The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

On the issue of Flying Mounts

ProfesseurFreder
ProfesseurFreder
✭✭✭✭✭
... I suppose that lots of folks have already thought of / suggested Harpies and those Giant Bats. I have at least one character who would LOVE riding a Harpy or a Giant Bat.
"Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
-- William Faulkner.
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure we should endorse "riding" harpies... >_>
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that involves putting harpy sounds in more places gets a big No from me.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At first I thought I wouldn't want this. Then I imagined the possibilities. Namely, dozens of winged creatures shrieking and flapping their wings around wayshrines, undaunted enclaves, trading posts, and every major quest hub. Maybe someday. :smile:
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We'll get the Harpy armour* with huge pauldrons with handles. Those harpies can pick us up on those and then drop us on target like a hum.. argon.. khaj... sentient canon ball!

*Only in heavy and increases fall damage by 200%.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think flying mounts might make it a little too easy to get from one place to another, and therefore they would affect gameplay. It would pretty much put the entire game into easy mode. As much as I'd love to be able to fly over mountains sometimes, it might make the game a little too easy. :|
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I think flying mounts might make it a little too easy to get from one place to another, and therefore they would affect gameplay. It would pretty much put the entire game into easy mode. As much as I'd love to be able to fly over mountains sometimes, it might make the game a little too easy. :|

They don't mean that the mount would operate differently than a normal mount, it would just visually appear to be floating or flying... lol
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liam12548 wrote: »
    They don't mean that the mount would operate differently than a normal mount, it would just visually appear to be floating or flying... lol
    Ah. Gotcha. That might be cool. :)

• Ir0nB34r
    Ir0nB34r
    ✭✭✭
    Liam12548 wrote: »
    SydneyGrey wrote: »

This would be the best way to implement it, really. Making it so you could fly anywhere would have HUGE ramifications for PvP, good or bad depending on who you ask lol
    [XBOX][NA]
    Breton | Sorcerer | Damage Dealer - Build Info (Coming Soon)
    Breton | Warden | Healer - Build Info (Coming Soon)
    Argonian | Dragon Knight | Tank - Build Info (Coming Soon)
    (Retired)Breton | Sorcerer | Tank - Build Info (<< Link to Google Docs Page)
    "If you are quitting, can I have your stuff??"
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, nobody seriously thinks (I hope) that flying mounts would be anything other than a cosmetic change. Certainly I don't. And the large flying creatures we come into contact with in the game do not seem to get all that high off the ground anyhow.

What about those creepy skeletony eel-like bony creatures -- those wraith things that always give me such a hard time? Too shocking, I guess.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • dusk194
    dusk194
    ✭✭
    I have played multiple MMO's with fly mounts or an attempt at gliders. With each title, the introduction made existing content less relevant and took away from what Emerson existed. I would prefer no flying mounts.

You have waypoints and overland options. Flying is only necessary in skipping over things. Picture a Bal Foyen were the speed gatherers fly to nodes or the market hubs have 45 players hovering over the same vendors. Dozens of large flying creatures straking the sky, where we currenly find none. I'll pass thank you.

Now a "hovering" mount that follows the same pathing rules as current mounts are a different argument. And could be fun.
    Edited by dusk194 on June 26, 2017 5:01PM
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dusk194 if you read the posts above you will see that what we're talking about are what you call "hovering" mounts that behave the same way as walking / running ones. Real "flying" that would take you over mountains and suchlike would undeniably break the game. I think we're all on the same page here.
    -- William Faulkner.
  • dusk194
    dusk194
    ✭✭
    Oh i read it. But a readers preception and the page your on may not be the same, nor may any possible implimentation by ZOS. So at the risk of being redundant, i added past experiences with my opinion and tryed to clarify my position.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, we all have been through that before... "flying mounts" would be iffy, but "floating mounts" where it would be merely a visual effect but otherwise act exactly like normal mounts (including dropping you in the water when trying to float over it) might be possible, and we can hope for those.

At that... harpies would struggle rather much trying to carry a armored character anyhow but gliding down a mountain or such. Same with bats, they really are not big nor strtong enough to make viable mounts. Or netches for that matter.
    (though I suppose there -could- be a vampire-only "bat swarm transformation" mount if they ever decide to code that... werewolves could get a similar "dire wolf transformation" mount I suppose...)

For normal characters, I would think floating mounts might be more likely be something in the theme of magically enchanted floating things... floating broomsticks, floating carpets, floating clouds to ride, on, floating thrones... etc.
  • Sanguis_Tiberius
    Sanguis_Tiberius
    ✭✭✭
    But could they fly over water? Somewhat game breaking especially in cyro or places with water that would dismount a grounded animal. It would look cool but wouldn't make much since if your flying mount disappeared because you flew above deep water....
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But could they fly over water? Somewhat game breaking especially in cyro or places with water that would dismount a grounded animal...
    That is one more reason why "magically floating broomsticks/carpets/whatever" might be the best option. Because then you can always go with "runninmg water disrupts that levitation enchantment" and keep the slaughterfish barriers in operation... ;)
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, who knows? Harpies and Giant Bats just might have an intense fear of water.
    -- William Faulkner.
  • Faylis
    Faylis
    ✭✭✭
    No
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you a harpy? Are you the Official Speaker of the Giant Bats? Not something _I'd_ be willing to cop to, but different strokes...
    -- William Faulkner.
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just no please....leave that to WoW.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would kill for a netch mount.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flying broomstick please
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always pictures the altmer to breed and ride something much less common then horses.

Like griffins
    Or Pegasus

Having those mounts that act like the sap adder would be sweet. Normal walking animation then a hover flying animation when running.