The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Secondary healing set for my sorcerer

Asardes
Asardes
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
To clarify from the beginning I do have a standard Templar healer already running Spell Power Cure and Worm Cult full sets, and it works perfectly. However I also want to experience healing on other classes. I have a mature magicka sorcerer and a few sets to play around. I have already gotten Sentinel of Rkugamz set in divines, all weight combos for head & shoulders but I don't have a master restoration yet, as I haven't run VDSA recently and I will not farm it for quite some time and I want to rely on gear that I have already acquired for now. I also have a few other healing sets, the most complete being Combat Physician. It seems like an interesting set since I run with high critical chance and rely on HoTs so plenty of chances for it to proc from those ticks if people take damage. I have that in divines, except the hands, which can be farmed pretty easily from WS1/2 normal mini-bosses. Other options would be Sanctuary, which I mostly have in Impenetrable as I intend to use it when I take my Templar in Cyrodiil and Gossamer which I have complete in both divines and impenetrable, as I haven't yet decided if it's better for PvE or PvP. Has anyone played with those sets and can provide some feedback?
Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
Member of:
Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
Valinor Overflow: Trader
The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
Member of:
Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Shanjijri
    Shanjijri
    ✭✭✭✭
    NB healer here. I am trying Rkugamz and I think it is a good and bad set. Most of the time, the spider pops where the player was... It works if the players do not move too much. I like this set, but I feel bad when my spider stays alone in the corner.

We really need a skill from Undaunted, like the orbs, to restore stamina.
  • Lore_lai
    Lore_lai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have tried healing on MagSorc and it's extremely fun!!
    Personally I ran Necro + SPC + Master staves (destro/resto) for a more damage oriented healer.
    And when I couldn't, or the scamp would be more of an inconvenience because of mechanics, it would be my flex spot.

Personally, for 4-man dungeons I ran Resto Ulti (Light's Champion) instead of Warhorn as it's soooooo good, it's like a mini-Warhorn + a crazy heal + mitigation and you can have very, very good uptime on it. The tooltip doesn't do it justice because it makes you think it can only proc on one person, but the individual ticks (with the attached effects that will last individually for 5 seconds) can go to any ally that needs a heal.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there, good to see you trying out something different! Do you intend to heal dungeons, trials, or both?

Gossamer is much more effective in a dungeon setting than trials. For trials, it's not very useful except in Sanctum. It won't provide any benefit to the tank if he/she is maintaining Major Evasion, but everyone else should have a moderate chance by which to proc it, though the up-time tends to be fairly low.

Combat Physician is also a set better suited for dungeons than trials. The damage shield is respectable, but it tends to get eaten up very quickly in tougher content. There's a bit of a balance with this set, as sometimes the damage shield is going to occur at the perfect moment, and thus be very useful. Other times, your allies are going to have a damage shield when there's no reason to have one. In those cases, it would be better to have some kind of utility that is beneficial all the time (you mentioned Worm Cult, that's a good example).

Sanctuary is a good alternative to either of those. It's not absolutely necessary in many situations, but in others it can make a big difference. I recommend Sanctuary as an alternative to IA for those groups that have the whole "lightning damage / vulnerability / off-balance" situation figured out... you might be familiar with this concept already. Bottom line: it's a pretty good option.

Either one is going to be fine for you in dungeons and normal trials. In veteran trials you are probably better off with a different set, but I'm guessing that since this is an alt and you have a well-geared Templar already, you're probably not talking about vet trials.

Lastly, one thing that's not on your list that works particularly well for a dungeon-delving Sorc healer is Necropotence. Not only does it boost your own generic heals (e.g. Combat Prayer, Springs), but since your Matriarch scales only with your max magicka, it's also boosting her potency by quite a bit. Some food for thought; it's kind of a grind to get, and not a BiS option for vet trials, though very fun to use.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I once used Combat Physican + Trinimac's Valor on a healer because I thought it would be fun for healing dungeons. It was serviceable, but unfortunately pretty weak compared to other sets.

The cooldowns (6 sec for Combat Physician and 5 sec for Trinimac) for both sets absolutely destroy their value. This game is always about burst healing - which is sad for potentially cool sets.
  • Lore_lai
    Lore_lai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes hate that SPC is BiS for a healer :/
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how about Meritorious Service set?
    can it proc multiple times to cover 12 ppl in trial or is it really limited to 4?
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healing mage set if doing trials. Julianos so you can dps for 4 man's.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers. I won't bring anything but DK Tank and Templar Healer in trials, with BiS gear. I will only be healing in 4 man dungeons on my sorcerer. And about burst healing, I really don't use that much on my Templar either. I usually try to stack HoTs and run a high crit setup that ensures about 2/3 ticks from those will crit and keep everyone at full health. As burst heal I've found combat prayer quite adequate. I only use BoL on my Templar maybe 2-3 times during a dungeon run and sometimes I even forget it's even there so I may not even use the Matriarch on my Sorc. From the tool tip it's not very clear if Combat Physician can proc multiple targets at the same time, or the proc is limited to just one ally at a time. I've found shields to be really useful in hard content, so those are not negligible. If the proc is limited to just one player then maybe Sanctuary is better. I may not even need to farm a separate set for that. Running the 5 Impenetrable already I have instead of 3 Divines I'm missing really doesn't make much of a difference and will save storage space in the future.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • WarpigFunk
    WarpigFunk
    ✭✭✭
    My templar healer has

Spell Power Cure
    Infallible Aether
    Mending
    Twilight Remedy
    and Worms.

I'll use 5 pc SPC, with 5 pcs of any of the other sets depending on the group / content I'm healing.
    PS4 [NA]
    Hingle McKringleberry - Altmer MagSorc DD The Flawless Conquerer
    Sek Sual Chocolate - Redguard StamSorc DD Stormproof
    Doktor Feelgood - Breton Templar Healz Boethia's Scythe
    Tiberius Asskickatron - Imperial DK StamTank Mageslayer
    -VERIFIED-
    -FFF-
    vAAHM 100k+, vSOHM 100k+, vHRCHM 100k+, vMoL 78k, vDSA 36k, vMA 535k
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once used Combat Physican + Trinimac's Valor on a healer because I thought it would be fun for healing dungeons. It was serviceable, but unfortunately pretty weak compared to other sets.

The cooldowns (6 sec for Combat Physician and 5 sec for Trinimac) for both sets absolutely destroy their value. This game is always about burst healing - which is sad for potentially cool sets.

I once did that, Combat Physician could be better if the shield applied to more than one target (even if weaker) because there are times where the shield would have been more useful on someone else, if someone is getting critically healed, then they are probably going to be okay which can render it useless.

As for Trinimac's valor, it has seen better days. They ninja nerfed it to a static 20% chance regardless of how many wards are applied to players/pets within a single cast and then not being able to critically strike without compensation really sucks.

Prayer's Shawl looks fun, never tested but the chance of applying (on healing existent damage btw) would require some HoTs to be effective.

Redistributor was a fun set, emitting another HoT to the most injured every few seconds.

Sentinel of Rkugamz provides a little Dwarven spider that AoE HoTs and grants stamina.

Troll King is probably my favorite healers set, not even that bad on vampires, the 1k health regeneration buff is strong with no cooldown and can be reapplied to many targets.

Chokethorn At a chance of casting an ability this stranger heals for quite a bit of health over a short period of time, will be using him on my warden.

Kagrenac's Hope for the fast revives that restore magic, and maintaining spell damage.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll probably go for Necropotence as the Twilight only scales of max magical. That's also a good set for DPS if I decide to slot the scamp instead.
    Edited by Asardes on April 4, 2017 5:45PM

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Kozai
    Kozai
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    From the tool tip it's not very clear if Combat Physician can proc multiple targets at the same time, or the proc is limited to just one ally at a time. I've found shields to be really useful in hard content, so those are not negligible. If the proc is limited to just one player then maybe Sanctuary is better.

I was pretty excited about Combat Physician paired with SPC, figuring if they are at full they would get damage buffed and if they were damaged they would get a nice shield from the same HoT cast. Then I found out that Combat Physician only procs on one person, have to wait 6 seconds for the next. I still think it could be nice for 4-person dungeons, just not trials where affecting only 1 person isn't terribly useful.

Conversely, I had a hard time convincing myself that Gossamer, by providing a 10% chance to get Major Evasion, which gives you a 20% chance to dodge an attack, would be super noticable. That is a 2% chance to actually avoid damage, which just seemed very low, compared to a 50% chance (assuming ~50% crit chance) to generate a shield of half to 2/3 of someone's hit points.

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just dont see how you get around SPC if you are trying to be a serious healer. On a sorc, you are almost certainly running pets, so I think the obvious thing to pair it with is Necro if you are trying to be a little unorthodox. Otherwise, I would frankly just run your templar gear on your sorc. You goal is still to buff your group and provide resources, hard to beat SPC on Worm, no matter what class you are on.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer healer are the best... just saying...okay, ignoring my bias.

I think Twilight Remedy, Spell power cure, necro, worm are all amazing sets along with twlight born star starting off.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/dark-priestess-pug-proof/

my healing build for sorcerer, test in almost everything including veteran trials.

Edited by Tasear on April 17, 2017 8:19AM