Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Morrowind Tanking Help

The_Lex
The_Lex
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Because I was getting a bit tired of the DPS and Healing roles, I decided to branch out into tanking. I love it! I've spent some time brushing up on the theorycrafting as well as some prominent guides on the subject. I've learned that the current meta is to stack health. Most of the published builds call for some combination of Plague Doctor, Green Pact (both for vHoF), and Ebon. I'm fairly new to the tanking role, but I farmed for all of these sets, including Akaviri Dragonguard. Because combining PD and GP seemed overkill for pledges (even vet pledges), my Imperial DK tank has been wearing PD, Dragon, and BS. Fully buffed (minus War Horn), I have about 42k health (which seems a bit too high for pledges), 14.1k magicka (I struggle with this a bit while PuGing), and 21k stamina. So, I was hoping to get some tanking suggestions for vet pledges and normal dungeons.

Does anyone use the previous meta tank sets, such as Tavas (Elude can be costly, though), Dragon, Hist Bark, etc? How do you gear your tanks for vet pledges and normal trials? What are good stats (H, M, S) to shoot for with this content?

EDIT: Is sturdy a requirement for this patch for all pieces? RNG seems to have blessed me with only infused armor pieces.
Edited by The_Lex on June 30, 2017 1:21PM
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here you go . My tank build for Morrowind . Cleared vHoF HM with this , can find the video in there . You can find everything in there . If you have questions , just ask :)
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »
    Here you go . My tank build for Morrowind . Cleared vHoF HM with this , can find the video in there . You can find everything in there . If you have questions , just ask :)

Thank you! I'll look it over.
  • crobarXIII
    crobarXIII
    ✭✭✭
    My nb tank uses tavas & dragonguard. both of these sets give magicka recovery & help me pump out ultimates. The nb tank doesn't really have good abilities that scale well with health (our heals from mark & our class execute, not ideal abilities for tanks) so high health sets don't really benefit our class like others. Now if one of the mark morphs had a taunt & could be casted on multiple targets with reduce healing of course, that would be great & this one ability would replace both pierce armor & inner fire.

My DK tank is still using ebon & tavas & for a dk ultimate usage is resource sustain. I am planning on using ebon & green pact for my Templar tank. Just recently leveled my warden tank & have only used it on world bosses to get a fell for it, still needs a lot more testing & a lot more skill points.
    Edited by crobarXIII on June 30, 2017 2:13PM
    PS4-NA-1000+cp
    Nightblade-Redguard-Stamina Dps : Nightblade-Argonian-Tank : Dragonknight-Imperial-Tank : Dragonknight-Darkelf-Magicka Dps
    Sorcerer-Khajiit-Stamina Dps : Sorcerer-Highelf-Magicka Dps : Templar-Redguard-Stamina Dps : Templar-Highelf-Magicka Dps
    Warden-Imperial-Tank : Warden-Highelf-Magicka Dps
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    crobarXIII wrote: »
    My nb tank uses tavas & dragonguard. both of these sets give magicka recovery & help me pump out ultimates. The nb tank doesn't really have good abilities that scale well with health (our heals from mark & our class execute, not ideal abilities for tanks) so high health sets don't really benefit our class like others. Now if one of the mark morphs had a taunt & could be casted on multiple targets with reduce healing of course, that would be great & this one ability would replace both pierce armor & inner fire.

My DK tank is still using ebon & tavas & for a dk ultimate usage is resource sustain. I am planning on using ebon & green pact for my Templar tank. Just recently leveled my warden tank & have only used it on world bosses to get a fell for it, still needs a lot more testing & a lot more skill points.

On your DK, do you have any issues with sustain while running elude? It's pretty costly these days.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anyone else? :)
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭
    I do use homestead build, more out of laziness than anything else (21k mag, 30k hp, 24k stamina, tavas, ebon, sometimes using bahrahas to get passive healing going if the dps is low in the team or the healer forgets about hots). It does really well in dungeons. I have to heavy attack much more, but stamina isn't an issue. Magicka is most of the time (I use trash magicka pots exclusively, can't recall any situation I had to use anything else, I have tripots slotted just in case, though). In homestead I could use chains on pretty much every ranged enemy in a room, now I can chain only a few (plus talon them), for the rest I have to taunt and run away to make them come to me. I do actually consider getting my magicka higher than stamina, as that would let me restore it by shards/orbs. I can reliably restore stamina myself (right now I'm not really using shards, heavy attacks restore so much stamina, I don't really need to).

As for trials... This build is not viable anymore.
  • RT_Frank
    RT_Frank
    ✭✭✭

On your DK, do you have any issues with sustain while running elude? It's pretty costly these days.

