Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why can't I use emotes? I'm doing something wrong

SydneyGrey
SydneyGrey
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I've tried to use emotes, but they don't work for me. Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I opened my inventory because that's the only way I can type in the chat that I know about, and changed it from "say" (or "zone") to "emote." I then typed in the emote like I thought I was supposed to (with the backlash before the word), and nothing happens.
I'm on the PC.
Yes, I tried to find the answer with a search first. Thanks in advance for your answer.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Emotes look like this:

/emote

Just replace emote with sit or lute or whatever you're trying to do. Nothing else to it!

Doesn't matter what chat channel you're in.
    Edited by Sigtric on June 30, 2017 9:26PM

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I open my chat box using the enter key. You should not have to open your inventory to use it. As Sigtec said, you don't have to change from whatever chat mode you are in (say, zone, group, guild). Simply type in something like /flute and hit enter.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »
    Emotes look like this:
    /emote
    Just replace emote with sit or lute or whatever you're trying to do. Nothing else to it!
    Doesn't matter what chat channel you're in.
    That's what I tried, but it doesn't work for me. Thanks anyway. It might have something to do with me opening my inventory to type in chat, so I'll try just hitting enter to open the chat like Acadian suggested.
    Thanks anyway.

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: I just tried it without opening my inventory first (I used "enter" instead as Acadian suggested), and I was able to get it to work for the first time ever. Thanks so much guys for answering. <3

Edited by SydneyGrey on July 1, 2017 5:01AM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good! Glad it worked out for you!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was definitely the fact that I was opening my inventory first. Now I know. Thanks, peeps
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Annoyingly you can't use an emote at the same time as going through menus.

Which is annoying because in other games I'll often have my character sit down (or sleep) somewhere while I sort stuff out, but in ESO I find a nice spot, sit down, open the inventory and they immediately stand up again.

I know there are special emotes (digging through a bag, looking at a map etc.) that other people see when you're looking at the menu, but especially when I'm looking through quests and achievements I like the idea of my character just chilling, thinking about what they've done and where they're off to next.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Update: I just tried it without opening my inventory first (I used "enter" instead as Acadian suggested), and I was able to get it to work for the first time ever. Thanks so much guys for answering. <3

You don't even need to press Enter to open chat for an emote.

If the "/" has not be reassigned ("Start Chat Slash" in Controls) then you can just press that and type the emote, or whatever other chat command you need.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SydneyGrey - So glad you got it sorted out! Emotes are fun!

@lordrichter -Oh, that is a great tip about simply using / to get into the chat window. Thanks for sharing!
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on July 2, 2017 12:41AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo