The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which abilities/skills does the Stygian set ACTUALLY apply to? IS it working as intended?

chiipso
chiipso
✭✭✭
Set description: (5 items) Stygian: Increases your damage done with Magicka abilities by 20% while sneaking or invisible. (taken from pts patch notes v3-0-5)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/345258/pc-mac-patch-notes-v3-0-5-morrowind-update-14

I've been testing this set on pts and live trying to work out which skills this set actually buffs from stealth.

First of all "magicka abilities" suggests and ability that costs magicka right? So this would assume this affects lightning/fire/cold AND magical damage correct?

BUT for arguments sake I've tested this on a magicka templar using the skill Dark Flare (costs magicka and does magical damage) so I've got both covered!
The stygian did not buff my Dark Flare damage at all, whether I was stealthed or not, I was hitting the exact same figure.

Some may say I break stealth when I cast the ability. True it does say "detected" as soon as the cast ends, however pre-patch this was not an issue the Stygian buff was being applied regardless in all my testing over many various skills.

So my question is, is this set broken? AND/OR which skill does this set actually apply to and buff?

Has anyone else done any testing, if so what are your results?

Also any general thoughts/suggestions are welcome!
  • chiipso
    chiipso
    ✭✭✭
    Edit:

It does work with Concealed Weapon (could be something to with cloak)
    It does not work with Dark Flare
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    chiipso wrote: »
    First of all "magicka abilities" suggests and ability that costs magicka right? So this would assume this affects lightning/fire/cold AND magical damage correct?
    First, you're trying to apply intuition to ZoS's design intent. Good luck with that. (That's on them, not you, btw.)

Second, yes and no.

By the wording, it should apply to abilities that cost magicka which is not the same as abilities/effects that cause magical damage.

So, Ult's, for instance would be unaffected (they cost zero magicka), as would light and heavy attacks, glyph procs, set procs, etc.
    Some may say I break stealth when I cast the ability. True it does say "detected" as soon as the cast ends, however pre-patch this was not an issue the Stygian buff was being applied regardless in all my testing over many various skills.
    Sounds like you already have your answer. If you're detected, you're no longer stealthed...

"pre-patch" results don't matter. Sometimes, by accident, they actually fix things to work as (actually) intended.

Pre-patch, the buff was already present prior to casting anything. Post patch, such is no longer the case.

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on June 1, 2017 11:38AM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • chiipso
    chiipso
    ✭✭✭
    First, you're trying to apply intuition to ZoS's design intent. Good luck with that. (That's on them, not you, btw.)

Second, yes and no.

By the wording, it should apply to abilities that cost magicka which is not the same as abilities/effects that cause magical damage.

So, Ult's, for instance would be unaffected (they cost zero magicka), as would light and heavy attacks, glyph procs, set procs, etc.
    Sounds like you already have your answer. If you're detected, you're no longer stealthed...

"pre-patch" results don't matter. Sometimes, by accident, they actually fix things to work as (actually) intended.

Pre-patch, the buff was already present prior to casting anything. Post patch, such is no longer the case.

So basically a caster that does not have cloak cannot use a spell and benefit from stygian.. a magicka based dps set lol good one ZOS
  • chiipso
    chiipso
    ✭✭✭
    Interstingly, if I drink an invisibility potion after I cast a Crystal Fragment but before it hits the target, I gain the stygian buff. Such a crazy way to limit the use of this set -.- shame really
  • PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does dark flare take you out of crouch? For instance, drain essence does not take you out of crouch. My guess is outside of invisibility, the initial damage is buffed by Stygian. With invisibility, magicka abilities will all be buffed by it.

Exceptions might be nightblade skills, but my guess is that magicka skills for other classes that pull you out of crouch apply damage after getting out of crouch. Probably could test now that the other stealth bonuses are gone in this update.
    PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB
  • chiipso
    chiipso
    ✭✭✭
    Does dark flare take you out of crouch? For instance, drain essence does not take you out of crouch. My guess is outside of invisibility, the initial damage is buffed by Stygian. With invisibility, magicka abilities will all be buffed by it.

Exceptions might be nightblade skills, but my guess is that magicka skills for other classes that pull you out of crouch apply damage after getting out of crouch. Probably could test now that the other stealth bonuses are gone in this update.

Thats how it used to work, it would say detected as the cast fired, but would still buff your damage.

However this patch, from my testing, caster skills like Dark Flare, Crystal Frag etc.. still say detected when fired but this time the stygian buff is not applied.

So I wonder if this was intended or not, as it severly limits the sets capabilities, it is primarily a gank set after all.
  • PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats how it used to work, it would say detected as the cast fired, but would still buff your damage.

However this patch, from my testing, caster skills like Dark Flare, Crystal Frag etc.. still say detected when fired but this time the stygian buff is not applied.

So I wonder if this was intended or not, as it severely limits the sets capabilities, it is primarily a gank set after all.

I'm on PS4 so I still have a few days before I can test, but my general thought is that they may of classified certain skills as to when stealth damage is detected. My guess is that they probably purposely changed it as they changed the global stealth damage bonus and specifically altered this set to up magicka damage (before it modified spell damage and magicka pool but the magicka pool would not work unless you switched bars).

My guess is that they altered non-NB skills to not have any damage applied before the detection occurred which then would affect Stygian working. This would also explain why these skills work on other classes when using invis pots as I would think that since that is primarily a NB skill (outside of pots) they only did this change to stealth but not invisibility.

A good test would be to see if non-class skills such as destro skills still work with stygian from stealth/crouch. My theory would be that they would since NB could use that, while non-NB class skills will not. I would then further guess that ALL skills work will work with invis pots and shadowy disguise.

This is similar to how elf bane benefits anyone with a fire destro staff but primarily is a magic DK set.
    PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB