Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dwarven Crown Crate Season kinda sucks

ShadowNight16
ShadowNight16
Soul Shriven
Let's look at some of this stuff:

1. Three Motif Styles that DON'T need to be here! The Order of the Hour and Minotaur styles are soooo easy to obtain. Just be like normal people, and farm from the Gold Coast dailies. They're a waste being set as something you can get from a Crown Crate. If I wanted it, why not just put it with the other Motifs?

2. The Dwarven mounts kind of suck. Compared to the Wild Hunt mounts, these just aren't that aesthetically-pleasing.

3. Bonnets... Really, ZOS?... Bonnets? One, these look ugly. Two, who wears a bonnet...? Three, did I mention they're ugly?

4. You can't get rid of costumes our hats you don't like. The bonnets are ugly, and I don't know why or how someone would otherwise think that. We should be able to extract gems from any costume or hat that we don't like, and let that be able to get us what we actually want.

5. The actual costumes aren't that grand, either. The Nedic armor isn't as bad as the other stuff, but I'd like to opt-out of wearing antlers. There's three Ordinator costumes that don't feel that different besides VERY subtle adjustments (Night-Raid and Hand of Almalexia shoulders change ever-so-slightly).

6. Dwemervamidium Mirage glitches. Since logging in, I walked around in Orsinium and saw the armor here... just casually in the air. It hasn't moved nor been removed since seeing it.

7. Hero costumes and Clavicus stuff personally are the only good items. People may think otherwise, but the closest things I'd buy-- sorry, that I'd roll the dice and pray to RNGesus to give me-- would be the Hero outfits, or the Clavicus Vile stuff.

ZOS, you can do so much better with this. I know you can. Some of this stuff just doesn't belong in a Crown Crate season, but just plainly in the store itself. People want the Wolf Lord outfit and hopefully a Vampire Lord one as well, not re-textures and re-skins of items like the Ordinator and what not. If the Hero outfits have shown up multiple times now, then why not just put them in the Wardrobe section of the Crown Store? You can remove the "Armored Knights Pack" and "Stealthy Rogues Pack" to replace them with much cooler outfits.
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) They release all the motifs (except one, apparently) on the store eventually; instead of crowns, we get them in crates this time. Probably because they are so easy to obtain - nobody would pay Crowns for them.

2) MAN, they really do.

3) Agreed.

4) That's always been a thing; it's not a (non)feature exclusive to this crate season.

5) Both those costume sets have been previously available and like the Dro M'athra senche, are now returning so people who missed them can obtain them.

6) They'll probably fix it during maintenance, if not roll out a sneaky patch behind the scenes.

7) Agreed! Though I also like the dual-colored dwarven mounts. Unfortunately, since I can't exchange gems for them, I doubt I'll actually go for them if I'm unlucky with my crate budget. Which is a shame. They do look pretty cool.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • ShadowNight16
    ShadowNight16
    Soul Shriven
    The multi-colored dwarven mounts are better than the bland ones, I feel. The color of dwarven stuff is just so plain without that other stuff. I feel like there's so much potential with the Crown Crates being wasted, and the crates are being flooded with so much bad stuff, that there's not much worth. I may buy like 4 Crown Crates to see if I get anything good, but Idk about anything else.
    Another thing that sucks is the advertising for Morrowind's pre-order showed four crates, but you only got one when the game launched. At least I did, and I didn't just buy the upgrade, but instead also got the bear, horse, Morag Tong conversion, etc, and I feel another crate or two for that would've been great!
  • Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm not gonna argue the points made by OP. Except to say I'm really put off buying more crates at the moment. Why? I opened eight crates today and got FOUR Bal Foyen Nix-Hound cards! Sure, for the three 'excess' cards I got five grown gems each - total 15 crown gems. Here's the thing though; to buy another superior reward takes sixteen crown gems. Five crown gems as compensation for getting a repeat superior item is just unfair. Getting that same reward four times in eight crates is just ludicrous. I'm aware of the whole RNG system and debate but ... come on!
    Edited by Night_Watch on June 22, 2017 6:25PM
    "If there is an underlying oneness of all things, it does not matter where we begin, whether with stars, or laws of supply and demand, or frogs, or Napoleon Bonaparte. One measures a circle, beginning anywhere."

