Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I've been told that Templar is the worst class for PvP...

Datolite
Datolite
✭✭✭✭✭
...but I know you guys can prove me wrong. What are your favorite builds or PvP videos of templars kicking ass? I know there are some holy warriors out there who can hold their own against the best and I want to learn from them.
  • R0C95
    R0C95
    Far from it. Pre morrowind my magplar was nasty. I ran 5 piece black rose 2 piece grothdarr 3 piece willpower jewelry and random destro and resto staff. Build worked very well.

With the update, I haven't had time to update gear but I would replace black rose with impreg in light and I'm assuming it would be a very nasty build still.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now it will have problems sustaining with the nefs to recovery CP and the Constitution passive, as well as the elimination of cost reduction from CP. You will either need to go 5 light or change 2/3 of your enchants to recovery.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...but I know you guys can prove me wrong. What are your favorite builds or PvP videos of templars kicking ass? I know there are some holy warriors out there who can hold their own against the best and I want to learn from them.

I nearly defeat all other Templar and some other good player with this playstyle:

2x Valkyns Skoria
    5x Kagrenacs Hope
    3x Willpower
    1x sharpened vMSA lightningstaff
    1x defending vMSA healingstaff

5x light/ 1x medium/ 1x heavy armor
    Max Magicka and max Spellpower only!
    Mundus: Thief or Atronarch

Vampires Bane, Destructive Reach, Elemental Blockade, Degeneration, Purifying Light; Soul Assoult
    Honor the Dead, Blazing Spear, Rapid Regeneration, Restoring Focus, Ritual of Retribution; Light's Champion

Important are 75 points in Traumarturge and doing heavy attacks allways, when you can cause of your low sustain..
    Place your Damagefields and Dots on enemy and hold your buffs active. Stay very static and trust me its much pressure ;)

p.s.: Templar is the weakest duellclass atm..
    Edited by DeHei on June 27, 2017 9:20PM
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars have the weakest burst from 100% health to 0. It doesn't mean in they are worst pvp class. They just are the worst at burst.

• kuro-dono
    kuro-dono
    ✭✭✭✭

as an stamina templar, i feel i have huge disadvantage, but that might be to do that i dont run bow or 2h in my build + no cheese
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamplars are at the bottom for stam classes this update. Doesn't mean we can't kill anyone though. Lol
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's not like radiant destruction has completely gone away...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    Templars have the weakest burst from 100% health to 0. It doesn't mean in they are worst pvp class. They just are the worst at burst.

You can have massive burst on a light armor weared Templar. I killed a magicka sorc viau (he was Emperor) solo with these burst, because he thought there dont come much pressure!

But it is just a deal.. more Damage for less defence. Only your heals let you survive :| and Templar need a static fight.. This kind of fighting is the weekness. How much times i need to replace the focus and ritual on ground in cyrodiil or IC while fighting.. I need to move. Without this defenseskills i am dead very fast...
    Edited by DeHei on June 28, 2017 3:29AM
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplars have decent dps it's just their burst is far behind every other class plus no animation cancellation with channelled attacks.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing special about Templars.

Nightlades can disengage the fight whenever they want with cloak.

Sorcs can dash away, have pets, and a really strong burst.

Dragonknights are very strong right now.

I know nothing about wardens.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars dont have good burst...lol wut? From what i have seen templars have the strongest burst available. Its just, that no one plays a templar for burst, they play them for sustained damage. I can drop a toon from 25k to zero in two seconds, with full impen and non heavy. If my enemy is in heavy it might take three seconds...

Unstable core, dark flare, javelin, radiant. Use soul assault for dodgers and DK wings, along with unstable core. Thats it...plays similar to a sorc but more damage. DF hits harder than frags, javelin can proc burning light, unstable core hits for rediculous numbers. 1vX is much different as well, you have to focus on killing a target instead of just tickling him. Ive killed three players in a row with this combo all 600CP+. All it takes is for them to underestimate your damage thats fixing to wreck them.

That time when a stam user forgets to cast shuffle, you hit the UC on him, he charges, you cast DF, javelin, and radiant, with DF, UC and javelin hitting at the same time....rediculous damage. I LOVE when my enemies charge from max distance XD
  • Jawasa
    Jawasa
    ✭✭✭
    Darkflare will only work if you xv1. i come up against a few DF users in bg's i just bash and Thank them for the free cc.

But Yeah templar can do some great dmg in pvp the key is potl and using la for the extra pen and crit. You can go melee with jabbs like braidas or if you go a bit range i think @DeHei playstyle is to recommend i lost 2 fights va him 1v1 in a bg on My templar.
  • kuro-dono
    kuro-dono
    ✭✭✭✭
    but how about mah stamina templar ;/// who cares about cheese magica templars, where is mah staminaaaaa oouuu ouuuu ouuuuuu!
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LoL.

MagDK says hello.

Purifying Light says hello.

Templars are only outmatched in burst, by Sorcs and Procstackers.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar in PvP have advantages and disadvantages just like every class. Burst dmg is lacking, but purifying light gives us just enough and like discussed before we still have possibly the best execute in the game(besides sorc in BGs :( ) If you go light armor you will have great sustain and dmg, but you will be squishy. I still prefer hvy armor for 1vX scenerios and BGs and the increased cost for spells that came with the morrowind patch is noticeable as well as the loss to major mending. There are ways around this though by either slotting 1 recov/reduced cost glyph instead of dmg or by race changing to Argonian to get that juicy 10% extra healing and 4600 extra mag/stam/health from potions.
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • kuro-dono
    kuro-dono
    ✭✭✭✭
    does my stamina templar get ignored ://
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worst class for AvA is the dude who thinks, because he picked the best class/race/gear/build, he does not have to know how to play.
    Edited by Darlgon on June 28, 2017 12:41PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half of the people in this thread are wrong, Templar has some of the highest burst in the game, both stam and magicka. That's without situational skills like Dark Flare.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar have burst, but it is situational and unfortunately those situations trend toward Xv1 fights rather than 1vX.

@kuro-dono - Stamplars may not look great on a Target Skeleton DPS parse, but if played correctly, they are a strong class.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars are strong in PvP, though I speak from a No CP/Battlegrounds standpoint. Id recommend going 7/7 Light Armor btw.

In fact, as a whole, every class can be used to great efficiency for both Magicka and Stamina at least in Battlegrounds. I can't recall the last time PvP was like this.

However, you will find you are always below the curve if not running proc sets as a Stamina build. Right now proc sets are overperforming by quite a lot.... Stam DK, Stam NB, and Magicka DK are the most popular builds I'm seeing in Battlegrounds atm.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care for unstable core because it gives cc immunity and the reflect aspect of the skill is very situational.

I'm sure there is all sorts of situations where certain combos/skills work well but I generally find the best time to use UC is in a big spam battle zerg fest.

I run

sweeps, radiant aura, rit of ret, inner light, drain essence, (replenishing barrier)

Radiant glory, aura javelin, honor the dead, dampen magicka, vampires bane (soul assault)

Most fights I'm either up close using sweeps in my ritual of retribution puddle or I'm trying to stay away to set up my javelin, soul assault, radiant glory combo.
  • kuro-dono
    kuro-dono
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar have burst, but it is situational and unfortunately those situations trend toward Xv1 fights rather than 1vX.

@kuro-dono - Stamplars may not look great on a Target Skeleton DPS parse, but if played correctly, they are a strong class.

3 years of stamina templaring, and never felt great :D had more success slotting cheese than being actually stamina templar
  • bubbygink
    bubbygink
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL - Templars who say this are the ones who refuse to slot Purifying Light / Power of the Light. Both stam and magicka templars have great burst when using that skill - especially when also using proc sets like Skoria / Selene which have huge proc rates for templars because of sweeps/jabs.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maplars have more offensive that benefit group fights. Healing+ applied group burst (purfying light) is very effective when you want to fight 6vX. Unstable core adds that AOE burst that can also pull a NB out of stealth if you tag them first. The class is more akin to a support dps leadership class; long range abilities that can help give your group extra stacked burst, ranged single target AOE burst, fast healing without resto staff.

