The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Anyone Still Using Viper?

EdmundTowers
EdmundTowers
✭✭✭
So viper got changed to damage over time last patch. Anyone still using it? I'm guessing nightblades have all dropped it because they need burst and not damage over time. It needed to be changed as it was too strong anyways. However, I have a bunch of Viper gear and I want to know if I should just decon it all or if there is a class with niche build that can still make use of Viper. Or are other sets just better options now?
Co GM of Imperium of the Eagle, PvP Guild NA PC, ~Aldmeri Dominion~
Tyrael Allynna Aldmeri Magplar
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viper is still good. Same DPS all round. In fact it opens up for other insane OP combos, which was not there before. Such as Viper+Poisonous Serpent (that one is nasty, trust me). But you are right, in that since it no longer provides front-loaded burst, it has been abandoned by many people.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ran it on my DW DoT build, it gave me another DoT to proc skoria from. So it changed in the way I can use it but doesn't vanished completely from my radar. Still neat. As I think of it, I barely run any DoTs outside of hurricane and enchantment effects on 2h/X on my Sorc, maybe PI if I slot a bow, so even there it could fill a hole.
    Keep in mind that it is still one of the few unavoidable dmg sets. Way of the Fire comes to mind as a second. Have to think about if there are any more.
  • Purdomination33
    Purdomination33
    ✭✭✭
    As OP mentioned I think it is still useful but the application has changed. sDK's, sSorcs and whoever else rocks heavy armor can get good use of it. Fact that it procs Skoria adds another dimension as well.

Tried it on my sDK this morning but did not get into enough fights to make much of a judgement. What I have never liked from Viper as a DK is the lack of Stamina in the 2-4 traits. There isn't a good Stam-heavy heavy set to pair with it. Especially if you use Skoria.

But I can see potential just need to test more.
    Mediocre AD StamDK.
    BiS wine drinker.
    Award winning dog owner.
    Disappointing husband.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As far as proc blades go, Viper + Poisonous Serpent + Selene can really hurt, since it applies A LOT of pressure on top of the standard NB damage kit. Not as bursty as before, but frankly, just as strong when used properly.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It also still works well enough in PvE when you or your group is taking on dungeon/world bosses. It adds another level of DoT to help increase damage given. One of the annoying things about a lot of bosses is their near insta healing abilities. Viper along with points in the defile star in champ points helps cut down on a bosses, (or anyone's) healing.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • KingJ
    KingJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as proc blades go, Viper + Poisonous Serpent + Selene can really hurt, since it applies A LOT of pressure on top of the standard NB damage kit. Not as bursty as before, but frankly, just as strong when used properly.
    I have to test it but don't want to but if Posion serpent still double proc off of DW heavies it could potentially be more boost than before.

Nirn Axes with Blood craze viper and double poison serpent proc on top of a heaby surprise attack would be strong nice.
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, moved away from viper. viper proced before around 2k and now it was around 400 in my fights (fight log). Even with 56 cp in thaumaturge.
    PC/EU
    Loveknight - HybridDK (4*), Stahlstrahlenreiter - StamDen, Azgul Grahl Bashrugk - HybridSorc (5*), Tínúvíél - StamCro, Thógard - StamPlar
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want a DoT set, you're better off with Sheer Venom as it provides much, much better 2-4 set bonuses and a longer duration DoT that can be procced from range with PI. You only need 5 pieces on one bar as well, as it procs from the first tick (so you can keep 5x on DW bar and swap to it after applying PI as you'd usually do).
    KingJ wrote: »
    I have to test it but don't want to but if Posion serpent still double proc off of DW heavies it could potentially be more boost than before.

Nirn Axes with Blood craze viper and double poison serpent proc on top of a heaby surprise attack would be strong nice.

Poisonous Serpent has a 1s cooldown to it, it can't proc twice from DW heavy.
    Edited by DDuke on September 8, 2017 4:06PM
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭
    dont deconstruct it. done that often in past and then comes a patch or new perspective and you say damn.
    PC/EU
    Loveknight - HybridDK (4*), Stahlstrahlenreiter - StamDen, Azgul Grahl Bashrugk - HybridSorc (5*), Tínúvíél - StamCro, Thógard - StamPlar
  • Toast_STS
    Toast_STS
    ✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »
    If you want a DoT set, you're better off with Sheer Venom as it provides much, much better 2-4 set bonuses and a longer duration DoT that can be procced from range with PI. You only need 5 pieces on one bar as well, as it procs from the first tick (so you can keep 5x on DW bar and swap to it after applying PI as you'd usually do).

Yeah, but you got to wait 2 seconds before swapping bars if you only have sheer venom on the bow bar. Otherwise it won't proc if you swap before the first DoT tick.

VR14 DK Leaps-in-keeps
  • EdmundTowers
    EdmundTowers
    ✭✭✭
    *looks up poisonous serpent set*
    Where to find: Hel Ra Citadel - one of the two 12 player trials introduced with Craglorn.
    Notes: This set is bind-on-pickup

Dang it, I have enough trouble getting 3 other people to grind for gear in regular 4 man dungeons....
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Toast_STS wrote: »
    DDuke wrote: »

Yeah, but you got to wait 2 seconds before swapping bars if you only have sheer venom on the bow bar. Otherwise it won't proc if you swap before the first DoT tick.

Oh, I meant the other way around (though you can also run it only on bow bar as long as you wait those 2 seconds). I run 5 pieces on melee bar only in order to get 4 Hundings pieces while on bow (and thus some more crits on PI ticks).
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No. It's a bad set in PvP, and anyone still using it should change to Spriggan's, Bone Pirate, Fury, or Hunding's.

There's a reason Sheer Venom and Vicecannon are also seldom used. Viper was getting 511 damage ticks against light armor targets in my tests at the start of the patch. PvP is a burst game. No.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC's original dueling and PvP community guild
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. It's a bad set in PvP, and anyone still using it should change to Spriggan's, Bone Pirate, Fury, or Hunding's.

There's a reason Sheer Venom and Vicecannon are also seldom used. Viper was getting 511 damage ticks against light armor targets in my tests at the start of the patch. PvP is a burst game. No.

Sheer Venom is quite nice actually, it basicly "doubles" the amount of pressure your PI creates pre-execute and also doubles the chances of proccing Poisoned status effect. 2-4 set bonuses also heavily add to your burst (as a whole, the set only provides 41 less weapon dmg than Hunding's, which is widely used).

The 5-set also adds to your burst phase, as that DoT benefits from Incap's +20% and starts ticking for around 700-800.

I've never been much of a fan of Viper though, those two crit bonuses aren't very good for burst.
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, Players that died before the nerf to viper still die after the nerf to viper, but now you got a few extra seconds to throw in a /laugh emote for maximum salt.
  • EdmundTowers
    EdmundTowers
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering with did all the eternal hunt, viper, selenes nightblades switch to. Did they just swap out viper for spriggans and keep the build the same or are they running something totally different now? Also, any DK's or Stamsorcs still playing the heavy armor, viper, tremorscale build? Does that still work?
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering with did all the eternal hunt, viper, selenes nightblades switch to. Did they just swap out viper for spriggans and keep the build the same or are they running something totally different now? Also, any DK's or Stamsorcs still playing the heavy armor, viper, tremorscale build? Does that still work?

Procsets are far from dead. The single strongest no cp build in the game, is IMO still a Stamsorc with RM/WoF/Troll and some other secret stuff mixed in there.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, moved away from viper. viper proced before around 2k and now it was around 400 in my fights (fight log). Even with 56 cp in thaumaturge.

thx to your thread, i actually checked it again. it has 5 dmg ticks per attack each round 400 dmg. So it still is like 2k in all. i think with 56 cp in thaumaturge its each around 500 but im not sure about this. But it never was in my top 2 dmging attacks since nerve. I will give it a try in duels again for further testing but for cyro im using werewolf hide now and very happy with it. So thx again for your thread.
    PC/EU
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭

you dont need to be tank for tremor. its just the sword and shield attack you need. in pvp the taunting as this is irrelevant.
    PC/EU
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's trash now unless you're running a niche build that takes advantage of the DoT aspect.

• silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭
    tested viper now exessivly in duels, it just comes not above 150-200dps, my most dmging attack is about 400 dps in longer fights. Its a nice addition to the dps but i think i will not use it anymore. As i said for cyrodiil im using wwhide set now.
    PC/EU
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried Viper + Shacklebreaker + Selene + Maelstrom 2h axe on a stamsorc

It's fun ^^
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vice (bow)/Viper (2h) /Veli
    Disease enchant on bow
    Damage health poison on 2h

Dont know but in BG it works quite well.
    Edited by Vanzen on September 14, 2017 8:01AM
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viper is great atleast for my build (hvy stam NB) . Around 15-20% dmg increase for one 5 piece bonus. No other set comes close for me
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭
    another idea would be to use it together with morag tong. can someone tell if and how morag tong works together with viper?
    PC/EU
  • Arantesovelha
    Arantesovelha
    ✭✭✭

I'm using automaton+hundings+ veli/kragh

Good for ganking, but my recovery is a shame
  • inked1
    inked1
    ✭✭✭
    Spriggans, Hundings, 1veli 1 kena
    No regen no health no recovery
    Pure gank
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭
    another idea would be to use it together with morag tong. can someone tell if and how morag tong works together with viper?

to be honest my overall dps drops by about 100 when i use another set, so i still use it in duels, but once i found a better alternative, i change. gonna try bones pirate for duels, but have to farm first.
    PC/EU
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Viper is just a worse, stamina version, of overwhelming surge now. It's still decent and I like having another viable dot on 2h builds. The pressure is definitely still noticeable and I think it's best suited for stam sorc since they get the most benefit from the 2-4pc bonus.

It's simply no longer the unequivocal BiS for all stam builds seeking damage

• DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Viper is just a worse, stamina version, of overwhelming surge now. It's still decent and I like having another viable dot on 2h builds. The pressure is definitely still noticeable and I think it's best suited for stam sorc since they get the most benefit from the 2-4pc bonus.

It's simply no longer the unequivocal BiS for all stam builds seeking damage

idk, I never saw it as BiS - Poisonous Serpent always did the same job, but better:
    • 1s cooldown=potential for even more burst dmg
    • more dmg/proc
    • could be procced it with bow light attacks
    • better 2-4 set bonuses

etc.

I think the main reason more people didn't use Poisonous Serpent instead is because it's much more difficult to farm :p

Anyway, both sets are nerfed now so this is all irrelevant ^^
    Edited by DDuke on September 15, 2017 3:21PM