Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Skill Point Exploit & Account Suspensions

• Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warraxx wrote: »
    3-days, that'll teach'em... *sarcasm*

Well in all fairness, this is strike one.

Edit* It will be interesting to see what happens to the Warden Teleport exploiters in IC...
    Edited by Idinuse on June 2, 2017 2:20AM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • kip_silverwolf
    kip_silverwolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The scale of the suspensions does not match the anecdotal reports in here and the resulting fears.

If it just takes 2 skill points, and everyone who met that was suspended, are we to assume that there are only 300 people across both PC megaservers killing group dungeon bosses two or more times?

It cannot be that easy to trip across this by accident.

But was it across all servers? Can anyone from EU confirm this?

For the record, I also reported it as soon as I realised - reported it twice actually, before leaving the dungeon, and suffered the banhammer for it

Still, if there are only 300 players on PC NA that killed a dungeon boss two or more times, and got two or more skill points, I would think they should be more concerned about why people stopped playing than skill point exploits.

As it occurred not long after early release for Morrowind, I would imagine many people were busy in Vvardenfell. That could explain why more people weren't affected
    "I'm going to live forever..or at least die trying"

drunken Nord & Tamriel streaker since Arena

• out51d3r
    out51d3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    As it occurred not long after early release for Morrowind, I would imagine many people were busy in Vvardenfell. That could explain why more people weren't affected

I'm guessing it was a bug that came with the Morrowind patch, and was fixed relatively quickly. And as you said, most people would have been in Vvardenfell for that time period.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they get a free skill point reset for cheating. I bet they will be devastated.
  • Juli'St
    Juli'St
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last week, there was an exploit reported on PC that allowed you to repeatedly gain skill points from a single location. We have since fixed this issue as of our most recent incremental patch, but accounts had not yet been actioned… until now. This afternoon, we’ll be suspending close to 300 PC accounts that were found exploiting this issue. In addition to a 3-day suspension, affected accounts will have all skill points reset to their original state before this exploit occurred.

We encourage everyone to review the Terms of Service and Code of Conduct. If you’re unsure if you’ve found an exploit in ESO, please reach out to a staff member or contact Support.

Gj, ZOS.
  • Shadow-Fighter
    Shadow-Fighter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last week, there was an exploit reported on PC that allowed you to repeatedly gain skill points from a single location.

But why have you banned that guy who reported too?
    Edited by Shadow-Fighter on June 2, 2017 4:18AM
    Natch Potes is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last week, there was an exploit reported on PC that allowed you to repeatedly gain skill points from a single location. We have since fixed this issue as of our most recent incremental patch, but accounts had not yet been actioned… until now. This afternoon, we’ll be suspending close to 300 PC accounts that were found exploiting this issue. In addition to a 3-day suspension, affected accounts will have all skill points reset to their original state before this exploit occurred.

We encourage everyone to review the Terms of Service and Code of Conduct. If you’re unsure if you’ve found an exploit in ESO, please reach out to a staff member or contact Support.

From both perspectives, very nice work ZOS, Because from the players perspective people may not have been aware of this exploit & may have been suspended(Potentially by accident) for the three days, personally I do not mind this (Even though I am unaffected since I play on console) as it is employed like a safety precaution to ensure people are aware of it regardless because when people are playing this game, the players have to be responsible for anything & everything they do in accordance to the code of conduct, terms of use, etc.

always know though that, as a stickler for the rules, I do my fair share of bug hunting & if it undoubtedly feels or even looks like an exploit, I will be sure to report it accordingly, as an old saying goes: "No pain, No Gain."
    "When the human race learns to read the language of symbolism, a great veil will fall from the eyes of men." ~Manly P. Hall
  • Juli'St
    Juli'St
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last week, there was an exploit reported on PC that allowed you to repeatedly gain skill points from a single location.

But why have you banned that guy who reported too?

?
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh, I'm a bit disgusted.

I've been accused of white knighting for Zos, but banning the people who reported the exploit when they found it? That's... I can't even see how that's okay.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • out51d3r
    out51d3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    Juli'St wrote: »

?