Charles Fort - Lo! (1931)
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's true, they are kind of bland-looking. There's only so much you can do with brass/bronze, really; the Dwemer were known for their intricate and sophisticated machinery... not so much their aesthetic designer.

Also agreed that one crate isn't much of a sample size, but for people who got something good, I'm sure it was a brilliant advert. For those who didn't, well... No new customers there, I reckon.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • ShadowNight16
    ShadowNight16
    Soul Shriven
    Well, I don't understand why they'd show that you'd get four crates, but instead only got one.

discovery-pack.jpg

Pretty misleading if you ask me. Got my hopes up, ZOS. </3
  • Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I don't understand why they'd show that you'd get four crates, but instead only got one.

discovery-pack.jpg

Pretty misleading if you ask me. Got my hopes up, ZOS. </3

I know the picture shows four crates but the wording means you only get one cate not many crates. Ambiguity on the part of ZOS? Maybe. Deliberately misleading? I personally do not think so.

OK! OK! I get it. I seem to be a 'white knight'! I'm really not - just view my previous comment! I have plenty to say against ZOS - just do not think the info is misleading in this case.
    Edited by Night_Watch on June 22, 2017 6:41PM
    "If there is an underlying oneness of all things, it does not matter where we begin, whether with stars, or laws of supply and demand, or frogs, or Napoleon Bonaparte. One measures a circle, beginning anywhere."

Charles Fort - Lo! (1931)
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's look at some of this stuff:

1. Three Motif Styles that DON'T need to be here! The Order of the Hour and Minotaur styles are soooo easy to obtain. Just be like normal people, and farm from the Gold Coast dailies. They're a waste being set as something you can get from a Crown Crate. If I wanted it, why not just put it with the other Motifs?

2. The Dwarven mounts kind of suck. Compared to the Wild Hunt mounts, these just aren't that aesthetically-pleasing.

3. Bonnets... Really, ZOS?... Bonnets? One, these look ugly. Two, who wears a bonnet...? Three, did I mention they're ugly?

latest?cb=20130224175253

4. You can't get rid of costumes our hats you don't like. The bonnets are ugly, and I don't know why or how someone would otherwise think that. We should be able to extract gems from any costume or hat that we don't like, and let that be able to get us what we actually want.

5. The actual costumes aren't that grand, either. The Nedic armor isn't as bad as the other stuff, but I'd like to opt-out of wearing antlers. There's three Ordinator costumes that don't feel that different besides VERY subtle adjustments (Night-Raid and Hand of Almalexia shoulders change ever-so-slightly).

6. Dwemervamidium Mirage glitches. Since logging in, I walked around in Orsinium and saw the armor here... just casually in the air. It hasn't moved nor been removed since seeing it.

7. Hero costumes and Clavicus stuff personally are the only good items. People may think otherwise, but the closest things I'd buy-- sorry, that I'd roll the dice and pray to RNGesus to give me-- would be the Hero outfits, or the Clavicus Vile stuff.

ZOS, you can do so much better with this. I know you can. Some of this stuff just doesn't belong in a Crown Crate season, but just plainly in the store itself. People want the Wolf Lord outfit and hopefully a Vampire Lord one as well, not re-textures and re-skins of items like the Ordinator and what not. If the Hero outfits have shown up multiple times now, then why not just put them in the Wardrobe section of the Crown Store? You can remove the "Armored Knights Pack" and "Stealthy Rogues Pack" to replace them with much cooler outfits.
  • ShadowNight16
    ShadowNight16
    Soul Shriven
    Showing four crates but being singular in spelling can be viewed as ZOS making a typo. They still should've made it show a singular crate, though, if it was going to actually be a singular crate.
  • barbas
    barbas
    Soul Shriven
    They had cool masks, one was like a visor, but only chose the extremely ugly 'horned' variation for the crates. But put in all of the bonnets ahahaha. Really bad taste and a horrible season besides the few dwemer things and Clavicus stuff.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with most of the post, except for #2 and #7. I don't think the hero costumes and Clavicus stuff are the only good items. There are a lot of other things in there I want.
    The bonnets and helmets are really awful. Oh, and those eyebrow shields are freaking terrible. :#
    I do want the striped wolf and both hairs, though, and some of the other pets and mounts.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Re: antlers on the Nedic costumes, Hide Helmet is your friend. :)
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Surfinginhawaii
    Surfinginhawaii
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad you can purchase the Dro m'athra Senche, I've been wanting that mount ever since I came back (was gone for almost a year) to the game and saw someone on it. The Dro m'athra Senche, it is by far my favorite mount.
    Edited by Surfinginhawaii on June 23, 2017 5:52AM
  • Zhaedri
    Zhaedri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only things I really want out of these crates are the pets, costumes, and that Narsis guar. Also would not be opposed to the motifs.

