The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hybrid defenses/survivability

Metemsycosis
Metemsycosis
✭✭✭✭
This conversation is more geared to magic-first builds, but I imagine could be oriented towards stamina toons too. So much of the hybrid conversation takes place surrounding hybrid offenses; I'm more interested in defense.

The idea started in my head wanting to build a dunmer magicka nb that requires no restoration staff and isn't as concerned with healing as much as mitigation, through dodge roll, block, and maybe even magicka shields. I am wondering how much stamina, stamina recovery, and tumbling would be needed to be able to dodge roll as a potentially primary source of damage mitigation.

A build idea might be, let's say, necropotence with medium clever alchemist or maybe Stygian. Prismatic glyphs and tri food. Unfortunately five pieces of medium do zilch for magicka users, in terms of their offensive capabilities. But I love dodge roll and if I ever wanted to include melee in my attack scheme would need either dodging or blocking.

Speaking of blocking. It seems to me the magicka Templar and magicka DK already hybrid-ize their survivability, even if their stats stack towards magicka.

What do you think, brilliant forum haunters?
Edited by Metemsycosis on April 13, 2017 5:02AM
Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • KniteShayd
    KniteShayd
    ✭✭
    Personally, if you want to be a dodge roller, i would go with a build that either benefits from dodge rolling (Eternal Hunt, Senche, Morihaus, etc), &/or strongly look at race and set bonus for stam regen.
    Dodge rolling is great if you have a gimmick, or can manage your resources; but I don't see viability in pvp without those.
    Some abilities that give you dodge chance , shields, and help prevent CC will certainly help.
    You also want to look at Well Fitted armor, & make sure you max Dodge Roll reductionin CP & other passives as much as possible.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KniteShayd wrote: »
    Personally, if you want to be a dodge roller, i would go with a build that either benefits from dodge rolling (Eternal Hunt, Senche, Morihaus, etc), &/or strongly look at race and set bonus for stam regen.
    Dodge rolling is great if you have a gimmick, or can manage your resources; but I don't see viability in pvp without those.
    Some abilities that give you dodge chance , shields, and help prevent CC will certainly help.
    You also want to look at Well Fitted armor, & make sure you max Dodge Roll reductionin CP & other passives as much as possible.

I'm currently exploring adding dodge avoidance to magplar (what I'm calling a "Monk" style build.) It's not easy and LA/HA don't benefit dodge roll like MA does.

Really depends also on what you want dodge roll to do.
    I'd roll a stam build if I want to be this all the time while gaining huge dmg bonus from your high Stam pool:
    v7OQLC.gif

Three well fitted traits (15% reduction!) is the most you can do on a mag toon in my experience without giving up on impen stats while retaining high dmg reduction from CP. Any more and you'll lose too much survivability (even three is pushing it). Luckily if you roll with undaunted Passives, slotting one medium armor gets you another 4% reduction (plus the full 6% extra undaunted resources). But dodge is not the same avoidance a Stam class gets meaning only use it for those really heavy bursts you know you'll have to eat otherwise you'll be bleeding Stam you need to use for break free. With my build I use it liberally to help reset sweeps behind people, dodge 4+ incoming frags (lol and they say RD is terrible in zergs lol) or dodge insane nightblade burst but that's about it.

You need a snare immunity as a mag build. Much cheaper to avoid that trash-play than to dodge roll around only to get snared again. I've had success running with 20ish points in warlord, and using two hander's Forward Momentum. Only costs 2k after getting the passive and gives you 8 seconds of immunity in which you can move freely and heal/do dmg. Otherwise you have to roll vamp and slot mistform which locks your toon and shuts off your mag recovery.

A magicka class could make use of spectre eye set. You'll need to pair it with a dmg set due to the health/Physical resistance traits, but everytime you cast a spell you gain major evasion for a couple of seconds. Just backbar it on your defense bar, use a cheap mag skill, and proc dodge avoidance at will when you need to add extra defense without using stamina.

You could also use evasion. You'll need to be mindful to keep the buff up all the time to avoid being in a fight without it (5k+ cost is huge for a mag build).

That's it for now.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Sheuib
    Sheuib
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could try a crafted medium armor set that gives magicka bonuses. It actually sounds kind of interesting. I'm going look into more myself.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    KniteShayd wrote: »

Nice idea thank you. I forgot eternal hunt gives no weapon damage bonus, which would be a waste
    The idea is paired with a damage or Max magicka set (like bsw or necropotence) I might yet be able to reach enough spell damage . I find I need 2K unbuffed spell damage (and over 3K buffed) to be effective in pvp. Along with high critical damage that is.

The only races I've looked into are dunmer for the max magicka and max stamina bonuses - and wood elf (stam recovery and stealth damage bonus).

sanguinare vampiris

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcs have a nice advantage in this.

Had a few builds run pure stam regen + dark conversion/heavy attack

Roll dodge + streak + wards = never gonna die

Because I did that I used Red Mountain and Skoria (my attacks would *not* have nearly enough damage to kill on their own)

It was a bow and destro build. Nothing but CCs and DoTs. The 10k dmg in PvP every 5 secs and 5k every 2 would be enough to kill. Dunmer.

A lot of people were very surprised they died.
    Edited by Waffennacht on April 13, 2017 6:58PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorcs have a nice advantage in this.

Had a few builds run pure stam regen + dark conversion/heavy attack

Roll dodge + streak + wards = never gonna die

Because I did that I used Red Mountain and Skoria (my attacks would *not* have nearly enough damage to kill on their own)

It was a bow and destro build. Nothing but CCs and DoTs. The 10k dmg in PvP every 5 secs and 5k every 2 would be enough to kill. Dunmer.

A lot of people were very surprised they died.

That's similar to my thinking, except with the nightblade toolkit - and that build sounds really frustrating to play against! :)

sanguinare vampiris

• Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    Three well fitted traits (15% reduction!) is the most you can do on a mag toon in my experience without giving up on impen stats while retaining high dmg reduction from CP. Any more and you'll lose too much survivability (even three is pushing it). Luckily if you roll with undaunted Passives, slotting one medium armor gets you another 4% reduction (plus the full 6% extra undaunted resources). But dodge is not the same avoidance a Stam class gets meaning only use it for those really heavy bursts you know you'll have to eat otherwise you'll be bleeding Stam you need to use for break free. With my build I use it liberally to help reset sweeps behind people, dodge 4+ incoming frags (lol and they say RD is terrible in zergs lol) or dodge insane nightblade burst but that's about it.

exactly the sort of info I was looking for

sanguinare vampiris