They suspended multiple people who reported this bug. They suspended multiple people who didn't even realise they'd gained extra skill points. Reports are suggesting that they suspended people who only gained -1- extra skill point, immediately reported the bug, and never did it again.
    Edited by out51d3r on June 2, 2017 4:45AM
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to release Character boosters to 50, I have 14 alts and I'm over the grind.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SickDuck wrote: »
    3 day is good since they did not gain any long term advantage. Unlike xp, ap, gold or mats grinding exploiters.

Sorry but I don't agree needs to be longer and Zos needs to start setting examples to warn off this type of play

warn off what type of play? the type of play that ZOS punishes players for finding flaws in their game so they can fix it? because its the players that are in the wrong for this being a bug right?

it's one thing finding it but then sitting there and taking advantage of it is a different thing , but hey if you want everyone to take advantage of every exploit and ruin the game beyond belief then good for you
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit knows very good and honest players who have been caught up in this.

It's the most normal thing in the word, if in a public dungeon with a group of friendly travellers, to go and do each of the bosses several times to make sure everyone has got them yes.

Of all the exploiting issues that this one she is aware of this sounds the most likely to catch people who had no intention of doing any wrong.

Of course if someone has obviously acquired 100 skill points and has sat there for hours farming this one boss then give them a ban but if someone has only accidentally acquired an extra couple of points then it might be just better to remove the points - rather than upsetting players, making them cancel ESO Plus, even perhaps quitting? Leaving a bad taste in the mouth of good players is sometimes just not worth it.

Khajiit also hopes the bans will not count against these players in the future on this occasion.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    Here's a thought.

Whether true or not, I don't know, but people are claiming they had no clue about this and are now on suspension.

We know Zos knew, heck there was a thread on the forums - but it didn't say what dungeon(s).

What IF... when Zos knew, they put a popup in game stating "There is a known exploit pertaining the X and Y dungeons bosses. Please do not defeat these bosses more than once until a fix has been put in place"

That way, anyone who does it after that, is damn sure aware of it.

To be honest, it might stop some from exploiting it... since they know Zos knows.
    Been banging on at them about this for well over a year. I feel like a broken record and I am sure people are sick of hearing me mention EVE Online but this is how they've done it.

Known Exploits - Lists all know (unfixable) exploits in the game, as well as clarifying what isn't an exploit (ZOS could do well for this re animation cancelling).

This is what happens when an exploit is found and can't be immediately hotfixed. Announcement Link
    This appears on the launcher, the log in screen (before they removed news from that), and as a pinned forums thread. Probably posted on social media as well.
    Montayva wrote: »
    A friend and I discovered this (not claiming to be the first, by any means) while we were leveling our new toons and getting skyshards. Despite the fact that we reported it and left the area as soon as we realized what was going on, we both still got the banhammer :/ gg. Would like to know how they determined guilty parties. Skill point gain after entering this delve? I wonder how many innocent suspects are banned as they were leveling new Wardens (or new characters in general) like us and gathering shards and group event skill points.

wKaLnPu.png
    This is deeply troubling and once again I will say ZOS needs to pull their finger out and get a real in house security team which can work on issues rather than doing sweeping data collection bans.

@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Br1ckst0n
    Br1ckst0n
    ✭✭✭
    2nv8klw.png

[edited for profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on June 2, 2017 5:36PM
    Offtank of the year 2016
  • coplannb16_ESO
    coplannb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    wow, Iam really happy that I did not do the public delves in Morrowind. Of course people exploiting this should be sanctioned, but people playing the game and running into this by accident (maybe not even noticing it, I mean I do not check my skill points all the time). That is wrong.

Its hardly an exploit when I do a group encounter in a public delve twice or more times. If I happen to do it only because I get unlimited skill points, then yeah, there is an exploit (though arguable, because it is clear that this will be fixed and corrected anyway so where is the harm?).

Anyway, introducing bugs and then punishing your users when they run into them is really an awkward practice. Iam a software architect for business applications and we'd be out of business if we pulled crap like that real fast.... :|
    Edited by coplannb16_ESO on June 2, 2017 7:50AM
    max level: mDK, stamBlade, stamSorc, magPlar, mDen, stamDen, magBlade, stamCro
    ESO+
    # of mules: 4 (FULL)
    maxed bank: FULL -_-
    Stop the grind! Get rid of stupid events and daily-quest gallore. Get rid of "have a chance of 1 in a million to get a piece of 1 in 30 to get a stupid motif or pet... wtf..."
    And at this point just remove all classes and have everyone choose their set of skills. then balance accordingly to skills always used vs. skills never used.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They need to release Character boosters to 50, I have 14 alts and I'm over the grind.

No, no they do not.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • coplannb16_ESO
    coplannb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

No, no they do not.

Yeah, also leveling is not an issue. collecting all the skillpoints and leveling Undaunted, Mage Guild etc.pp. is...
    max level: mDK, stamBlade, stamSorc, magPlar, mDen, stamDen, magBlade, stamCro
    ESO+
    # of mules: 4 (FULL)
    maxed bank: FULL -_-
    Stop the grind! Get rid of stupid events and daily-quest gallore. Get rid of "have a chance of 1 in a million to get a piece of 1 in 30 to get a stupid motif or pet... wtf..."
    And at this point just remove all classes and have everyone choose their set of skills. then balance accordingly to skills always used vs. skills never used.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    only 3 days!!!????? I would ban them for at least a month so that they know what they "should do" next time when they find out about an exploitable bug!!§

Why only so few days ZOS???
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »
    Turelus wrote: »
    LiquidPony wrote: »
    Sheey wrote: »
    Will punishments be worse if any of these people were repeat offenders?

As I feel whilst this issue was reversible the fact we often see suspensions only leads people to promote exploiting, cash out before the suspension, take a suspension and enjoy the rewards still.

As I have posted many times in other threads about exploiting I feel ZOS would do well to adopt a strike system (if not already) to make sure first time offended who may not know better learn, but repeat offenders are eventually removed from the game.

No. Just No.

Repeat offenders should not be removed from the game. As long as it is game expirienced-related the punishments should stay ingame related and not account related.

Suspending someone from the game permanently is never to take in action just because someone abusing a bug in game. Permanently bans are reserved for Bots and system hacks ONLY.
    This is the procedure for almost every other MMO, there are clear ToS rules stating you are not to exploit bugs if encountered.

The issue we have with ESO and exploiting is that because ZOS has rarely ever made a harsh stance we literally see people telling one another to abuse bugs on the forums and have active groups within the game which find them and abuse for massive gains yet face only a temporary suspension.

I've been banging on about this for over a year now linking the same old information again and again. If ZOS wants ESO to have a reputation of a fair and competitive online game then they need to start taking actual actions against people who continuously exploit bugs for advantages in the game.

Here are some examples to prove I am not just touting rubbish.

https://community.eveonline.com/support/policies/suspension-and-ban-policy/
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-conduct-breaches-outcomes/
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/rule/manner05.html?pageID=manner

Maybe I'm a jerk, but, I feel like a more reasonable solution to this problem would be ... fix the bugs? Invest in a competent QA team? Hold the developers responsible for consistently releasing bug-riddled code that never gets fixed?

It just seems to me that if ZOS "wants ESO to have a reputation of a fair and competitive online game," then they should produce a game that isn't a donkey show of bugs, crashes, and lag.

Stuff like this leading to permabans would be a great way to let ESO rest in pepperoni. I've spent many an evening grinding Public Dungeons for various purposes (guild events, gear farm, gold farm, etc.).
    The issue and the reason a ToS exists is because not all bugs can be foreseen and fixed instantly. You have to remember there are groups who go on PTS to find issues, don't report them then abuse in the live game.

ToS which gives a company freedom to suspend or ban due to unforeseen bugs. It should only lead to a perma ban if a player constantly after one or two strikes continues to exploit bugs.

If you find a bug which can be exploited, report it, don't use it, don't get banned. It's that simple.

My point is that bugs like this one can easily be accidentally "exploited" by people who had no ill intent.

And there are other bugs that are "exploited" to work around broken content that can't be played otherwise.

And there are many potential bugs that are, by some definition, being "exploited" in competitive end-game content ... but of course we have no idea if those are actually bugs that we are exploiting or intentional mechanics.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that it cuts both ways. People should be banned for repeatedly exploiting known bugs, but ZOS should do a better job of communicating the existence of those bugs and then fixing them. The sheer number of bugs and exploits in this game is astounding.

If ZOS wants this to be a fair and competitive online game, the buck starts and stops with ZOS. Putting all of the blame on players, especially in cases like this, just allows ZOS to continue raking in cash for delivering broken content.

well yes, it can.

But an easy way to distinguish this is when someone gains 2 or 3 skill points like that and when someone other one gains 20 skill points farming this location for few hours, right?
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm so glad I didn't pre order Marrowind and accidentally get banned . Being a cheap skate pays off once again .
  • Montayva
    Montayva
    ✭✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »
    only 3 days!!!????? I would ban them for at least a month so that they know what they "should do" next time when they find out about an exploitable bug!!§

Why only so few days ZOS???

But a few that discovered it and DID report it also got banned, despite only gaining a couple sps and leaving the area immediately after reporting and realizing what was going on. Anyone who gained more than one skill point from that Boss, whether intentionally farmed or accidental, has been banned.

So next time i discover a bug or exploit "should" i just keep my mouth shut and get banned? Or report it and get banned?
    Montayva: EP, AD, DC Magplar | Mistress Montayva: AD, DC, EP Mag DK | Rharhey: EP, AD Mag Sorccrafters
    Nirnrewt/ Nutella/Nirncrux: AD, EP, DC Stamblades+Stamdens
    ES Cosplayer wannabe

Beholder of the power to unleash the QAM HAM
  • Grashek
    Grashek
    ✭✭
    So appeal to reverse ban denied by customer service, and I'm still not even sure WTF it was I did that "violated the terms of service" and was a "skill point exploit". Seriously ZOS....this has gotten beyond ridiculous. You suspend innocent players who stumbled onto some kind of exploit without knowing it, then they are left to appeal the exploit suspension WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING WHAT THEY DID IN THE FIRST PLACE! What I wrote above was based on a wild guess and forum speculation.

Only thing I can guess is that something I did involving gaining skill points happened to be bugged, and my account showed up in a database query from a given time range....then you just went ahead and suspended everyone who stumbled on the bug without any real consideration whatsoever. Seriously, why should anyone who accidentally stumbles onto a bug and gets randomly suspended bother with this game anymore?

Sounds like ZOS just did a database pull of whoever did the "bugged skill point gaining thing" within a certain window of time and suspended them with little or no consideration whatsoever of the circumstances (ie suspending people for playing the game normally and tripping over a bug without knowing it or intending to exploit it).

Yep. Came to this conclusion as well. I followed the thread now closely. So if it indeed was a group challenge that was rewarding players with multiple skillpoints - Please check my achievement history on my magicka warden (the one that did every public dungeon once) "Boreashek". You will see I did every public dungeon once. And I also did the two public dungeon quests in each zone. I assume that for some quest I probably cleared some group challenge a second time (definitely not more than that). If this exploit is about a groupchallenge then you can see on my account that I have a maximum of 1 extra skill point, that I have aquired while playing this game normally. This is scandalous. This needs further investigation.

I'm leaving town now, to visit my cousins wedding, I have put everything I did during this week in a timeline in a costumer ticket (note: you can't really select any category fitting for unjustifiedly banned, which is quite annoying). I was wearing purple training gear from level 5 to lvl 50. And I had crown store XP scrolls running (100% bonus) - and later as well (50% bonus) psiijc ambrosia pots during the leveling process of both my wardens. I hope this gets the second look it deserves...
    Guildmaster of Omnia Vincit - PVE Raiding Guild

I was the first player to unlock the Flawless Conquerer title on every Magicka / Stamina character combination possible including the wardens.

Characterlist:
    • Grashek, Highelf Sorcerer: Flawless Conquerer & Dro'Mathra-Destroyer & Former-Emperor
    • Lord Windermere, Imperial Dragonknight: Flawless Conquerer & Former-Emperor
    • Auri Moonfae, Highelf Templar: Flawless Conquerer
    • Nebulashek, Highelf Nightblade: Flawless Conquerer
    • S'Kinrai Ri, Khajiit Nightblade: Flawless Conquerer
    • Pytograshek, Highelf Dragonknight: Flawless Conquerer & Dro'Mathra-Destroyer
    • Fengrash, Redguard Dragonknight: Flawless Conquerer
    • Ghorbashek, Orc Templar: Flawless Conquerer
    • Ca'Tshek, Khajiit Sorc: Flawless Conquerer
    • Grashandra Philadoria, Darkelf Sorc: Flawless Conquerer
    • Legolashek, Bosmer Templar: Flawless Conquerer Roleplaymaster
    • Boreashek, Highelf Warden: Flawless Conquerer, first Warden on live server with that title.
    • Anaxagorashek, Redguard Khajiit Warden: Flawless Conquerer
  • Gruffysb16_ESO
    Gruffysb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I was also affected and have written them a scathing support ticket, I was also someone who reported the bug and commented on it in the bug forums. Zenimax this is the sort of thing that happens to innocent players when you force your players into a mandatory beta test on live servers!

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4186244#Comment_4186244

If your going to ban people for a bug you introduced I fully expect to be compensated for all the the broken quests, armless/bodyless npcs, broken dungeon and Battleground finder, broken pet mechanics ect.

In fact seeing as the dungeon finder has been broken for the last 3 months I'd like to request a full ESO Plus refund for those 3 months as I was unable to play the content I had paid for as it was intended.

Is this likely to happen, no it isn't......I dont know why I continue to support you guys by purchasing a subscription.
    Edited by Gruffysb16_ESO on June 2, 2017 11:40AM
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I have posted many times in other threads about exploiting I feel ZOS would do well to adopt a strike system (if not already) to make sure first time offended who may not know better learn, but repeat offenders are eventually removed from the game.

What I'd suggest:
    1st strike: 1 month account ban
    2nd strike: 3 month account ban
    3rd strike: Permaban the account
    XBN6719.gif?1

EDIT: It would help if ZOS posts (either on the forums on the ESO website) what is an exploit when they find it.

Example, "Doing action X is an exploit. As of June 2nd, anyone caught doing it will be considered an exploiter and banned accordingly."
    Edited by Lord_Draevan on June 2, 2017 10:30AM
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I already said it, but I hope all of you guys that want a 1 month ban run inot a bug like this after so you can get an unjustified suspension.
  • Gruffysb16_ESO
    Gruffysb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

What I'd suggest:

Yeah but that's just stupid, isn't it. In this instance you wouldn't know you had commented an exploit until you had actually done it and all you actually would have done is to kill a boss at the end of a dungeon....1 month ban for that.

What exactly would you expect a new player to take away from that experience if it happened?

When Zenimax discovered the problem last week (and it was pointed out to them many time by many people) they should have disabled that boss, instead they were lazy and did nothing. If it was such a huge problem they should not have waited a week+ to do something about it.
    Edited by Gruffysb16_ESO on June 2, 2017 10:15AM
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What I'd suggest:

Yeah but that's just stupid, isn't it. In this instance you wouldn't know you had commented an exploit until you had actually done it and all you actually would have done is to kill a boss at the end of a dungeon....1 month ban for that.

True, it would help if ZOS posts (either on the forums on the ESO website) what is an exploit when they find it.

Example, "Doing action X is an exploit. As of June 2nd, anyone caught doing it will be considered an exploiter and banned accordingly."
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • Br1ckst0n
    Br1ckst0n
    ✭✭✭

What I'd suggest:
    XBN6719.gif?1

I suggest a permanent forum ban for questioning their ban durations.

giphy.gif

Edited by Br1ckst0n on June 2, 2017 10:29AM
    Offtank of the year 2016
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What I'd suggest:

True, it would help if ZOS posts (either on the forums on the ESO website) what is an exploit when they find it.

Surly by now people should know you only get one skill point from a group dungeon , so when they were getting 2 3 4 skill points they should have know this wasn't right , so I see no excuse