The hats and eyeshadows are hideous. Not fond of the hair offerings or the furnishings. The apex mounts are kinda fugly -- would be neat to get, but the RNG is rigged against me (who typically spends 4500 crowns or less on crates each season) getting one, though it'd be neat.

Riding training is cool too, only one of the consumables I don't rip for gems. The rest of the first two tiers (common and fine) are junk In my opinion.

Wish I could direct buy this stuff with crowns instead of having to gamble with the rigged RNG to get the item or rip gems from junk or be insulted with the amount of gems as replacement for duplicate things. And yes, the gem replacement value of duplicate things is insulting to say the least (1/3 the gem value doesn't even give you enough for an item from the next tier down).

Overall, after buying and opening crown crates, I feel sad, empty, disappointed, insulted, and ripped off. And each 'season' seems to be worse with lower drop rates of higher tier stuff, rigged towards dropping specific things (*coughnixhoundcough*), insulting gem replacement rates, more 'common/fine' junk offerings, and overall less satisfaction. Gems... a microtransaction within a microtransaction? Terrible!

Direct-buy, non-lottery/gambling/rng items do not give the same sad feeling; I WANT to support the game and its development, so I will fork over for direct buy costumes/costume packs, mounts, pets, etc that I want. Forcing me to play this stupid gambling game to get those things is frustrating and pathetic.
    @Zhaedri PC NA

• Crowzer
    Crowzer
    ✭✭✭
    Spent 5500 crowns yesterday in crates (my first and last mistake).

Got the bonnet, 5X eyebrow-shields & 6Xmonoculars and flag for house (don't know the name in english for them).
    Alos the brown dog, normal guar mount, Nedic armor and a lot of crown stuff as potion, soul gems, etc..

But at least, I got 115 gems to spent.

How long is a season ?
    Edited by Crowzer on June 23, 2017 9:22AM
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would really like the Guar mount but ugh. Ive been avid about crates and the one season I might bite turns out to be set up bad :<
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree about the Dwarves mounts -- I think they look wonderful and would love to have them all, if I could buy them outright.

However, everything that I'm hearing about this season in other threads has convinced me that I'm right to stay well clear of that Huge Sucking Sound called Crown Crates.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I do want the striped wolf and both hairs, though, and some of the other pets and mounts.
    Had to quote myself here, because I bought crates last night and managed to get the striped wolf and one of the hairs (the braided one). I had saved some crowns from the crown sale they'd had earlier in the year.
    35449911566_dbc4b960cc_c.jpg
    Edited by SydneyGrey on June 23, 2017 6:30PM
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really? The Clavicus stuff is good? How is a banner that's just a reskin of the fifty banners in the game a good item to win from a $2.50 crown crate?
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    Really? The Clavicus stuff is good? How is a banner that's just a reskin of the fifty banners in the game a good item to win from a $2.50 crown crate?

I quite like the banners. Collected quite a few of them. Even bought some from the cs. Strange what people will collect huh?
    Edited by Stopnaggin on June 28, 2017 7:50PM
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The alliance hero costumes are the only reason I got any dwarves crates, but I don't see myself buying any more crates in the future now. The drop odds for these crates are worse than any other game I've seen with a gambling system. The item to gem exchange rate is a complete rip off as well.
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought 60 crates and do not regret it at all.

I actually like the Apex mounts and would ride the Camel more were it not a bit slow to start if you jump a lot like me (The Guar is atrocious if you jump!)

I didn't get everything I wanted, but I bought the eyeshadows I was missing with my gems from trading in the one-shot items like potions. I don't feel the crates are negative or bad, which seems to put me at odds with everyone else who didn't get lucky when gambling.
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I bought 60 crates and do not regret it at all.

I actually like the Apex mounts and would ride the Camel more were it not a bit slow to start if you jump a lot like me (The Guar is atrocious if you jump!)

