The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MagNB crit build, what is a good crit number?

billp_ESO
billp_ESO
✭✭✭✭
I just hit 30 on my magNB. I have spell crit at 60%, using Mother's Sorrow, Julianos, magelight, Thief stone, and the 12% crit from CP.

Is 60% a good number? or can I get it a lot higher? I could get a small bump from Divines traits, but what else can give me a big boost, if anything?
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could get it higher but would be probably sacrificing some DPS in order to get it. 60% is a decent crit rate for PVE.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Pepper8Jack
    Pepper8Jack
    ✭✭✭
    More divines pieces could increase your crit, using precise weapons would do the same. That said, going full crit will result in a net DPS loss due to the sacrifices being made in other areas as a result.
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sit normally around 72% crit chance and 80% crit damage modifier, un-buffed of course. Having a high crit chance (above 70%) is really good for sets like Scathing Mage, which I use.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    billp_ESO wrote: »
    I just hit 30 on my magNB.

If this isn't a typo (and I'm not misinterpreting this), I wouldn't pay attention to your stats until you hit cp160. You are currently battle leveled, so your stats will not accurately reflect what they will be at cp160. In general, save theorycrafting and optimizing for cp160.
    Kiss the chaos.
  • ImpOfThePerverse415
    If you have a choice between raising your crit chance and crit damage done, you want to try to make the two values equal to one another to optimize. So for stamina, if you're choosing between slotting camo hunter for crit chance and trap beast for crit damage, take the one that gets you closer to being equal. It's like optimizing the area of a rectangle - get the sides equal and make it a square for max area (total damage is area under the curve).
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Illurian wrote: »
    billp_ESO wrote: »
    I just hit 30 on my magNB.

If this isn't a typo (and I'm not misinterpreting this), I wouldn't pay attention to your stats until you hit cp160. You are currently battle leveled, so your stats will not accurately reflect what they will be at cp160. In general, save theorycrafting and optimizing for cp160.

So much this, you can respec everything in the game, don't worry about anything till you hit the level this guy says.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on June 29, 2017 2:12AM
  • billp_ESO
    billp_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm CP240 and just lvl 30 on this alt. My question was really trying to see what other people had for spell crit.

Sounds like you can get over 70%, I'm using Julianos now but may want to change to Scathing Mage.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My magblade has 71% crit with Scathing Mage and Infallible Aether, using the Thief stone. Scathing pretty much procs on cooldown, which I don't have to tell you is amazing.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • the_man_of_steal
    the_man_of_steal
    ✭✭✭
    60-75% depending on the fight... If you are doing trials and your damage or sustain is very low, do not sacrifice damage/sustain for that extra 5% crit. It's really a situational thing. At level 30 I doubt it matters that much. but good question
    Edited by the_man_of_steal on June 29, 2017 2:38PM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Standard endgame PvE magblade setup with 5p Scathing/Julianos + 3/4p Infal/Moon/Architect + 2p Skoria/Grothdarr/Ilambris with sharp weapons, all divines, all gold, Thief, Spell Precision, and Major Prophecy will put you at 70.1% crit with Infal or 67.0% crit with Moon/Architect, with one Assassination skill on your bar (you always want at least one on each bar for the Hemorrhage passive; add 2% for each additional skill on that bar).
    2. At level 30, I use all Training gear with the Atronach mundus and have crit that's something like half of that. Because outside of endgame content, you don't need to optimize, and resource sustain is more important. Plus, you don't realistically have access to certain sets at that level.
    3. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. There are trade-offs for running high crit; e.g., Mother's Sorrow gives you a lot of crit chance, but at the expense of higher base damage stats that you could've had if you used another set. Similarly, you could get higher crit chance with a Precise weapon, but you lose too much by giving up Sharpened. And for crit chance to be useful, you need to have a high crit damage modifier, too. But giving yourself more CHD in CP means taking points away from useful stars like Master at Arms.
    Edited by code65536 on June 29, 2017 4:23PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch