The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

warden tank - magicka or hybrid?

Lynx7386
Lynx7386
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Thinking about biting the bullet and getting back into eso, haven't bought morrowind yet, was looking forward to the warden for a long time but lost interest in the game.

I tend to prefer playing tanks, and if I do get back into eso I definitely want a warden tank. Used to be set on the idea of a hybrid using 1h/sh and ice staff, but would it be better to just go all in on magical instead?
PS4 / NA
M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well warden can get aoe spell/physical debuff through subteranian assault so there's no reason you couldn't go all magic if you wanted though you would have to use the undaunted taunt and the frost staff.

however youll likely end up with s&b backbar anyway so it wont really matter.

for a warden tank I would say argonian is the best race

my personal armor choices would be plague doctor and magicka furnace.

It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a hybrid.... my build is uncoventional, but keeps me alive in dungeons (as long as I don't make stupid mistakes)... and I run around as the tank in PvE dungeons
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    As for the warden tank, I would say argonian or nord. But those argonian passives are really nice...
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you should do with hybrid build that focuses on building ulty. You dont scale so good with max health like DK, but you can generate ulty very fast, especially vs mobs that use projectiles. The heal ulty gives great support and restore your resources. You got enough ulty regen to pop between horn. Go with an Argonian, works great with hybrid/tanky wardens.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rungar wrote: »
    well warden can get aoe spell/physical debuff through subteranian assault so there's no reason you couldn't go all magic if you wanted though you would have to use the undaunted taunt and the frost staff.

Why Magicka furnace? instead can have set like ebon/imperium/powerful assault/dragon guard to buff group.

Even alternation mastery is better choice then Magicka Furnace.
    Edited by Lord_Eomer on June 29, 2017 4:58PM
  • Floki_Vilgerdarson
    Floki_Vilgerdarson
    ✭✭✭✭
    Warden tanks are 2nd best to DK. I have done both and deleted my Warden tank. Who wants 2nd best unless you are just playing for fun?

Tanking is a very specific job. Wardens are jack of all trades master of none.

I kept my Orc Warden Stam DPS for Battlegrounds and lol.

• Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rungar wrote: »

Why Magicka furnace? instead can have set like ebon/imperium/powerful assault/dragon guard to buff group.

Even alternation mastery is better choice then Magicka Furnace.

not really if you use a frost staff. Magicka furnace kicks in when you change to sword and sheild and you can still use a monster set. cant have 2 sets, monster set and frost staff unless you use that or lich or warlock or another set that kicks in when you switch. it also has armor on it.

I also use balance (mage guild) with engine guardian.

I
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • Hridhbjarn
    Warden tanks are 2nd best to DK. I have done both and deleted my Warden tank. Who wants 2nd best unless you are just playing for fun?

Isn't that a bit discouraging, not to say elitist sounding, that only 1 class can make an acceptable tank, 1 an acceptable healer, and 1 or 2 an acceptable DPS? Although, might feel more bitter towards ESO than you for stating the possible obvious...

But... aren't we supposed to be playing for like... actual "fun", you know? Are "fun" and being "effective" mutually exclusive in nowadays MMO's endgame? :_(
    Edited by Hridhbjarn on June 29, 2017 6:05PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hridhbjarn wrote: »

Isn't that a bit discouraging, not to say elitist sounding, that only 1 class can make an acceptable tank, 1 an acceptable healer, and 1 or 2 an acceptable DPS? Although, might feel more bitter towards ESO than you for stating the possible obvious...

But... aren't we supposed to be playing for like... actual "fun", you know? Are "fun" and being "effective" mutually exclusive in nowadays MMO's endgame? :_(

The only time a class is completely unviable in tank, dps, or healer, is when a specific group is set up in such a way it's not congruent with said build - which only occurs in the competitive trial guilds - in which case you'd be formed to their upmost specs. I feel all classes can do all jobs if proper preparation has occurred or you're not going for top leaderboards
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warden tanking in trials is best accomplished as a hybrid imo. But tbh, most endgame tanks are basically hybrid. There are a few reasons that I think support this idea. Note, however, that none of this accounts for using a frost staff.

Nature's Gift has no internal cooldown and has the ability to restore substantial resources to either magicka or stamina, and we constantly use both. Stamina is more restrictive by nature, in that we cannot recover it while blocking. To direct these passive procs to our stamina pool, which are not restricted in and of themselves, we have higher magicka recovery to lessen the strain on our magicka pool.

A "stamina" tank, with a low max magicka and a high magicka recovery, will redirect more of the passive procs to the magicka pool. We are constantly refreshing our magicka skills in between primary buffs and debuffs, and thus constant magicka consumption. With a smaller pool, a single cast of a spell will consume a larger percentage of magicka, and since its maximum is already lower, taking away a relatively larger percentage only widens the gap. Thus, the procs will often go to magicka, leaving our stamina to be recovered by other means.

On the other hand, a "magicka" tank would face the opposite constraints. The passive procs would constantly go to our stamina pool, which could be fine if block costs are properly managed. However, it leaves us vulnerable to anything requiring a dodge or break free, and prevents us from ever getting stamina back from orbs or shards. It also requires a more exact timing of stamina-based abilities, or just ordinary buffs and debuffs can become difficult to manage if the pool is small enough. The up-side is that magicka-based abilities will scale well with a high magicka pool, so our heals will be more potent. That, however, is not the primary role of a tank, albeit a very nice thing to have while learning fights (as opposed to speed runs, for example).

With a low max pool, the only way to reliably redirect those procs is to limit consumption, and pretty heavily, but this is counter-intuitive, I think, to the way the class is designed. Wardens are built mechanically around the concept of balance in many ways, and that extends to our resources in that we want to have the most we can get of both, usually. More stamina means more blocking, dodging, breaking, and most importantly, debuffing and buffing. More magicka scales our heals to boost the groups survivability and redirect our passives to our stamina. More control means we are better able to focus on mechanics, which is crucial in every trial. It allows us to support our group better, without having to worry so much about ourselves.
    Edited by Autolycus on June 29, 2017 11:50PM
  • Keep_Door
    Keep_Door
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid isnt a thing and most likely will never be. Go magicka.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep_Door wrote: »

Hybrid has been a thing for tanks for a long time now.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Hridhbjarn
    Keep_Door wrote: »

Is there a button or price for UNinsightful post of the year?

Care to argue maybe, esp. within a thread on tanking?
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

image.jpg?w=480&c=1
  • Lab3360
    Lab3360
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hridhbjarn wrote: »

The only time a class is completely unviable in tank, dps, or healer, is when a specific group is set up in such a way it's not congruent with said build - which only occurs in the competitive trial guilds - in which case you'd be formed to their upmost specs. I feel all classes can do all jobs if proper preparation has occurred or you're not going for top leaderboards

Whatever. No one asked you what, or who was the best class.

Try being helpful rather than trying to discourage someone because youre "Opinion" differs. Any class can do anything "Well" dependent upon the player.
    Just because you werr better at tanking with a DK does not mean someone else is not better at tanking with another class.