I didn't get everything I wanted, but I bought the eyeshadows I was missing with my gems from trading in the one-shot items like potions. I don't feel the crates are negative or bad, which seems to put me at odds with everyone else who didn't get lucky when gambling.

I wouldn't say that you got "lucky" after buying 60 crates. You're bound to get at least a few cool things if you shell out that much, which is what the devs are trying to pull people into doing.

Most people would like to have at least a decent chance of getting something good for the crates they purchase, instead of having to buy them by the dozens.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought 15 crates, ended up with the Dwarven Horse, which I didn't want... I only ride Senche mounts... but walked away with enough gems to buy the Dwarven Senche outright. Also received the Minotaur style, which out of the crate styles offered, is the only one that I wanted. People complain about the appearance of the Dwarven mounts, saying the Wild Hunt was better... ugh... I think the Dwarven mounts are heaps above the Wild Hunt... at least I don't have to listen to 'crunch... crunch... crunch' as I move across the land like the Wild Hunt mount sounds make. After trying to use my Wild Hunt Senche, I switched back to my Atronach Senche because I couldn't stand the movement sounds... sadly, even the Dwarven Spider sounds became grating after awhile. Thankfully the Dwarven Senche mount doesn't have any detracting movement sounds.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • fyrestrtr88
    fyrestrtr88
    ✭✭
    I must admit, with the the purchase of my first 30 crown crates, I was not very happy...although, once I purchased at least 45-60 that definitely changed! I love having new mounts and new costumes. It's actually kind of thrilling to buy that 15 pack of crown crates, and make your way through each one, hoping to get something that sparks your interest. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. People keep badmouthing crown crates, but honestly, they are completely fair, and some people really enjoy them.
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I must admit, with the the purchase of my first 30 crown crates, I was not very happy...although, once I purchased at least 45-60 that definitely changed! I love having new mounts and new costumes. It's actually kind of thrilling to buy that 15 pack of crown crates, and make your way through each one, hoping to get something that sparks your interest. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. People keep badmouthing crown crates, but honestly, they are completely fair, and some people really enjoy them.

How are crown crates "completely fair" if you have to buy dozens and dozens of them in order to get anything decent? The majority of people who are only willing / able to buy a handful or two get completely screwed due to how terrible the drop odds are.

If the drop odds were at least decent, then Zeni probably wouldn't have a problem with releasing those odds, but they refuse to do so.
  • fyrestrtr88
    fyrestrtr88
    ✭✭
    Stovahkiin wrote: »

How are crown crates "completely fair" if you have to buy dozens and dozens of them in order to get anything decent? The majority of people who are only willing / able to buy a handful or two get completely screwed due to how terrible the drop odds are.

If the drop odds were at least decent, then Zeni probably wouldn't have a problem with releasing those odds, but they refuse to do so.

I just think it's fair because it's a gamble, yet some people end up happy in the end. I may not get exactly what I want, but at least after a few tries, I get something cool. Some people get very lucky, and only buy a few crates. I've had to purchase quite a few to get what I want, but it won't deter me from trying more in the future. The drop rates may not be the best, but it's the same for gambling with anything. The lottery has some very interesting odds, but you have no chance of winning, unless you purchase a ticket. In this instance, the tickets are a little more expensive, but the prizes are totally worth it (depending on who you ask) I wish that I could get what I wanted within the first 15 crates, but then there really wouldn't be any point in having crown crates.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just think it's fair because it's a gamble, yet some people end up happy in the end. I may not get exactly what I want, but at least after a few tries, I get something cool. Some people get very lucky, and only buy a few crates. I've had to purchase quite a few to get what I want, but it won't deter me from trying more in the future. The drop rates may not be the best, but it's the same for gambling with anything. The lottery has some very interesting odds, but you have no chance of winning, unless you purchase a ticket. In this instance, the tickets are a little more expensive, but the prizes are totally worth it (depending on who you ask) I wish that I could get what I wanted within the first 15 crates, but then there really wouldn't be any point in having crown crates.
    The tickets may be more expensive, but you also have a LOT higher chance of actually winning something decent. Like, a thousand times higher, probably. Actual lotteries have absolutely terrible odds.
    At least with the crates you're guaranteed to get SOMETHING with every crate, even if it's crap.