Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvP 1 on 1 survival question

NatomasAce
NatomasAce
Soul Shriven
Am I wrong to think that ability to survive in PvP is directly related to physical resistance? Lately when I fall under crowd control in a one-on-one fight I die before I can shake it off and try to recover. I mean less than 2 seconds. I'm a Breton templar wearing heavy armor with 30K+ physical resistance and typically focus on my healing abilities in group fights or protecting siege weapons, or acting as a scout. My traits are generally aligned to healing and distance weapons (Bow is my go to), but I keep the dawnbreaker ultimate on standby in case I need to knock someone back to get enough room to escape.

Any suggestions? I don't see myself going with a DPS build, but wondering if offense is a better defense than what I've been trying.
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impen is more important and knowing when go block/dodge roll
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, are u a magic templar tank using bow? Lol
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Physical resistance is ok but spell resistance is just as important and crit resist is more important than both.
    Edited by DHale on April 19, 2017 10:00PM
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Neloth
    Neloth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Already mentioned, but

> Breton templar

> Healer

> 30K+ physical resistance

> Bow is my go to

> dawnbreaker

> On top of that, scout (heavy armor scouting tank? о_О)

You possible run some sort of hybrid build, which is currently not viable at all. Try to follow some PvP-oriented build, focusing on reaching good spell/phisical/critical resistances, and good number of your healing abilities. Also, dropping bow for sword and shield can help a lot.
  • NatomasAce
    NatomasAce
    Soul Shriven
    Neloth wrote: »
    Already mentioned, but

> Breton templar

> Healer

> Bow is my go to

> dawnbreaker

You possible run some sort of hybrid build, which is currently not viable at all. Try to follow some PvP-oriented build, focusing on reaching good spell/phisical/critical resistances, and good number of your healing abilities. Also, dropping bow for sword and shield can help a lot.

This is my PvE game setuo that I use which I know isn't ideal for PvP. The rationale for the setup is my gameplay style is to usually hang back and protect the siege weapons / heal front line players (thus the tank / healing combo) and the bow I use with Snipe to mark players from the second line of an attack or from keep walls while doing distance damage. If I do end up on the front line it's typically my ultimate / bow skills I use to generate DPS.

Agree sword / shield is a more compelling build for PvP. My tank healer is really useful on delves / dungeons as I usually go with a healing ultimate for that, but it's junk in PvP.
  • NatomasAce
    NatomasAce
    Soul Shriven
    Neloth wrote: »
    Already mentioned, but

> Breton templar

> Healer

> Bow is my go to

> dawnbreaker

I'm definitely favoring the tank / healing side and DPS is a secondary consideration. Think of me as a "support" player more than a front line guy. I'm just a loss for how ineffective the defense is when I'm hit. The earlier comments on spell crit are very helpful. I wasn't thinking about spell damage or crit damage, which is probably where most of the hits I'm taking are coming from. .
  • Neloth
    Neloth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't quote you previous message, since writing from tab now, sorry.

The answer to your initial question - NO, you can't just go wear heavy armor and expect to be tanky and effective in PvP, it's not a delve. High resistances help, but only in small degree.

For example - a lot of people here have up to 17k penetration, which leaves you with only 13k reisitances, and it's medium armor level.

To make heavy armor work well you have to:
    1) have good crit resist, but you already know it
    2) use sword and shield at least on 1 bar, to block heavy burts (or just permablock in some cases)
    3) use heals, and those heals need to be actually good (I see you using magicka heals, while also using stamina skills, I'm sure your attributes are not optimized)

So you basically don't have a way to mitigate damage (no block), you heals are pretty weak, and you get all the crits. Of course for now you'll be destroyed by any average player in a few seconds, with the same success you could have came to PvP naked.
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is a Ropleplay build that has no place in pvp.

If you can't even heal yourself to stay alive how are you supposed to support others?

Cheers!
    Edited by KingYogi415 on April 20, 2017 2:09AM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impen on most pieces maybe reinforced on chest or shield. If you're playing in a cp campaign then properly distributing your points to boost heals and reduce block costs and ability cost is very important. If you're dying quickly in a 1v1 as a tank build Templar then something or probably many things are very wrong. At that point I'd suggest asking some guild members who pvp a lot to help you through a build, or visit some of the theory crafters like Deltia who loves templars, or Alcast who also does very detailed builds with explanation videos. This will help get you started in understanding how it all works and then you can adjust to your play style later on.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NatomasAce wrote: »
    Am I wrong to think that ability to survive in PvP is directly related to physical resistance? Lately when I fall under crowd control in a one-on-one fight I die before I can shake it off and try to recover. I mean less than 2 seconds. I'm a Breton templar wearing heavy armor with 30K+ physical resistance and typically focus on my healing abilities in group fights or protecting siege weapons, or acting as a scout. My traits are generally aligned to healing and distance weapons (Bow is my go to), but I keep the dawnbreaker ultimate on standby in case I need to knock someone back to get enough room to escape.

Any suggestions? I don't see myself going with a DPS build, but wondering if offense is a better defense than what I've been trying.

@NatomasAce good for you for putting yourself out there and asking questions :)

literally, I was too embarrassed to even mention much what I was wearing when I first joined the forums - my builds were a hot mess...

so, you're a breton templar - your strengths are in magicka, you should be wearing some light armor, 5 pieces would be best, if you want some extra protection add a heavy set with jewelry...

try to set your attributes so you have at least 50 plus in magicka...

you can have a dps build, a really strong one...read through all your class skills carefully - templars are also loaded with heals and shields (including my fave rune focus)...

offensively templar has both ranged and melee moves...careful with your stamina - you won't have much to use...

drop your bow - yesterday :o

you can always create another character that's a little more bow friendly...

I hate to break it to you - but, you probably need to pick up a destro staff...

the destro staff has a nice knockdown move also - destructive something or another...

for templars - our "get up off me" move is the javelin...useless against some folks whom have temporary knockback immunity...but, will buy you a second or so in an emergency, and help you establish range in zerg fights...

until you level you're destro staff, you may wanna use that nice sun dropping ult...

you can set your other bar to heal - man, you can make a ton of AP healing folks in cyro - shields are your friends on that bar :)

the clothes maketh the character - is very true...you should be rocking at least two sets...think in terms of: offensive, defensive and sustain...

how you mix those types is determined by your playstyle...

best of luck...have fun...
    Edited by geonsocal on April 20, 2017 5:05AM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Heavy magplars, well geared, can be very difficult to take down but you are barking up the wrong tree with the bow and dawnbreaker. If you want to heal, go S&B with resto staff. If you want to be a tank, looking into blazing shield builds. If you want something more rounded, go DW/S&B or destro/S&B.

Your knock back should be destro reach or javelin, not an ult. Use destro for ranged damage, not a bow. All attributes into magicka.

I suggest for a tanky dps build Skoria, Rattlecage, Transmutation S&B and maelstrom inferno destro or DW Torug's Pact. You have to farm rattlecage but transmutation is cheap. 5 heavy, 1 medium, 1 light if you have max undaunted, otherwise run 5 heavy 2 light. 1 cost reduction 2 spell damage enchants. Thief mundas and purple food; run atronach mundas or witchmothers or switch an enchant to magicka regen if you have trouble sustaining at first.

Put your heals on your S&B/Transmutation bar. Infused/prismatic enchants on helm, chest and legs, impen on small pieces. Sturdy on a few won't hurt if that's what you get. Vampire; mist form is life for a low mobility class. You will be very tanky even tho the stats look low on paper, but good group support and still able to win most 1v1 match-ups, and your heals and purges will support the siege line. 1vX... not likely but possible. Keep your templar house and buffs up.

In a 1v1 use purifying light and weave with crushing shock for ranged dps. Switch to sweeps for melee and radiant for execute at 20-25%. Refresh Light every time it pops and timeto your ultimate (meteor) right before Purifying Light pops then hit javelin/flame reach right after you cast meteor so they are cc'd and can't block it.
    Edited by NBrookus on April 20, 2017 5:11AM
  • NatomasAce
    NatomasAce
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks all, this is very helpful. I clearly didn't have an appreciation for how differently you had to think about the builds in PvP. I'll strip down the character and look at a more extensive rebuild based on what's been suggested above. The world has definitely changed in the year or so I've taken off from PvP :-)
  • NatomasAce
    NatomasAce
    Soul Shriven
    geonsocal wrote: »

@NatomasAce good for you for putting yourself out there and asking questions :)

literally, I was too embarrassed to even mention much what I was wearing when I first joined the forums - my builds were a hot mess...

so, you're a breton templar - your strengths are in magicka, you should be wearing some light armor, 5 pieces would be best, if you want some extra protection add a heavy set with jewelry...

try to set your attributes so you have at least 50 plus in magicka...

you can have a dps build, a really strong one...read through all your class skills carefully - templars are also loaded with heals and shields (including my fave rune focus)...

offensively templar has both ranged and melee moves...careful with your stamina - you won't have much to use...

drop your bow - yesterday :o

you can always create another character that's a little more bow friendly...

I hate to break it to you - but, you probably need to pick up a destro staff...

the destro staff has a nice knockdown move also - destructive something or another...

for templars - our "get up off me" move is the javelin...useless against some folks whom have temporary knockback immunity...but, will buy you a second or so in an emergency, and help you establish range in zerg fights...

until you level you're destro staff, you may wanna use that nice sun dropping ult...

you can set your other bar to heal - man, you can make a ton of AP healing folks in cyro - shields are your friends on that bar :)

the clothes maketh the character - is very true...you should be rocking at least two sets...think in terms of: offensive, defensive and sustain...

how you mix those types is determined by your playstyle...

best of luck...have fun...

Agree you just have to throw yourself out there, especially when you have something that is just not working to figure out what's going wrong. The majority of feedback has been very helpful in understanding where I'm going wrong and what I need to do to correct.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree you just have to throw yourself out there, especially when you have something that is just not working to figure out what's going wrong. The majority of feedback has been very helpful in understanding where I'm going wrong and what I need to do to correct.

howdy @NatomasAce ...it was (still is at times) humbling...

man, i thought just because i did well in pve and zerg fighting in cyrodiil my builds were all okay (i have 8 characters currently)...

to be honest - people were really cool to me when i asked questions and described my build - it wasn't until i started to really carefully read what people were saying ("oh, so you're a healer carrying a 2H weapon, interesting") that i started figuring out that maybe i was missing something (a lot of something)...

what really convinced me to start "maximizing" my builds was playing in Imperial City and doing the vet undaunted pledges...

in those scenarios your build deficiencies really come to light...

read an old comment from fengrush yesterday that really stuck with me...to paraphrase - unless you are maximizing your build your are just going to end up competing (in pvp) against better versions of yourself...that about sums it up right there...

your gear, food/drink, mundus stone choice - all can have a significant impact on just how well you perform on some of the tougher content: pledges and small scale pvp...

initially all my characters used the warrior or apprentice stone...at the time, it seemed obvious that they were good choices...truth is, i just didn't really understand fully what all those damage numbers and percentages mean...

hurt my pride though for awhile having to "conform" to more "meta" builds...my breton nightblade started off as a stamblade (with a bow :# ) - he is much happier and successful now though as a magblade toting around a destro staff :)

It's been a slow (and expensive) transition for me - about 4 months or so now...so much easier and more satisfying to compete though...

once, you start making some changes - would love to hear what direction you end up going in with your builds...

take care - geo :)
    Edited by geonsocal on April 20, 2017 5:44PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DHale wrote: »
    Physical resistance is ok but spell resistance is just as important and crit resist is more important than both.

What @dhale says is the most common response. Personally I think it's Physical, then Spell and crit a distant 3rd but no one ever agrees with me.

I like my island.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reactive armor directly addresses your particular issue OP.

Transmutation is another good option, when you 3kish impen damage is reduced quite a bit. Some people use both, although I don't see that as viable after the next big patch.