Sure elude is costly now, but as long as you're smart on stamina management you don't even notice it. I'm a dk tank using tavas, dragon and bs and the only difference I see is that I'm usually around 40% stamina during a fight rather than around 80%. Unfortunately, I can't permablock anymore but I only did that because my stamina was always high.

As long as you're smart about your blocks, abilities, etc. elude shouldn't be a big deal. However, if you still feel like you are running out of stamina I'd suggest trying Cameron throne to see if that helps.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RT_Frank wrote: »

Sure elude is costly now, but as long as you're smart on stamina management you don't even notice it. I'm a dk tank using tavas, dragon and bs and the only difference I see is that I'm usually around 40% stamina during a fight rather than around 80%. Unfortunately, I can't permablock anymore but I only did that because my stamina was always high.

As long as you're smart about your blocks, abilities, etc. elude shouldn't be a big deal. However, if you still feel like you are running out of stamina I'd suggest trying Cameron throne to see if that helps.

Hey, thanks for the comment. I really wanted to run Tavas, Dragon, and BS - I loved the ulti gen build. I guess I just needed someone to confirm its viability. It may not work as the main tank in a trial, especially vHoF, but I have a lot to learn before I tank in the big leagues.
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It may not work as the main tank in a trial, especially vHoF, but I have a lot to learn before I tank in the big leagues.

It works . Here you go , Tavas , Ebon , BS . I don't swap items for different bosses , this setup through whole trial .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfU6iK1x1VE

You just need to know mechanics , that's all . As you see here , even with lots of roll dodges , I still can sustain my stamina because I am not perma blocking . This build requires you to not perma block to reach it's full potential . If you need to perma block (axes) , you still can with this build . Balance > Igneous Shield will be more than enough .
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »
    It may not work as the main tank in a trial, especially vHoF, but I have a lot to learn before I tank in the big leagues.

It works . Here you go , Tavas , Ebon , BS . I don't swap items for different bosses , this setup through whole trial .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfU6iK1x1VE

You just need to know mechanics , that's all . As you see here , even with lots of roll dodges , I still can sustain my stamina because I am not perma blocking . This build requires you to not perma block to reach it's full potential . If you need to perma block (axes) , you still can with this build . Balance > Igneous Shield will be more than enough .

You sold me! Great video and congrats on the clear!
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tank vet and normal dungeons a lot but don't have much trials experience. With 300 cp and a group that is otherwise competent, I don't have problems even without min/maxing stats/races, etc.

For comparison I have an Argonian (arguable currently optimal tank race) and Dunmer DK. The Argonia has all in Health, and Dunmer has all in Magicka because it was my DPS class. Argonian runs Atronach for MP regen, Dunmer runs Thief, again because DPS.

For each I run the same base set of gear, PD and GP. Small pieces are Divines, big pieces are infused.

I use different monster sets though.

On the Dunmer I generally run Grothdar just for extra damage and AOE aggro.

On Argonian I run 1 piece chokethorn/1 piece Shadowrend for the 1-piece magicka regen bonus

I also keep Mighty Chudan on hand, as it lets me remove volatile/hardened armor from my bar and replace it with something else

Dunmer has about 49K buffed HP with GP and food; argonian has like 65k I think. Dunmer obviously has much more magicka. (this is also slotting structured entropy for the HP bonus).

All this is to say, minus my trials inexperience, your gear and min/maxing spec can carry you through non-ideal groups on tougher content but outside of that you have some flexibility. I prefer my Dunmer DK because it seems more flexible and contributes more in most dungeon content; my argonian just doesn't do much if any damage. The opposite is probably true for trials where your only real job outside of knowing mechanics is to not die and add some utility.
  • The_Old_Goat
    The_Old_Goat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my Imperial Warden tank I've started off running 5 Thunderbug, 5 Warrior Poet(I haven't spent the time in Cyro for Warhorn yet) and Bloodspawn building for resist rather than health(and I know the argument for high health). I've since swapped in Akaviri Dragon for the Thunderbug. My attributes are split 30 mag/34 stam and I'm running about 32k health which has been plenty sufficient so far for normal pledges. I use infused traits on my armor to help with my stam pool. I'm fairly active while tanking, bouncing around hitting trash mobs and notice that's when I struggle with resources. Being new to tanking, I never really paid much attention before to different tanks playstyle and now I'm wondering how tanks cope with keeping resources, if they're pretty stationary or not. One last thought, I've spent 100 CP in shadow ward and I'm considering moving 25 to tenacity and see if that helps any. Thanks for the topic, folks.