Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Need yalls help! This doesnt make sence to me at all. Theory pros needed!

Dr.NRG
Dr.NRG
✭✭✭✭
Hi guys!
Im pretty much a hardcore theory crafter on ps4 who knows pretty almost everthing about game mechanics, stats, scaling...by always looking at patch notes and folwing streamers since eso drop.
However, there is somthing I can figure out at all and I wonder if its just a broken thing in the game;
I am duelling my buddy magplar vs stam dk and feel like i am taking to much damage eventhough im running a well roundeed build and thus trying to investigate.
For my test i made a max resist dps build with defense following relevant stats vs mag dk:

28k spell resist, 23k physical, 3.5k crit resist, 21%direct dmg resist, 10%elm resist, 6% flat resist nord passive.
My buddies offesive stats are 12k penetration 21%direct dmg, 8% elm dmg, 0CRIT DMG, everyting else not relevant for test

He hits me for 3.4k non crit, and 4.8k crits on whips.

My crit resist should completly negate that crit damage! But if I lower my crit resistance I take even more damage, HOW?

Furthermore, his whips tooltip is 8k and with his penetration versus my resistance+ batlle spirit he should close hit to 3k max. Somehow though he hits me as he would put my resistance to 0 and thus when i switch to my normal light amor set up he barly hit me any harder.

Another thing is for some reason 20% at the time I cant weap swap when rooted. Is that a new bug?

I must be missing something here pls help cause this is very frustrating. The inly real viable build due to this running is is 5 shackle 5 spinners and 2 malubeth which i really dont like cause of malue cheese and as i hate being a hypocrite complaing about these bs set ups. I wanna make a decent chesse free magplar build but am possibly to much of a stam guy latly that im missing some fact of mechanic.

One more thing wich is very similar is that my stam blade hits his stam dk for 3.6k suprise and 4.3k crits. My tooltip on that is 11k and i reduce his residence to 200 so basically nothing. My crit dmg is 80% and he has 2.4k crit resit.

Other ppl i hit 7-9k suprise but ehy not him? Does penetrate and resist not work properly??

Thx yall!

@Gilliamtherogue
@Blobsky
@JackDaniell
@crusnik91
@xynode
@Alcast
@Sypher
@Deltia
Edited by Dr.NRG on July 31, 2017 3:05AM

Best Answer

• Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭

No vid sorry. The only other modifier is me being a vamp. He got mages guild not leveled so no empower. Hes using no debuffs such as fiery breath.
    All he does is get major sorcery and then whips.
    I think something might actually not working as intended as at the Stam blade vs stam dk we have been testing simply penetration vs resistance and the numbers are way off then they are supposed to be. Fighting others they appear to be right. Weird thing is the problem only appears vs him and in some other rare cases.

I will punch in the numbers at Crowns sheet and see what that will show.

Thanks for yalls help! Ill keep yalls advice in mind and further investigate.
    Edited by Dr.NRG on July 31, 2017 7:17PM
    Answer ✓
  • Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Theroy crafting aint fun if sht aint workink lol cracks me up;)
    Edited by Dr.NRG on July 31, 2017 2:13AM
  • Blobsky
    Blobsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    His crit damage is actially crit chance - crits are still possible damage is just reduced. Its possible one of your crit resist sets was bugged to take so much mind, so try unweild and reweild a piece. You said hes a stamdk but ill assume he is mag as you say whips. Likely here he is debuffing your resists a fair bit - sharp, maybe ele drain, so he gets close to tooltip. If he runs burning breath thats another 10% unmitigatable damage.

I.e stamblade, same facts for crit - he is increasing chance to crit not damage - unless he has minor or major force you will do a max of 50% more which will be reduced by crit res slowly. There is no way you are possibly reducing his resists to 200 - max in your build as stam nb is major breach and sharp so thats 11k - even in medium that leaves a lot to go.

Weapon swap issues are purely lag or errors by a player.

Good luck theorycrafting and come by my stream for any further questions.
    Yt Channell: Blobsky

DC EU Nightblade
    Owner of 'The Travelling Merchant' - Craglorn trade guild since near release!
  • Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blobsky wrote: »
    His crit damage is actially crit chance - crits are still possible damage is just reduced. Its possible one of your crit resist sets was bugged to take so much mind, so try unweild and reweild a piece. You said hes a stamdk but ill assume he is mag as you say whips. Likely here he is debuffing your resists a fair bit - sharp, maybe ele drain, so he gets close to tooltip. If he runs burning breath thats another 10% unmitigatable damage.

I.e stamblade, same facts for crit - he is increasing chance to crit not damage - unless he has minor or major force you will do a max of 50% more which will be reduced by crit res slowly. There is no way you are possibly reducing his resists to 200 - max in your build as stam nb is major breach and sharp so thats 11k - even in medium that leaves a lot to go.

Weapon swap issues are purely lag or errors by a player.

Good luck theorycrafting and come by my stream for any further questions.

Thanks man! love your vids btw! However, the issue aint really resolved like this. I dont think its the sets as i changed them during tests.

It was 2 differnt cases, 1st magplar vs mag dk, 2nd nb vs stam dk.

At the first issue all he does is get major sorcery and whip, no other buffs or debuffs. His crit dmg is 50%flat, my crit resit about 55-60%. plus over all after penetrating he should still get about a 15-20% dmg penalty for the 16k resist that is left on me after his pen.

At Second issue my nb vs his stam dk all he does is get major resit buffs. I penetrate him down to 200 resist and yest he still gets about 50% dmg mittigation. My nb is at 50% base crit+ 10 nb passive+ 21% via cp so 81%.
    This build usually hits really hard and is probs the best build i ever made but in sime rare cases like my buddy soething aint right.
    Edited by Dr.NRG on July 31, 2017 2:53AM
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Yo got video of the fight? There is prolly some modifiers that increase his damage.
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Crown
    Crown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make a copy of this sheet and plug both of your numbers in:

Crit vs Impen calculations: http://goo.gl/84hnar

EDIT: Auto correct is sometimes stupid.
    Edited by Crown on July 31, 2017 2:35PM
    Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
    PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
  • HiImRex
    HiImRex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you a vampire?

Fiery breath debuff + vampire = you're gonna be getting hit by base damage that's quite a bit higher than tooltip

Also your stats are on defending bar yes, maybe some of those high damage numbers are taken on your offensive bar with lower resists
    Edited by HiImRex on July 31, 2017 2:56PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dr.NRG wrote: »
    At the first issue all he does is get major sorcery and whip, no other buffs or debuffs. His crit dmg is 50%flat, my crit resit about 55-60%. plus over all after penetrating he should still get about a 15-20% dmg penalty for the 16k resist that is left on me after his pen.

Where is he getting Major Sorcery from? If he's using Entropy then whip, he's getting might of the guild on top.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just from the numbers you stated, I'd think you being vamp sufficiently explains why the damage turns out that high. Test other damage types and see what happens.
    Penetration has been a buggy muss in the past though, so if you're testing that, make sure to test individual sources of penetration, they may not always add up like you'd expect them to.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    Just from the numbers you stated, I'd think you being vamp sufficiently explains why the damage turns out that high. Test other damage types and see what happens.
    Penetration has been a buggy muss in the past though, so if you're testing that, make sure to test individual sources of penetration, they may not always add up like you'd expect them to.

Thx! Will do!