Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

My Magicka Templar build for Horns of the Reach (PvE)

Blackbird_V
Blackbird_V
✭✭✭✭✭
This has 2 setups. The first one is very time consuming, but fancy and deals great damage, and gives you some major sustain.

The Moondancer: This build to set up can take major grinding in Maw of Lorkhaj. If you do decide to farm this place, I REALLY recommend Treasure Hunter Passive.
This build has some major sustain to it with Lunar Blessing; it also has some major burn damage potential with the Shadow Blessing. Each blessing lasts 30 WHOLE seconds. Also, if you do not have the blessing you'd like, pick up another synergy and hope.

Breakdown of Moondancer:
Max Magicka - Adds decent spell power and sustain.
Minor Slayer - 5% damage boost to all adds/bosses in dungeons (delves, trials, dungeons, public dungeons, maelstrom arena, dragonstar arena)
Spell Damage - I mean who doesn't like that.
Activating a synergy gives either Shadow Blessing (448 spell damage. Yup!) or Lunar Blessing (448 Magicka Regen. Yup!)

Build #1: The Moondancer
All traits: Divines.
Armour Glyphs: Magicka
Weapon #1 Glyph: Weapon & Spell Damage
Weapon #2 Glyph: Shock
Jewellery Glyphs: Spell Damage

Helm: Maw of the Infernal/Valkyn Skoria/Illambris
Shoulders: Maw of the Infernal/Valkyn Skoria/Illambris
Chest: Mothers Sorrow
Gloves: Mothers Sorrow
Belt: Mothers Sorrow
Legs: Mothers Sorrow
Feet: Mothers Sorrow
Necklace: Moondancer
Rings:Moondancer
Sword #1: Moondancer - Precise
Sword #2 Moondancer - Sharpened/Precise/Nirnhoned
Backbar: Maelstrom/Moondancer Lightning Staff - Sharpened/Precise/Nirnhoned

Build #2: Julie's Mother (cannot think of a decent build name):

Shoulders: Maw of the Infernal/Valkyn Skoria/IllambrisChest: Law of Julianos
Gloves: Mothers Sorrow
Belt: Mothers Sorrow
Legs: Law of Julianos
Feet: Law of Julianos
Necklace: Mothers Sorrow
Rings:Mother's Sorrow
Sword #1: Law of Julianos - Sharpened
Sword #2 Law of Julianos - Nirnhoned
Backbar: Maelstrom/Julianos Lightning Staff - Sharpened/Precise/Nirnhoned

Build #3 Julianos + Moondancer:

Chest: Law of Julianos
Gloves: Law of Julianos
Belt: Law of Julianos
Necklace: Moondancer
Rings: Moondancer
Sword #1: Moondancer - Sharpened/Precise
Sword #2: Moondancer - Precise/Nirnhoned
Backbar: Maelstrom/Lightning Staff - Sharpened/Precise/Nirnhoned

Build 4: War Maiden + Julianos.

Chest: Law of Julianos
Gloves: Law of Julianos
Belt: Law of Julianos
Necklace: War Maiden
Rings: War Maiden
Sword #1: War Maiden - Sharpened
Sword #2: War Maiden - Precise
Backbar: Maelstrom/Lightning Staff - Sharpened/Precise/Nirnhoned

Wahh infused BIS backbar!! If you REALLY want to use it - go for it.

Reason for Maw of the Infernal: From HotR Patch Notes:
Any monster summoned by an Item Set proc now inherits any bonuses you have. The most notable bonuses are damage done and healing done from passive abilities, Major/Minor buffs, or the Champion System.
so yep, op. Hits like a truck.
If you don't want to use it, then I'd Suggest Valkyn Skoria - it outpreforms grothdarr. Haters be haters, it does now. avg 1.3-1.6k DPS range on skoria vs target dummy 3m. Also can proc burning as well. Grothdarr for me is average 800-900. Also it looks like a more messed up Sloth from the Goonies. 10/10 gross. I'm gay, trust me on aesthetics and fashion.

Spells:
Bar 1: Purifying Light, Vampires Bane/Reflective Light, Puncturing Sweeps, Radiant Oppression, Inner Light. Ultimate: Shooting Star.
Bar 2: Trap Beast, Elemental Blockade, Harness Magicka, Blazing Spear, Inner Light. Ultimate: Elemental Rage

Image of how they look:
coflL8B.png?1

Rotation:
Start off backbar: Rearming Trap | Light Attack | Elemental Blockage | Light Attack| Blazing Spear | Light Attack ===> Front Bar ===>
===> Purifying Light | Light Attack | Vampires Bane/Reflective Light | Sweeps | Light Attack | Sweeps | Light Attack | Reflective Light (ONLY if you have this morph, if using Vampires bane, skip)
===> Repeat from backbar.

If you have ultimate, use it straight away, then use meteor from thereout, unless you forget, then use destro ultimate if it's there.

Champion Points:
Red Tree:
The Lady:
49 Thick Skinned
49 Hardy
49 Elemental Defender
The Steed:
49 Ironclad
24 Spell Shield.

Blue Tree:
The Ritual:
75 Thaumaturge
The Apprentice:
56 Elemental Expert
66 Elfborn
23 Spell Erosion.

Green Tree:
The Shadow:
45 Shadow Ward
30 Tumbling (jump points aren't great here, sadly, but I prefer to have treasure hunter passive for that dank loot).
The Lover:
100 Tenacity
45 Arcanist. Reason for not 100 or any higher than 45 is because 100 points for me adds like 60 regen. I don't find it justifiable.

Mundus Stones:
Dungeons + Other 4 Man group content: The Lover
Trials: The Apprentice.

Races:
#1: Breton: With Max Magicka, Spell Resistance and Cost Reduction, I find them very useful on a Templar. They do a lot of Magic Damage, so it's the reason why race #2 is #2.

#2 Altmer: Hate having to put this stupid overused race here, but Max Magicka, Regen and upgrades your Elemental Damage (Meteor, Vampires Bane/Reflective Light and Destro Ult + Monster Helm - depending on which one) Big Woop, 500ish more DPS.

#3: Dunmer: Gives Max Magicka, increases Elemental Blockade Slightly, increases Meteor + Vampires Bane/Reflective Light a lot and monster helm depending on which one.
If you really want to use this class, I guess an Inferno isn't awful, since it'd do more dps. You'll just lose some sustain and AOE, as now inferno staves do not give as much regen back as Lightning. But hey, more fire damage!

Vampirism: Up to you. I personally don't like it much. Makes you tanky at lower HP, but like... increases your fire damage taken. Dungeons do a lot of it. Small regen is nice, but I don't find it great. But hey! Not my choice if you wanna roll a vampire, eh?

More or less the end of the build. If anyone needs help still with a Templar, then I do not mind helping you out. If you have any suggestions, then I'll try to look through them. If you wanna nit pick, go ahead. If you're right, I'll fix. If I think you're wrong, then you're just a moon worshiper.
Edited by Blackbird_V on August 27, 2017 8:05AM
Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nice to see some guys still playing magicka-templar-DPS.
    Do you have some raidparses to show?
    Noobplar
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destruent wrote: »

I don't, no. If i do some vraids today I'll save the parses and upload them.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this build 100% for team play? I don't see Aura, Rune, BoL, Structured Entropy. Even Radiant is Opp, not Glory. Is that Lunar enough for sustain? No heavy attacks in rotation, no Witchmother's Brew, no regen glyph. For real? )
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    Is this build 100% for team play? I don't see Aura, Rune, BoL, Structured Entropy. Even Radiant is Opp, not Glory. Is that Lunar enough for sustain? No heavy attacks in rotation, no Witchmother's Brew, no regen glyph. For real? )

It's a dmg-build, so you don't need that much selfhealing...and yes, with enough synergies moondancer is enough for sustain.
    I used a similar build in morrowind and the sustain was great (even in vHof with all those magicka-drains), i just stopped playing it bc i always started to cry when i had to chase crappy synergies which just disappeared when i pressed "X" :disappointed: .
    If ZOS ever decided to fix that, this set would be much more enjoyable. But nonetheless, it works rly good in organised groups :)
    BlackbirdV wrote: »

I don't, no. If i do some vraids today I'll save the parses and upload them.

Thx man, rly curious to see what others do achieve with magplar nowadays :)
    Edited by Destruent on August 23, 2017 9:56AM
    Noobplar
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a dmg-build, so you don't need that much selfhealing...
    Sorry, i constantly forget ESO community terminology.
    DD - team DD build;
    vMA - solo survival/sustain DD build...
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    It's a dmg-build, so you don't need that much selfhealing...
    Sorry, i constantly forget ESO community terminology.
    DD - team DD build;
    vMA - solo survival/sustain DD build...

Vma switch purifying light with ritual of retribution. You dont need all that sustain you mentioned. Total loss of dps.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @BlackbirdV You should name the alternative gear setup Julies Mother
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vma switch purifying light with ritual of retribution. You dont need all that sustain you mentioned. Total loss of dps.
    Only if you go Seducer or insane heavy attacks. Otherwise your magicka regen will be around 1200.

Structured Entropy - DPS/defence - Major Sorcery + healing + health increasing;
    BoL - emergency healing;
    Focus - defence/sustain;
    Aura or even EleDrain - DPS/sustain;

Loss of DPS is only Radiant Glory which actually more preferable than Oppression for vMA.
  • EgoRush
    EgoRush
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in seeing some skeleton parses with this setup in addition to any trials bosses you manage to get together. I'm keen to make magplar viable again this patch, but more often I'm trapped healing with my templar.

Problem for magplar using Sweeps is that you take up a melee spot where a stamDK could outstrip your DPS by mashing their face against the keyboard. My aim is to make a ranged build that can compete with sorc/NB. I'm only hitting 35-36K on skeleton (self-buffed with spell pots and ele drain up) as ranged though so far (Ilambris currently, need to test Maw).
    Server: EU Pact
    Guild: Hodor (PvE - www.hodor-guild.eu), Chimaira (PvE)
    Character: Oriantha (Templar Healer), Zelda's Inferno (Dragonknight Tank), The Lumen Sage (Stamina Sorcerer DD), The Umbra Witch (Magicka Nightblade DD), Flirts-With-Boys (Stamina Nightblade DD), Oriantha Ellesidil (Magicka Sorcerer DD/healer), Wariantha (Magicka Warden in the making)

Current vMA score (Templar): Pending return to game
    World Record for all trials pre-Thieves Guild
    World first V16 Maw of Lorkhaj clear
    World first V16 Maw of Lorkhaj speed run clear
    Returning to the game for Morrowind
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EgoRush wrote: »
    I'd be interested in seeing some skeleton parses with this setup in addition to any trials bosses you manage to get together. I'm keen to make magplar viable again this patch, but more often I'm trapped healing with my templar.

Problem for magplar using Sweeps is that you take up a melee spot where a stamDK could outstrip your DPS by mashing their face against the keyboard. My aim is to make a ranged build that can compete with sorc/NB. I'm only hitting 35-36K on skeleton (self-buffed with spell pots and ele drain up) as ranged though so far (Ilambris currently, need to test Maw).

With skeleton parses it'd be nowhere near the dps as you'd get normally as no synergies, different mundus etc. When I'm fully awake i can, sure.
  • EgoRush
    EgoRush
    ✭✭✭✭

With skeleton parses it'd be nowhere near the dps as you'd get normally as no synergies, different mundus etc. When I'm fully awake i can, sure.

Get a buddy to give you synergies ;) Life Orbs or something so they aren't contributing to damage on skeleton. Blood Altar too. Are you EU server? I'll come along and help
    Character: Oriantha (Templar Healer), Zelda's Inferno (Dragonknight Tank), The Lumen Sage (Stamina Sorcerer DD), The Umbra Witch (Magicka Nightblade DD), Flirts-With-Boys (Stamina Nightblade DD), Oriantha Ellesidil (Magicka Sorcerer DD/healer), Wariantha (Magicka Warden in the making)

• Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Get a buddy to give you synergies ;) Life Orbs or something so they aren't contributing to damage on skeleton. Blood Altar too. Are you EU server? I'll come along and help
    Changed Maw for Slimecraw and apprentice stone for lover, for more efficient DPS on the dummy. Considering the MD build I posted is more for trials, few things had to be changed.

Parse:
    6061109ee5fadd6a5b39d6f3ba9daaef.png
    Edited by Blackbird_V on August 24, 2017 5:31PM
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Added a Julianos+Moondancer build and a War Maiden + Julianos Build.

Julianos is still pretty strong this patch. If you're not using Mother's Sorrow, I'd suggest Precise backbar. Also updated monster helms that are viable. All 3 are great on a Templar.
    Edited by Blackbird_V on August 27, 2017 8:07AM
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭

Julianos is still pretty strong this patch. If you're not using Mother's Sorrow, I'd suggest Precise backbar. Also updated monster helms that are viable. All 3 are great on a Templar.

Why precise backbar? Better heals with extended ritual?
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exodium wrote: »

Why precise backbar? Better heals with extended ritual?

This isn't a healer build - It's a DPS build. Precise backbar on the 2 new builds makes up for the lack of critical rating.
  • EgoRush
    EgoRush
    ✭✭✭✭

Changed Maw for Slimecraw and apprentice stone for lover, for more efficient DPS on the dummy. Considering the MD build I posted is more for trials, few things had to be changed.

Parse:

Nice parse. Hurts me seeing execute max ticks are so weak lately. I remember the days of 90K Jesus Beam ticks. I am awaiting Internet installation at my new apartment then I'll be back online to give your build a test along with a couple of ideas I want to compare. I'll come give you synergies and apply ele drain if you fancy getting a Moondancer parse on skele.

• Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Parse:

Nice parse. Hurts me seeing execute max ticks are so weak lately. I remember the days of 90K Jesus Beam ticks. I am awaiting Internet installation at my new apartment then I'll be back online to give your build a test along with a couple of ideas I want to compare. I'll come give you synergies and apply ele drain if you fancy getting a Moondancer parse on skele.

That one was a moondancer parse. As for jesus beam, it's still good i had 80k on twins in vmol last week. Thing is, it's bugged to hell not calculating damage properly. Apparently more damage in cps etc. the less it does? Not sure, but it's definitely bugged.
  • EgoRush
    EgoRush
    ✭✭✭✭

Parse:

That one was a moondancer parse. As for jesus beam, it's still good i had 80k on twins in vmol last week. Thing is, it's bugged to hell not calculating damage properly. Apparently more damage in cps etc. the less it does? Not sure, but it's definitely bugged.

Ah yes sorry I didn't notice the Shadow Blessing in metrics - assumed you did it without synergies. I shall endeavour to beat this parse next chance I get ;)

I've heard the same about our execute but I'm struggling to understand fully what the problem is. The way I see it is that Sweeps and Radiant Oppression double dip into certain CP trees in a way that other class spammables and executes do not. Therefore, to begin with we benefit more because we have multiple CP trees boosting these abilities. However, the diminished returns hits us harder in the long run meaning we waste points by going as ele expert heavy as a DK for example.

I am yet to run a few CP tests to see if we can optimise in a better way. All I'm thinking is going more spell erosion heavy and dropping potentially wasted points from ele expert/elfborn.

If anyone has more insight on how CP messes up these Templar skills I'm all ears to learn.

• SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice build, will have to see whether i like mothers sorrow or julianos paired with my moondancer. You should have a shock enchant on a moondancer infused sword to keep up off balance if youre using a back bar shock staff, keep that on the main hand. esp with infused buff for hotr, shock enchant will be stronger and proc more. if using a fire back bar, then disregard
    Edited by SoLooney on August 29, 2017 12:16PM
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SoLooney wrote: »
    Nice build, will have to see whether i like mothers sorrow or julianos paired with my moondancer. You should have a shock enchant on a moondancer infused sword to keep up off balance if youre using a back bar shock staff, keep that on the main hand. esp with infused buff for hotr, shock enchant will be stronger and proc more. if using a fire back bar, then disregard

In a trial you don't need to worry about off balance, should be high uptime. I find infused on magplar not great.