For solo play, if you don't build for speed, many of the abilities don't make sense. Like jabs is too slow, channels lock your mobility, your heavy hitting spell has a long cast time that is also reflected+dodged, no AOE stun, etc. Once you start using speed pots, you can offset jabs stationary use, and put yourself in a position where you can apply pressure at range.

It's not the best, but I find it more fun than other classes.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solo, they ARE the worst.
  • kuro-dono
    kuro-dono
    ✭✭✭✭
    bubbygink wrote: »

LOL - Templars who say this are the ones who refuse to slot Purifying Light / Power of the Light. Both stam and magicka templars have great burst when using that skill - especially when also using proc sets like Skoria / Selene which have huge proc rates for templars because of sweeps/jabs.

i feel shamed of using templar skills, so much cheese, everyone hates jesus beam n00blets, and that power of the light, there was good ol time when me and my few other stamina templars in ts applied the skill to certain players, you dps them little bit and you forget them and oh couple sec later got the kill for the poor soul.

the targets hate it with passion ow you get kill without actively fighting the person.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the comment has context. If you compare puryfing light to other conditional bursts, we have to actually deal DMG for it to do more than 1.5-3k DMG. Nightblade, ignoring the dumb light attack procing for spectral bow, can just press the light attack button and it will still count towards procing the bow lol. Sorcs get a free recast of curse that does more DMG and their mag casts cause instant frag burst lol. Warden+DK are worse, but they get an aoe snare...

Plus if you face another Templar, it's just a light show, as you can purge the ability. Best templar DMG has always been valkyn procs+jabs.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • kuro-dono
    kuro-dono
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Well the comment has context. If you compare puryfing light to other conditional bursts, we have to actually deal DMG for it to do more than 1.5-3k DMG. Nightblade, ignoring the dumb light attack procing for spectral bow, can just press the light attack button and it will still count towards procing the bow lol. Sorcs get a free recast of curse that does more DMG and their mag casts cause instant frag burst lol. Warden+DK are worse, but they get an aoe snare...

Plus if you face another Templar, it's just a light show, as you can purge the ability. Best templar DMG has always been valkyn procs+jabs.

i actually find it funny when you say that. i love my javelin jab jab valkyn combo, it works fairly well. but then... vast majority of time not so well :D it works only once per combat, then you need to do something else. BUT. what makes it most comical is that wait a sec.. valkyn... isnt that more of magica set...? ah so magica templar woohoo! but how about my poor stamina t emplar?using magica set that works with the kit so well... so ehh that gets me thinking i would LOVE TO HAVE efficiently and good hyprid setup then, sadly zenimax idea of hyprid isnt same as those who enjoy competive combat system.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars and burst lol I played one for almost 3 years , you're not bursting any competent player down but some bad built player sure.

And some of these suggestions for burst are only viable for xv1 situations, having those skills slotted in a 1vx will be useless.

I think people are confusing killing a bad player as having burst but if you put it in perspective you can get on other classes & do that much better.

There's also a huge difference between good damage and high burst , magplar has good damage but a stam blade has good burst. People often confuse the two , they can be synonymous but for magplar it isn't.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuro-dono wrote: »
    Minno wrote: »

i actually find it funny when you say that. i love my javelin jab jab valkyn combo, it works fairly well. but then... vast majority of time not so well :D it works only once per combat, then you need to do something else. BUT. what makes it most comical is that wait a sec.. valkyn... isnt that more of magica set...? ah so magica templar woohoo! but how about my poor stamina t emplar?using magica set that works with the kit so well... so ehh that gets me thinking i would LOVE TO HAVE efficiently and good hyprid setup then, sadly zenimax idea of hyprid isnt same as those who enjoy competive combat system.

Well jabs alone is terrible for relying on procing skoria. I'm usually using a poison dot, structured entropy, lighting staff and vamps bane along with either bats or empowering sweeps and making sure I target the player I want to burst on cooldown. I'm also filing in dmg with jabs not trying to rely on it 100%; which works better after CC application, using in conjunction with unstable core+purfying light combos to overwelm their attention in order to make them forget they have two 4k+ delayed DMG spelled on them, and making sure you have your minor protection buffs (via rune).

Yes it's for magplar. Some players would dispute this, but magplar > stamplar for PvP.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual