Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

LP it's an old complaint of mine

Cletus
Cletus
Today I find myself in Stormhaven needing to unlock a door to further the quest. I am so bad at this that to say I stink at it would be an understatement. Why would any game put this skill into a quest I do not understand. It was advised that I use a xbox controller to LP. I haven't bought one yet. In Skyrim LP was actually fun, how did it get so difficult in this game? Just a vent as I am frustrated by this.
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can always increase your Ledgermain so that opening locks by forcing is an option. If you max it out, I believe it is a 85% to force the lock without a lock pick and it is super quick. No chance to be noticed by a guard...even if you fail.
  • Cletus
    Cletus
    I had no idea that could happen. Thank you. But is it easy enough to do to raise ledgermain? How would I go about that?
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can increase that skill level by pickpocketing or stealing from containers and then fencing or laundering the goods. But sadly the best way to level that line is by picking a lot of locks.

It really isn't that tough when you get the hang of it. If you're struggling, I recommend making sure you have game sound up, and listening to the tumbler's "tell" in addition to watching for the wobble.
    Edited by Reverb on June 28, 2017 2:15PM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    L2LP issue. Just keep trying. Once you get the hang of it, it'll be easy.
    It only took a few days for my GF to master this art and new she's carelessly lockpicking Master chests left and right.
    LP in quests usually isn't that hard.
    Edited by Dracindo on June 28, 2017 2:20PM
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh.. Lock Picking.. LP usually means Learn to Play.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cletus wrote: »
    I had no idea that could happen. Thank you. But is it easy enough to do to raise ledgermain? How would I go about that?

There ways to really max out Ledgermain by stealing, then selling/laundering to Fence in a Thieves Refuge. Make sure you max out the selling/laundering each day. The trick is to pickpocket and murder your way to the top...stealing items. There are some places to farm this, such as any large city with a lot of yellow NPCs.
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darlgon wrote: »
    Oh.. Lock Picking.. LP usually means Learn to Play.

That's L2P.
  • Cletus
    Cletus
    Cletus wrote: »

There ways to really max out Ledgermain by stealing, then selling/laundering to Fence in a Thieves Refuge. Make sure you max out the selling/laundering each day. The trick is to pickpocket and murder your way to the top...stealing items. There are some places to farm this, such as any large city with a lot of yellow NPCs.

So I can kill my way to the top by killing off NPC's?

• MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I struggled with this for months.

When the lock starts to shake, STOP!

Practice, practice, practice.

For me, the best way to level Legerdemain was the two boats in Daggerfall. There are no NCPs to worry about. Rob them blind. Steal everything.

The Outlaw refuge is just up the hill. Fence everything. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Do this daily.
    PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It isn't too bad when you get the hang of it, but lock picks usually only last one or two lock before they break anyway. The force lock option is great for speed, but this also has a problem with an 80% chance to force a lock but will make you do it 4 or 5 times before that 80% works. It also uses one lock pick.
  • Cletus
    Cletus
    Is there a rule as to how many tumblers need to be locked down for each level of lock?
  • Cletus
    Cletus
    I struggled with this for months.

When the lock starts to shake, STOP!

Practice, practice, practice.

For me, the best way to level Legerdemain was the two boats in Daggerfall. There are no NCPs to worry about. Rob them blind. Steal everything.

The Outlaw refuge is just up the hill. Fence everything. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Do this daily.

The timer always runs out on me
  • Cletus
    Cletus
    Updating this : Buying a Xbox controller was suggested to me to help me learn LP. I got one last week and see how much better using this controller is. It actually vibrates when the tumblers start to shake. I find this so much easier to work the tumblers than a mouse button.
  • Pseron_Wyrd
    Pseron_Wyrd
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Lockpicking should never be required to finish quests.
  • ihazzit
    ihazzit
    ✭✭✭
    Another way that may help is to know the locks only have three positions, 1/3, 2/3, and all the way down. They all have the same 3 count pattern too so one can easily develop their own rhythm so that you press and hold for 1 count and let go, if it doesn't stick then press it for a 2 count, if it doesn't hold then you know the setting is all the way down. If you learn that pattern on a few simple locks you will see it easily translates up to Advanced and Master locks, you just have to move quicker to each lock pin of course.
    If you are angry about anything in this game you are only punishing yourself.