Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Polish special letter "ą" erases entire text in game chat

Gargath
Gargath
✭✭✭✭✭
Every time we use this letter while writing in our native language, it makes entire text disappear.
None from other Polish special characters like ę, ó, ł, ć, ź, ż etc. doesn't do it, so the issue seems rather simple.
Could you please investigate and amend this little inconvenience please?
Letter "ą" - "a" with a right-bottom tail, made by the combination of keys ALT+A on keyboard :)
@ZOS_GinaBruno
PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    @Gargath Are you using a European keyboard?
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

In Poland the standard is QWERTY Polish programmer's keyboard - pls. find description here.

I hope it helps.

PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭
    Polish diacritic characters are obtained with right alt and the character of choice. The thing is that right alt is mapped as ctrl+alt (so you can use left ctrl+alt+key as well). What happens when you press right alt and "a" to produce "ą" is: ctrl+a+alt (which is treated just as ctrl+a - "select all" shortcut), then "ą" appears, overwriting all the selected text. The solution should be fairly simple. Right now "select all" seems to be something like "((keys & VK_CTRL) && (keys & VK_A)" while it should be something like (keys == (VK_CTRL | VK_A)).

BTW. You can input Polish diacritics using the "old" method. Shift+tilde (~), release keys (nothing appears yet), then press the key you want to get diacritic for (A in this case, producing ą). Pretty much no one uses this method nowadays :D .
    Edited by tommalmm on September 6, 2017 4:14PM
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm afraid that described above solutions don't work properly on my keyboard.
    I'd be happy if the problem is solved by ZOS, especially that it already got @ZOS_JessicaFolsom 's attention :).
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proper utf8 support can be a pain if the programmers don't know what they're doing.

I've seen this way too many times.
    dry.gif

PS: If you are a developer and you're thinking about storing data in a database, please use utf8mb4 as the character set for your tables. The 95% of the world who don't speak your language will thank you.
    Edited by SirAndy on September 12, 2017 5:10PM
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [delete]
    Edited by maboleth on September 13, 2017 12:35AM
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    @Gargath We've got a bug in for this now. We don't have an ETA on a fix, but we are looking at it.
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many thanks for letting us know.
    The Polish community will be grateful for a fix, even if it has to wait some time.
    B)
  • selse
    selse
    Soul Shriven
    Bumping- it's been five months, any update on this issue? It's really a pain, having to remember about not writing one of a pretty common letters.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tommalmm wrote: »
    Polish diacritic characters are obtained with right alt and the character of choice. The thing is that right alt is mapped as ctrl+alt (so you can use left ctrl+alt+key as well). What happens when you press right alt and "a" to produce "ą" is: ctrl+a+alt (which is treated just as ctrl+a - "select all" shortcut), then "ą" appears, overwriting all the selected text. The solution should be fairly simple. Right now "select all" seems to be something like "((keys & VK_CTRL) && (keys & VK_A)" while it should be something like (keys == (VK_CTRL | VK_A)).

BTW. You can input Polish diacritics using the "old" method. Shift+tilde (~), release keys (nothing appears yet), then press the key you want to get diacritic for (A in this case, producing ą). Pretty much no one uses this method nowadays :D .

TIL!!!!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forget about this, they're never gonna fix that.
    I know it's annoying as hell, but you need to get used to it...
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a little more trust, I believe it's a still a chance for @ZOS_JessicaFolsom 's affirmative announcement some day :).
  • Pr0boszcz
    Pr0boszcz
    Soul Shriven
    @Gargath We've got a bug in for this now. We don't have an ETA on a fix, but we are looking at it.

Hello, a new player here.

I started playing ESO a few days ago and immediately encountered the issue, it's now been over a year since the "bug was confirmed" - at this point is there really any hope for a fix? It simply looks that pressing right ALT is actually pressing ALT + CTRL - surely not a big thing to fix, is it? Or maybe so few people complain that it's considered a non issue? Or maybe it was completely forgotten?

It's really annoying when it wipes your whole chat textbox and also weird to see the character go to sneak mode (or exit it if you're sneaking) when you enter the inventory with right ALT.

Personally I consider this a quite serious issue and after looking at the old patch notes I think the other minor fixes introduced in the past year have been definitely less significant.
  • Phex
    Phex
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately this is unlikely to be fixed. It's nice that it was at least seen by someoneone. And it's doubly nice that someone explain the specifics of the issue and what causes it. But it's now been two years since this post has been posted, and the issue has most likely been part of the game from release. I'm guessing the issue would either take too much effort to fix or there simply aren't enough people for whom that is an issue.
    That said, devs, those of us for whom it is an issue would really appreciate it being fixed. It's very dispiriting to write a long paragraph in chat only to have it all get deleted because you forgot you cannot use a letter that is normal and common in your language.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I already forgot about this, nice that someone still keeps an eye on the problem. If they started looking in September 2017, it's a chance to fix it before next decade :blush: .
  • slickygm
    slickygm
    ✭✭
    Oh my. I've noticed this has been actually fixed. I don't know when exactly (recent two months probably? I've been offline for a while), but it seems to work just fine now.

Thanks.

//yeah, I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I'm just impressed :D
    Edited by slickygm on May 28, 2019 10:44PM