you are to achieve success in your aims.

Thanks for pointing out misspelled words. I consider myself as a pretty good english-speaker(compared to other finns) so I'm kinda embarrassed about making those kind of mistakes.
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    an orc is a slightly better version of a goblin, by the skin of their teeth...thankfully most of them though are very down to earth...

although it is a piece of cake for most khajits, it really seems like orcs just need to lighten up, and, learn to relax...

i'm sure that orc must have thought it was for the birds to bath every few weeks or so, but, when pressed about orc hygiene all they kept replying was that they plead the fifth...

I know I will find usage for these! Thanks pal!
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's a really good resource for phrases:
    http://www.fluentu.com/blog/english/essential-english-idioms/

it's funny - out of context, these phrases would seriously be a wtf are you talking about situation...

seeing how orcs are best at all things - i'm sure you'll absolutely kill it :)

0f6608255d1f547ff1264e333d1cedd5--character-portraits-character-art.jpg

PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Orc calls himself "humble" = wants something from you
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ghettokid wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »

Thanks for pointing out misspelled words. I consider myself as a pretty good english-speaker(compared to other finns) so I'm kinda embarrassed about making those kind of mistakes.

Ask me to repeat that in your native language and I'll show you what embarrassment really is :wink: !
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here are some important and very respectable idioms for you. Also poetic.

Scoot your patoot: to move fast or try to accomplish something quickly; to "move your butt"

Example: "You'd better scoot your patoot if you want to get to that treasure chest before that sprinting Orc."

Cruisin' for a bruisin': doing something that one should reasonably expect to be beat up or otherwise punished for, but doing it anyway

Example: "That scrawny elf is cruisin' for a bruisin' if he doesn't stop flirting with that surly lady Orc."

Snug as a bug in a rug: very cozy and comfortable

Example: "I was snug as a bug in a rug in my longhouse during that last blizzard."

Dumb as a box of rocks: really dumb

Example: "Nargog is dumb as a box of rocks, but you don't need brains to swing an axe like he does."

Disclaimer: Use of these idioms not guaranteed to impress someone in a formal setting
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Runschei
    Runschei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no Brit or American, but I know a very important saying from Norway

"Hello on the toilet!" and the reply "Good bye on the bathroom you old chocolate!"
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Runschei wrote: »

"Hello on the toilet!" and the reply "Good bye on the bathroom you old chocolate!"

Really....? :D
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    Here are some important and very respectable idioms for you. Also poetic.

Scoot your patoot: to move fast or try to accomplish something quickly; to "move your butt"

Example: "You'd better scoot your patoot if you want to get to that treasure chest before that sprinting Orc."

Cruisin' for a bruisin': doing something that one should reasonably expect to be beat up or otherwise punished for, but doing it anyway

Example: "That scrawny elf is cruisin' for a bruisin' if he doesn't stop flirting with that surly lady Orc."

Snug as a bug in a rug: very cozy and comfortable

Example: "I was snug as a bug in a rug in my longhouse during that last blizzard."

Dumb as a box of rocks: really dumb

Example: "Nargog is dumb as a box of rocks, but you don't need brains to swing an axe like he does."

Disclaimer: Use of these idioms not guaranteed to impress someone in a formal setting
    Thanks!

Lol :smiley:

• Runschei
    Runschei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chufu wrote: »

Really....? :D

As weird as it sounds, yes. It is a very known saying here in Norway :lol: