Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Trying to decide what cpu to get that would run best with eso

Alp
Alp
✭✭✭✭
My old amd fx 8350 is starting to show its age and not handling eso well I think but I'm unsure of which cpu to upgrade to.

I'm looking at either the Intel Core i5-7600 or AMD Ryzen 5 1600. My friend says the Ryzen and most other people say the i5. I'm not sure if it's true that the Ryzen isn't doing well with eso.
I got an Nvidia 970 atm that will have to work for now.
Edited by Alp on June 29, 2017 9:08PM
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you will be participating a lot in PVP I would get the best quadcore CPU within your budget. It seems to make a big difference for me.

Maybe someone who has tried ESO with Ryzen can provide weigh in on whether it works well.

I have tried i7-6700K with GTX 930, GTX 1060 6GB OC and 1050Ti. 1060 and 1050Ti were able to handle ESO on ultra settings in PVE, 1080p 100-110fps for 1060 and 70-80 fps for 1050Ti. In PVP, framerate drops at times but goes back up to 60fps. With 930 was able to play in PVP on 1080p med settings with shadows off, low textures around 30-40fps.

Previously on laptop with i7-820QM, AMD 5830M, I was dropping below 10fps often in PVP even at 800x600, lowest possible settings so the game looks like 8-bit graphics.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople on June 29, 2017 11:11PM
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just build a Ryzen 1700 system (not OC'd) with 16GB of Ram (3200) and a GTX 1080. I run dual monitors with a browser and multiple tabs open while playing ESO. Often I'm watching or listening to a youtube video while grinding. I have maxed settings at 2560*1440 and outside of towns while leveling/grinding an getting @140 fps.

Ryzens strength is in mutitasking while the i5-i7s wins in single core speed. Based on everything I have seen an i7 will get you the best results with this game as long as you are not doing other things. The more you are doing as well as gaming, he more Ryzen takes over as the better CPU.

Best bet is to look at some some reviews of the Ryzen you are looking at and see how it compares to the i5.
    Edited by Belegnole on June 30, 2017 2:21AM
  • Alp
    Alp
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Ryzen 5 and i5 seem to be almost the same when not doing something else. But not many tests of how it runs with eso except one video that says its bad. And I don't want to base my choice on one video.
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised you found one review with ESO. Look at all of the tests regarding the cpu you are looking at. Focus on games that are known to use a single core. MMOs in general are not multi threaded.

I chose Ryzen because of how I use my computer. If I only had ESO running when gaming I would have picked Intel.
  • Alp
    Alp
    ✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't as much a review as just a video saying he had fps drops with the ryzen.
  • akredon_ESO
    akredon_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    So i droped my Desk top and got me a Gaming laptop currently running ESO on the MSI apache pro GE72VR and its a beast. I like the fact i have mobility in my gaming. I have been pvping in on max setting with out little to any lag. Now of course when the ZERGS come its does tank some. Namely due to the RAM issues i think ESO has in cyrodiil. But most of the time its 40+ fps almost all the time at max settings. System specs on it Intel Core i7 (7th Gen) 7700HQ / 2.8 GHz 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 3 GB GDDR5 SDRAM... As far as over heating issues. I have had any It did get toasty when i was playing PUBG but i knew going into a Gaming laptop they do run kinda crispy so i have a Laptop fan kit. Over all those i feel like Intel is handling alot better then what i previously had. AMD 6300 3.0 mhz OC to 4.2 8gig of ram Radeon R9.
  • deano469
    deano469
    ✭✭✭
    It seems as though you like to keep your hardware for a long time, before you upgrade, like most of us. Going with 8 cores as opposed to 4 cores seems a lot more future proof. 8 cores may not be really necessary right now, but in 2 or 3 years you might be a lot better off with more cores. Also, The performance difference between a 8350 and a 1600 is huge. I'm sure it will play ESO just fine. If you do decide to go with the 1600, get the fastest memory you can to go with it. 3000 or 3200 DDR4 memory is recommended. I'm sure whatever you decide to go with, will be a vast improvement over what you have now.

P.S. FPS drops in ESO are just a fact of life, whatever your hardware is.
    Edited by deano469 on July 4, 2017 9:04PM
  • Hambonee
    Hambonee
    Soul Shriven
    deano469 wrote: »
    It seems as though you like to keep your hardware for a long time, before you upgrade, like most of us. Going with 8 cores as opposed to 4 cores seems a lot more future proof. 8 cores may not be really necessary right now, but in 2 or 3 years you might be a lot better off with more cores. Also, The performance difference between a 8350 and a 1600 is huge. I'm sure it will play ESO just fine. If you do decide to go with the 1600, get the fastest memory you can to go with it. 3000 or 3200 DDR4 memory is recommended. I'm sure whatever you decide to go with, will be a vast improvement over what you have now.

P.S. FPS drops in ESO are just a fact of life, whatever your hardware is.

I have a Ryzen 1600 Oced to 4.0Ghz

also running a 1080 vid card..slightly OCed...

Single monitor running every setting maxed at 3840x2160..

I run consistently at over 60fps while questing out in the open world..

To me the Ryzen was a good option..I saved a couple hundred on the CPU vs Intel to get good single core and amazing multi core performance. I threw the savings into getting a 1080 vs 1070..

Now, in saying that, the bios for Ryzen memory is still screwy. Buy 3200 Mhz DDR4 but it will probably only be able to hit 3000 at this point. AMD is working on that but be aware. I run 2400 DDR4 for stability and in a couple months, once it is sorted out, will swap to 3200 as memory speed makes a HUGE difference on Ryzen.

Be aware all my settings are using the 2400...so with 3200 ...yeah...its a great CPU:)

Edited by Hambonee on July 6, 2017 7:34PM
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xbox1x
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Alp
    Alp
    ✭✭✭✭
    xbox1x

Sorry, I don't speak console.