The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

forum phishing?

mook-eb16_ESO
mook-eb16_ESO
✭✭✭✭
I received this pm, it seemed more like phishing, than a real post.

"I was searching through the forum and I came across your posting where you found an item !
By any chance, do you still happen to carry the item with you and if so, are you in EU-PC server?

I am a collector of all things unique and I would love to inquire more about this beauty! My ultimate goal is to establish a museum of sort where all the unique items are displayed for everyone to see!

I sincerely hope to hear from you soon! I know that you have not logged for several months now, but I would be greatly honored if you could reach me!"
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is this phishing?
  • mook-eb16_ESO
    mook-eb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    why would any one bother to send someone this pm on the forums?
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda sounds like someone in this thread:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4242332#Comment_4242332

Probably searching for a unique item and you posted about finding one sometime in the past 3 years.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Fallen_Ray
    Fallen_Ray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've been chosen by... @The_Antiquarian
    "Dear brother, I do not spread rumors, I create them"- Lucien Lachance
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds more like an honest inquiry as to whether or not you have a certain item in your possession.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two things about this are suspicious:
    1. It doesn't name a specific item... it just says "an item." If I were contacting someone for a specific trade, I'd make sure I'd name exactly what item I'm interested in, especially if it's rare.
    2. They state they want to start a "museum." The only kinds of rare item that would work for this idea is furnishings... you can't display weapons, armor, etc. in ESO housing. So unless you've been posting about finding rare paintings, that explanation is a lie. This wording would be very easy to pull over from another MMO that does allow weapon and armor displays in player housing.

My money would be on phishing, yeah, possibly to set up some sort of in-game trade scam.

It is possible it's an honest pm. If so, feel free to follow up with them about what, exactly, their offer is, but know that if you respond and they are in fact scammers who sent this out to a hundred+ accounts, you mark yourself as a target.

I'd ignore it. If they send you a second inquiry, they may actually be interested, but I'd put my money on not.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. It doesn't name a specific item... it just says "an item." If I were contacting someone for a specific trade, I'd make sure I'd name exactly what item I'm interested in, especially if it's rare.
    2. They state they want to start a "museum." The only kinds of rare item that would work for this idea is furnishings... you can't display weapons, armor, etc. in ESO housing. So unless you've been posting about finding rare paintings, that explanation is a lie. This wording would be very easy to pull over from another MMO that does allow weapon and armor displays in player housing.

My money would be on phishing, yeah, possibly to set up some sort of in-game trade scam.

It is possible it's an honest pm. If so, feel free to follow up with them about what, exactly, their offer is, but know that if you respond and they are in fact scammers who sent this out to a hundred+ accounts, you mark yourself as a target.

I'd ignore it. If they send you a second inquiry, they may actually be interested, but I'd put my money on not.

@BlackSparrow, I'm positive it's not scam and is @The_Antiquarian from THIS thread.

SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely not phishing or a scam. I've seen that person make comments and threads all the time about wanting to acquire discontinued items in the game
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CarbonX wrote: »

@BlackSparrow, I'm positive it's not scam and is @The_Antiquarian from THIS thread.

Fair enough, though the use of what is clearly a form letter for the PM is still odd. *shrug*

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

• CaptainBeerDude
    CaptainBeerDude
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CarbonX wrote: »

Fair enough, though the use of what is clearly a form letter for the PM is still odd. *shrug*

Maybe English isn't their first language
  • The_Antiquarian
    The_Antiquarian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow I am famous! I've been called all things, but being called as a perpetrator of Nigerian phishing scam is a first!

"I was searching through the forum and I came across your posting where you found an item !
    By any chance, do you still happen to carry the item with you and if so, are you in EU-PC server?

I am a collector of all things unique and I would love to inquire more about this beauty! My ultimate goal is to establish a museum of sort where all the unique items are displayed for everyone to see!

I sincerely hope to hear from you soon! I know that you have not logged for several months now, but I would be greatly honored if you could reach me!"

I apologize for the abruptness of my message! Upon perusing more than 900 search results for the bugged item with red question mark as its icon, I messaged individually to EVERY PLAYERS I CAN who claimed to have once received the item, in the hopes that I can learn everything I can about its origin, the drop source, and etc. I apologize for not being more specific on the "item" as I have also responded to those who once held other varying type of unique items.

I have sent messages to more than many dozens of players and as most of these players have not logged on to the game for more than two years or so, I assumed adding a lil bit of civility and formality would entice the folks to at least respond to my message with either "yes" or "no." :)
    Edited by The_Antiquarian on June 19, 2017 11:19PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got old soul gems @The_Antiquarian could use ... but sadly I'm on NA PC.
  • The_Antiquarian
    The_Antiquarian
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got old soul gems @The_Antiquarian could use ... but sadly I'm on NA PC.

Cool forum ID :)

I am crossing my fingers that one day, cross-server would be possible. Thank you very much for letting me know!
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have sent messages to more than many dozens of players and as most of these players have not logged on to the game for more than two years or so, I assumed adding a lil bit of civility and formality would entice the folks to at least respond to my message with either "yes" or "no." :)

It's not the civility that pings my phishing-dar.... it's the fact that you never mention what item you're looking for. No judgement on the form letter itself; I work in communications, so I know the usefulness of form letters. XD

But a tip if you don't want to ping the phishing-dar of people like me? (Read: ridiculously skeptical)... name the rare item you saw them mention. It's real quick: just replace "an item!" with whatever it is you have interest in. Trust me as someone who sends out subscription-based emails in the counts of thousands at a time; that little bit of personalization can work wonders to assure people that your interest in genuine. Bulk-sent scams are all too common out on the great wide interwebs, and people like you who have legitimate messages pay the price for that. You may have lost out on a couple of these neat items because you didn't add that extra little word, because those players assumed the same thing I did.

Anyway, good luck in your venture! It sounds like a useful effort, and as someone who's been here since launch, your thread is a fun trip down memory lane. :)

My Girls:

• WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heheheheh I actually remember reading some posts from this guy. I too have one of those such items, an invisible chest piece with a question mark. I can somewhat relate because I bough it and a full xivkyn motif for the same purpose: just to let it collect dust.

NA PC btw. Sorry.
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • The_Antiquarian
    The_Antiquarian
    ✭✭✭✭

But a tip if you don't want to ping the phishing-dar of people like me? (Read: ridiculously skeptical)... name the rare item you saw them mention. It's real quick: just replace "an item!" with whatever it is you have interest in. Trust me as someone who sends out subscription-based emails in the counts of thousands at a time; that little bit of personalization can work wonders to assure people that your interest in genuine. Bulk-sent scams are all too common out on the great wide interwebs, and people like you who have legitimate messages pay the price for that. You may have lost out on a couple of these neat items because you didn't add that extra little word, because those players assumed the same thing I did.

Anyway, good luck in your venture! It sounds like a useful effort, and as someone who's been here since launch, your thread is a fun trip down memory lane. :)

Greetings! Thank you very much for the tip. As an accountant by profession, perhaps it would've been best if I wrote my messages in excel instead =P

I did specify the item as follows;

"I was searching through the forum and I came across your posting where you found an item with red question mark! By any chance, do you still happen to carry the item with you and if so, are you in EU-PC server?"

I suppose I should have been more specific with the name of the item, but I believe there were myriad number of names designated and hence, my initial insistence on labeling them as "items with red question mark"

I can't possibly place myself amongst the earliest players like yourself. If I didn't take a break for a year and half (thanks to my newborn son), I should have been all caught up with all these oddities!

Anyhow, thank you for the encouragement and enjoy Morrowind!
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fishing for rare items eh? Khajiit is interested.

Oh wait that kind of phishing ..

Sad whiskers.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow I am famous! I've been called all things, but being called as a perpetrator of Nigerian phishing scam is a first!

I apologize for the abruptness of my message! Upon perusing more than 900 search results for the bugged item with red question mark as its icon, I messaged individually to EVERY PLAYERS I CAN who claimed to have once received the item, in the hopes that I can learn everything I can about its origin, the drop source, and etc. I apologize for not being more specific on the "item" as I have also responded to those who once held other varying type of unique items.

Lol! Hopefully you have not been put on any "do not fly lists" for your innocent question. I like your idea of having a museum for discontinued items.
    Give 'er eh!
  • mook-eb16_ESO
    mook-eb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can sell you some belly button fluff for 20 million gold if your are interested.